**SPOILERS** and Spoiler Speculation: You're Gonna Die, Brotha.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

8766 replies to this topic

Aatrek

Aatrek

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2004 @ 11:04 PM

Here's a full plot summary of the pilot, which will be aired as episodes one and two. Copied from the Old Lost Thread. Here's the cast.

-----

Jack wakes up in the middle of the jungle (he blacked out during the plane crash) to see a dog next to him (later, we find that this is Walt's dog). He finds his way to the crash site, where dozends of dazed (and some wounded) survivors are milling about the wreckage. He recruits Hurley to help him get the very pregnant Claire away from the wreckage, and Locke to help him move another wounded man. A survivor wanders too close the still-running, beached jet engine, and is sucked inside, causing a massive (and final) explosion. Claire falls on her stomach, and her baby is silent until over 24 hours later.

Later, Jack digs through some recovered luggage to find a sewing kit, and gets Kate to help help stitch up a laceration on his upper back. They bond, becoming the focus pair of the episode. That evening, everyone is startled by some loud rumbling and tree-shaking coming from the edge of the jungle.

The next morning, Jack, Kate and Charlie set out to find the cockpit of the plane, hoping there is a viable transciever they can use to send a broadcast signal. They climb inside the steeply-angled nose of the plane, and they startlingly wake the unconscious pilot (Greg Grunberg). After helping them find the transciever, there's another loud growl from outside the cockpit. While Charlie secretly recovers the bag of cocaine he left in the airplane's bathroom, the pilot looks out through the broken cockpit window - and is pulled out and fatally mangled, splattering blood everywhere. (Had this been Jurassic Park, a Tyrannasaurus would have been the monster, but we don't actually see the culprit.)

Charlie, Kate, and Jack freak, and escape the plane nose with the transciever. After a bit of "who's not going to make it?!" we find that all three survived, but no one saw the monster.

Meanwhile, Walt is out looking for his lost dog (from the beginning of the episode), and he and his father Michael find a pair of handcuffs. Later, back at camp, Walt and Locke bond over a recovered board game, and Sayid and Sawyer get into a fight (Sawyer calls Sayid a terrorist and blames him for the crash).

Later, Sayid repairs the slightly broken transciever. Once it's fixed, Sayid, Charlie, Kate, Jack, Boone, Shannon, and Sawyer head out to find higher ground to broadcast. As they move through the forest, a rumble rushes toward them. Everyone runs but Sawyer, who whips out a gun and starts shooting at the sound, stopping it. Sawyer says he got the gun off of the body of a US Marshall, and everyone in the group soon believes that he was the prisoner held in handcuffs. Through flashback, we find that the real criminal is... Kate, who was being extradited to the US (from Australia, where the plane took off from). As the rapid descent begins, a suitcase falls and knocks the Marshall unconcious - Kate uses that time to undo her handcuffs so she can grab an oxygen mask.

As this happens, Jack and Hurley are trying to save a man with a piece of shrapnel in his gut. As they work the man wakes up and says, "Where is she?!" - it's the US Marshall.

Oh, that rumble that Sawyer shot? It was a POLAR BEAR.

Finally, they come to an area where they're able to broadcast, but their signal is being overpowered by an existing transmission. Translated from French, the message says (paraphrase): "Please, help - I'm all alone. They're all dead now. It killed them all. I'm alone now." Following the message, an automated voice says: "Iteration 17294532" - and the message repeats, followed by "Iteration 17294533." It's a looped distress call, and Sayid calculates that the message has been repeating over and over again... for sixteen years.

Edited by Aatrek, Aug 30, 2004 @ 12:09 AM.

Sarcasmo

Sarcasmo

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 30, 2004 @ 12:13 PM

I've gotta say, after seeing the pilot (I love Bittorrent!) I'm pretty excited.

I rather like the way things unfolded, especially the reveal of the identity of the criminal.

But, where is this going? Island of Dr. Moreau? Jurassic Park? Most Dangerous Game?

I'd be willing to bet that they encounter other castaways along the way somewhere, either the Frenchwoman or something similar...

