Australia's Next Top Model

• Please log in to reply

5748 replies to this topic

milkyaqua

milkyaqua

Stalker

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 12:57 PM

Good for Monty!

Hopefully, Amanda pops up today as well.

jammerakwaii

jammerakwaii

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

I must say that Montana probably is the most successful AusNTM next to Alice B. If she can book shows like Dior, Pucci, Etro and Bottega Venetta in her first season, things are looking very bright in the future seasons as well. She can book big designers easily in NY or even in London.

Montana was at Lanvin!! OMG!!!! http://imageshack.us...2030305753.png/

Edited by jammerakwaii, Mar 2, 2012 @ 3:58 PM.

Silmarien

Silmarien

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 7:47 PM

OMG She is amazing! Awesome work :D :D :D

milkyaqua

milkyaqua

Stalker

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 10:46 PM

Montana walking at Dior; she appears at 5:58

According to the Herald Sun, she's back in Melbourne on Thursday for the L'oreal Melbourne Fashion Festival.

fashionkills

fashionkills

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 1:15 AM

Just saw Montana at Christian Dior F/W 12.13 Paris.

She is doing very well and I am very glad that I booked her early. She is definitely the most successful so far next to Alice, and has huge potential. I would have liked to have seen her debut in NY, because I think the hype would have been bigger leading into Europe for her, or to be on an exclusive of some kind, but she's doing very well.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 6:16 AM

And the Montana juggernaut rolls in - I just read she was in Cacharel. Wow.

Edited by katisha66, Mar 4, 2012 @ 6:19 AM.

jammerakwaii

jammerakwaii

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

"Yeah she was and also at Andrew GN. Montana at Cacharel http://rtvgames.com/...=37090&page=341, Andrew GN http://imageshack.us...0304143640.png/, http://imageshack.us...0304144845.png/, http://imageshack.us...0304150130.png/

ZiegMan

ZiegMan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 5:44 PM

Montana @ Kenzo

Just incredible. :)

jammerakwaii

jammerakwaii

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 7:39 AM

Just saw Monty at Sacai.

milkyaqua

milkyaqua

Stalker

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

Just saw Monty at Sacai.

Montana at Sacai F/W '12 Paris FW

Montana at Vanessa Bruno F/W '12 Paris FW (closed)

Montana is also on IMG's London "Development" board.

Simone for Bras N Things' "Killer Curves" line

Izzy is now a blonde

Shannon Scoop port update

Edited by milkyaqua, Mar 5, 2012 @ 7:44 PM.

Silmarien

Silmarien

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 5:41 AM

Oh yeah.

Just walking Chanel. WERK!

http://media.nowfash...chanel-4352.jpg

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 5:57 AM

I wasn't watching ANTM when Alice won - was her initial season as good as Montana's has been, or better?

quangtran

quangtran

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 8:05 AM

Alice's first season.
New York:Catherine Holstein, ThreeasFour, Rachel Comey, Charlotte Ronson, Lyell, Proenza Schouler, Koi Swannagate, Tory Burch, Shipley&Halmos, Marchesa, Marc Jaobs, Rad Hourani, Willow
London:Christopher Kane, Giles Deacon, Luella Bartley
Milan:Moschino Cheap&Chic, D&G, Jil Sander, 6267, Polini, Daks, Dolce and Gabbana
Paris:Maison Martin Margiela, Ann Demeulemeester, Dries Van Noten, Anne Valerie Hash, Celine, Sofia Kokosalaki, Rue de Mail, Alexander McQueen, Jean-Charles de Castelbajac, Louis Vuitton, Lanvin

Amanda's first season.
New York:Phillip Lim, Chado Ralph Rucci, L'wren Scott, Timo Weiland, Wes Gordon, Woolrich John Rich & Bros

Montana's first season
Milan:Aquilano.Rimondi, Bottega Veneta, Emilio Pucci, Etro, Jo No Fui
Paris:Andrew GN, Carven, Cacharel, Chanel, Christian Dior, Felipe Oliveira Baptista, Kenzo, Lanvin, Mugler, Sacai, Vanessa Bruno

- Both Alice and Monty have around at least five or six big name brands on their list, and taking into account that Monty skipped New York and London (my guess is because NEXT made the unwise decisions not to sign her) then their debut seasons are pretty close.
- Even though Amanda's future seasons expanded to the other fashion capitals, she yet to crack Milan unlike Monty and Alice.

jammerakwaii

jammerakwaii

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 11:32 AM

"Regarding Montana and NEXT: That's not true at all. Here is an article I got from TFS.

