Dancing with the Stars (Australia)

• Please log in to reply

3973 replies to this topic

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Sep 29, 2004 @ 7:44 AM

This show sounds like unmissable viewing to me - the return of Daryl Somers to TV, Matt Shirvington and Pauline Hanson dancing. Here's some more information about it. I can't wait. Love me some high camp TV!

Reny Sue

Reny Sue

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2004 @ 5:36 AM

Am I the only one watching this? When Peter Allen gave that high score to someone Helen has just criticised he got the DEATH STARE. Therefore she is my fave judge.

Also, FUCK OFF PAULINE! No-one likes you!

Bill1978

Bill1978

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2004 @ 6:15 AM

I enjoyed watching the show. Although I think the women will have it tough. The sport is really about the women and this was reflected in tonight's judges score. The man got to just stand and swivel and get good marks. I would have preferred for all of them to dance the same dance, it's so much easier to compare.

Were some of the rehearsals held in the dance studio that was filmed for Strictly Ballroom? John Wood's rehearsal looked like it was and there was another.

Apparently I can't vote. My mobile is prepaid and it's not compatible. Or am I just hallucinating from the excitment of finally seeing an ad for TAR5.

Also, FUCK OFF PAULINE! No-one likes you!

[quiet little voice] I do. Some twisted part of me, would love to see her in a Kath & Kim style sitcom, or in her own reality show. I hate her as a politcin but she is so self-depreciating it's funny [/quiet voice]

Thanks for starting the thread Reny Sue

j91

j91

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 5, 2004 @ 6:26 AM

I was flicking through the channels and I came across the end of this. Hearing Darryl Sommers' voice on tv again kinda brought a tear to my eye. Well not really, but you know what I mean.

Bill1978

Bill1978

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2004 @ 6:30 AM

Hearing Darryl Sommers' voice on tv again kinda brought a tear to my eye. Well not really, but you know what I mean.

I know what you mean, it a wierd kind of way it was comforting. And the break has done him good. Cause I actually laughed out loud at some of his jokes. Does anybody else think he has lost weight?

I thought it was a nice reunion having 3 actors from Strictly Ballroom on.

And it was nice to see John Woods having some support from his co-workers. Initially I thought they were delusional fans, and then I thought they were his children. But no, just sad little co-workers.

Frogboy Lives

Frogboy Lives

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 5, 2004 @ 6:58 AM

Was it just me or did anyone else want/expect Red Symons on the judges panel ala Red Faces?

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Oct 5, 2004 @ 7:33 AM

Count me relieved I'm not the only one who decided to watch this. :)

Random thoughts:
  • Not sure if I missed Daryl or not. I still think he's a tool, but he was so much a part of my formative years.
  • I won't even pretend to know anything about dancing. But even I could see how much Pauline sucked. I loved when she said to her partner in that thick Strine accent, "Geez, this is gonna be a bloody DISASTER!" How right she was.
  • Dr Katrina looks like she SHOULD be able to dance, but her dancing reminded me a bit of Elaine's. (Seinfeld)
  • The rower guy who's 6'6" did really well, considering that extra tall peple generally don't do so well as dancers. And also, couldn't they have found him a partner who's not a foot shorter than him? Couldn't they have found Pauline a partner who's not a foot shorter than her?
  • Looks like Seven is banking on this show doing well. Live band, live singers (could have done without the female one!).

bluezombie

bluezombie

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2004 @ 7:47 AM

I caught the end couple of dances. Was I the only one who thought Daryl seemed really awkward and out of place, sort of like he didn't know what to do?

SMS voting for this show seems ridiculous too.

Obviously Pauline will be booted as she had the lowest judge score, and almost nobody likes her (and can admit to it.) But if I was ever going to vote (or even watch again, up against Survivor I doubt it) I'd pick her as she'd be the most interesting to see week after week.

Dawei

Dawei

Stalker

Posted Oct 5, 2004 @ 8:00 AM

Yeah, Darryl sucks. I hate him. Drunkard, go wrap yourself around a tree.

And what's with the SMS voting? Are they really expecting this trainwreck to be popular? Whatever! Justin Melvey? Ha!

CarlyM

CarlyM

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2004 @ 8:08 AM

That male judge on the end? Yeah, his hair kind of scared me.

