Jacques Pepin: Fast Food My Way

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

78 replies to this topic

texasstar

texasstar

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 13, 2006 @ 12:28 PM

Jacques Pepin's show was on our local PBS station just a few weeks ago, " Fast food my way" on Saturday afternoons. But now the show is gone. I wouldn't even mind watching the reruns. I enjoy watching him cook and talk about his life. I have several of his books. So much more enjoyable to watch then people like RR or Paula Deen. Yet, they have 3/4 shows a piece on the foodnetwork channel and he is on PBS.

Aunt Jenny

Aunt Jenny

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2006 @ 6:48 PM

Jacques is just the best, bar none. I could watch him do nothing more than chop onions and be fascinated.

And while Claudine isn't (self-admittedly) much of a cook, she knows much more about wine than her dad (and teases him about his lack of wine skills exactly the way he teases her about her lack of food skills).

ETA: Here's a nice interview with Jacques about the time his autobiography came out. Claudine joins in toward the end.

Edited by Aunt Jenny, Oct 13, 2006 @ 6:56 PM.

sundevilpeg

sundevilpeg

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 13, 2006 @ 9:11 PM

Is this show still on somewhere?

It's on Create a lot - enough so that I fuss inwardly when I see a re-run. I feel so ashamed now...but I really don't need to see the "fridge soup" episode again!!!!

Aunt Jenny

Aunt Jenny

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2006 @ 9:50 PM

sundevilpeg, I know just how you feel. When the pate a choux episode of "Cooking with Claudine" aired for the third week in a row, my mother and I sighed to each other and she said, "Gee, you'd think he'd have figured out how to make that by now."

sundevilpeg

sundevilpeg

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 13, 2006 @ 10:01 PM

Aunt Jenny, thanks. I love JP, and all of his many PBS series....except for the Cooking with Claudine deal. I mean, I'm sure she's a lovely girl, and a fine daughter, blah blah blah, but her skills were non-existent, and her slack-jawed demeanor drove me absolutely crazy. I usually made it through about a half an episode before shrieking "SACRE BLEU! MERDE! PAY ATTENTION, YOU SILLY HEIFER!!!!!!!" and leaving the house.

Julia, she ain't. :o)

Aunt Jenny

Aunt Jenny

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2006 @ 2:43 AM

ACK! You're cracking me up, peg. Trust me that Claudine is far less "clod" in real life than she comes across onscreen... but I do so love those Julia/Jacques TV moments: Jacques sneaking extra garlic into a roulade; Julia adding twice the cream Jacques recommended in a dessert; Jacques' hilarious double-take upon witnessing popovers (apparently for the first time) in the oven... I love that they were such great friends and compatriots.

I'll confess what I really want is for the Food Network to create a show with Jacques based on his book Jacques Pepin's Complete Techniques. It is the ne plus ultra in cooking basics... and cooking basics means French technique (Mario is a genius, and he may righteously piss and moan about French snottiness, but he's got no leg to stand on when it comes to technique).

Sadly, the FN has relegated Wolfgang to vampire hours, and Sara is completely gone. We'll just have to find Jacques where we can, vagaries of public TV being what they are...

Edited by Aunt Jenny, Oct 14, 2006 @ 1:54 PM.

texasstar

texasstar

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 14, 2006 @ 12:57 PM

I understand that Mario Batali is not going to be on FN anymore either. At least no new shows. He is not my favorite, but at least he knows how to cook. And not that slop that RR puts together.

VNutt

VNutt

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2006 @ 9:24 PM

I think the show is actually a few years old... the copyright on the book is 2004.

IMHO, the book is worth a purchase. I wish I could cook more from it, but there are a LOT of fish dishes (which my picky husband will not eat). But the shrimp and scallop pillows alone are fab. And honestly as easy as they looked when he made them on the show.

scarletsmith

scarletsmith

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2007 @ 12:26 AM

Jacques Pepin -- Fast Food My Way is in reruns on all the Maryland area PBS stations except, as far as I can tell, WHUT. I wish they'd make new episodes--I loved watching him cook gourmet meals with canned food and shortcuts. Awesome.

This morning on Julia Child Cooking With Master Chefs (1993?) was an episode featuring Jacques and Julia in Jacques' kitchen making Lobster Souffle a l'Americain. Their chemistry is undeniable and they were constantly cracking on each other and making each other laugh. And, like all his later TV interactions with Julia, he seems very protective of her--he does all the heavy lifting, the bulk of the chopping and lobster cracking, but lets her demonstrate one of her forte staples: A white sauce for a souffle base. Love it. Love, love, love it.

plumeria

plumeria

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2007 @ 2:19 AM

he made salmon, asparagus,

I think you mean he made, "Thamon and asthparagathh" His lispy french accent bugs me no end. But his food used to be okay. I haven't seen this guy on TV in decades.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2007 @ 11:11 AM

Jacques Pepin is a god in our household. Whenever one of us heads off to the kitchen to make something, the other is sure to call out in our best French accent "oh, 'appy coooooking!" all Fast Food My Way tagline.