Cox plate

"Everyone you've worked with said you were ready to take on the fashion world" Australia's Next Top Model host Sarah O'Hare told Montana Cox on live television last October, after announcing the 18 year-old Melburnite as the winner of the 2011 series. Just five months later, it seems O'Hare and co may have had a point. Over the past fortnight Cox has scored some of most coveted runway jobs in the business, just adding top Paris shows Lanvin, Christian Dior, Kenzo, Mugler, Cacharel, Andrew Gn and Vanessa Bruno to a Fall/Winter 2012/2013 showlist that already included Italian luxury names Bottega Veneta, Pucci and Etro. Cox leaves Paris today after adding just one more name to that list. It's a big one. Then it's straight to Charles de Gaulle airport for a flight to Melbourne, to star in Thursday night's David Jones parade which will open the L'Orťal Melbourne Fashion Festival (her only LMFF gig). Stand by to see if Cox scores an equally coveted spot on any of the Top 10 Newcomer lists that are published by various outlets at the end of the season. But just how unusual is her 'overnight success' against the broader backdrop of Tyra Banks' Top Model franchise, which was launched in the US in 2003 and is now produced independently in some 50 countries? And with Cox as its latest star, just how successful is the Australian version of the show?

In 2009, Sydney model agent Priscilla Leighton Clark declared Alice Burdeu "the most successful winner from any Top Model series".

Big claim - and at the time, of course, Leighton Clark's Priscillas agency was affiliated with the series.

In 2007, Burdeu won Cycle 3 of the Australian series. And she did indeed walk straight into an international high fashion career, walking for D&G, among many others, in her first show season in February and March 2008. Prompting models.com to include her in its Top 10 Newcomers list for Fall/Winter 2008/2009.

Burdeu went on to book advertising campaigns for D&G, Blumarine Resort and Sonia Rykiel, before taking a break to study psychology at Melbourne University. Abbey Lee Kershaw, meanwhile, who also made models.com's Top 10 Newcomers of Fall/Winter 2008/2009, has since gone on to become models.com's world number five ranked high fashion model. Kershaw emerged from another Australian modelling competition: the Girlfriend Model Search, a straight model scouting competition, as distinct from a reality television show.

There is a very big difference, it seems.

Prior to Burdeu, as far as we can ascertain, no other Top Model winner in any other market had achieved a similar level of international success.

Gemma Sanderson, the winner of the first Australian series, is based in London, where she is repped by the Storm agency and has worked consistently as a commercial model, most recently as a face of online retailer ASOS. But that is quite different from booking runway shows and campaigns with high profile luxury brands and editorial in leading magazines.

Patricia van der Vliet was placed fourth in Cycle 4 of Holland's Next Top Model in 2008 and one year later made models.com's Top 10 Newcomers of Spring/Summer 2010. Van der Vliet's success has since far eclipsed that of Burdeu: she has shot campaigns for Balenciaga and Burberry, among many others, and is on high rotation on the world's top fashion runways. Same goes for Finland's Suvi Koponen, who won a Finnish reality show called Mallikoulo in 2005 that was similar in format to the Top Model series, although not officially connected to same.

But not only does Australia's Next Top Model appear to have been the first Top Model series to have actually produced a 'top model', it may well be the only show in the entire franchise to have produced three thus far.

Virtually straight off the winner's block of ANTM Cycle 6 in 2010, Amanda Ware scored 17 shows in her first international show season, Spring/Summer 2011, and is still going strong this season.

And of course, had Cassi van den Dungen in fact won Cycle 5 of the Australian competition in 2009, who knows, Sarah Murdoch may have had a top model trifecta on her hands after her three year tenure as the local show's host and executive producer.

Although quite clearly the 2009 AusNTM finalist with the best international potential, van den Dungen lost to Tahnee Atkinson - an absolutely beautiful girl whose lack of an international career post-ANTM, nevertheless, comes as absolutely no surprise to anyone in the fashion industry. Optioned at one point as a Balenciaga Paris exclusive, van den Dungen's Paris hopes were dashed that season. She is currently taking a break from modelling after the birth of her first child.

Quite ironically perhaps, the original American version of the show, which is produced by and stars Banks, has fared poorly in terms of launching successful modelling careers.

Frockwriter has little doubt that a major part of the problem with this concept is the input of the relevant television executives, keen to 'dumb it down' for the 'punters'.

"That whole tv show [Top Model] is not produced for scouting, itís produced for entertainment" said one senior Australian modelling source, who did not want to be identified. "I donít think that show gives the model any credibility whatsoever and I think one of the reasons why those [Australian] girls have done well internationally is not thanks to that tv show. If casting directors knew that they were from the show, they may not have even touched them. That's my theory anyway".

Leaving aside the fact that Myf Shepherd was snubbed by Australia's Next Top Model producers in 2008, before going to an absolute blockbuster first international show season, in which she walked for almost every major fashion name, some feel the quality of the Australian edition of the show has been improving year-on-year, particularly since Murdoch's arrival.