The thing I'm having a problem with is scale. At no point during the pilot did we get any idea how big this island is or what's on it. I'd have killed for a nice helicopter tracking shot establishing some sort of scale on the island.

Bonus points for the Agent Sean cameo, BTW.

Oh, and hey, for some interesting food for though, check this out:

http://www.aintitcoo...ay.cgi?id=18187

It's got some pretty tasty tidbits about future plot threads. Must dig out my copy of The Stand now.

Arena

Arena

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2004 @ 6:19 PM

I've also seen the pilot. After watching it myself I promptly got my family and friends to watch it. I don't know how it got to BT but I do know that it's not going to hurt the show any. I am more interested in watching the show now and I've got a Smallville fan looking forward to the next episode, who wasn't even considering watching it before.

I am really hoping that they don't have other castaways that weren't on the plane. It's a bit too Gilligan's Island.

The Frenchwoman is most likely dead by now. If she could have survived this long alone on an island with a creature that kills for fun (it didn't eat the pilot) then that creature really isn't that bad.

DrCher

DrCher

Posted Aug 30, 2004 @ 8:36 PM

My thoughts: The 'It' that the taped Frenchwoman referred to is Locke, Terry O'Quinn's character. In the AICN interview he's described as a Randall Flagg-like character. It's been ages since I've read The Stand but IIRC he's an imp of the devil or something. 48 surviors... JJ loves the number 47. 47 plane surviors + 1 Imp on the island = 48. Just something to think about. The real danger on the island isn't the creatures that lurk in the rain forrest, it's the darkness inside each character when they lose all common sense. Think Lord of the Flies. Please don't let Sawyer end up like Piggy.

Edited by DrCher, Aug 30, 2004 @ 8:37 PM.

Sarcasmo

Sarcasmo

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 31, 2004 @ 7:36 AM

Arena said:

I don't know how it got to BT

Pilots are passed around the entertainment industry like party favors. BT just makes it really easy to distribute them without resorting to true P2P.

Last year I caught several pilots of the Internet months before they aired stateside, most memorably Karen Sisco (le sigh...) and the bad/funny pilot of Fearless, which wasn't too bad but suffered due to the choice of no less than Rachel Leigh Cook as the main badass.

DrCher:

47 plane surviors + 1 Imp on the island = 48

GAH! After years of Alias fanboyhood, I can't believe I missed that! Of course, 48 could include the pilot... Hmm.

Cannibal

Cannibal

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2004 @ 5:44 PM

Spoilerfix,

Episode 1.03 - White Rabbit [Airing October 13]: There will be a flashback in the episode featuring Jack at 12 years old. Those scenes will show him on a playground in an altercation with a bully, who ultimately beats him up, and later learns a life lesson from his father.

I guess flashbacks are going to be common (which is a good thing since island life alone would be pretty boring).

Arena

Arena

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2004 @ 7:59 PM

I loved the flashbacks in the pilot. It allowed for some variety while showing a side of the characters that we would have gotten otherwise. I'm not sure I want flashbacks of their childhood with "life lessons" to be learned. It could be good though.

Schroeder

Schroeder

Stalker

Posted Sep 4, 2004 @ 9:00 PM

Fairly Perceptive Boyfriend finally sat down and watched the pilot tape that I'd copied for him, and he loved it.
The one thing he said when he was done was, "That thing in the jungle damn sure better not be something stupid, like giant lizards, or bees, or giant lizards with bees in their mouths so they shoot bees at you. Or anything else stupid like that."
And I agree, as long as they keep it grounded in reality, I'm in. It's when they start trotting in Renaldi prophesies of an island that's the key to the end of the world with its gateway to hell that I tune out. So, I guess, that's what... two, maybe two and a half years?

He showed it to his grandmother, grandfather and mother and they loved it. My little brother is up next, so I'm liking that the show is getting some buzz, because I'll so make time out of school for this show.

DrCher

DrCher

Posted Sep 4, 2004 @ 11:44 PM

Little tidbit about episode #4.

Looks like we'll have a flashback to Sun and Jin's household.

