Hope Springs Eternal: Ratings and Scheduling

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

13126 replies to this topic

Polter-Cow

Polter-Cow

Stalker

• Interests:I like movies, music, books, comics...damn, I'm really boring. Until you get to know me, after which I'm slightly less boring.

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 12:56 AM

A show this good is doomed, so let's keep track.

I hear the pilot is going to be rerun. Can this be confirmed? When?

Dachelle

Dachelle

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 1:06 AM

Indeed, it is. Checking for listings for Veronica Mars on Yahoo's T.V. site turns up re-airings on Friday at 9/8 Central, and on Sunday at 10/9 Central.

trustanti

trustanti

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 1:09 AM

When does the ratings information surface? Maybe if we can get the entire state of California to tune it, it won't get canceled.

As fast.

..maybe.

MisterZ

MisterZ

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 7:10 AM

Should we start a cancellation pool? 'Cause this show is so gonna get cancelled. It's too good to stay on the air in this age of One on One, Who Wants To Marry My Dad?, and Joe Millionaire.

potomous

potomous

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 7:50 AM

Why when all things suck on t.v. do the few thing I want to watch occur simultaneously? I am not at home on Tuesday nights. I MUST record Scrubs. . . I love it. And of course, Veronica occurs at the same time. I only have a lowly VCR. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am so bummed.

MisterZ

MisterZ

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 8:06 AM

I have three letters for you: D. V. R. I have Time Warner's box and it rocks -- it taped this and The Wire at the same time.

kieyra

kieyra

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 8:44 AM

The pilot will re-run, according to my local listings, at 9pm EST on 9/24 (Friday night, tomorrow) and at 10pm Sunday, 9/26.

ETA: Oops, just realized I duplicated Dachelle's post. I misread the times there ('10/9') as dates and thought it was playing Oct. 9th, too. Heh. Well, I'll leave this here anyway.

I only have a lowly VCR. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am so bummed.

Well... it seems like it's a trend these days for new shows to get re-run a lot. Maybe they'll continue to have other showings of Veronica. I'm in the same Scrubs boat, but I have more recording options. Also, downloading.

Edited by kieyra, Sep 23, 2004 @ 8:50 AM.

Benito

Benito

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 8:53 AM

The fact that the show is 100% doomed actually sucks a bit more, because I surprisingly kind of liked it. It reigned in the quirky just enough to actually have been viable for about 2 seasons on any other network besdies UPN.

Surly

Surly

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 10:18 AM

I've been trying to figure out if/when this airs in Canada. Does anyone have any idea?

rss

rss

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 10:54 AM

I caught part of it last night, but missed some. I'd also like to see it in its entirety and would appreciate if anybody who knows where to look for information/local listings could post a link.

les94111

les94111

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 10:54 AM

Sorry folks... the ratings sucks... Thought I would watch this instead of OTH... Oh well...

zap2it:
"The first of two hours of "Law & Order," 12.2/19, gave NBC the lead at 9 p.m. "Dr. Phil" improved to 10.1/16 for CBS. ABC dropped to third with the return of "The Bachelor," 6.2/9. Two episodes of "The Bernie Mac Show" moved FOX up to fourth. "The Mountain" debuted to a 2.6/4 on The WB, while UPN's "Veronica Mars" managed only a 1.8/3 in its premiere."

Edited by les94111, Sep 23, 2004 @ 10:57 AM.

professor

professor

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 11:18 AM

Ugh. Those ratings suck. And that's with the post ATM slot. Perhaps UPN should take a cue from other networks and FUCKING ADVERTISE THEIR SHOWS.

I was in San Francisco last week and the promos for Lost and Mountain were omnipresent. Mostly transit and outdoor, but ABC & WB bought some serious media in that market. I live in Chicago and have seen NOTHING re: UPN shows.

Let this put in perspective how shitty UPN's marketing is: I work in advertising, specifically Media Strategy. This means that I'm the guy that decides how to spend our client's advertising dollars. In theory I should be cued in to what's coming up the pipe for the new season, right? The first I had heard of this show is when the TWOP Powers That Be announced that they'd be recapping the show. That is just assy promotion.

Fix it UPN.

QueenAnne

QueenAnne

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 11:54 AM

Next week the timeslot moves, to Tues. at 9 PM. Not sure what that puts it up against, but that's what the "bumpers" this week said will happen next.

The only reason I knew about the show was because I also checked TWoP. Plus I think I read about it last year in the Entertainment Weekly TV preview issue. Otherwise, nothing.

Editing b/c Fabrisse is right.

Edited by QueenAnne, Sep 23, 2004 @ 12:00 PM.

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

• Interests:Heroes, Stargate SG-1, Smallville, Criminal Minds, Eureka, House, Good Eats

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 11:56 AM

Tuesday at 9p.m.

I hope that as with Smallville when it first started, the chance to see the pilot again will help this show get better ratings. Even if it weren't a family thing (and I cannot tell you how bother I was by how fast the final end credits were played), I think it's a good show and deserves a little patience from the parent network.

nemi842

nemi842

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 2:12 PM

Ugh. Those ratings suck. And that's with the post ATM slot.

