Ratings and Scheduling: Desperate Networks

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1357 replies to this topic

GeorgeAntonio

GeorgeAntonio

Posted Oct 8, 2004 @ 10:02 PM

I'll state the obvious,this is the thread where we can talk about DH on the ABC schedule and the ratings.

Let's start with this: according with TV Tome the pilot will re-air tomorrow saturday.

Genius

Genius

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 12:27 AM

I think it's unbelievably amazing that DH turned out to be the highest-rated program of last week. That's so awesome! Honestly, before the show premiered, even if you were the most optimistic regarding its potential, would you have ever believed it would be No. 1? Yay!!

And though the official numbers came in at 21.6 million viewers, ABC's ads claim 37 million. Huh? How are they spinning that?

huntergrayson

huntergrayson

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 1:19 AM

I heard 30 million in a recent radio ad -- 37 million is a little much. In addition to the pilot being reaired, TiVo says that the 2nd episode will be shown Saturday, 10/16 @ 10 p.m. I guess ABC was really, really smart in the marketing (billboards are *everywhere* in L.A) and probably got a huge boost from all the Emmy adverts.

It's a great timeslot, too -- it seems like a program that would appeal to a lot of Extreme Makeover:Home Edition's audience. It also comes off as being a very natural bridge from that show to Boston Legal.

Eris Rising

Eris Rising

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 1:24 AM

It also comes off as being a very natural bridge from that show to Boston Legal.

With a full understanding that I only speak for myself here, I can say as a 34 year old middle-class white male (a coveted demographic...Nuts and Gum!) that this is the only reason that I watched Boston Legal's pilot. And it's a show that I will continue to watch.

healing fish

healing fish

Stalker

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 2:09 AM

Finally, a show that I like does fucking great in the ratings. What an odd feeling.

GeorgeAntonio

GeorgeAntonio

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 10:55 AM

And though the official numbers came in at 21.6 million viewers, ABC's ads claim 37 million. Huh? How are they spinning that?

Maybe the show had a peak of 37 millions at one point. But 21 million of viewers was the average for the whole hour.

Edited by GeorgeAntonio, Oct 9, 2004 @ 12:27 PM.

Sharon

Sharon

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 12:17 PM

"Ah, but Underneath" is preempted in Washington, DC (WJLA7) by football. It will air at the following times instead:
October 11: 12:00AM
October 16: 10:00PM

les94111

les94111

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 1:02 PM

Whahahaha! Finally DH got her own forum! Hail to all who whinned about this. Anyway, "Jack and Bobby" got ph'd.

AgentX

AgentX

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 1:43 PM

Finally, a show that I like does fucking great in the ratings. What an odd feeling.

It's odd isn't it? And it's on ABC to boot, that just freaks me out.

Kris_AB

Kris_AB

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 4:30 PM

According to my TV Guide, the Desperate Housewives pilot is re-airing tonight (Saturday) at 10pm Eastern. For fellow Canadians, I'm not sure if CTV is re-airing it as well (if you look at The Toronto Star's guide, they say it is. The Toronto Sun's says it isn't).

I'm gonna try to get a couple more people to watch it tonight.

Titus

Titus

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 10:57 PM

Maybe it was 21.6 million households? I don't pretend to understand this Nielsen stuff though.

kunju

kunju

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 10:18 AM

The second ep will also get a Saturday rerun according to zap2it's listings.

prufrock2

prufrock2

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 11:29 AM

The encore did a 4.9 last night according to Zap2it. While that was third place in the time slot it was less than a ratings point behind first. Not bad for a repeat. (Apprentice repeat only did a 3.1)

baby8love

baby8love

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 11:53 AM

The encore did a 4.9 last night according to Zap2it.

Awesome! I'm sure it did well because a lot of people who didn't tune in for the original premiere heard about how the raves about how great it was and decided to tune in to see for themselves. That, combined with the people who did tune in last week but decided to tune in again for the repeat because it's that good, was probably what sent those ratings up.

A repeat and on a Saturday night. Again: awesome!

GeorgeAntonio

GeorgeAntonio

Posted Oct 10, 2004 @ 2:21 PM

Those were good ratings for a saturday night against baseball.
Let's hope the number keep stronger for tonight's airing.

les94111

les94111

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 11, 2004 @ 10:53 AM

Not too shabby, but won't be #1 for the week

Zap2it:

ABC took control at 9 p.m. as "Desperate Housewives" dipped only slightly in its second week, doing a 12.2/19, easily the night's most watched program. NBC was second with the 8.0/13 for "Law & Order: Criminal Intent." On CBS the movie "While I Was Gone" had a drooping 7.9/12 for third. FOX baseball was fourth, as The WB's "Jack & Bobby" continued to falter with a 1.6/2.

Mediaweek:

-Yesterday's Winners:
NFL Football Overrun (Fox), Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (ABC), Desperate Housewives (ABC), Crossing Jordan (NBC)

ABC remained in the Sunday winner's circle, beating the No. 2 network (CBS in the overnights and viewers, NBC among adults 18-49) by 3 percent in the overnights, 1.15 million viewers and 70 percent among adults 18-49. Week two of ABC's Desperate Housewives remained the top-rated series of the evening with a hefty 14.9/21 in the overnights, 20.29 million viewers and an 8.7/21 among adults 18-49 at 9 p.m., declining by only 10 percent in the overnights (16.6/23 to 14.9/21), 1.35 million viewers (21.64 to 20.29 million) and 2 percent among adults 18-49 (8.9/21 to 8.7/21) from last week's series opener. Remaining a distant second was NBC's Law & Order: Criminal Intent at a 9.4/14 in the overnights, 12.52 million viewers and a 4.5/10 among adults 18-49.

