Dancing with the Stars (Australia)

• Please log in to reply

3973 replies to this topic

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2013 @ 7:22 PM

So let me get this straight. The show is a ratings success for Seven, so they add 2 shows a week and eliminate someone each show, to shorten the season. So the solution to a ratings success, is the make the season shorter? I don't get it.

They left it too late to bring the show back this year, basically - ratings season ends in a couple of weeks, so they're doubling up so they can fit the entire season in before the Christmas/New Year non-ratings period kicks in.

nozycat

nozycat

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2013 @ 7:57 PM

I think 2 shows a week is ridiculous, they should have planned better.  Dan said it hadn't been done anywhere else in the world and as far as I am concerned there is a damn good reason for that.

Tina, Rhiannon and Cos are my final 3 too, I would be happy for any of them to win, I like them all.  Libby right now for me is a close 4th.  Happy for the other 3 to go in whatever order.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Nov 12, 2013 @ 7:53 AM

I still remain convinced they seem to be trying to wipe out these poor remaining contestants, but Tina Arena? KILLING it.  I don't know why, in the first few weeks, she seemed to either dislike or not trust her partner but they had the chemistry of a wet sock.  Then about three weeks ago something changed and she started to look at him and engage with him whilst dancing - magic happened.  The difference was incredible.  I have noticed, though (and I don't know if this is part of it) that Tina and Damian have had few or no lifts in their recent dances?  You notice it because other dances with the male stars are so lift heavy at times.  I wonder if that's been the difference?  Possibly Tina was so freaked out or scared by the lifts that she spent the rest of the dance focusing on them and nothing else?  Either way, if I'm right, dropping them was the best move ever.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2013 @ 8:21 PM

Tina and Rhiannon are killing it and are the single reasons why i'm watching an Australian show from the US.

Tina has been letting go and that Jive was incredible.

Aric is a great choreographer, but lately i've been noticing him recycling choreo. His Instant Samba with Zoe last season was almost an exact replica of his Samba with Haley Bracken. His Team dance this year to Single Ladies borrowed heavily from The US's season 8 version, even down to the outfits, the reveal at the end, and the end position by the judges table. 

I noticed it again in last night's Samba with Rhiannon to Wings. The sequence of moves that started with the lines "my feet, feet can't touch the ground..." are almost an exact replica of the move sequence to that same line in the song when Amber and Derek did their Cha Cha to that song this season of US DWTS.

I like you Aric, but this recycling stuff has got to stop.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Nov 19, 2013 @ 4:32 PM

Well, after watching last night's episode, I couldn't be happier with the final three as the cream has definitely risen to the top.  I wonder if FINALLY a female will win this show?  I do think it should be between Tina and Rhiannon due to their overall excellence over several seeks, whilst Cos has been a bit uneven - however, I'm not sure if his personal popularity/following will get him over the line in the end anyway.

nozycat

nozycat

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 20, 2013 @ 8:05 PM

Yeah totally agree with the final 3.  I didn't get Todd's comment that Libby out of all of them deserved to be there.  I think she was great and really improved but wasn't as good as the other 3.  I also think Cos has been better than the judges have been scoring.  For me Tina comes first with Rhiannon and Cos pretty even.  Tina seems to have improved the most imo.  But I am happy for them to come in any order, they are so close afaic.

dzidas

dzidas

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 22, 2013 @ 11:52 AM

I've been catching up with this season lately and I must say I really enjoy it, so much better than the American version. The right three are in the finals and I'm glad about it. I actually think Cosentino is quite good and have been underscored on a couple occasions, he's definitely better than some of the previous male winners. Rhiannon started off really well, but seems to be getting worse rather than better lately? I thought her Jive was really, really bad and horribly overscored by the judges. Her samba was good but not really 10-worthy, but I think her hip-hop last week was a little underscored. Tina is so impressive now, she's improved so much recently and has pretty much nailed her every routine since the fusion dance. Loved the samba, the jive, the foxtrot. Amazing. I do agree that her paso doble last week was one of the best pasos on the show, wonder if she can keep the momentum going into the finals. Really excited about the finals next week.

nozycat

nozycat

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 23, 2013 @ 7:39 PM

Yeah I thought Cos was underscored a couple of times too.  I loooved his jazz but 3 of the judges didn't.

Rhiannon seems very anxious and perfectionistic to me which means I don't relax when she dances, whereas with Tina and Cos I just fully enjoy it.  But I still think Rhiannon is very good and deserves to be in the final 3.

dzidas

dzidas

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 25, 2013 @ 5:01 PM

One thing I forgot to add is that I absolutely LOVED Rhiannon's Great Gatsby Cha Cha, even though I was fully prepared to hate it, as the song wasn't particularly suited for the style and I hate when there's not enough proper content. But I completely loved everything about it and I thought the choreo was very smart and the Charleston pieces blended well with the actual cha cha content. It's definitely my favorite routine by Rhiannon and Aric. I also think it was too early for a perfect 40 in week three and it hurt Rhiannon more than anything else in a sense that she couldn't really capitalize on that and couldn't match the score for the next couple weeks which must have been quite disappointing. Moreover, it didn't allow for any sort of a growth arc and subsequent lower scores made it look like she wasn't improving at all (in my opinion she peaked with the Cha Cha).

