Gabrielle Solis: Trophy Wife

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

562 replies to this topic

happycamper

happycamper

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 2:05 AM

Every other housewife, even the dead one, had a nice little thread except Mrs. Gabrielle Solis. I think it's only right that the character who gave us the most memorable moment in the pilot (mowing the lawn in party dress and stilettos) should get her own discussion thread.

The scenes with John (Jason Metcalfe's character) are plenty hot. Hopefully they flesh out Gabrielle's character more, because so far it does seem a bit one-note, especially compared to the other characters.

twistedsoul7

twistedsoul7

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 9:47 AM

I can't beleive the kid is 17. Robbing the cradel fo'real! Haha.

americana19

americana19

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 10:07 AM

I liked Gabby, although she scared me when she started cracking nuts in the flashback scene. The one thing I found strange was how Latin music began to play whenever she came on screen.

violet4120

violet4120

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 10:22 AM

Gabrielle is absolutely gorgeous. So is Miguel/John. So their romps around the house are pretty damn hot. So far, I'm liking both of them.

I like the Latin music in the pilot, but if it continues it might be a little much.

Le Cerf

Le Cerf

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 12:42 PM

The one thing I found strange was how Latin music began to play whenever she came on screen.

I hope this character does not just become a stereotypical saucy Latina.

On the topic of home and garden tips, Gabrielle did teach us (by example) that mowing the lawn in stilettos not only gets the grass cut but aerates the lawn as well.

GeorgeAntonio

GeorgeAntonio

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 12:51 PM

I like the Latin music in the pilot, but if it continues it might be a little much.

If it continues I (and the rest of the Latin community) might get dissapointed with TPTB.

Edited by GeorgeAntonio, Oct 9, 2004 @ 2:53 PM.

CrazyMacy

CrazyMacy

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 1:38 PM

I like the Latin music in the pilot, but if it continues it might be a little much

It looks like it will....that's one of the things that made me turn it off 15 mintues in, I was reading an interview with her and she doesn't seem to mind the whole latin/latina lover sterotype, at least the way I read it, I will have to find the article in question, and hopefully somone here will correct me if I am wrong in how I took it.

ETA: here is the link to the article:

www.oyemag.com/eva.html

Edited by CrazyMacy, Oct 9, 2004 @ 2:07 PM.

AresCupid

AresCupid

Couch Potato

• Interests:Caprica, Torchwood, Nikita, The Soup, Chelsea Lately, Flipping Out, Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency, Rick & Steve: The Happiest Gay Couple In All The World.

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 2:18 PM

The only time I noticed it was when they were leaping onto the table as if they were doing the tango, it was hilarious so it worked for me. But if they keep it up as you say in everything she does, I think that would bother me.

healing fish

healing fish

Stalker

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 2:52 PM

I understand that the Latin music is supposed to be a joke, but right now it still feels completely straightforward. Co-opting a cliche is not satire, yo.

And Gabrielle needs layers, fast.

Edited by healing fish, Oct 9, 2004 @ 2:53 PM.

Le Cerf

Le Cerf

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 6:42 PM

And Gabrielle needs layers, fast.

I'm sure this will reveal my idiocy, but are you talking about layers of emotional depth, or her hair?

healing fish

healing fish

Stalker

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 6:43 PM

Heh. I was talking about the emotional depth, acutally. Her hair looks great.

Le Cerf

Le Cerf

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 6:46 PM

Yes, of course. I need to get some layers of emotional depth too, it seems. But I agree that the humpy-hump of the gardener on the fancy table needs to be tempered with something meatier in her personality. Maybe the unfolding of the mystery with Mary Alice will reveal some greater depths in Gabrielle's personality.

brookmonton

brookmonton

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 6:57 PM

Gabrielle needs, and I hope will get, a more complex plotline soon. But while she does not have layers she has shown more depth than any of the other residents of Wisteria Lane. The most poignant moment in the episode was when she admitted to her boy toy that she had wanted "all the wrong things." And the funniest scene was her mowing the lawn and hitching up her sequined gown. Gabrielle is going to be okay.

Edited by brookmonton, Oct 9, 2004 @ 7:21 PM.

AnnieF

AnnieF

Stalker

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 10:09 PM

Was I the only one who found her husband's (sorry, I'm spacing on his name) line readings weird? He just seemed a bit off to me, in the way he delivered them. Like he was trying too hard to be arch, or something.

And this is really nitpicky, but Gabrielle? is not anywhere near tall enough to have been a runway model.

