Picking Up Transmissions: Speculation With Spoilers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

16937 replies to this topic

stele3

stele3

Fanatic

Posted Oct 12, 2004 @ 9:59 PM

Ok, so we've got a "Spoilers" thread, and it's all very well and good, but there's quite a bit of speculation going on in there, as opposed to concrete spoilers. And we've got a "Speculation Without Spoilers" thread, but clearly we can't have that whole section filled with black bars, or Dan Kwa will "kill us where we stand," to borrow a phrase from Glark.

So here's the Speculation WITH Spoilers thread, where we can flock to after reading the most recent spoilers in order to wildly speculate to our hearts' content.

I'll get us started: casting calls and absence at media events has led some, including Wanda over at E! to speculate that Clair, the pregnant chick, will kick the bucket soon. Remember, though, that 1x10 has a casting call for Clair's boyfriend. So she'll be around until midseason at least.

I personally just don't want her to die. She's my favorite chick.

heidihug

heidihug

Posted Oct 13, 2004 @ 9:36 AM

(from the spoilers thread)

While joking around with Terry O'Quinn about me washing up on shore as a guest star (you know I have no shame), he said, "Let's say a TV reporter from E! was on the plane and crashed, and she's been hurt, she's in a coma. And Locke finds her and takes her back to his place and does his thing on her and she recovers." Something tells me that "does his thing" is nothing of a sexual nature--more like something of a miraculous nature.

Ok, so, extrapolating from this...the reason everyone lived in that section of the plane is because Locke was in that section of the plane. He has the ability to protect/heal people, which explains the lack of injuries to most of the survivors. His look of concentration while the plane was breaking up was him "guiding" the section of the plane that he was in safely to the ground. This is why the flashbacks have not included anything after a certain point in their descent to the island.

Questions I have:
Why did Locke not heal the marshal?
Is this his "secret"?
How did he get these abilities?

Bean9879

Bean9879

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2004 @ 9:45 AM

Isn't Locke also the one who got the knives on board? Since JJ is, by his own admission, totally obsessed with the Stand, are we to believe that Lock is Mother Abigail to someone else's (Hurley's?) Randall Flagg?
We've been told the groups will split light/dark, but then we're told they split by hope for rescue/know it won't happen, and caves/beach. Confusing.
I'm really hoping this isn't a big disappointment by the end.

NJBethany

NJBethany

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 13, 2004 @ 9:46 AM

I just can't accept that anyone is going to have "magical" powers. I can go with the rubber science, ie, you know it isn't true but it sounds logicalish, so you go with it, but power to heal? Time travel? I'm going to be disapointed if that's it. Magnetic or electrical disturbance? Mad scientist secret government lab? Yeah, I can get behind those.

And, I have to say thank you for this thread. I tend to spoil myself so much, I have a hard time speculating without spoiling.

kelleybean

kelleybean

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 13, 2004 @ 3:55 PM

did everyone from that section of the plane live? I hadn't thought of it like that before. From the seating chart someone posted in the spoilers thread, there are 60 seats in that section, and we know at least some of the seats were empty (the ones next to Jack) and that a couple of people did die from that section, at least at the very beginning of the plane-splitting-apart (the guy who is seen being slammed against the top of the plane and then flying out the hole)

I really never considered that no one died as a direct result of the crash. Or that we were only seeing the people on the plane who were from Business Class.

heidihug

heidihug

Posted Oct 13, 2004 @ 4:29 PM

did everyone from that section of the plane live?

That's what I am going to try to figure out, kelleybean. Others on these threads have started seating charts. Will be interesting to fill them out as the flashbacks continue. I think that, if they weren't sucked out the back of the plane and were in that section, they lived (well, until the marshal died). Which is a hypothesis I am sure will be proven wrong in future eps.

germwarfare

germwarfare

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 14, 2004 @ 7:14 PM

Here are a few questions that I'll put here because I just don't exactly know which thread is best for them. I also posted these in the spec w/out spoilers thread, but everyone has passed them by. Feel free to direct me to the proper forum where somebody might have the answers if it's not here.

How much do you think the writers actually have mapped out as far as episodes now? Would they have created a stand-alone arc of 13 episodes that resolved all issues in case the show wasn't a hit? And since it's now, like, the best show evah! (sorry, fangirl moment!) would they have had to revise that arc to accommodate its longer run? And, finally, how much room do you think they're leaving themselves to keep characters/relationships that are working and ditch those that aren't going anywhere?

