Speculation Without Spoilers: Don't Forget the Sunscreen

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

5902 replies to this topic

Aatrek

Aatrek

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2004 @ 12:46 AM

And by "sunscreen," I mean "spoiler tags."

The Pez

The Pez

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2004 @ 5:17 PM

Would cancelation speculation go here?

If it does get canceled, I'm guessing 6-8 episodes. I hope it stays, or at least gets a season...seems interesting.

Arena

Arena

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2004 @ 5:47 PM

It's on the right network for a quick cancellation. I think Alias may have been the last new show that wasn't canceled from ABC in the first season.

I am hoping that it lives up to the hype and won't die a quick death. The cast looks good and I know that they have some good writers. I'm just not sure they can keep writing good stories. The writers are going to have to be very good to keep it interesting.

AlejandraDD

AlejandraDD

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2004 @ 11:59 AM

Would cancelation speculation go here?

I thought it was customary to open a "Cancellation Pool" thread on doomed shows

amnewsboy

amnewsboy

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2004 @ 9:48 PM

Has anyone heard when the Harlem Globetrotters are coming on as guest stars?

(OK, I'll shut up now.)

Gwynevere1

Gwynevere1

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 1, 2004 @ 5:01 PM

It's on the right network for a quick cancellation. I think Alias may have been the last new show that wasn't canceled from ABC in the first season.

I am hoping that it lives up to the hype and won't die a quick death. The cast looks good and I know that they have some good writers. I'm just not sure they can keep writing good stories. The writers are going to have to be very good to keep it interesting.

Hey, ABC's under new management, now. So, the new people won't be as quick to cancel. Right? Right?

It's not like it is on Friday night on FOX.

Jabs

Jabs

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 7, 2004 @ 6:54 PM

Random speculation:

As this is TV, and everyone must be pretty... I'm going out on a limb and guessing that enough razors, scented body wash, and copious amounts of make-up and haircare product will have survived the crash.

Why? Because you just KNOW they won't allow the girls to get hairy legs or not have flawless faces. I do wonder if they'll let people's hair grow out (men with beards, haircuts not flawless).

I'm also going to guess that any females who are not model physique will not survive the plane crash.

HavingFun

HavingFun

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 7, 2004 @ 7:21 PM

Jabs, what about birth control products? Or will this be one of those sex-free series, like Seventh Heaven? Will everyone keep wearing the same clothes they wear in the pilot, or will we start seeing grass skirts and animal skins?

shrams

shrams

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2004 @ 8:22 PM

Well, y'see, probably most of the luggage will have survived, mostly intact. So people may eventually have access to their own clothing and personal care products. Or those of the people who didn't survive. Even if we haven't seen the cargo area, I'm sure it will be found somewhere, fairly soon. That's my theory, anyway.

What's going to bum the survivors out the most, however, is that they won't be able to use any electroic gadgets that may have survived. At least not for long, even presuming any batteries are working. 48 people stranded without internet access, cell phones, iPods, TVs, PDAs, etc., those are going to be some mighty pissed off and depressed people. :)

builtwithlego

builtwithlego

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 8, 2004 @ 9:58 PM

Let's do a little math.

13 Major adult characters breaking down into:

9 Men and

4 Women.

Which gives us a 2.25:1 male to female ratio.

(I hate Hollywood.)

Therefore, I speculate that several of the main male characters will be gone before the end of the first season, and several of the tierciary female characters will become leads. Otherwise they either have to go the no sex route, or go all Dawson/Joey/Pacey on us.

Or several of the men could go gay. My vote is Somerhalder and the Hobbit. I'd tune in for that.

A Big Potato

A Big Potato

Fanatic

• Interests:http://www.myspace.com/foglianorules

Posted Sep 9, 2004 @ 8:36 AM

What's going to bum the survivors out the most, however, is that they won't be able to use any electroic gadgets that may have survived. At least not for long, even presuming any batteries are working. 48 people stranded without internet access, cell phones, iPods, TVs, PDAs, etc., those are going to be some mighty pissed off and depressed people.

