Susan Mayer: Supermom, Superspaz

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

436 replies to this topic

Add It Up

Add It Up

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 8, 2004 @ 10:31 PM

It's ok to make a thread like this, right?
I thought that Teri Hatcher's preformance was alright, although she is a bit bland. I mean out of all the other characters she is the only one without any major intresting flaws and yet they are pushing for her to be the main character, it seems.

Edited by Add It Up, Oct 8, 2004 @ 10:31 PM.

Penfold

Penfold

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2004 @ 11:44 PM

Yeah, she seems to be the one with the fewest quirks. Er....apart from burning down her neighbor's house. It's probably too soon to gauge Teri Hatcher's performances overall, but you're right, I think she did a fine job in the pilot. I can already feel the residual hate from the Radio Shack commercials slipping away. Damn.

Edited by Penfold, Oct 8, 2004 @ 11:54 PM.

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Oct 8, 2004 @ 11:49 PM

With the fewest quirks, Susan will probably be the lynchpin to all the other housewives. Will probably end up taking over Mary Alice's roll of "den mother." Quick, hide all the revolvers!

Eris Rising

Eris Rising

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 12:12 AM

I can already feel the residual hate from the Radio Shack commercials slipping away. Damn.

Weird. This was my first thought upon finishing the pilot. Bastards are making me rethink my premises.

Genius

Genius

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 12:23 AM

I liked Teri Hatcher the least going into this. And I am a HUGE Marcia Cross fan. Shockingly, I loved Teri's performance best from the pilot, and I think she looks great, while looking her age. Plus her character seemed the most real, arsonist tendencies notwithstanding.

Dani257

Dani257

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 10:57 AM

I liked Susan the best in the pilot. I also liked that she's a children's book illustrator. TH did a great job here.

americana19

americana19

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 11:03 AM

I liked Susan, but I actually liked her because of the prescence of Edie. Susan started out as a little bland, but putting her in a man-competition with a slut made her seem like more of an everywoman. Sorry if that made no sense.

Dani257

Dani257

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 11:07 AM

I wonder if Susan is going to go all crazy in the battle for Mike Delfino. Well, aside from burning down Edie's house.

Add It Up

Add It Up

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 11:14 AM

The preivews keep showing that scene where she's naked an locked out of the house, which sort of made me expect that they would write her as a bitch.

Susie Diamond

Susie Diamond

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 11:20 AM

I can already feel the residual hate from the Radio Shack commercials slipping away. Damn.

That could be the reason I hated her… not sure. But, not only did I like her in this show, I found her enjoyable. Good job.

FfrauleinN

FfrauleinN

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 5:21 PM

I guess I'm the only one who liked Teri Hatcher going into this. Residual Lois & Clark love, followed by years of ignoring those damned Radio Shack ads. Anyway, I liked that the least quirky member of the group didn't come off as too sugar-sweet. The women are so differrent and play off of each other really nicely, and -- at least so far -- it keeps the campiness of the characters from grating.

I wonder if Susan is going to go all crazy in the battle for Mike Delfino. Well, aside from burning down Edie's house.

Well ... I'm sure she feels badly about that.

healing fish

healing fish

Stalker

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 5:27 PM

No, only Bree would feel badly about that.

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 6:01 PM

I guess I'm the only one who liked Teri Hatcher going into this. Residual Lois & Clark love, followed by years of ignoring those damned Radio Shack ads.

No, you're not. That was exactly my frame of mind going into the show. I also had the residual love from Soapdish and various sitcom guest spots.

Teri Hatcher really has some great comedic timing, like when Edie was asking Mike if he'd come take a look at her pipes. Susan's eyeroll had me in hysterics.

Dani257

Dani257

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 7:51 PM

guess I'm the only one who liked Teri Hatcher going into this. Residual Lois & Clark love,

No, I liked Teri Hatcher before. And, I loved Lois and Clark.

quara33

quara33

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 1:56 AM

No, I liked Teri Hatcher before. And, I loved Lois and Clark.

Yeah, going to have to admit my like for Teri Hatcher too...and my strange, unexplainable love for L&C as well.

As to Susan--I really liked this character (well, until she burned someone's house down and fled the scene), quite possibly because I too have managed to do terrible things to Macaroni and Cheese.

Susan, my friend, you MUST discover the wonder that is Easy Mac...and, you know, not engage in arson

Edited by quara33, Oct 10, 2004 @ 2:43 AM.

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

• Interests:Heroes, Stargate SG-1, Smallville, Criminal Minds, Eureka, House, Good Eats

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 2:04 AM

I like Teri Hatcher, but I have to say having the character be responsible for destroying another's home -- without showing remorse or admitting to having been there -- makes it difficult for me to like the character.

With the surname Mayer, is she likely to be Jewish?

Benito

Benito

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 2:37 PM

I was lukewarm on Hatcher's acting in the past (frankly, back in the Lois and Clark days she was the "eye candy" role), but she's won me over with her performance in this show. It's hard to play "the good one" these days in such a way that most skeptical viewers don't wind up hating the character, and she's done it so far. She's bumbling--which is always funny--but not a total wuss.

trainman

trainman

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 3:43 PM

With the surname Mayer, is she likely to be Jewish?