I actually laughed quite a bit at this show, probably not for all the right reasons though. I loved the lanky rowboat man, he was great. The last person I saw was good 'ol Pauline before The O.C called my name.

Daryl was good in some parts, and annoying in others. I agree with whoever said he looked uncomfy too. He was getting kind of fidgety when he wasn't in control of everything.

Taitn

Taitn

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 5, 2004 @ 11:35 AM

I saw bits of it during the Survivor ad breaks and it looked pretty meh. The "celebrities" barely rank higher than those on Celebrity BB, but at least it's something other than Everybody Loves Raymond.

Edited by Taitn, Oct 5, 2004 @ 11:45 AM.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Oct 5, 2004 @ 3:47 PM

Whatever! Justin Melvey? Ha!

[embarrassed] I actually thought he was kinda pretty. [/embarrassed]

Nikkei

Nikkei

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 5, 2004 @ 6:58 PM

He's more than kinda pretty...

I felt sorry for Pauline - I don't think she was any worse than Dr Katrina. Dodgy politics shouldn't really come into it.

And yay! for Tina Sparkle!

Reny Sue

Reny Sue

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2004 @ 7:17 PM

I LMAO when Sonia Kruger danced down the stairs.

And Daryl Sommers SUCKS. I hated Hey, Hey Its Saturday because of him (only tuned in for Red Faces) and he set my teeth on edge last night.

AndyCake

AndyCake

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2004 @ 7:42 PM

I too watched this in the Survivor ad breaks, so didn't catch many dances, but some random throughts:
  • Could Justin keep his bottom to himself... please?! God, his entire dance consisted of a series of strange bum rolls...scary
  • Pauline was just awful,, absolutely no rhythm and her whole torso was like she had on one of those braces preventing scoliosis, so you can't bend your back at all
  • Darryl Sommers was pretty painful, he obviously hasn't used the 5 or so years off TV to update any of his gags, some of those scripted jokes were just PAINFUL, the whole "I keep saying nine instead of seven', the fake phone ringing after saying not to call. He's really showing his age and the fact that he just doesn't belong on TV anymore. He may appeal to some old foggies, who will be all sentimental, but ugh
  • Was it just me, or did Katrina's dyed section of her hair make her look like she had a massive bald spot? Seriously, I looked closely a number of times and each time it looked like she was missing a huge patch of hair from the side of her head!!
  • Sonia Kruger needs to get a new agent pronto, 'cause her career is just going from strength to strength, yeah, from Surprise Wedding to this!

Edited by AndyCake, Oct 5, 2004 @ 7:46 PM.

Dawei

Dawei

Stalker

Posted Oct 5, 2004 @ 8:41 PM

Was it just me, or did Katrina's dyed section of her hair make her look like she had a massive bald spot?

Seriously. I thought it was hair pulled back into those cornrow things she had going (after thinking it was a big shaven/bald patch), but that was dye? Yeesh.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Oct 5, 2004 @ 8:59 PM

And not only were Katrina Warren and Hanson by far the worst of the female B-list celebrities as far as dancing went, but it's a toss-up between those two for the most unpleasant speaking voice. I have a theory that Dr K's voice is what makes her so good at training the doggies - you certainly can't ignore it because it's like some sort of drill. Eeek!

AndyCake

AndyCake

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2004 @ 10:15 PM

Seriously. I thought it was hair pulled back into those cornrow things she had going (after thinking it was a big shaven/bald patch), but that was dye? Yeesh

Dawei, not sure, I never quite got a good look at it to tell for sure, kept on getting freaked out, so I ended up initially thinking it was a bald spot, then thinking maybe it was a hair thingy and then thinking it was maybe a blond section dyed into her hair. Who knows?

Andrew's Mommy

Andrew's Mommy

Stalker

Posted Oct 6, 2004 @ 12:30 AM

I'm wondering whether Bec Cartwright is a decent dancer, or is her dancing style destined to end up in a 99c bin like her singing career.

It could have been worse (though I didn't get a chance to watch) .... Tammin Sursok aka Princess Dani could have been chosen to participate!

AndyCake

AndyCake

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 6, 2004 @ 1:03 AM

I read in an article that Bec has had a lot of previous dancing training, so she's favourite to win or something. Didn't see her performance, so can't comment, but obviously she had a big advantage over the others if she's danced a lot and should be heaps better.