Eh—As long as they've got a volleyball and a steady supply of blood they'll be fine.

dhb

dhb

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2004 @ 9:45 AM

Why? Because you just KNOW they won't allow the girls to get hairy legs or not have flawless faces. I do wonder if they'll let people's hair grow out (men with beards, haircuts not flawless).

And also, what about that little thing called weight? On Survivor most contestants who make it to the final two episodes have wasted away to almost nothing. And all of that is within a span of less than two months, with rice rations and sometimes special meals.

Maybe they land on an island that has pasta trees and milk fish?

HavingFun

HavingFun

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 13, 2004 @ 10:50 PM

Will the show depict the survivors slowly abandoning modern technology over the course of the series? If the survivors have guns and flashlights, for example, will the show gradually have the bullets run out and the batteries die? I remember in Robinson Crusoe, that character was able to plunder everything he needed to survive off the shipwreck. Modern airplanes don't generally pack the same level of necessities that seventeenth-century ships did.

dhb, I guess the difference between Lost and Survivor is that the contestants knew there was a maximum stay and a definite end. The plane crash survivors don't have that, so that will probably make them a lot more motivated in obtaining a sufficient amount of food. Then again, the settlers in Jamestown almost starved to death because they preferred hunting for gold over hunting for food. Of course, there is probably a sizable amount of protein available at the crash site, but I really hope the show doesn't go there. I don't want the first episode of Lost (or any episode) to become the Donner Party on Gilligan's Island.

Edited by HavingFun, Sep 13, 2004 @ 10:51 PM.

The Magus

The Magus

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2004 @ 5:27 AM

I don't think it will. The bodies would...er...spoil far sooner than it would take most people to get ready for a new taste experience, I think.

clack

clack

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2004 @ 9:22 PM

Terry O'Quinn, sitting crosslegged on the beach, his face upturned in the rain, his arms extended? Was he giving thanks? And was the rain familiar to him -- has he been on the island before? Did he sabotage the plane, to bring it to the island for his own purposes?

Or maybe he's been on the island all along, and wasn't in the plane?

BanjoSteve

BanjoSteve

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2004 @ 9:28 PM

What if this is one of those islands Japan took in WW2 where they forgot to go back and tell the soldiers the war was over, so there are really old Japanese pilots in the woods, still fighting WW2? That would be totally awesome! Better save that for sweeps. After the shark jump.

Duct Tape Fairy

Duct Tape Fairy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2004 @ 9:38 PM

Ooo that's a nifty theory BanjoSteve. They'd be seriously geriatric soldiers, but still.

ExplainItAgain

ExplainItAgain

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2004 @ 9:47 PM

What if this is one of those islands Japan took in WW2 where they forgot to go back and tell the soldiers the war was over, so there are really old Japanese pilots in the woods, still fighting WW2? That would be totally awesome!

That totally made me smile BanjoSteve.

Terry O'Quinn, sitting crosslegged on the beach, his face upturned in the rain, his arms extended?...

I am definitely thinking this is true of someone...but who? TOQ looks a little too well-fed to have been there all along, but stranger things have happened. What if he's from an earlier plane crash? He certainly did blend in seamlessly.

Edited by ExplainItAgain, Sep 22, 2004 @ 9:48 PM.

dreamweaver

dreamweaver

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2004 @ 9:48 PM

Maybe the world's cruelest reality show. It would have to be on the fox network and the monsters are simply to keep them from finding the wires and cables keeping their living prison going.

caia1970

caia1970

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2004 @ 10:16 PM

No he was on the plane. Sitting behind the woman Jack revived who lost her husband.

Irons

Irons

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2004 @ 11:35 PM

Maybe the world's cruelest reality show. It would have to be on the fox network and the monsters are simply to keep them from finding the wires and cables keeping their living prison going.

