Ghost Hunters

• Please log in to reply

3977 replies to this topic

Rydell

Rydell

Posted Sep 5, 2004 @ 10:22 AM

Call it a real-life "Ghostbusters." This is a reality show about Atlantic Paranormal Society leaders Jason Hawes and Grant Wilson, who investigate ghost stories.

Season premiere: October 6 on the Sci-Fi Channel.

purplefishy

purplefishy

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2004 @ 2:00 PM

I can't wait for this show! I am so the paranormal's bitch when it comes to shows like this.

minivananne

minivananne

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 17, 2004 @ 2:04 PM

I am so in. Get ready to see lots of posts from me. I luuuuuuuhhhvsss me a good ghost story. I am still reeling from MTV's cancellation of "Fear". I'm pretty sure it had something to do with providing PTSD therapy for contestants.

Ananayel

Ananayel

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2004 @ 2:22 PM

I'm in too. For this and "Proof Positive," though I am still pissed at SciFi for both Farscape and being asshats about Mad Mad House 2. But I'm such a sucker for anything paranormal.

Now, if they would only bring us more eps of the new "In Seach of..." with Mitch Pileggi.

purplefishy

purplefishy

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2004 @ 3:26 PM

Does this mean that I wasn't the only one who actually enjoyed the Family Channel's "Scariest Places on Earth"? Please say yes. I'm hoping that this one might follow a similar line, only without all of the shaky camera movements that came thisclose to making me ill.

MaryWebGirl

MaryWebGirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2004 @ 5:15 PM

I loved that show! I was so sad when I Googled that monestary in Italy looking for more scary stories, and all I found was that they grow aborrio rice.

Ananayel

Ananayel

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2004 @ 5:33 PM

I loved that show too! I love Linda Blair, and I loved how she seemed to relish hosting that. And I especially loved how 90-95% of the screeching and weeping and flailing about was because these people had completely psyched themselves out to the point where they were giving themselves heart attacks over brushing against a spider web, and then they all just fed off each others' insanity. Great stuff.

purplefishy

purplefishy

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2004 @ 11:20 PM

I was so sad when I Googled that monestary in Italy looking for more scary stories, and all I found was that they grow aborrio rice.

Awww... all my illusions are shattered.

Yeah, part of it was that they were psyching themselves out, and psyching me out in the process, even though I knew it. I hope this show doesn't resort to that because it just takes away from it somehow.

minivananne

minivananne

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 5, 2004 @ 2:50 PM

I'm so excited for the first episode tomorrow. All my favorite shows to snark on are over, but now there will be Ghost Hunters, and for that I am truly grateful.

Edited by minivananne, Oct 5, 2004 @ 2:50 PM.

brandmed

brandmed

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2004 @ 3:52 PM

I am so excited about this show, which is really strange for me since I generally don't like reality shows. As a kid, I wanted to be a paranormal investigator when I grew up. That has changed but I am still fascinated by it all, even though I'm not enitrely sure whether or not I even believe in ghosts. These shows always get me really creeped out which is fun, and no, purplefishy, you were not the only one who loved that show...

purplefishy

purplefishy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2004 @ 4:10 PM

I quite nearly forgot to watch until I saw this thread up here again! Whew..close one.
Does anyone know anything about the format of the show?

Edited because I have lost my magical spelling powers

Edited by purplefishy, Oct 5, 2004 @ 4:25 PM.

MaryWebGirl

MaryWebGirl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2004 @ 9:33 AM

I thought the show was fairly interesting, but the biggest drawback was showing the personal lives of the investigators. I don't care about their family or work dramas, unless they need to fix the pipes on a haunted house (although for some reason I found it cute that they worked for Roto-Rooter). However, the creepy ass recordings they got made up for the boring parts. You wouldn't be able to keep me in a house that contained a ghost telling me to leave.

MaDaniels

MaDaniels

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 7, 2004 @ 10:05 AM

However, the creepy ass recordings they got made up for the boring parts.

I know! EVPs, very cool.

That Steve guy is hot. And that Brian guy sucks.

Ananayel

Ananayel

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2004 @ 10:08 AM

Agreed, MaryWebGirl. I hope that was just a first episode, get-to-know-you kind of thing. Because, well, more ghosts, less hunters. Given the abundance of other things I watch on Wed (ANTM, now WYWO and Lost) both this and Proof Positive need to become much more compelling in order to keep me from surfing away.

Britty

Britty

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 7, 2004 @ 10:36 AM

This show needs more ghosts and fewer staged TAPS family scenes.

purplefishy

purplefishy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2004 @ 10:37 AM

My last post was eaten by the evilness that resides in the internet.

I enjoyed this for the most part, just a few points.

EVP- Very creepy. Very clear as far as EVPs go for the most part. Some people try to refute them as evidence, but I don't think there's a logical real-world explanation for it.

That interviewer lady- what was her purpose? She was around for five seconds.

I think there's too much background music. Particularly when they were in the attic and they heard noises. I just didn't hear it so much.

minivananne

minivananne

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 7, 2004 @ 11:10 AM

Word on getting rid of the music. What was actually going on in the scene was far more creepy than whatever music they had going on. And I agree that there needs to be less talk about families and plumbing...I find it hard to really let myself get freaked out when I'm worrying that somebody's wife is going to leave him or that the Roto Rooter boys are going to get canned.

I will confess that my roommate and I had to go to the basement and get the laundry "together" after that episode. And it could have been so much worse. If they show a haunted mental hospital or something, it'll be all over at my household.

purplefishy

purplefishy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2004 @ 11:22 AM

New Title:
Paranormal Plumbers!