We have him on the TiVo wishlist but, sadly, there are rarely any of his shows running in my part of the country. The occasional special, or sometimes a couple episodes of FFMW, but nothing showing regularly. Sigh.

ETA: Seconding the plug for "Complete Techniques." Most valuable book on my shelf!

Edited by stinkymcgee, Feb 28, 2007 @ 11:13 AM.

texasstar

texasstar

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2007 @ 12:32 PM

I much rather watch Jacques Pepin ( french accent and all) cooking, then RR, Paula or Aunt Sandy. At least he actually knows how to cook. You won't see Jacques opening a can of Campbells soup a la Paula.

timesamillion

timesamillion

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 28, 2007 @ 3:57 PM

I think you mean he made, "Thamon and asthparagathh" His lispy french accent bugs me no end. But his food used to be okay. I haven't seen this guy on TV in decades.

Oh please ! his accent is great. I love it when he says "Because dees, you know, is zee propear technique"

JP is the greatest. I just wish he had a new show.

Aunt Jenny

Aunt Jenny

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2007 @ 5:19 PM

I love how he pronounces "hot oil" as "ott hoyle." Cracks me up every time.

And you should definitely check out his memoir, The Apprentice. Wonderful stuff... with recipes, too!

lvmb123

lvmb123

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2007 @ 9:21 AM

I love Jacques, too. He is a real chef and a classy man. I went to culinary school in my mid 20's, but I learned to cook long before then from Julia Child's "The Way to Cook" and Jacques technique books.

I used to watch cooking with Claudine with my father. My father was a man of gentle manners, it wasn't in his nature to snark on people, but he would have a few good natured chuckles at her cooking attempts (my father was a good cook himself).

The "Cooking with Claudine" cookbook, though, has some pretty good recipes that I still use, including one for Chilean sea bass in a potato crust that is extremely easy to make and is one of my all time favorite dinner party foods because it looks so impressive and itís darn tasty.

scarletsmith

scarletsmith

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2007 @ 3:39 PM

I love how he pronounces "hot oil" as "ott hoyle." Cracks me up every time.

On his solo episode of Julia Child Cooking With Master Chefs, he says to put the puff pastry on a "cookie shit". No fooling. I scream with laughter every time that ep airs. I want that sound extracted for my PC.

VNutt

VNutt

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2007 @ 12:56 AM

No kiddin' on his odd ponounciation sometimes.

Last weekend's "Create TV" showing had him putting something on a Ritz cracker with some creme fraiche and nuts... it took me three viewings to figure out the "something" (which I first thought was tuna and second thought was some really red pate) was "guava paste".

And I do, frequently now, say "Chateau de Sink".

Deeva

Deeva

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2007 @ 2:42 PM

Ohh..I adore Jacques. If not for he and Julia, I never would have picked up so many techniques in such a short time. With all due honesty, there are three chefs who's cookbook recipes NEVER fail...Jacques, Julia and Ming Tsai.

Having said all that, I think I own just about every cookbook and video featuring Jacques alone or with Julia. I get Fast Food my Way on PBS several times a week, and my only gripe is, when are they going to make some new shows? I assume when he writes another cookbook, since he probably revealed just about all he's going to reveal from FFMY. I want my Jacques TV! :)

InnerCanuck

InnerCanuck

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2007 @ 4:08 PM

He has a new cookbook out now, Chez Jacques, but I haven't heard if there are plans for a series or not. If my mother gets to the local appearance/event at the end of May I'll have her ask.

I think he started a small trend with this series & book, because Nancy Silverton has come out with a new cookbook which features use of assorted packaged/jarred/etc. ingredients. The so-called "semi-homemade" concept done correctly.

When I can, I catch re-re-repeats of the shows, if only to see Julia's cat on the back wall! And there are several recipes I really like, including the chestnut-apple puree he did with a piece of pork. As for as the accent, I have a friend whose native language is French, second is Spanish, and third is English. When she says the word "focus", you really have to get past the fact it sounds like "fuckus"!

Deeva

Deeva

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2007 @ 6:21 PM

I really hope he comes out with a series for this new book. Years ago, on PBS, there was a VHS collection of Jacques Pepin's Cooking Techniques, that they showed from start to finish. I was mesmerized watching him demonstrate and cook, and HATED it when they broke for 'donations' to buy the collection. Now I wish I did purchase them, because you can't find them anywhere. I once found them on ebay, but someone outbid me in the last 3 seconds.

