Bree Van De Kamp: Stepford Transplant

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

869 replies to this topic

Genius

Genius

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 12:48 AM

Okay, we all love the Cross. We all worship the Cross. Here's hoping she Crosses over from doing just an impression of her Melrose "Betsy" persona and becomes a real person. We can't relate to her unless the writers give us something real about her. I have high hopes.

healing fish

healing fish

Stalker

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 1:58 AM

Best character on the show so far, in my opinion. She was the most caricatured out of all of them, but she actually felt more real and interesting to me than any of the others.

Eris Rising

Eris Rising

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 2:19 AM

The annoyingly perfect Stewartesque housewife gets a smackdown from her family at the dinner table for being "too perfect". She tries to/almost accidentally kills her husband one night with onions in her dinner. And I'm more sympathetic towards her?

Yeah, truly great character.

nit

nit

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 6:41 AM

She's a big ole pot of crazy. And I want another helping. With the crying in the hospital, the husband's claim that she used to be fun, I'm sure there's a lot of deep seated issues just waiting to pop up.

americana19

americana19

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 10:57 AM

Best character on the show so far, in my opinion.

Big giant WORD. I agree she was a little to cartoonish in the beginning, but I thought her brief breakdown in the bathroom and her husband saying she used to burn toast and drink milk out of the carton (Gasp!) helped balance her out.

Le Cerf

Le Cerf

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 12:39 PM

I was glad to see her on this show. I loved Marcia Cross when she was evil on Melrose Place, and I know she was also great on Everwood. It will be nice to see where this character goes now that her perfect life is falling apart.

Jessica

Jessica

Stalker

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 2:42 PM

Yes, but will she rip off her wig, I ask you?

I pray for a winky moment with her and Doug Savant.

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

• Interests:Heroes, Stargate SG-1, Smallville, Criminal Minds, Eureka, House, Good Eats

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 3:05 PM

I'm betting that she was pushed to become this type of "perfect wife" by an incident involving him. A missed promotion that he blamed on a bad dinner party or something. No one transforms from where we're told she began to what we see her as now without stops on the way. I'll bet he encouraged her, right down to the "hair [that] doesn't move."

kaykath

kaykath

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 4:17 PM

Bree is the housewife I'm most interested in right now. Finding out how and why she went from being fun to a stepford wife intrigues me more than finding out what's under the pool.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when she breaks out of that stepford shell.

AgentX

AgentX

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 4:21 PM

She's the HW I'm most interested in as well. Primarily because she brought the funny in the pilot '...and I feel badly about that' Heh. I wonder what could have caused such a massive shift in her personality.

peliroja

peliroja

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 8:09 PM

I kind of enjoyed her instructions regarding the baskets of bread-stuffs. And how she wanted them back later. Hee!

Can we just call her Kimberly, for old time's sake?

americana19

americana19

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 8:15 PM

Can we just call her Kimberly, for old time's sake?

My vote's for a compromise: Kimbreely.

baby8love

baby8love

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 8:42 PM

My vote's for a compromise: Kimbreely.

Hee! I like that.

Though I'm partial to Lynette because of FH, I, too, think Bree's the most intriguing of all the housewives. Can't wait to see what kind of crazy woman lies beneath that sunny smile and "hair that doesn't move".

nit

nit

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 9:55 PM

Personally, I find Kimberbree has a more lyrical quality.

Titus

Titus

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 10:49 PM

I vote for Kimbreely.

Yes, but will she rip off her wig, I ask you?

I pray for a winky moment with her and Doug Savant.

If she manages to blow up the cul-de-sac, I'll sacrifice a goat in her honour. It's been awhile since I've seen Melrose but did Kimberley and Matt have any significant scenes/plotlines together? I vaguely remember him ripping off her wig (after she did it herself in the Greatest TV Moment Ever).

healing fish

healing fish

Stalker

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 10:53 PM

I vote for Kimberbree. Rolls off the tongue easier.

nit

nit

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 11:26 PM

The Matt/Kimberly scene from MP that comes to mind is when she let him know she was behind the gay-bashing incident to shut him up about her crazy behavior.

Clockstomper24

Clockstomper24

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 12:30 AM

Kimberbree gets my vote.