ETA: Maybe they added the bowling parts so the show would fall more under "Reality" than "SciFi"

Edited by purplefishy, Oct 7, 2004 @ 11:48 AM.

stacebabe

stacebabe

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 7, 2004 @ 12:33 PM

I thought this show was great, except like most of you posters, I could care less about their job status at Roto-Rooter and if their wives are best friends. The bowling thing was over the top.

The recordings were uber-creepy. I thought the little kid said, "We don't want you here", but the way they were talking at the end, and when Brenda was crying saying "We DO want them here!", did I hear that wrong?? Did the kid say "They don't want us here" and not "We don't want you here"??

Erugweste

Erugweste

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 7, 2004 @ 12:52 PM

I heard the evp as "they don't want us". The "yes" evp creeped me out, I actually turned down my tv volume when they kept replaying it. I love reading about paranormal stuff so I was excited for this show, but sadly it did not live up to my expectations because I did not realize I would also learn about plumbing.
I kind of wish they would do a follow up interview because it sounded like the woman was going to try to live peacefully with the spirits, I dunno, I just wanted to know more about her thoughts on living with spirits.

purplefishy

purplefishy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2004 @ 1:15 PM

I felt some serious chills at the "Yes" EVP. Totally freaky.
I agree, they could do some more follow up or epilouges with the people they help. I would like to see whether it worked out for them.

ETA: At first I heard it as "They don't want them" then, they kept replaying it and I heard it as "us" as well.

The lady was sort of sending mixed messages, though. Does she want them or not?

Edited by purplefishy, Oct 7, 2004 @ 1:23 PM.

stacebabe

stacebabe

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 7, 2004 @ 2:24 PM

Call me a big fat baby, but if I heard these creepy voices, I wouldn't be crying saying "I do want you!! I do!!" especially if some pi**ed off ghost is throwing toys at my daughter and playing tug of war with her. I'd be flipping the *f* out and packing my bags.

purplefishy

purplefishy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2004 @ 2:44 PM

I was thinking this several times during last night's episode. Seriously, if I even suspected there was something in that room with me, i'd be out of there so fast it would be rediculous.

minivananne

minivananne

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 7, 2004 @ 4:12 PM

I must confess that I grew up in a haunted house. Not with all the bumping and throwing stuff, but with two "ghosts" that my dad and sisters specifically remember seeing on a number of occasions. Denial is a beautiful thing, and rather than acknowledging that I ever saw anything (I did), I just refused to be alone in certain parts of the house. Denial worked well for me until I could get the hell out of there. My first night at college was extremely peaceful.

Looking back on it last night, my roommate was horrified at the thought of living some place haunted, but was else can you do? I thought about calling the house in to these guys...wouldn't the new owners love that?

DustyMama

DustyMama

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 7, 2004 @ 5:26 PM

minivananne, that's so interesting! What types of stuff did you and your family see exactly?

I haven't seen this show yet, but I was looking forward to it. Is it worth my time?

gaPeach

gaPeach

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2004 @ 5:33 PM

Add me to the list of people who love this scary stuff. I watched that MTV show....ok for the life of me I can't remember the name of it......where they had the kids do dares and go out into the haunted house, ship, hospital or prison to win money. Some of that shit was SCARY. The episode they had at Alcatraz (I think) they made one of the guys stay lock in a cell for over 24 hours all by himself.....shit it freaked me out and I was just watching it on tv sitting on my nice comfortable couch.

Anyhow, I agree, less Hunters more Ghosts. I will watch it again next week but if I learn how to fix a leak in my plumbing instead of finding ghosts I am gone.......

minivananne

minivananne

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 8, 2004 @ 8:33 AM

Add me to the list of people who love this scary stuff. I watched that MTV show....ok for the life of me I can't remember the name of it......where they had the kids do dares and go out into the haunted house, ship, hospital or prison to win money. Some of that shit was SCARY.

The show was "Fear" and it was some of their best programming. When they went to the mental hospital and the haunted mill in the southeast--those were some of the creepiest episodes. I sure as hell don't think I would have lasted.

As for what my family saw, there was apparently a woman in ivory colored clothing who hung out in the front part of the house near my sister's room and the living room. There was also a little boy in blue or gray who hung out on the second floor, again at the front of the house. He was more likely to be seen during bright daylight, and she was more evident at night. She was also associated with kind of "whooshing" through the dining room, living room and around the corner into my sister's room. That part of the house is probably 125 years old by now...

purplefishy

purplefishy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2004 @ 10:19 AM

Oh my ... you have more mental toughness than I would. My roommate (with whom I watched the show) said that her parent's apartment is haunted- both she and her sister have seen the same apparition on separate occasions. They know it was the same one because they described it in the same exact manner to their parents.

HelloImGod

HelloImGod

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 6:10 AM

I LOVE shows about the paranormal and I enjoyed all the ghost bits but please, cut down on the family and job crap. It drags and I'm sorry but I don't really care about your families.

And the homeowner bugged me when she started crying about the ghosts. If my daughter was dealing with some heavy stuff like that. I'd be saying 'you damn right I don't want you here, now get to steppin' not boo-hooing over it.

When they went to the mental hospital and the haunted mill in the southeast

You should check out the movie Session 9, it was filmed in that hospital.

purplefishy

purplefishy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2004 @ 3:27 PM

Does anyone know where to find the preview for next week's episode online?