Ratings and Scheduling Issues: We Don't Want No Stinkin' Reruns!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

2151 replies to this topic

Aatrek

Aatrek

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2004 @ 12:35 AM

Episode One (the first half of the pilot) airs Wednesday, September 22 at 8PM EST.

mrsdalgleish

mrsdalgleish

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2004 @ 10:11 AM

So...church choir members are not part of the targeted demographic, I guess.

Fortunately, no choir director has yet allowed me to sing tenor, so I'll be home. I'm looking forward to this one. Don't screw with me, JJ!!

DarkEmerald

DarkEmerald

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2004 @ 1:12 PM

Earlier in the summer, spoilers for Smallville looked so awful, and Lost was looking so intriguing, that it was a no-brainer, even for a diehard Lex Luthor fan like me: watch Lost, tape SV.

Now Smallville's looking up, and man, I'm really torn. I don't think I'm alone in this. Superman could beat the Hobbit. On the other hand, JJ Abrams could wipe the floor with SV's creators. Could be an interesting fight.

As I understand it, ABC pulling away a chunk of Smallville's "desirable demographic" audience would be a real coup.

StephenTrendy

StephenTrendy

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2004 @ 1:46 PM

Now Smallville's looking up, and man, I'm really torn. I don't think I'm alone in this.

You're not alone. I was really ready to drop SV altogether, and then this season looks good and it's up against this show. Dilemma much?

Audra

Audra

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2004 @ 1:51 PM

Not a dilemma for me. I have never gotten into Smallville and this was one timeslot last year I had nothing to watch so this is an easy choice here.

Jabs

Jabs

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 30, 2004 @ 3:44 PM

So...church choir members are not part of the targeted demographic, I guess.

Fortunately, no choir director has yet allowed me to sing tenor, so I'll be home. I'm looking forward to this one. Don't screw with me, JJ!!

mrsdalgleish, as a church choir director I'd like to formally invite you to join my choir. We need tenors.

And word, on the missing the show. I will have to tape and watch when I get back from rehearsal. On the plus side: I can ff through commercials. Also, I'll be sure to have the entire season on tape. On the down side: no real time reading/posting.

neptune36

neptune36

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2004 @ 7:00 PM

Woo hoo, no conflicts with Alias or The O.C.! I wasn't sure I was going to be watching, but now that it's going to be recapped, I'll just have to give it a try.

lainie

lainie

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 30, 2004 @ 8:47 PM

I'm conflicted because I (apparently alone) wanted to watch Hawaii, which airs at the same time. This wouldn't be a problem, as I could just tape one/watch the other... but I have a late Wednesday class, so I can only tape one and watch maybe 5 minutes of the other.

... But as I already picked Lost, it's more a problem for Hawaii.

dusang

dusang

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2004 @ 12:42 PM

On the down side: no real time reading/posting.

No worries, that's not allowed on TWoP anyways. You won't miss anything!

Zumanity

Zumanity

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2004 @ 5:39 PM

For me, it's not Smallville, but rather American "Celebration of Mediocrity" Idol, which is a scary ratings juggernaut. And also? It's on ABC and that is never ever a good thing (Sports Night, Miracles, Veritas: The Quest [Heh, just seeing if you were paying attention...])

Unusual Suspect

Unusual Suspect

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2004 @ 6:42 PM

ABC: Always Be Cancelling, as a recapper put it.

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2004 @ 5:54 AM

Hey,Zumanity! Those last two series were okay until The Practice reruns and Michael Jacksonmania swept the country! :)

Unico24

Unico24

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 3, 2004 @ 9:48 PM

That's Why I have two VCRs and If I can't tape it or watch it, then I download it. I just watched a few episodes of AI last season so I don't think I will be watching AI at all this year well except the auditions of where people make asses of themselves.

Frank James

Frank James

Posted Sep 4, 2004 @ 12:37 PM

I want to like this show, and I want it to succeed. BUT...if it goes up against "Smallville", well, the Mopey Teenager of Steel gets my vote every time.

xinfinity

xinfinity

Posted Sep 4, 2004 @ 3:03 PM

I haven't watched my tape of the premiere of Hawaii yet to know if that is likely to last, but, it sounds like Hawaii, American Idol, and Smallville are all competitors for the same target audience as Lost. It's lousy scheduling.

I've been wondering for decades why networks don't try to schedule their shows in timeslots where they WON"T be up against other shows with the same target audience. The show would get better ratings, no?

GeorgeAntonio

GeorgeAntonio

Posted Sep 4, 2004 @ 5:33 PM

Guys don't worry about American Idol.
FOX appearantly relocate the half-hour results show to 9:30 pm.

Edited by GeorgeAntonio, Sep 5, 2004 @ 4:52 PM.

potatotree

potatotree

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 5, 2004 @ 4:56 PM

Well, here's when my local crappy small town cable company comes in handy. You see, I live in New Mexico, but I get Los Angeles' WB. And there's an hour time difference. So, I get to watch "Lost" at 8, and then "Smallville" at 9. WOOT!