Are the finalists doing redemption dances this year? I'd give Tango to Tina, Jive to Rhiannon and maybe VW to Cos.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 7:53 PM

Such a disappointment once again that the Australian public voted for yet another "eh" male celeb over much better female celeb dancers.

Seriously, when was the last time a female once the Australian version? I've been watching it for maybe 4-5 seasons and it's always been mediocre men beating much better females.

Once Tina left, the winner was obvious. The scores gave Tina a 3, Rhiannon a 2, and Cos a 1, so for Tina to leave on top of the leaderboard, she had to have gotten a 1 in the voting for a total of 4 and Cos obviously then got a 3 in the votes to match her 4 total and have the public vote override it. Seriously, why is this DWTS still using that scoring system? The US DWTS breaks it all down in percentage.

cousin oliver

cousin oliver

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 10:45 PM

Seriously, when was the last time a female won the Australian version?

Way back in 2007 - two seasons that year, both won by women (Kate Ceberano and Bridie Carter).

Edited by cousin oliver, Nov 26, 2013 @ 10:45 PM.

nozycat

nozycat

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 27, 2013 @ 6:00 AM

Yeah I think the scoring system here is ridiculous.  Also how the public vote is based on the previous week's performances and the judges on the current week.  Not that the judges scores matter in the final week.  I also would like to see them promoting the charities more, they are pretty much presented as an after thought.

I did think Tina had improved the most over the series and that she deserved the win and was very surprised she went out 3rd.  But I didn't think Cos was mediocre, I thought he was great and loved his performances.  I loved Rhiannon too and for once agreed that this was the best season so far.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Nov 27, 2013 @ 8:36 AM

Well, after watching the final I can only agree with you, PBGamer.  It clearly is nearly impossible for a female celebrity to win this show, no matter how good they are.  I honestly think Tina was robbed because her performances in recent weeks have been just outstanding.  Even though all three finalists were excellent, I think she deserved the win.  Clearly Todd agreed with me because of his comment when he was judging Cos's and Jess's freestyle i.e. "You do deserve to be here.  Mind you, so did Tina Arena."  I actually thought that was quite inappropriate because it was almost as though he was blaming Cos for his clear favourite not being in the final.  The expressions on the faces of Jess and Cos after Todd said this were quite funny, actually.  Cos and Rhiannon didn't invent the voting system - they only benefited from it.  It makes sense that they resonated more with the public.  Rhiannon has evidently been featured in a major storyline on H&A recently and Cos has his fans from the Australia's Got Talent days.  Tina is a bit of an icon in her own right but she hasn't released much in the marketplace recently, she doesn't live in Australia and I suspect some may have perceived her as a little stuck up (even though I don't think that's how she is - I think she was just really introverted at the start of the show).  Anyway, I really did enjoy this season and I hope the next, if there is one, is as good.

dzidas

dzidas

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 27, 2013 @ 10:17 AM

I'm quite surprised, cause given the ability of the three finalists I'd expected all the dances to be spectacular, and they were all mediocre at best. I thought Cos actually had the best redemption dance, maybe I'm blind but for me his technique was quite good in the samba and he actually had a lot of hip action, which is rare for a male celeb on this show. Tina's Tango was good but not great, it lacked the sharpness and the staccato rhythm and her frame was soft at times. Not even close to her best dance. I also agreed with Todd's comments on Rhiannon's VW, I appreciated the fact that they put more content in it, because that's what I always look for, but the end result was... unimpressive? I much preferred her original VW as a whole so again, it was nowhere near her best. And while I thought her personality was lovely, and she was always very sweet and humble, that grin she had throughout the whole routine was VERY annoying.

Tina was clearly the best in the cha cha (and no lifts) so I'm glad she was scored accordingly. I did think Rhiannon improved her new yorkers, so there's that but there were way too many lifts in there. Then again, it must have been awkward for her to hear that she's improved and then get 32 after having scored 38 on her original cha cha.

Freestyles were disappointing too. Tina's was flat out boring, Rhiannon's was good but I felt like I've seen it all before 10 times, and Cosentino basically re-did his contemporary from week one. Yawn. I really thought they were an amazing final three but that was a very disappointing finale all in all. And I have to defend Cos, even though I also think a female winner is long overdue for the show. He's a good dancer, I think he's been underscored a couple times, and well he's definitely miles above Johnny or Manu or that guy who won over Tamara Jaber. So even though I think Tina deserved to win (based on her overall performance in the series), I'm okay with Cos winning.