I ask these because I'm worried it will turn into X-Files redux where the mythology was completely incomprehensible because they just made it up as they went along.

cleolinda

cleolinda

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 14, 2004 @ 7:35 PM

Would they have created a stand-alone arc of 13 episodes that resolved all issues in case the show wasn't a hit?

I seem to recall that they were prepared for that eventuality--I believe someone on another thread said that they were prepared to reveal that the plane had crashed in the Bermuda Triangle if the show didn't get picked up, but if the show did keep going, that's totally not where they would actually be, and since the show is super-successful at the moment, I think it's safe to say that's a discarded option and not a spoiler anymore.

And, finally, how much room do you think they're leaving themselves to keep characters/relationships that are working and ditch those that aren't going anywhere?

I ask these because I'm worried it will turn into X-Files redux where the mythology was completely incomprehensible because they just made it up as they went along.

God, that's such a fine line to walk--flexible but prepared. I hope they know what they're doing, because the X-Files broke my heart, man.

stickerboy

stickerboy

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 15, 2004 @ 12:04 AM

God, that's such a fine line to walk--flexible but prepared. I hope they know what they're doing, because the X-Files broke my heart, man.

Yeah, no kidding. Insteading of slapping together the storyline hodge-podge like the X-Files ended up being, JJ needs to figure out where he eventually wants to lead his characters. The best scenario I think would be like a Babylon 5, where the story's already there (hopefully coherent and well-written) and just needs to add specifics.

JJ could even change up the focus and drive of the show from season to season to keep it fresh while still advancing the story. Like,

Season 1: Character studies / flashbacks, backstories / intro to island life
cliffhanger: rift in survivors, split into tribes

Season 2: Interpersonal, intertribal conflict focus / society and civilization building
cliffhanger: the tribes discover what the island really is

Season 3: survival horror / island defense mechanisms activate and turn fully against the tribes
cliffhanger: survivors of the tribes reunify / scope moves beyond the island as the purpose and intent of the island is revealed

Etc., etc.

You could compress this kind of layout for things like sweeps or to rejuvenate ratings, or expand and flesh it out if things are going really well.

Edited by stickerboy, Oct 15, 2004 @ 12:04 AM.

IamClueless

IamClueless

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 15, 2004 @ 5:10 AM

As much as I love this show...and trying to figure out what's going on...I have a hard time believing that this show will be able to go on for several seasons. I think the possibilities are NOT endless...that someone will either run out of ideas or the viewers will just get bored with the same old storylines. Sorry, but I had to say it. Even if it does go down this way (I hope it doesn't), I will still watch...

Bean9879

Bean9879

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2004 @ 8:09 AM

Would they have created a stand-alone arc of 13 episodes that resolved all issues in case the show wasn't a hit?

I think it's the same kind of thing that Angel:The Series did, ie: plan out each season independently, so that the arc is completed, but so that you have somewhere you can go next season. It's early to say for Lost, but I think a lot of issues will be resolved this season before we move on. We won't know if it's picked up for another season for a while.

bstewart

bstewart

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2004 @ 8:13 AM

I'd agree. We'll get some resolution of many threads plus a cliff-hanger to set us up for next season. But figuring out what the island is all about is like asking "why was Sunnydale on a Hellmouth?". It just is.

heidihug

heidihug

Posted Oct 15, 2004 @ 11:04 AM

(cricket326 in the spoilers thread)

do you think The Surrogate means that Claire will wind up dying giving birth and the survivors will be the surrogate for that child?? Just a thought

I believe that Claire will die in childbirth and that......Shannon (!) will be the surrogate mother for the baby. They are setting her up as the nothing-redeeming-about-her bitch, but I have the feeling that, after her stony reaction to Claire's friendly overtures, she will assume the protective mother role. But she will still be a bitch, of course. Perhaps (as someone smarter than me suggested early on in another thread) Shannon has had an abortion or a miscarriage recently and that is one of the reasons brother dearest was sent to Australia to retrieve her.

And, of course this theory will be proven wrong soon enough.

DrCher

DrCher

Posted Oct 15, 2004 @ 3:21 PM

I don't think Shannon had an abortion or miscarriage, but I could believe that a man used Shannon for her money/body and then dumped her ass.

*sticks fingers in ears* Claire can't die. The baby won't die.

wisteria

wisteria

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 15, 2004 @ 4:45 PM

I really doubt Claire will die, because if she does, the baby will die too. Unless there's a secret stash of infant formula, she'd have to nurse the baby.