Edited by les94111, Oct 11, 2004 @ 11:11 AM.

marlaas

marlaas

Posted Oct 11, 2004 @ 10:56 AM

Week two of ABC's Desperate Housewives remained the top-rated series of the evening with a hefty 14.9/21 in the overnights

Yay! So is it premature to say that for once I actually love a show that TPTB aren't likely to yank off the air?!

americana19

americana19

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 11, 2004 @ 11:07 AM

Week two of ABC's Desperate Housewives remained the top-rated series of the evening with a hefty 14.9/21 in the overnights

Thank God. A good show getting phenominal ratings. There really is justice in the world. I thought this would end being one of those underrated "cult shows". So glad I was wrong!

Jessica

Jessica

Stalker

Posted Oct 11, 2004 @ 11:12 AM

I'll be interested to see how this affects Alias.

MarquisDCarabas

MarquisDCarabas

Posted Oct 11, 2004 @ 11:26 AM

Jessica you and everyone over at the alias boards. My best guess is they'll run Alias at a different time.. it depends on if they can get new eps of Desperate Houswives up before January. Because as i understand it. The've only planned for 13 episodes before giving way to Alias.

prufrock2

prufrock2

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2004 @ 11:39 AM

I'm thinking Desperate Housewives will remain at Sundays at 9 come January (the order for the back 9 should come any day now) and Alias will move to Mondays at 8 where it might benefit from people settling in to watch 24 at 9 on Fox.

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Oct 11, 2004 @ 11:43 AM

A 1.6 for Jack & Bobby? That show is on life support. Bet you're glad you jumped to a better ship, eh Jessica?

I wonder how this show will do in the overall rankings since CSI isn't preempted this week. Without CSI in the running last time, it managed to hit #1.

Edited by kariyaki, Oct 11, 2004 @ 11:44 AM.

les94111

les94111

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 11, 2004 @ 11:48 AM

If ABC had any brain cells, they give DH a full season to remain at the 9:00pm timeslot, and move Alias to 8:00pm or someother day. No need to temper with success.

I wonder how this show will do in the overall rankings since CSI isn't preempted this week. Without CSI in the running last time, it managed to hit #1.

CSI remain #1
CSI Miami #2
Without a Trace #3
Desperate Housewives #4
I think that's how this week ratings show

ETA: Shit, forgot that damn Horatio

Edited by les94111, Oct 11, 2004 @ 11:56 AM.

2MuchTV

2MuchTV

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2004 @ 11:50 AM

I would guess it would easily make the top 5, maybe # 4. CSI had 27 million viewers, Without a Trace 21 and CSI Miami was around there too. I think those were the only other shows that got more than 20 million viewers last week. Still not too shabby for DH. That's pretty impressive company.

AgentX

AgentX

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2004 @ 11:52 AM

To be fair to Jack & Bobby, since I appear to be it's only fan :), it did the same last week - so at least it's not dropping...any more

Desperate Housewives continues to do amazing. Very pleased that a great show actually gets great ratings. I'm thinking top 5 for sure for DH. CSI will probably take #1, and maybe CSI: Miami and WAT will battle out DH for 2 and 3. ABC having a show in the top 5 is still hard for me to grasp.

Penfold

Penfold

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2004 @ 11:54 AM

A lot of people who had their episodes preempted by sports events were asking when the re-airings are, but I wanted to let other night owls know that (at least in my area), they broadcast the episode after the game.

AlexaStar

AlexaStar

Posted Oct 11, 2004 @ 1:19 PM

Ok...I don't get it...did it get a 14.9 or a 12.2 which is what Tv Tome has listed???

Regardless it did do very well..but I am wondering why did it dip at all? If anything, I thought the audience would grow after seeing how well the pilot did and try to get on the DH train.

The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Stalker

Posted Oct 11, 2004 @ 1:40 PM

Ok...I don't get it...did it get a 14.9 or a 12.2 which is what Tv Tome has listed???

The TV Tome rating aren't the Neilson Ratings. The are the ratings that viewers who signed up voted on.

AlexaStar

AlexaStar

Posted Oct 11, 2004 @ 1:49 PM

The TV Tome rating aren't the Neilson Ratings. The are the ratings that viewers who signed up voted on.

Oh Ok...well what is the website, to see the Neilsen Ratings for all shows?

BTW, I still don't get how Neilsen Ratings truely accurately capture how many people watched a particular show when only selected people have the boxes hooked up. I mean maybe that audience watches a certain show meanwhile people w/o the boxes watch a certain show that the ratings say was not watched by many.
ugh...understand?

Mystic Penguin

Mystic Penguin

Channel Surfer

• Interests:Writing. Literature (particularly Capote, Faulkner, Vonnegut, Salinger). Politics. Sleep. Film. Television (Lost, Arrested Development, 30 Rock, The Office, Desperate Housewives, Ryan's Hope, Dark Shadows).

Posted Oct 11, 2004 @ 1:54 PM

Both are correct. It got a 12.2/19 fast national Nielson rating and a 14.9/21 in the overnights. (...and I have absolutely no idea what each means.)