Wow dreamweaver, I wish you wrote for the networks! VERY clever!

I'm bettin' on aliens myself. The island is a maze,the people lab rats.

selkie

selkie

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 12:14 AM

Or dinosaurs. But then I've read one too many "small group of humans goes unstuck in time" science fiction books, and am already mentally comparing the show to Islands in the Sea of Time (my current favorite of that subgenre) I've also found myself telling the characters to strip the plane of anything that might be useful down to the seat cushions and tubing from the oxygen masks and to check pockets of the dead before they get too stinky.

Oh yeah, and dig the latrines far from the potable water.

HavingFun

HavingFun

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 12:21 AM

Selkie, looks like the scavenging has begun with Kate and the hiking shoes. Hopefully, everyone else will get into the act and pick the plane clean.

I wonder if anyone of the survivors will turn out to be people who need modern technology to survive. Like, what if one of them is a diabetic? How would that person survive once the insulin ran out? Or what about sunscreen, or will all the white people just get attractive tans rather than sunburns.

Also, I pray the pregnant woman doesn't name her baby Hope. Because that would be lame (and just plain wrong if the baby is a boy).

selkie

selkie

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 12:36 AM

Well you really want to get everything you can get from the wreckage before the bodies start really decomposing. If fat dude thought the stench was bad already, he ain't smelled nothing yet. And then use some of the remaining siphoned jet fuel to burn the bodies.

But we know they're stuck on the island, and they don't know that yet.

winkleworn

winkleworn

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 12:56 AM

So true, selkie.

They'll need to take care of the bodies quick. With that much rotting flesh the insects and pathogens will be enough to kill a lot of the survivors in days.

And burning is really the only option. Unless the monster is a scavenger.

I'm sure WonderDoc will know what to do.

ImagiNational

ImagiNational

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 1:20 AM

Am I the only one who thinks that they're stranded in some other dimension? When they showed the flashback, the sky outside looked strange, to me--maybe they went through some sort of Bermuda Triangle-esque wormhole or something?

Also, this may be horribly obvious, but, I'm assuming that the crash wasn't accidental.

queenb

queenb

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 1:28 AM

I've seen, I think on a few different threads, the idea that the plane didn't really crash, and I'm kind of intriguied by that idea. It vaguely fits with the fact that the show starts off with Jack who doesn't remember the actual crash and the fact that so many people survived with relatively few injuries such a horrific crash. And also the fact that the radio went dead several hours before they crashed. And that the pilot blacked out too and didn't seem to remember the crash.

I get the idea that someone is fucking with these people and that exactly what happened with the crash is going to be one of the running plot points. Though I really hope that the show focuses more on how they interact and set up their post crash world than on all the mystery stuff just because I love all the Lord of the Flies/Stand kind of stuff.

soulonice

soulonice

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 5:10 AM

I'm going down a supernatural road and I kept going back to the X-Cops episode of the X-Files where people's worst fears literally came to life. I wonder if it is something along those lines where there is no one "thing" but that the survivors are trapped in some kind of dimension/alternate reality where they themselves manifest stuff, like the gigantic dino-monster thing in the first episode and maybe the dog is a manifestation as well.

blushgoddess

blushgoddess

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 9:55 AM

If only someone had remember to pack a tin of Crisco.

I did this survival game-thing when I was in grade 3, and if you were stranded, you could (a) eat the Crisco; (b) use it as sunscreen or weather protector from wind; © use the underside as a reflector to attract planes; (d) use it as a general lube...

I'm sure WonderDoc does know that, though. It's only a matter of time before he pulls it out of his carry-on.

I think it would be somewhat interesting to see how the different people with their varying religions deal with issues like scavenging and burials, given how different people's traditions are regarding death. Of course, I'm a geek and things like that interest me. That's fine, keep the focus on the monster. I understand, JJ.

JDG

JDG

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 10:38 AM

I said this on the Island thread awhile ago, but I think the plane was transporting zoo animals like in Life of Pi.