I kinda like the idea that Claire is the only one (or one of the few) with a fairly simple, non-dramatic backstory. If the show's theme is "starting over", then the baby gives her that hook. People have speculated that The Surrogate means that she's a surrogate mother who has fled with the child. While that's possible, I don't entirely buy it because her demeanor so far has been too carefree and positive for someone dealing with that strain. Then again, maybe she's happy because she escaped.

Eh, for now I'm going to take her story at face value -- though I can't quite figure out why she would be flying when she's so close to her due date.

rubbaduckie

rubbaduckie

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 16, 2004 @ 5:22 PM

Courtesy of charliekane over in the spoiler thread:

According to TVTome, Babylon 5's Mira Furlan will be playing Rousseau. I've always thought she should play the third Derevko sister, but this is cool too

Right there with you on the 3rd Devervko! You know it would just be SO right! Having her on lost though would rock!

Topic?

I think the theory of Claire being a surrogate mother angle sounds pretty cool - but too obvious to be correct. I think it refers to something else and someone we haven't even thought of. I've spent three days thinking about who it could be and I can't figure it out! Damn you JJ!! :-)

Edited by rubbaduckie, Oct 16, 2004 @ 5:23 PM.

takeachip

takeachip

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 21, 2004 @ 7:14 PM

The comic is actually a Spanish translation of "Green Lantern/Flash: Faster Friends" Part 1, which chronicles the superheroes' attack on an alien that turns out to be peaceful. Says Abrams, "We definitely chose that story for a reason.

Picked this up from the TV Guide link in the regular Spoilers thread. A while back, I posted in Spec that I thought perhaps the "monster" may not be antagonistic toward the survivors, and may in fact be a protector of sorts. This quote just reinforces that idea for me. The survivors (and audience) assume the monster is their enemy, but perhaps its motives are actually benevolent. So far, it's only killed the pilot, who may be seen as "bad" because he crashed the plane. We don't know for sure whether it killed any of the folks referenced in the French transmission, and if it did, well maybe they were also "bad" somehow. There's very little evidence that the monster is malicious, and some evidence that it may be neutral or benevolent--not attacking the survivors, specifically not attacking Locke (perhaps even saving him from the boar or giving it to him as a gift). I would love to see the survivors attack the monster assuming it is their enemy, only to be proven wrong.

NJBethany

NJBethany

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2004 @ 8:01 PM

Spec on GirlInterruped's info on possible core characters being in group therapy, possibly hypnosis. I really hope this isn't what it is. This to me would be a cop-out ending, unless it is set up very carefully. Like the St. Elsewhere autism fantasy, it would invalidate the emotions of the audience. Now, IF this is true, and they set it up from the beginning with clues, um, I still won't like it, but I won't hate it.

Edited by NJBethany, Oct 21, 2004 @ 8:02 PM.

LexsCat

LexsCat

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2004 @ 8:41 PM

takeachip, I think your theory is backed up somewhat by Locke's comment in the last episode about "looking into the [eye? was it eye? heart? navel? I can't remember] of the island, and it was beautiful." I thought he was definitely talking about the "monster" there.

DrCher

DrCher

Posted Oct 21, 2004 @ 9:01 PM

In the photos for "Solitary" (1x09), you'll notice that Sun, wearing a cute camisole, is Jin-less at the golf game...

She's dressed less conservatively than usual and she's mingling with the other passengers. I wonder if something happens to Jin?

Also...

Interesting photos taken by on set by Matthew Fox. Charlie is stung by bees and Michael is in 'Korea'

Edited by DrCher, Oct 22, 2004 @ 11:20 AM.

benjaminbirdie

benjaminbirdie

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 22, 2004 @ 12:12 PM

I would be hell of disappointed if "Everyone Woke Up" at the end. There's just too many things dangling. What is the "Metaphor" when Jack is waiting in line at the airport and Jin is in line behind him? The airport/counter jockey represents Jack's insecurities and Jin as his mentor in group therapy represents the person "behind" him but also critical?

It's a bit too much like that Mr. Show skit on the subway, The Five People In Your Brain (the Japanese Businessman, the Old Lady, et al), and to a much more heinous degree (spoilers for people who haven't seen this movie), Identity.

The most interesting thing in the TV Guide article was definitely the hint that the survivors are in some way connected, and that there is a destiny at play. It would be ridiculous yet somehow the most amazing thing ever in television history if at the end of this season or possibly the next they deal with whatever they have to deal with on the island and return to civilization as this bizarre cross between Global Frequency and The Legion Of Super-Heroes.