Mayer is her ex-husband's last name, so make of that what you will. Also, I have a feeling Christmas decorations are de riguer on Wisteria Lane come December.

voodoo4936

voodoo4936

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 4:07 PM

having the character be responsible for destroying another's home -- without showing remorse or admitting to having been there -- makes it difficult for me to like the character.

To be fair, she looked devastated when she found out what happened to Delfino (or rather, NotDelfino).

I like Teri Hatcher, too, and while she was the most bland of all the lead actresses, I think it works in her favor. Really, I was starting to miss her around the time of the Radio Shack ads.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 9:29 PM

I like Susan sooo much that I'm worried that this is going to be a traditional soap to the extent that she can't possibly be happy with Mike for any length of time. Because I really think that after the flagrantly unfaithful husband, she deserves some happiness.

baby8love

baby8love

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 9:39 PM

Because I really think that after the flagrantly unfaithful husband, she deserves some happiness.

IA. And especially after she's worked so hard to gain Mike's attention.

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 9:48 PM

The irony is that if she would be herself more and quit trying so hard, not to mention being less nervous, I bet Mike would be all over Susan like a rilly rilly cheap suit.

Benito

Benito

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 9:55 PM

The nervousness is endearing. It helps take us away from the knowledge that Hatcher comes from a line of more vampy roles.

Add It Up

Add It Up

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 10:13 PM

Isn't this the same timeslot Teri Hatcher had for Lois and Clark?

I liked her a lot more this episode, although I could go without the Charlie Brown "everything shitty happens to you" disorder the writers gave her. I always think it sucks when dark comedies punish characters for being nice, espeically when all the other characters on this show aren't neccesarlly amoral or "bad."

Edited by Add It Up, Oct 10, 2004 @ 10:14 PM.

Benito

Benito

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 10:26 PM

If they didn't punish characters for being nice, it wouldn't be a dark comedy.

The fun of it is when they decide to take the gloves off. Plus, she's not sickeningly nice. She's just the closest to "normal" on the block. She's supposed to be the proxy for as many of the viewers as possible--and that can be a tough role because it requires not only likeability, but also treading that razor's edge that most of the "nice" characters fall off of. She can't be pushy, but on the other hand she can't be a pushover either. Really, the best way to have a character deal with that is have lots of crap thrown at them, but also have them get their victory before they sink under the crap.

baby8love

baby8love

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 10:30 PM

the best way to have a character deal with that is have lots of crap thrown at them, but also have them get their victory before they sink under the crap.

Word. And I think that is exactly how they're treating the character. Yeah, dinner went down the drain but in the end, she (and not Edie) was the one at the vet, bonding with Mike. I liked that they had her lose but not completely lose.

Vercingetorix

Vercingetorix

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2004 @ 9:15 AM

I feel bad for heading to the shallow end of the pool, but have Teri Hatcher's eyes always looked like they do now? (I.e. very narrow and wide).

I agree that she's doing a great job as the most comic of the characters.

The Last Dodo

The Last Dodo

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2004 @ 10:19 AM

She's just the closest to "normal" on the block. She's supposed to be the proxy for as many of the viewers as possible--and that can be a tough role because it requires not only likeability, but also treading that razor's edge that most of the "nice" characters fall off of. She can't be pushy, but on the other hand she can't be a pushover either. Really, the best way to have a character deal with that is have lots of crap thrown at them, but also have them get their victory before they sink under the crap.

That's what I was thinking and why I think her character is my favorite thus far. I'm not a parent, I've never had an ongoing relationship with a rich guy who treated me like crap, and I'm certainly not a Martha Stewart clone, but I've definitely made an idiot out of myself with guys I've liked, and dealt with competition who were a lot pushier than me. So yeah, while I hope she winds up happy, part of the appeal is seeing her experience any little possible thing that could go wrong with dating blown up to Wagnerian proportions. If you've ever felt like an idiot when it comes to dating and romance, it's almost kind of cathartic to see someone else with luck that bad.

AlexaStar

AlexaStar

Posted Oct 11, 2004 @ 1:43 PM

I really like this character, heck I like all of the characters!

I think that TH is doing a fantastic job in the role of Susan Mayer..aka..Plain Jane. This role is a lot different from her previous roles and after those Radio Shack commericals, me thunk it that her career was over..but I was wrong!
She is back and better than ever!

I can't help but luv Susan Mayer. She is so human..more so than the other gals, except maybe Lynette. She seems so uncoordinated and hopeless. I really like her relationship with her daughter and how those 2 at times seem like sisters. The daughter, Julie, is very smart and her witty remarks here and there are refreshing.

Even though she burned down Edie's home, I can't help but still luv her. I kind of feel bad for her and sympathize with her about the Undercover Plumber and just her love life in general. I am secretly rooting for her with Edie and when Edie bonded with the dog , we could see the disappointment on Susan's face. Aww..I felt bad.
She is just a loveable character who I think, will end up being my favorite.

Oh and I luved the scene where she wakes up to take out the trash or whatever and Undercover Plumber is outside with his dog and the dog goes crazy when he sees Susan sans makeup..LoL..very cute!

superboy

superboy

Couch Potato

• Interests:TV (clearly), Scriptwriting, Movies, Books

Posted Oct 11, 2004 @ 2:29 PM

While it is hard to choose a favorite among the four main HW's I definitely think that Susan has taken an early lead...although overall I think my love for all the characters on this show is going to be equal throughout unless something drastic happens in the story. But who would have thought that I would once again be filled with the TH Love?