Unfortunately, ANTM didn't even provide a decent lead-in. It's numbers placed it firmly in last for its timeslot, too. I'm so depressed at these numbers. I've been eagerly awaiting this show. (I did see ads for it--but only on UPN during its other programming.) I even chose it over Lost, which I also wanted to watch. Adding to that, I wasn't even disappointed! Even though I found some of it a bit implausible (motorcycle gang? in high school?), the acting and writing were so wonderful, I didn't mind in the slightest.
Considering how quickly UPN pulled the plug on both Haunted and Jake 2.0 despite the positive reviews they got, I'm afraid we'll be lucky to see three eps of Veronica Mars. So sad.

kieyra

kieyra

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 2:16 PM

I even chose it over Lost, which I also wanted to watch.

Weren't Lost and VM in different timeslots last night? (8pm and 9pm respectively).

violet4120

violet4120

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 2:23 PM

I guess we'll have to see how well it does on (and if it can draw a considerable crowd from) MTV.

Too bad UPN can't advertise good shows as well as they can shitty ones.

nemi842

nemi842

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 2:30 PM

Weren't Lost and VM in different timeslots last night? (8pm and 9pm respectively).

I was just coming to change that--make it UPN & ABC's line-ups (I must have been switching back & forth btwn ANTM & Lost). They were on at 7, & Veronica Mars at 8MST.

Edited by nemi842, Sep 23, 2004 @ 3:30 PM.

kieyra

kieyra

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 2:32 PM

Hm.

Well, in other scheduling news, I've made the decision to start taping Scrubs and watching Veronica Mars. Gilmore Girls/VM is going to be a cool Tuesday night lineup, I think.

Blue Castle

Blue Castle

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 2:41 PM

Yeah, now that the Amazing Race is finished for this season, I'll give Veronica Mars another shot next week. But honestly, the only reason I happened upon it was because I don't have cable and UPN is one of the five stations I get. Promote your shows, UPN!

Edited by Blue Castle, Sep 23, 2004 @ 2:42 PM.

Invisible Green

Invisible Green

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 4:52 PM

Judging by the ratings, I don't think VM will be around much longer.

If I were to make a bet, I'd put my money on the show's cancellation being announced 15 days from now. UPN'll likely fill the time slot with ANTM reruns.

:(

Benito

Benito

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 6:28 PM

Too bad UPN sucks. Maybe somebody will notice Kristen Bell and give her a show on a real network (hey, it happened to the guy in "Jake 2.0").

devianna

devianna

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 6:59 PM

The only reason I knew about the show was because I also checked TWoP.

Same here. This show is going to visit Wonderfalls pretty quickly.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 7:43 PM

I don't think this show will be cancelled immediately, it's not on Fox, it's on UPN, which could use a potential cult show, ala "Buffy, which this could be, if they nurtured it. They may be aware of this, and hold off on the cancellation trigger finger for a while. Maybe next weeks dreaded guest star will actually help and pull in some morons, that wouldn't otherwise watch.

skripka2

skripka2

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 9:42 PM

Damn. Now I'm sort of glad that they're doing the stunt casting. If I watch through my fingers, will that count?

I'm hoping the UPN thing will get us at least a full season, but I'm not going to hold out much hope. I've been burned too often as of late.

I've been watching UPN (for the SG-1 reruns), and I only caught this because of a laudatory article in the newspaper TV guide. Who runs the promo departments of these networks, anyway?

Benito

Benito

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 10:03 PM

Monkeys?

QueenAnne

QueenAnne

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 10:15 PM

Just wondering if anyone knows what a "good" rating for a UPN original drama series is? That is to say, how do the ratings for VM stack up against those of Haunted and Jake 2.0? I know last night's ratings looked dreadful, but maybe as far as UPN is concerned, they're not too bad.

ETA: Also, Jake 2.0 looked like it cost to give it that slick look. Maybe they did it on a shoestring, but perhaps VM costs less to produce.

Edited by QueenAnne, Sep 23, 2004 @ 10:17 PM.

skripka2

skripka2

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2004 @ 1:01 AM

Monkeys?

Terrifying network monkeys?

GrrArgh. It's like Firefly all over again. And Wonderfalls. I don't watch F*x--not anymore, and I lasted a full 12+ months without even flipping by. However, that never stopped me from knowing every. Single. Damn. Thing. About The OC--when it airs, who the actors are, etc. Why should I have to rely on TWoP to let me know about TV I want to watch?

In other news: Maybe ratings will be better on the regular slot?

MisterZ

MisterZ

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2004 @ 7:29 AM

Monkeys?

Seriously.

(Sorry. Couldn't resist. That joke has become a staple of my daily life.)

devianna

devianna

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2004 @ 2:02 PM

That is to say, how do the ratings for VM stack up against those of Haunted and Jake 2.0?

In the article on The Futon Critic about the ratings from Wednesday night, there was a comparison to the network's ratings in the same timeslot a year ago and the ratings for VM were about the same as the ratings for Jake 2.0 last year.

The WB (households: 3.1/5, #5; adults 18-49: 2.3, #5) easily beat the launches of "America's Next Top Model" (households: 2.8/5, #13; adults 18-49: 1.8, #T13) and "Veronica Mars" (households: 1.8/3, #15; adults 18-49: 1.1, #15) on UPN (households: 2.3/4, #6; adults 18-49: 1.4, #6). In year-to-year comparisons (9/24/03),... UPN, meanwhile, was on par with new episodes of "Star Trek: Enterprise" (households: 2.6/4; adults 18-49: 1.9) and "Jake 2.0" (households: 1.9/3; adults 18-49: 0.9) a year ago.

VM did get higher ratings among the key demographic, though.