S2: Andy - No Pizza For You!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

399 replies to this topic

Rydell

Rydell

Posted Sep 3, 2004 @ 6:46 PM

Andy: 23 years old; a recent Harvard graduate from Boca Raton, Florida.

More information on The Apprentice website

[Thanks to RubyintheRough and gastrolyor for the new thread title!]

Edited by Jacob, Nov 15, 2005 @ 3:48 PM.

BroMom

BroMom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 4, 2004 @ 12:06 PM

I dunno, I just love his kinda goofy grin. Plus, he's just a year older than my son, so I'm definitely feeling a maternal protective thing. Also he can debate --here's hoping he can use that skill and doesn't just get talked over or ignored, since there won't be a moderator. I don't even mind his comments about young folks. Young whippersnappers talk that way. Then they wise up as the years pass.

All in all, he's getting the pre-love from me.

Debbie Joan

Debbie Joan

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2004 @ 2:56 PM

I think he is a bit too young and doesn't have enough experience to make it to the end, like Jesse and Jason in AP1.

jrs

jrs

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2004 @ 4:43 PM

He called himself swarthy. Boy needs a dictionary.

ShadowDenizen

ShadowDenizen

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2004 @ 12:13 PM

Pre-like (but not love.)
Boy does indeed need a dictionary, and is a little young, IMO, to become the apprentice.

However, he has an endearing smile, and his response to this quiestion made me grin. (Full inteview at NBC.com):

What did you learn from the last season of the Apprentice?

1. Always stay on Carolyn and George's good side.

2. Taking a nap during a task is not a good idea.

3. Trump Ice is the world's most refreshing water.

4. NBC has an unbeatable Thursday night line-up.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

• Interests:I like TV.

Posted Sep 8, 2004 @ 4:56 PM

My pre-show odds on this one: 100-1 (So far all of my odds have been extreme long-shots, so thank goodness I'm not actually taking money on these or I'd lose my shirt.)

Anyway, Harvard-schmarvard. Go get a job and then come back in a couple years. I'd say he's got a real shot of being fun for us to watch, and maybe even being good at the tasks, but I think he'd lose out at the end due to lack of experience.

I also think that a few years working somewhere would help him deal with the backstabbing weasels that I'm sure he'll run up against in this game. Lawyers and Realtors and Stockbrokers, oh my!

Leevee

Leevee

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2004 @ 9:59 PM

I also think that a few years working somewhere would help him deal with the backstabbing weasels that I'm sure he'll run up against in this game.

You think high school didn't do that? Remember high school?

I'm also in the group of don't-think-he's-going-to-win, but I like him.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

• Interests:I like TV.

Posted Sep 9, 2004 @ 2:35 PM

All I remember about high school was playing street hockey, big 80's hair, and thinking that we'd all be friends forever. Blech.

Like I said, I'll be rooting for this kid, but even one adult experience with a realtor would have been a valuable experience for him. I was lied to more in one day by a person trying to sell me a house than I was in an entire semester in college. Weasels I tells ya, all of them, professional weasels, and Andy better use his big brain and learn quick.

Sincerity

Sincerity

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2004 @ 8:51 PM

I definitely don't think he has the potential to win, but he's very cute. I'll be in the shallow end of the pool, if anyone needs me.

Tortolia

Tortolia

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2004 @ 9:17 PM

It looks to me like Andy's fate is going to be entirely determined by how quickly he learns. I think he's a smart guy and will be able to defend himself well if he ends up in the Boardroom frequently, but the final arbiter is going to be how well he performs. A good run as PM or two could do Andy a whole lot of good.

I think he got picked due to his youth and inexperience, and if he does well in spite of that, perhaps Donald will look at him as a work in progress.

blackwing

blackwing

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2004 @ 9:20 PM

He irritates me for some reason. He's like a thinner, younger, smarter version of a grown up Fred Savage. Debate skills won't get you far if you have no substance to support. He doesn't have the experience Trump needs.

djeber

djeber

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2004 @ 9:39 PM

Didn't like this guy at all. He came across as thestereotype of the ivy league graduate: a smug, arrogant, know-it-all. Also, to quote Mirna, "he has a Napolean complex." Also, "Crustacean Nation" is a terrible name.

cherry

cherry

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 9, 2004 @ 10:22 PM

Yep, he's the only one of the group that rubbed me the wrong way so far. The "I'll take her out" (re Pamela, who also has Harvard on her cv, so there) cockiness ... I just think: "little wanker in serious need of a humbling." And I think the kids were absolutely lost right there at the name "crustacean nation." We like it 'cuz we're adults. But kids? Crustacean??? Would he call a toy octopus an "invertebrate"? No, right there, even before the unveiling of the toy, the kids were lost.

Nope, I don't see wunderkind. I see dork. Smug dork, too.

illogic

illogic

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 9, 2004 @ 10:30 PM

He strikes me as a cheesy congressional candidate. "Wow, that's a good, direct question! But I'm not here to compare resumes. And now, back to my talking points."

IvySpice

IvySpice

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2004 @ 10:47 PM

He's young and won't win, but so what? I'm betting Andy-as-PM will be a great episode to watch and a heck of an education for Andy.