As far as connections go, I still think that Jack's spinal surgery past and Locke's paralysis is a great place to start.

mnich

mnich

Fanatic

• Interests:Television, including "Lost," "Mad Men," and "Chuck;" cooking; family; knitting; thrift stores

Posted Oct 22, 2004 @ 3:05 PM

People have speculated that The Surrogate means that she's a surrogate mother who has fled with the child. While that's possible, I don't entirely buy it because her demeanor so far has been too carefree and positive for someone dealing with that strain. Then again, maybe she's happy because she escaped.

Eh, for now I'm going to take her story at face value -- though I can't quite figure out why she would be flying when she's so close to her due date.

In one of our local Pennysavers (I guess they have these all over the U.S.; they're small, tabloid-style, newsprint, community-based newsletters with apartment listings and news items like the local Lion's Club meeting minutes), I frequently see ads placed by couples who want to adopt. Most of them read the same: professional couple seeks pregnant woman who will let them give her child a home in exchange for having all of her expenses paid. My theory is that Claire responded to something like this that she saw on-line, and that the adopting family is from North America. Now that she's close to her due date, she's flying to meet the couple, and (maybe) let them be present at the birth.

I believe that Claire will die in childbirth and that......Shannon (!) will be the surrogate mother for the baby.... Perhaps (as someone smarter than me suggested early on in another thread) Shannon has had an abortion or a miscarriage recently and that is one of the reasons brother dearest was sent to Australia to retrieve her.

If she was pregnant, she couldn't have been too far along. Too many shots of her with a flat stomach. I'd say she'd have been three months along, tops.

In other notes... it would be a super-stretch, but if Claire does die in chidbirth while the baby survives, perhaps one of the Random Extras will turn out to be a lactating mother whose child wasn't on the flight with her, and will able to assume the roll of wet nurse. This is realistically possible, if the mother was pumping to keep her supply up while away from her baby. But it would be far too convenient for her to end up on the island.

Bruin4Ever

Bruin4Ever

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2004 @ 3:16 PM

Unless the island planned it that way...

NJBethany

NJBethany

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2004 @ 4:40 PM

You can induce lactation.

LexsCat

LexsCat

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 29, 2004 @ 10:27 PM

The spoilers for Ep. 10---"Raised by Another," presumably Claire's flashback episode---mention an unnamed castaway returning from a voyage over the mountains with bad news. I'm assuming that this is Sayid, since he's mentioned in the previous episode as finding life-threatening danger when he seeks out the source of the French woman's transmissions.

Rabrab

Rabrab

Fanatic

Posted Oct 30, 2004 @ 12:04 AM

Or maybe it's Rose's husband? (Just figured I'd throw that out to complicate things.)

DrCher

DrCher

Posted Oct 30, 2004 @ 8:36 AM

In the photos for #9, you can see Sayid and Kate saying goodbye and then Sayid walking off. So he's probably the one who goes into the mountains.

Brandy

Brandy

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 30, 2004 @ 9:13 AM

mnich I doubt an Australian citizen would enter into an adoption arrangement in exchange for expenses being paid. Medicare pays for the hospital and medical expenses so it would cost her next to nothing to give birth, unless she want's a private hospital then she would be billed for the extra. She would also recieve a $3,000 cheque from the gov't for being a good little breeder:) Nobody in their right mind ships their child off to a foriegn country when the childs needs education and health wise can be met at home.

Edited by Brandy, Oct 30, 2004 @ 9:13 AM.

dolcepienza

dolcepienza

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 30, 2004 @ 11:02 AM

Didn't the "monster" grab and kill the pilot? That seems fairly malicious to me.

I hope it is not just some symbolic therapy thing -- that would suck.

kelizascop

kelizascop

Posted Oct 30, 2004 @ 12:39 PM

I would be hell of disappointed if "Everyone Woke Up" at the end.

Assuming that that original poster who suggested this really was in the know, I'm wondering if maybe this was just the "back-up" plan for in case the show got cancelled very quickly: shooting a final scene with them in group therapy or what have you that could be plugged in in place of the explected endings of any of the original 13 eps would be a simple way to tie things up, should the show get canned. But, now that it's been picked up for the full season, they've hopefully burned that footage, or at least added a laugh track to it for when they add it to the "what were we thinking" cutting room floor bonus scenes for the DVD.