Schroeder

Schroeder

Stalker

Posted Sep 5, 2004 @ 12:18 AM

Yes, but are they brother/sister like Boone and Shannon or are they husband and wife? I'm hoping husband/wife, because I thought that's what Boone and Shannon was for the first hour until otherwise.
Actually, I was wondering how a guy like Boone managed to marry a bitch like Shannon until I realized they were siblings and she was in shock and denial about the crash and not just a total rich bitch on vacation.

Arena

Arena

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2004 @ 1:52 AM

I thought Sun and Jin were married based on the way he was acting. Now that I've thought about it I realize that there doesn't really even need to be a connection between them from before the crash. Everyone must be in shock and denial at this point and are going to be acting strange.

Gwynevere1

Gwynevere1

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2004 @ 12:29 PM

Everything I've read says husband and wife.

Schroeder

Schroeder

Stalker

Posted Sep 5, 2004 @ 1:59 PM

It doesn't translate very well to the screen if they don't say it out loud.
But as he snaps at her to button the top botton of her sweater, I'd say they're married, too.

DrCher

DrCher

Posted Sep 5, 2004 @ 2:21 PM

Anyone know Korean?

Arena

Arena

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2004 @ 2:28 PM

I'm hoping someone will translate for us here. Dispite wanting to know what they are saying I think it's a good move not giving us subtitles.

Avid Eyes

Avid Eyes

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 5, 2004 @ 2:40 PM

I'm still geeked about the polar bear. It obviously must have something to do with whoever left the old distress message, but it sets up so many possibilities for really ingenious stories. Fingers crossed: They won't let us down.

Cannibal

Cannibal

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2004 @ 4:23 PM

I'm not sure I want flashbacks of their childhood with "life lessons" to be learned.

Unless ABC/Touchstone has plans for Lost to go to ABC Family, I can't see the life lesson being that heavy handed (I hope...).

Edited by Cannibal, Sep 5, 2004 @ 4:23 PM.

Sarcasmo

Sarcasmo

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 7, 2004 @ 3:39 PM

More tantalizing hints from The Fury himself:

SciFi Wire story

At least he confirmed one thing that makes me happy: No Harlem Globetrotters.

DrCher

DrCher

Posted Sep 8, 2004 @ 11:34 AM

"There will be burgeoning romances that will be handled in a credible fashion and triangles, and not to get soap opera-y, but things are going to happen."

Is the whole island going to fight over Kate? I was hoping that this show wouldn't be too ship-y. Guess I was wrong.

Sincerity

Sincerity

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2004 @ 2:29 PM

I'm hoping someone will translate for us here. Dispite wanting to know what they are saying I think it's a good move not giving us subtitles.

I'm trying to get my mom to translate for me. If she'll actually sit down and let me show her just those parts, then I'll post it here if you'd like.

nyago

nyago

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 11, 2004 @ 7:45 PM

In the first scene with Sun and Jin at night by the fire:
Jin: You have to follow me wherever I go, ok? The other people don't matter, we have to stick together.

The scene where it's raining.
Jin: There isn't any space here! Go over there! There's more space over there!

When that guy is looking for his son.
Sun: I'm sorry, but I don't speak english...I mean, I can't speak english.
Jin: Your shirt is unbuttoned. Fix it....Hurry!

When Kate is at the beach.
Sun: Excuse me! Everything is ready...they're looking for you.

When Jorge Garcia is washing some clothing at the beach.
Jin: Try this! It's good for you! If you eat some, it will give you strength. It's ok to eat. Try it! There's enough for everyone.

Jin trying to get Emilie de Ravin to eat.
Jin: Try some! It will be good for you and the baby. Yes..this one. Now. Doesn't it taste good? Try another one.
Are you alright? (And when Emilie tries to get him to touch her stomach)
No..I don't want to. Stop! Please let go of my hand!

I think those are the only scenes where they talk. On ABC where they had clips of the stars talking about the show and Yunjin Kim said that Sun can speak english. Maybe Jin won't let her?
I don't think Daniel Dae Kim speaks Korean often. His pronounciation isn't the best.

Edited by nyago, Sep 11, 2004 @ 7:48 PM.

DrCher

DrCher

Posted Sep 11, 2004 @ 8:40 PM

Thanks, nyago!