I think it's possible Andy's getting rougher treatment than he would if he'd gone to some other college. Cocky 21-year-olds who went to Michigan are just cocky because they're 21 and need to get knocked around a little in the real world; a Harvard kid showing the exact same attitude gets called out in pretty tough terms. Remember that it's the producers/editors constantly reminding us of the Harvard affiliation every time he's on screen, not Andy himself. (Full disclosure: I'm also a Harvard grad, and yes, it really does happen pretty frequently that people automatically assume I must be some kind of snobbish prick without even talking to me.)

Maybe he'll prove to be a tool later on in the series, but IMHO he hasn't done so yet. In the meantime, I'll put some feelers out and see if I can get any inside scoop on this kid.

whycantispeak

whycantispeak

Posted Sep 9, 2004 @ 11:33 PM

Andy needs a size 12 right across the grill. Just a scared little boy, decides that he hates Pamela, mainly because she is a grown woman who couldn't care less that this kid is a "nationally ranked debater" (I wonder if he is in the top 3%)
I love the look on Trumps face when Andy wouldn't answer his question directly and then went to his " I didn't come here to compare resumes" spiel. I am not sure if Trump was stunned, angered or impressed. I say stunned, and I am positive Donald is giving Andy the business in next weeks boardroom.
Hate this kid so much.

emanuel316

emanuel316

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 10, 2004 @ 12:37 AM

So Andy is a nationally ranked debater. Does that make him a master debater?

Seriously though, this guy bugs me. Big time.

Edited by emanuel316, Sep 10, 2004 @ 1:02 AM.

nowrite2000

nowrite2000

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2004 @ 3:07 AM

Note to Andy: spelling out P.I.M.P. does not make you any less D.O.R.K.Y. so please S.T.F.U.

Kazoo Zak

Kazoo Zak

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 10, 2004 @ 10:37 AM

Note to Andy: spelling out P.I.M.P. does not make you any less D.O.R.K.Y. so please S.T.F.U.

Hahaha. Maybe it's force of habit and he's just been humble by not mentioning he was nationally ranked in the spelling bee, too.

What I'm wondering is though, does he want to hit Pamela with the edge of the shovel or the flat of the shovel?

Yumpy

Yumpy

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 10, 2004 @ 10:42 AM

Can you say G E E K

nkatekwan

nkatekwan

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 10, 2004 @ 11:04 AM

As a former collegiate debator I was amused to hear Andy describe himself as "nationally ranked," but a bit confused as I knew at least by name all of the good Harvard debators from the past few years.

Then I checked the debate forum and found that others were similarly confused. It turns out Andy was actually a champion in high school, and in an event that's essentially a consolation prize.

See the discussion here:
http://apdaweb.org/f...ead.php?tid=604

fshk

fshk

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 10, 2004 @ 11:39 AM

nkatekwan, I was about to post the same thing. I sometimes judge and coach college debate in the Northeast, so if he debated for Harvard, I would have run into him. I hadn't even heard of "commentary" (which is what he went to the high school nationals for) but the debate people I talked to say it's like extemporaneous speaking... which is not debate. It's a speech event. Public speaking is one thing, but Andy was bragging about his mad debate skillz on the show, so... yeah, not so much.

MandolinViola

MandolinViola

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2004 @ 12:24 PM

This guy needs a volume knob. Every solo interview he did, he was SHOUTING LIKE HE WAS TALKING OVER AN ANGRY MOB. I wonder if that's his debate technique: yell at the other team until they concede.

serendipitous

serendipitous

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 10, 2004 @ 2:46 PM

He reminds me of lawnboy Ronald Miller (Patrick Dempsey) in "Can't Buy Me Love." Maybe (for the cost of a white suede outfit), he can hire one of the women to act like he's cool, thus garnering the respect and admiration of all the other contestants?

Edited by serendipitous, Sep 14, 2004 @ 2:02 PM.

The Mee

The Mee

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2004 @ 2:58 PM

He reminds me of Alan Cumming. Or Brian Orser, if anyone remembers the figure skater from the 1988 Calgary Olympics.

Hawkwild

Hawkwild

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2004 @ 2:58 PM

What do you wanna bet that Andy got called the "Master Debater" all through high school, and never realized he was being ridiculed. <g>

meatballs

meatballs

Posted Sep 10, 2004 @ 3:04 PM

When he talked about his lobster toy idea, it was like he was in another world. Who would want to play with that thing? It was amazing that the other guys on his team decided to go along with it. For someone with so little experience, he is quite arrogant.

Tashanir

Tashanir

Posted Sep 10, 2004 @ 3:18 PM

When he talked about his lobster toy idea, it was like he was in another world. Who would want to play with that thing? It was amazing that the other guys on his team decided to go along with it. For someone with so little experience, he is quite arrogant.

He might as well have ended his little pitch by slumping his shoulders and saying, "Yes, I DID have the crap beaten out me every day in high school and I WAS pushed stuffed into a locker during gym class. thank you very much.

Doogie Howser wanna be.

Zycron

Zycron

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2004 @ 3:29 PM

It turns out Andy was actually a champion in high school, and in an event that's essentially a consolation prize.

Bwah! So he was a "master debator" in high school? *snerk* So much for his mad skillz. I bet he got beat up a lot in school.

yorkvillegirl

yorkvillegirl

Posted Sep 10, 2004 @ 3:32 PM

I missed the part when he said he wants to hit pamela with a shovel. So far, I think he may have the technical smarts but not enough common sense/street smarts.