It could have been worse (though I didn't get a chance to watch) .... Tammin Sursok aka Princess Dani could have been chosen to participate!

Andrew's Mommy, you are so, so right. Now everytime I see annoying Bec or other H&A alumni, I will temper my rage with "At least it's not Princess Dani"... Lalala

Dawei

Dawei

Stalker

Posted Oct 6, 2004 @ 1:40 AM

What do they "win" anyway? Why are we meant to care?

But yeah, Tammin Suckscock, arghghgh.

Bill1978

Bill1978

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2004 @ 2:08 AM

Pauline Hanson was on Mornings With KAK. She was mainly there to plug her Senate run. But KAK bought up last night's effort. And Pauline said (paraphrasing) 'I began thinking what have I got myself into, but when I agree to do something I follow through. Plus it's for charity'

So my guess is, that the winning celebrity will donate $5 to the chairty of their choice with the remaining celebrities giving their charity money on a sliding scale.

I'm going to assume that profits from the votes will go to the celebrities charity choice. So if I voted for Pauline then it would go to the 'Free Innocnet Politicians Who Have Never Done Anything Wrong' cause. Where if I voted for Matt, it would go to the 'Better Lunch Packaging' charity. Which could explain why my vote got rejected from a prepaid mobile. I don't know. I'm just embarrassed that I attempted to vote.

bluezombie

bluezombie

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 6, 2004 @ 3:27 AM

So, who did you try to vote for?

Ugh, can you imagine Princess Dani on this show, she'd be a nightmare if she didn't get a perfect score, and the actual dancing would probably turn into a Sophie Eliis Bextor film clip.

Bill1978

Bill1978

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2004 @ 3:44 AM

So, who did you try to vote for?

I take the 5th.

Ugh, can you imagine Princess Dani on this show, she'd be a nightmare if she didn't get a perfect score, and the actual dancing would probably turn into a Sophie Eliis Bextor film clip.

I'm pretty sure that if Princess Dani was on the show and she got Pauline's score then we would see a nice recreation of the Murder On The Dancefloor clip. Or is that giving her way too much credit in the smart stakes.

This has been bugging my family. But what the hell was Justin's character and role on Home & Away. Who did he go out with on the show etc. It's driving us nuts, since we all watch the drivel.

bluezombie

bluezombie

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 6, 2004 @ 5:42 AM

Maybe I should take the fifth, but I'll answer.

Justin played Harry, who had various surnames because he was a spy or in witness protection or something. He was a teacher at one stage, also a pilot. The majority of his time, he spent dating Shauna (Kylie Watson) the female lifeguard with short dark hair, but for a while, he dated Gypsy. He eventually left to go live with his mummy Rowena Wallace on the Whitsundays after Shauna dumped him. Now he gets to hang out with Fisher too.

Reny Sue

Reny Sue

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2004 @ 11:38 AM

Ugh, The Panel were bitching about how rude the judges were to Pauline last night, which I would understand if it was anyone but Pauline FUCKING Hanson. That bitch desrves everything she gets (well except jail)

Dawei

Dawei

Stalker

Posted Oct 6, 2004 @ 5:15 PM

I think the point is they shouldn't have made it personal, and they're right. I too was uncomfortable. They clearly brought her on to make her a punching bag. I hate Pauline, but that wasn't the arena to mock her.

Andrew's Mommy

Andrew's Mommy

Stalker

Posted Oct 6, 2004 @ 6:26 PM

I can't understand why they'd have halfwit sooky voice Justin Melvey (bleh) on this show. Considering his last outing was on DOOL on Ch9 (which by skipping 4 yrs has dumped ALL his episodes. HEE!)

AndyCake

AndyCake

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 6, 2004 @ 8:25 PM

Man, why is this show up against Survivor when I don't have a video recorder in the house? I actually wouldn't mind seeing the whole thing.

Another thing they mentioned on The Panel last night was that the contestants had to have had no dance lessons to be eligible to participate, but surely this means Bec shouldn't be on? Granted, she may have never had ballroom lessons, but just having dance training of some sort gives her a huge advantage in knowing how to pick up steps quickly and coordinate her feet.

Nikkei

Nikkei

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 7, 2004 @ 1:30 AM

Lessons or no lessons, she still scored pretty low. I guess that's the last time she'll agree to an illegal lift in a waltz.