DarkEmerald

DarkEmerald

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2004 @ 9:53 PM

Wow, thanks nyago! I hope you'll stick around here and share your knowledge of Korean with us as the show progresses (assuming it does...). In the sadly-brief days of unsubtitled Mandarin on "Firefly," a good part of the fun was coming online to get a translation from the many knowledgeable fans.

Interesting mystery implied in the "don't" vs "can't" speak English. This show is getting more intriguing the more I hear about it.

Edited by DarkEmerald, Sep 11, 2004 @ 9:54 PM.

Arena

Arena

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 12, 2004 @ 12:37 AM

That is awesome nyago. With you, and possibly Sincerity's mom, we won't have to make up our own dialogue. Oh, we still will but now we don't have to.

AlejandraDD

AlejandraDD

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2004 @ 11:35 AM

In the sadly-brief days of unsubtitled Mandarin on "Firefly," a good part of the fun was coming online to get a translation from the many knowledgeable fans.

From the fans? My fun came from Shack's translations. Those were just priceless.

Sincerity

Sincerity

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 12, 2004 @ 9:51 PM

Interesting mystery implied in the "don't" vs "can't" speak English. This show is getting more intriguing the more I hear about it.

That was my immediate thought. I know a little bit of Korean (btw, thanks for translating all of it, nyago! You confirmed whether or not I picked up on what I thought I picked up on, and I didn't have to talk to my mom!), and I thought that's what the line was, but I wasn't sure. If Sun really can speak English, that will be a really nice addition to the show...Nice dramatic reveal, if you will.

Oh, and word on Daniel Dae Kim's pronunciation. It sounds almost as bad as when I try to speak Korean. ;)

keg411

keg411

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2004 @ 11:34 PM

To chime in, I've also seen the pilot, and this is the show I'm most inticipating this year. TThe flashbacks were used extremely well and the acting is very very solid all around. Some of the plane crash stuff is pretty brutal and the whole Jurassic Park-esque monster stuff totally creeps me out. And I love the way that it's really easy to attach to the characters even if you know very very little about them -- in the first moments of the pilot, I was instantly interested in what was going on with Matthew Fox's character, and honestly? This is one of the best TV pilots I've seen in a very long time (as much as I loved last year's pilot for "The O.C.", this was far superior).

I saw it a couple of months ago, so all the details aren't really fresh, but did anyone else feel that this really isn't an 8pm show? I know that whole "family hour" thing is pretty much dead, but the show itself feels a little mature and a little violent to appeal to kids. And you figure the kids who like this type of show would probably be more likely to watch "Smallville", which is on at the same time.

Oh, and did anyone else find it weird to see Harold Perrineau without the dreds? I was so used to the "Oz" look that I didn't even realize it was him at first.

BeachDucky

BeachDucky

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 16, 2004 @ 2:22 PM

I heard if the show gets canceled in the last episode before that happens, they will reveal that the island is in some mysterious place near Antarctica. Kind of a Bermuda triangle thing so that the island never froze like the surrounding areas. I also heard there is a polar bear on the island because a ship or plane carrying zoo/circus animals crashed there a while ago. Although I don't know how reliable that rumor is.

Edited by BeachDucky, Sep 16, 2004 @ 2:24 PM.

Sentinal96825

Sentinal96825

Posted Sep 21, 2004 @ 1:42 PM

I talked to the parking attendant for the "Lost" extras, they were using the same parking lot I use, and he was saying that they have been filming in downtown Honolulu for "flashback" scenes, including supposedly a scene set in Louisiana. This is the second time in the past two weeks they were in downtown, one time it was in a church. So I am guessing there will be some flashback regarding a church, maybe a wedding.

Edited by Sentinal96825, Sep 21, 2004 @ 1:43 PM.

EponineDC

EponineDC

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 1:06 AM

Yunjin Kim said that Sun can speak english.

Seriously? Yunjin Kim is actually an actress from Korea, right? So the person who speaks Korean fluently in RL is the one who speaks English, while Daniel Dae Kim who is fluent in English, is playing the character who only speaks Korean. That cracks me up for some reason.