Mugsy

Mugsy

Posted Sep 5, 2004 @ 5:44 PM

Or, those with satellite dishes can just pick which time zone to watch from. When two shows you like are on at the same time, watch one from Eastern and the other from Central. Best option if you can't afford TiVO.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2004 @ 8:55 PM

*l* In my area theWB airs on 22 hour delay on my UPN channel, which means Smallville airs Thursdays @ 6pm. I like the arrangement, cause Gilmore Girls is on Weds. @ 6 instead of up against a dozen Tuesday shows. Plus it's way more convenient than a few years ago when UPN was on my PAX channel and the regular time for me to catch Star Trek: Voyager was Wednesdays at midnight.

Gwynevere1

Gwynevere1

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2004 @ 11:54 PM

Can I just have a check on the scheduling? Is this correct?

9/22 - Pilot, Part I
9/29 - Pilot, Part II
10/6 - "Tabula Rasa"
10/13 - "White Rabbit" - Jack-centric
10/20 - "House of the Rising Sun" - Korean-couple-centric
10/27 - "The Moth" - Charlie-centric

mobiusklein

mobiusklein

Stalker

Posted Sep 12, 2004 @ 1:27 AM

Yes, it is bad scheduling on all the network's part.

Tsk, tsk. Korea is Land of the morning calm. Japan is land of the rising sun. Grrr. (sorry, I'm a nitpicker that frowns when a character bites into a peach that sounds crunchy like an apple)

I've been watching SV for the past several seasons but have decided to watch Lost in real time while taping SV unless the SV tapes show a show really worth watching in real time over Lost.

areacode212

areacode212

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2004 @ 9:49 AM

A part of me is hoping that Lost crushes SV like a grape, or Lana's parents. I'm not all that worried, yet. Quite a few non-TWoP people I know are excited about this show, and Hawaii doesn't seem like it'll last very long.

Edited by areacode212, Sep 12, 2004 @ 10:14 AM.

Sincerity

Sincerity

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 12, 2004 @ 9:57 PM

Tsk, tsk. Korea is Land of the morning calm. Japan is land of the rising sun.

Hee. My thoughts, too. I frown a lot when they lump all Asian countries together, although that may not be what they're doing...Maybe "House of the Rising Sun" sounded cooler than "House of the Morning Calm" or "Land of the Morning Calm". I'm very glad that the characters are actually speaking Korean (as far as I can tell), as opposed to just throwing in some random gibberish that sounds like Korean. Also, I'm glad they're Korean, period. Seeing Korean people on TV makes me really happy.

I have no problems with the scheduling, as there is nothing up against it that I want to watch, unless American Idol is on...In which case, I'll have a problem. I need to get a new VCR. StephenTrendy's VCR will let you tape on one channel while you watch another. Mine won't because it's 531780531 years old.

shrams

shrams

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2004 @ 12:41 PM

I just read in the online TV Guide "Ask Matt" column that ABC is going to air the 2-hour Lost pilot on Saturday, 10/2. It didn't say what time, but I'm sure it will be advertised before then. That's going to be after the second half of the pilot has aired in its regular timeslot, but before the next episode. I guess that's so that people who miss the pilot and decide after the fact that they should have watched it, will have a chance to see it. It seems like a good strategy to increase the audience quickly.

So if you really do enjoy the show once it airs and think other people should watch it, talk it up at work or school or wherever, and let people know they can still get in on the beginning.

hickorylane

hickorylane

Posted Sep 16, 2004 @ 12:25 AM

We can only all hope that it swamps "Smallville", which is no where near as good. Please oh please oh please oh please.

kieyra

kieyra

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2004 @ 10:55 AM

Count me as another who is almost vindictively happy to shelve/VCR Smallville in favor of giving Lost a try. Buh-bye.

Dazed

Dazed

Posted Sep 16, 2004 @ 1:50 PM

I'm looking forward to this show, for the main reason it's a JJ. Abrams show, and I love Alias, so I may love this as well. In regards to shows that air the same time, I had looked forward to "Hawaii", but I've seen it and it's all sorts of "meh". And for Smallville, I only started watching last season because I was waiting for "Angel" to come on, and I kinda got into it, though it's very "meh" as well. Eitherwho, I've got Tivo so life is good.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2004 @ 9:55 PM

I've really gotta commend ABC for how much Lost promotion they've been doing on their channel and during every break of Emmy's I feel like I've seen an ad. ABC is bad at advertising imo, and I don't watch much of the channel, but everytime I have, I see an ad for the Lost Premiere. I mean, they advertise it in the morning during "The View".

Kris_AB

Kris_AB

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2004 @ 4:26 PM

I'm happy about the Saturday re-airing of the 2-hour pilot in October. I won't have my DVR (basically TiVo, though I don't think TiVo's available anywhere in Canada) by this Wednesday and I can't be bothered to tape any more shows, so I might just TiVo half the series and have a nice marathon during the Xmas break. If I can hold off that long.

silverwings

silverwings

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 22, 2004 @ 8:12 PM

Does anyone else think 8:00 p.m. is too early for this show? I almost forgot to watch because I normally don't start watching TV until 9:00 p.m.