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 10:10 PM

I was thinking that too! Maybe Gaby modeled petite sizes.

baby8love

baby8love

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 10:23 PM

And this is really nitpicky, but Gabrielle? is not anywhere near tall enough to have been a runway model.

I believe EL jokes about this in one of her pre-premiere interviews.

rue bee

rue bee

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 10:27 PM

Even though EL is a perfect 10, she's also too "heavy" to be your typical stick model. But maybe she was a swimsuit or lingerie model? I could see her in a Victoria's Secret catalogue.

Warden

Warden

Stalker

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 10:51 PM

I used to watch Eva back in her Dragnet days so I'm glad she seems to have found a hit show. I can only echo the previous statements that she not become a stereotype and allow her character to expand.

Jessica

Jessica

Stalker

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 10:51 PM

Gabrielle needs, and I hope will get, a more complex plotline soon

Well, it HAS only been one episode.

Edited by Jessica, Oct 9, 2004 @ 10:52 PM.

brookmonton

brookmonton

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 2:21 AM

Different sources say Eva Longoria is 5' 2" or 5' 3" so she is way too short to be a runway model. And that egregious mistake completely spoils my abilty to enjoy the show. Well, actually, no it doesn't. Is Ms Longoria "too heavy" to portray a fashion model? I do not work in fashion so I cannot say with any expertise or authority. Tell you what, check out her photo spread in Maxim or FHM. If, as they say, the camera adds ten pounds, then I think she is at least 20 pounds under weight. But, again, I do not suggest my personal opinions should be confused with objective standards.

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

• Interests:Heroes, Stargate SG-1, Smallville, Criminal Minds, Eureka, House, Good Eats

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 2:25 AM

I'm 5'2" and did a runway show in London in the early 1980s (back when I was skinny). Not all models are glamazons, particularly for smaller designers. And if the face is good enough, the rest can be worked around. Cybill Shepard being a prime example of that dictum in her later work.

healing fish

healing fish

Stalker

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 2:29 AM

And that egregious mistake completely spoils my abilty to enjoy the show.

Heh. And furthermore, who has a gardener THAT attractive? How can I reasonably be expected to suspend my disbelief over this?

Edited to surgically implant tongue inside cheek.

Edited by healing fish, Oct 10, 2004 @ 2:30 AM.

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

• Interests:Heroes, Stargate SG-1, Smallville, Criminal Minds, Eureka, House, Good Eats

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 2:36 AM

I don't know anyone with a gardener that attractive, but I'd hire him in a heart beat. Heck, I'd even mow the grass for him. Not that he'd want my aged carcass, but a girl can dream. *g*

AnnieF

AnnieF

Stalker

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 9:23 AM

And that egregious mistake completely spoils my abilty to enjoy the show.

Well, that's what I'm saying! Because everything else was so completely plausible -- the incredibly hot gardener, the mowing-of-the-lawn-in-a-gown, the plumber who can afford that house, Teri Hatcher not being too annoying for words -- who can believe any of that?

I am, of course, kidding. It was just a nit that I thought I'd pick :)

LiliaNic

LiliaNic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 3:19 PM

After reading EL's interview in Open Your Eyes, I hope that her character gets more intesting things to do, because EL seems like she's got the chops to convey more complex storylines.

Penguinette9

Penguinette9

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 10:57 PM

Eva had a very complex storyline on Young and The Restless and she was fabulous.

baby8love

baby8love

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 11:10 PM

Eva had a very complex storyline on Young and The Restless and she was fabulous.

She was, indeed. So fabulous, in fact, she was able to make me hate her solely because I hated her character so much. But all that hate's gone now that she's Gabby. She is absolutely gorgeous.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 11:13 PM

Now, I'm probably the only person who felt sorry for Isabella. Which makes me that much more an admirer of Eva Longoria, and thrilled that she has a good role on what looks to be a real night time hit.

Kalbear

Kalbear

Stalker

Posted Oct 11, 2004 @ 12:21 AM

She's so ridiculously hot, it's simply not fair. It's not fair to Teri Hatcher. I kept thinking when I heard the plot that it was so incongruous to have Teri Hatcher acting as a dumpy housewife, wanting a new love but having no luck...until I realized that Eva is her neighbor. Yikes.

ChattyCathy

ChattyCathy

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 11, 2004 @ 12:33 AM

I just found out that Eva is married to Tyler Christopher. He plays Nikolas Cassadine on General Hospital.