"I think the Australian one is really clever because it's the perfect combination of entertainment and actually good scouting" said the same anonymous modelling source [who is not connected to the show]. "Itís really good quality I think. Those girls are really good. And I couldnít say the same for some of the other countries Iíve watched: New Zealand, Germany, the US".

"I think the last few years theyíve definitely taken a different tack" said Kathy Ward, a director of Sydney's Chic Management which organises the longstanding Girlfriend Model Search, took over Priscillas' role as the Australia's Next Top Model local agency affiliate in 2011 and now represents Montana Cox in Australia.

Contracts with Chic Management and its New York affiliate Next were part of Cox's prizes. Thanks to a family connection with the world's biggest modelling agency, IMG, however, and what appears to have been a loophole in the ANTM contest conditions, Cox was able to knock back the Next offer to sign worldwide (ie outside Australia) with IMG. According to Ward, this loophole will be firmly closed for the 2012 competition.

"I think it's become more of a true modelling competition" added Ward of ANTM. "When it first started, yes I think there there was a bit of, 'Well she makes good television, letís include her'. Now I think theyíre seeing it through different eyes and the potential to grow it even further by finding true international supermodels".
by Patty Huntington at frockwriter.com (great freelance journalist on fashion)

cr glossypages at TFS

milkyaqua

milkyaqua

Stalker

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 8:26 PM

Thanks for the article jammerakwaii. Interesting bit about IMG and the loophole; not surprised that Chic/AusNTM would close that up.

Even though Monty's had a banner season, it's still to be seen just what IMG does for her beyond runway. IMG doesn't have the best rep when it comes to newcomers and managing them. Most of their money girls are established before they even sign with IMG. I'll be interested to see if she can book an international campaign or get booked for editorial work in top-tier mags.

Monty's IMG NY polas. She's now on all four IMG boards.

Monty walking at Chanel; she appears at 5:07.

From Amanda's twitter:

@_ChristianeL nope unfortunately. I'd love to come home and do LMFF but I need to stay in Paris and try and get some work :)
10 hours ago

From Caroline's fb:

going to Germany for a sunglasses campaign
Yesterday at 10:54am

Edited by milkyaqua, Mar 6, 2012 @ 8:28 PM.

fashionkills

fashionkills

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 11:42 PM

I wasn't watching ANTM when Alice won - was her initial season as good as Montana's has been, or better?

Alice's debut was completely different. Because she's so tall and has that hair, she was just so willowy and ethereal in her beauty, that you know that she was a different creature from any that you had ever seen. Then when you saw her walk, you knew she was a pro, because she could walk circles around just about anyone out there. Then, it seems, all of a sudden, she was heavily featured at Proenza, front page everywhere, and then was heavily featured at Marc Jacobs.

After adding London very late to her schedule, she didn't have the time to really work many castings in Milan (for a new girl, this is important) and got very lucky with Dolce & Gabanna. Paris was a different story. LV was a forgone conclusion, She matched McQueen's dramatic collection perfectly, and then cornered the Belgian-clique.

It was a no-brainer to name her a Top 10 Newcomer. I would have wished for her stay to be more long-lasting, but with the weight-gain, and her desires to settle down and study, it would have been difficult to keep up the schedule.

Montana is a lot more typical. Her face is a lot more versatile, she's not too tall, and remarkably thin. She fits in with a lot of collections this year, and comes off as completely fresh, but in the mould of what one would consider a model, whereas Alice was always that wonderful woman. I haven't kept a thorough check on showlists for new girls, but I think she's a contender to a late Top 10er.

Fabricationary

Fabricationary

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 10:45 AM

I think one factor that has limited Amanda but helped Montana so far is that, while both girls have well-proportioned bodies for fashion, Amanda's facial features are small and don't exude sensuality, but Montana's facial features are larger and do tend to exude sensuality/natural sex appeal.

milkyaqua

milkyaqua

Stalker

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 5:59 PM

Speaking of Alice...

Alice for Maripossa Jewellery 'El Homenaje' collection 2012 lookbook by Zac Steinic Short-film 'An Ode to the Muse' shot for label Ellison by Tooth & Claw for LMFF

Amanda at Collette Dinnigan F/W '12 Paris FW

Amanda for Myer: 01 02

Comment from Monty's Instagram:

bazaaraustralia Met with your fabulous IMG agent at the Louis Vuitton do in Paris tonight- we are both very excited about your future and looking forward to working together soon. Edwina

Tahnee has rebooked Peter Alexander and work for Lynx

Joanna is signed with Vivien's in Sydney.

Edited by milkyaqua, Mar 8, 2012 @ 8:59 PM.

fashionkills

fashionkills

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 12:36 AM

I think one factor that has limited Amanda but helped Montana so far is that, while both girls have well-proportioned bodies for fashion, Amanda's facial features are small and don't exude sensuality, but Montana's facial features are larger and do tend to exude sensuality/natural sex appeal.