On Fast Food My Way, two of my favorite recipes are the little shrimp casseroles, and the shrimp and scallop 'pillows'. He's simply amazing.

Edited by Deeva, Apr 10, 2007 @ 6:22 PM.

Scheckie

Scheckie

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2007 @ 11:04 AM

May God rest the soul of the "Grande Dame" (JC) indeed....

Were it not for "Julia and Jacques--Cooking at Home" I would've never discovered Jacques Pepin. He is really, really much more than Julia Child's foil (like he was in their PBS show.)

That show, though, was perhaps the best cooking show ever. Two stubborn, old friends cooking and gabbing away in the kitchen--both unyielding on their culinary beliefs, traditions, and practices.

Every time I think of Jacques, I inevitably think of Julia, and, sadly, a few tears come along. Their PBS show of 22 episodes was only about a hundred too short. Tough show to watch, sometimes, because the mast(ress?) was truly in twilight....

Chez Jacques cookbook looks good, too...

lotusbear

lotusbear

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 9:39 AM

My mother and I met him about 2 years ago - through a PBS-sponsored event, there were about 75 people there. It was at L'Ecole a restaurant run by the FCI in NYC. He did a little cooking demo for us. He started with super-easy stuff, like chopping different veggies. And then ended with deboning and stuffing a chicken. Later on, we were served a meal with wine pairings, an excellent meal. Later, he signed people's books and took pictures with everyone and joked around with us. He was really nice. Incidentially, he is a short guy. He can't be more than 5'3" or 5'4" and that was even with stacked heels on his shoes.

Anyway, my entire family loves him. We've adopted alot of his pronunciations as well. Our favorite is the way he says "tender" which sounds a lot more like "tonder".

Aunt Jenny

Aunt Jenny

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2007 @ 5:35 AM

My mother and I met him about 2 years ago

JEALOUS, lotusbear!

I know I've said it before, but I could watch this man do nothing more than chop onions for hours on end, he's just that good. I'm so sad that I'm too poor to attend the FCI... not to mention being too old to start a serious culinary career...

EdithPrickley

EdithPrickley

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2009 @ 2:18 PM

I'm watching "More Fast Food My Way" these days on PBS. The man is absolutely fabulous. He puts RR's 30 minute meals to shame -- the food he can whip up in no time.

I loved him with Julia, too, of course.

Baysu

Baysu

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2009 @ 2:29 PM

I used to watch him on saturday afternoons on my PBS station also, but I noticed that the past two saturdays his show didn't come on. I guess the dropped his show, why I do not know???

tvmovielover

tvmovielover

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2009 @ 4:52 PM

Bump! I am watching an episode today on my PBS station. My guess is that it comes and it goes like so many other good cooking shows on PBS.

VNutt

VNutt

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2009 @ 5:30 PM

I think when a show is shot for public television, they at least do a single "season" worth of shows. We've got a few PBS stations in the Chicago area market, and some will only show shows once, others will do repeats. And schedules are always going to change when the station is in fund raising mode.

The cookbook for this series is well worth it. Only disasters I have had are mainly due to my own lack of skill (I need to learn how to just walk the hell away from pork tenderloin... it's always raw or cooked to death when I try to make it).

osomarie

osomarie

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2009 @ 5:45 PM

I'm watching this right now (know I've seen it before) - but how perfect and excellent is this ?
Simple/fresh/few ingredients/in minutes - food prepared as it SHOULD be.

Wonder what he'd make of Sandra Lee ?
He'd probably kill her with his bare hands . . .

buttersister

buttersister

Stalker

Posted Jun 13, 2009 @ 10:06 PM

Even when he uses canned ingredients, he makes her over-wrought, over-bought stuff look like grease stains on the kitchen floor.

Best JP trick with a can of peaches (in syrup): Empty into skillet and let the syrup reduce until the peaches are robed in the nearly caramelized syrup. That one's probably not in his (excellent) book, but watching him happily tell you not to panic when unexpected guests stop by and you need to make a dessert from your cupboard/pantry fast? Voila!

Baba Yaga

Baba Yaga

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 14, 2009 @ 10:03 AM

Wonder what he'd make of Sandra Lee ?
He'd probably kill her with his bare hands . . .

I don't think Jacques, a gentleman and a gentle man, would do that. I think he would gently show her there's a better way. He would be compassionate towards the fact that this is how she learned to cook and that a substantial part of her audience likes what she does. He may be a great chef first, but he is a great teacher second.