I thought her line about carrying a gun to ensure her husband's fidelt also kept her from being too campy. Kept her from being too much of a stepford clone.

thestatic

thestatic

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 12:34 AM

After Matt found out that Kimberly was...well, nuts, they had several storylines in which she tried to ruin his life.

Jessica

Jessica

Stalker

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 1:10 AM

Nothing was as good as when he ripped off her wig at the hospital, followed by this:

Gay Matt: Michael, I can't believe you're back with Kimberly! She tried to kill you!
Michael: Hey, I don't judge your lifestyle.

I think they've got to make a winky nod to their past.

quara33

quara33

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 2:56 AM

This character is waaay more interesting than I thought she'd be.

Did anyone else think it was weird that she got her husband's salad for him? Maybe it fits with the character, but it struck me as odd--tho I suppose its really the only way there could be ambiguity about the 'accidental' nature of the poisoning...

huntergrayson

huntergrayson

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 5:32 AM

I think she got the salad because it was a way for her to gain some sense of control after having the rug pulled out from under her by her husband's sudden divorce announcement. Somehow, when your world falls apart, doing little things like that can help maintain some sense of stability and sanity.

I'm very curious about what caused the change for her to become little-miss-perfect. Maybe it was a previous trauma or loss of control. Maybe it was having kids. I think it'd be awesome if the move to Wisteria Lane was the trigger -- the neighborhood clearly demands keeping up appearances.

Le Cerf

Le Cerf

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 8:21 AM

I think it'd be awesome if the move to Wisteria Lane was the trigger -- the neighborhood clearly demands keeping up appearances.

That would be kind of cool. Maybe Bree is what would have happened to Diane Lane's character in Unfaithful if she hadn't been making the sweet lovings with Olivier Martinez.

quara33

quara33

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 3:16 PM

I think she got the salad because it was a way for her to gain some sense of control after having the rug pulled out from under her by her husband's sudden divorce announcement. Somehow, when your world falls apart, doing little things like that can help maintain some sense of stability and sanity.

That makes sense--and it also offered an escape from the conversation just like getting water for the flowers did.

I like the 'moving to Westeria Lane caused her personality' theory. I've lived in places like that--altho they're not quite THAT bad, there is definitely a pressure on the women to conform to that 1950s housewife stereotype.

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 6:27 PM

I never knew how awesome Marcia Cross was until I saw the pilot episode. She's such an amazing actress. I hate and love the character that she portrays at the same time.

baby8love

baby8love

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 9:56 PM

Alright, so now we know her family's apparent lack of gratitude has something to do with her behaviour. We now also know that she uses housework to "disengage emotionally" from her life.

I lurve this woman and her complexity.

Titus

Titus

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 10:08 PM

Her zoom-in on the shrink's loose button and complete zoning-out of everything else happening was hilarious.

ETA - Marcia Cross has a Masters in Psychology. What would Kimberly say?

Edited by Titus, Oct 10, 2004 @ 10:23 PM.

wllybere

wllybere

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 10:12 PM

I thought that her "You promised" to her husband was pretty touching. She obviously isn't someone who reveals her emotions very well.

I find it very interesting that she was already engaged when Rex asked her to marry him. And daddy didn't approve? Hmmmm. Wonder if that will go somewhere.

rue bee

rue bee

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 10:15 PM

Marcia Cross is so hot as the repressed perfect Bree. Her husband should be kissing her feet!

Benito

Benito

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 10:18 PM

Alright, so now we know her family's apparent lack of gratitude has something to do with her behaviour. We now also know that she uses housework to "disengage emotionally" from her life.

I don't totally buy it. It has to go deeper, or it's just psychobabble. think about what's being suggested as recourse. That if the family THANKS her for her excess, that it will go away?

Not being thanked might have been a root, but it's torturous indeed to get from there to where she is now. Perhaps she kept increasing the behavior desperately hoping she'd get those thanks. Perhaps she's deluded herself at one point into thinking it's what her husband was looking for. But even before he turned around and said it last episode, she knew that was no longer the case.

I think it's self-sabotage. She KNOWS, at least on some level, that the behavior drives people (particularly her husband) nuts. She's doing it now to punish him, and perhaps even moreso herself. Whether it's actually clinically obsessive is another issue.