True, but Amanda also has a fitter body and a much more commercial-leaning appeal than Montana that will severely limit her HF opportunities.

milkyaqua

milkyaqua

Stalker

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 2:20 PM

David Jones 2012 LMFF Launch: Alice Montana

Simone for Review Simone in Autumn Racing spread

Edited by milkyaqua, Mar 8, 2012 @ 7:09 PM.

milkyaqua

milkyaqua

Stalker

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 2:36 PM

Alice at L'Oreal Melbourne Fashion Festival: David Jones / Alex Perry / Famous For Fashion Series - The High Street Edition / L'Oreal Paris Runway 3 (Frankie Magazine)

Caroline for Harmount and Blaine F/W '12 preview

She's also leaving this week for New York for a campaign shoot. New pics

Amanda for Myer

Sophie at LMFF: 01 02

She's signed with PMA in Hamburg, Germany / Matthew Wren pic

Kelsey editorial, Kimberly Forbes MUA / Kelsey was also at the Alex Perry Eyewear Launch

Rachel at LMFF

Izzy pic

Edited by milkyaqua, Mar 13, 2012 @ 12:19 PM.

milkyaqua

milkyaqua

Stalker

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 1:22 PM

Apparently, auditions for C8 have yet to start. The airdate is supposed to coincide with the Summer Olympics.

From Amanda's twitter:

@Mileybox hey! Stayin on in Paris for a little bit but back to Aus for RAFW :D
3 hours ago

Alice at LMFF - Ellery

Sophie at LMFF - Mimco / From her fb

Simone in Cosmo ad

Edited by milkyaqua, Mar 14, 2012 @ 3:05 PM.

milkyaqua

milkyaqua

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 2:38 PM

Alice at LMFF 2012 - L'Oreal Paris Runway 5 (Cosmopolitan)

Sophie at LMFF 2012 - Day 7

Video of Amanda for Marc Bouwer Pre Fall 2012 Mercedes Benz Fashion Week

Edited by milkyaqua, Mar 15, 2012 @ 5:28 PM.

purist

purist

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 5:07 AM

A few more pics of the exquisite Alice at LMFF 2012: Toni Maticevski | Dion Lee | Alex Perry

milkyaqua

milkyaqua

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 1:25 PM

Amanda in paris-lifestyle.fr, "Maille ŗ partir" ("A Stitch in Time") ed, photos by Gilles-Marie Zimmermann

Alice in "Spirit of the Black Dress" video shot by Christian Blanchard for LMFF

Alice for Vero Moda, pics by Jordan Graham

Caroline is with Chic

Simone for by johnny

Kelsey for Modelco Cosmetics

Sophie by Andrew O'Toole

Liz work

Madeline is supposedly signed with Priscilla's and did a shoot for Monster Children Magazine.

Edited by milkyaqua, Mar 20, 2012 @ 8:48 PM.

milkyaqua

milkyaqua

Stalker

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 1:55 PM

Georgie for Spencer/Lacy A/W '12

Edited by milkyaqua, Mar 21, 2012 @ 1:56 PM.

milkyaqua

milkyaqua

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 12:45 PM

Amanda for Sake Fifth Avenue: 01 02 03

Liz for Covet mag, Apr/May '12, High Society ed, photos by Paul Giggle / Alex Perry "Specsavers" / Westfield Chermside Couture challenge

aks

aks

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 1:21 PM

Wow, I hardly recognized Liz in those photos! I thought she looks really cool in that editorial.

milkyaqua

milkyaqua

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 12:16 PM

Alice at LMFF: L'Oreal Paris Runway 7 (Harper's Bazaar) L'Oreal Paris Runway 6 (Madison)

Montana in Peter Alexander's 25th Year Birthday Collection catalog: 01 02 / The Age (The Melbourne Magazine), Mar '12, photos by Jaclyn Adams / David Jones Winter Collection: 01 02

She shot for Vogue Australia yesterday.

Caroline's Dally's vid

From her fb:

Finally back in my apartment after 9 days working! Had the most amazing time in America shooting for franklin and marshall, easily one of the best shoots I have ever done. Then Thursday landed in Milan and had to catch the train straight to another shoot, so happy to finally have a day off to relax!
23 Mar

Lola, "Milk Eyes," photo by Myles Formby

Liz at the David Jones Winter Collection

Amelia is signed with 62 Models in New Zealand

Edited by milkyaqua, Mar 26, 2012 @ 7:05 PM.

milkyaqua

milkyaqua

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 1:17 PM

Lola work:

Full spread for Fashion Journal #112, Feb '12, Girl Interrupted ed, photos by Emily Abay

Photos by Lucia Pang...NSFW

For fashionising.com, The Diva at Home ed, photos by Jason Ierace...NSFW

Edited by milkyaqua, Mar 27, 2012 @ 1:18 PM.