Australia's Next Top Model

• Please log in to reply

5745 replies to this topic

Andrew's Mommy

Andrew's Mommy

Stalker

Posted Aug 5, 2004 @ 11:30 PM

OMG, just when you though you had erased the hosting abomination from your minds and eyes that The Hothouse was, she's back.

They're already in the casting stage. Hands up all TWoPPers who are applying. Nah, I didn't think so. Does this mean that the teens of Oz will have to recharge their phones and get their SMS to the ready?

Apparently the old Search for a Supermodel just wasn't "reality" enough. Reality if you're 18-25, stick thin, and your diet consists of 1/2 a lettuce leaf daily. Stereotyping much?

Edited by Andrew's Mommy, Aug 5, 2004 @ 11:34 PM.

sinclair

sinclair

Posted Aug 6, 2004 @ 12:00 AM

This will never match the original and will just fade into oblivion like Australia's what not to wear.

BJC

BJC

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2004 @ 12:14 AM

Oh no!!! She's going to run one of my favourite shows. No, no, no, no, no.

Cheese Pleese

Cheese Pleese

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2004 @ 1:09 AM

Eh, isn't 25 too old for modelling?

Dawei

Dawei

Stalker

Posted Aug 6, 2004 @ 1:18 AM

Yeah, that age limit seems a bit weird. 18? If you haven't made it by then, you're not gonna. I remember Nicole from the third Search for a Supermodel was like, 21, and she looked OLD.

Man, but what IS Erika (is that her name?) doing there? She's hardly a good ex-model/role-model/Tyra type. Ugh. Go away. I personally LOVED SfaS and the American NTM, so I shall be watching this. Even with the fug that is Erika.

Usual Suspect

Usual Suspect

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 6, 2004 @ 1:49 AM

IMHO I have a feeling the age limit probably has something to do with nudity clauses and such things. Having people who are legally aduts makes it much easier to put together a raunchy photo shoot and force bikini waxes and other such things on to them for pure entertainment value.

Edited by Usual Suspect, Aug 6, 2004 @ 1:50 AM.

Beelzebot

Beelzebot

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 6, 2004 @ 7:43 AM

And who's going to be our Janice? Maggie Tabberer?

trustno1

trustno1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 7, 2004 @ 7:50 AM

Andrew's Mommy and BJC I just wish that she did the right thing at the end of The HotHouse - i.e. jump into the HotHouse swimming pool.

Beelzebot

Beelzebot

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 5, 2004 @ 7:52 AM

They had a preview (I think - I turned on the television halfway through the segment) of this at about 8pm today. And keeping in mind that I didn't watch an episode of The Hothouse... I kind of like Erika. She was acting a lot like Janice. Some girl was apologising for not being able to walk properly because she was wearing shoes in the wrong size, Erika asked her what size she was, and when the girl replied 9 1/2, Erika pulled off her own heels and handed them over. Which, ew, but that's the same crazy shit that Janice would do. However, I can see it becoming grating after awhile. Because, you sir, are no Janice Dickinson.

Anyway, show starts on Jan 4, for anyone caring enough to watch.

ETA: Scratch that, I just saw another preview segment, and she was already getting on my nerves. And all the girls are fugly.

Edited by Beelzebot, Dec 5, 2004 @ 11:05 AM.

Taitn

Taitn

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 6, 2004 @ 8:14 AM

Eh, isn't 25 too old for modelling?

Yes, but the American show has the same restrictions. Realistically the show isn't about finding the next top model, it's an avenue of self promotion for Tyra Banks.

Given I've stuck with ANTM for the past three seasons, I'll give this version a chance. Though, the involvement of Erika Heynatz is a major detraction. I barely paid attention to her and the Hot House and she still managed to bug.

Meanwhile, the official site is up. Pretty basic at this point.

Dawei

Dawei

Stalker

Posted Dec 23, 2004 @ 9:57 AM

They're showing little interview clips with the girls on Fox now. A lot bring the fug, with one being particularly man-jaw-y and heedious. But will any of them be as cunty as YaYa?

I hope I'm not the only one who is going to watch!

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Dec 23, 2004 @ 11:38 PM

A lot bring the fug, with one being particularly man-jaw-y and heedious.

Being fugly doesn't seem to matter much in some forms of modelling, especially catwalk stuff, so long as you have the patented whippet body happening.

GannetGuts

GannetGuts

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 25, 2004 @ 4:16 AM

I dunno, I thought the short haired blonde was sorta pretty. I for one will be watching this, when I can remember too. ESPECIALLY to look for psychos like Ann and scrags like YaYa.

[O/T] Who ended up winning ANTM? Eva? [/OT]

Cheese Pleese

Cheese Pleese

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2005 @ 10:19 PM

Hello Aussie TWoPers and others...hope you had a Merry Christmas and a happy new year.

it's an avenue of self promotion for Tyra Banks

Ah, so self-promotion for Erika...my heart weeps.

Some articles. They say it's bitchier than the American version.

Edited by Cheese Pleese, Jan 3, 2005 @ 10:19 PM.

purist

purist

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2005 @ 11:34 PM

No, Dawei, you most certainly are not - I was the American original's bitch. Especially in Season 1, where I felt as if I was in possession of a delicious secret that no one else in Australia knew about, because I was the only person watching it. Elyse and Adrianne ... ah, such good times. And of course neither the second or third seasons measured up to E/A's snarkalicious goodness.

But Erika Heynatz?? Please. And I doubt the Australian version will have anyone as good as Miss Janice Chick-with-a-Dickinson or Miss Jay the Runway Diva.

Edited by purist, Jan 3, 2005 @ 11:35 PM.

BJC

BJC

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2005 @ 5:38 AM

And I'm here! I'm also an "ANTM" bitch, I flove the show. But what is it going to be like without Miss Jay or Janice?

I had a great time watching the quick recap they did of the first three seasons of the American version. Bought back some great memories. I still love Adrianne.

So far, the Aussie attempt is not too bad. Erika wasn't too annoying, but I thought they should have had at least 1 more panel judge.

I hope we get to see some rehersal/behind the scenes stuff of that George Michael show, that just looked too polish for beginners.

purist

purist

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2005 @ 5:25 PM

So my early favourite is Naomi. She seems a bit more ... wry? than the others. I also like the chick from Albury. Very glad that zany!Asian!girl didn't make the cut. She was annoying.

Speaking of annoying, Erika's attempts at being cool and streetwise like Miss Tyra really started to grate on me by the end of the show. And what was with her way-too-smoky eye make-up during the to-camera narration bits?

Finally, for a show about modelling, they really should learn how to spell Linda Evangelista's name. Every time they put her name up on screen it was Evangalista. Sheesh.

BJC

BJC

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2005 @ 6:11 AM

I don't like any of them and I really didn't like all the swearing. Not necessary. If I wanted to hear that many "f" words, I'll watch an Eddie Murphy movie. Not that I'm against swearing, lord knows I swear enough myself, but it just really annoyed me in this show.

I still don't like any of them. TMI with the bikini waxing.

dogbacon

dogbacon

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 11, 2005 @ 6:31 AM

I was expecting the worst from this show but I think it turned out okay. Plenty of bitching though I agree with BJC about the swearing.

E-mail... Erika Mail.. Euugh. At least she didn't come into their house and jumped on their beds like Miss Tyra. I also liked it when she told one of them to "Get out".

I find the culture difference between the Aussies and the Americans to be hilarious. I mean, the shyest one on ANTM3 was supposed to be Norelle or Nicole but compare them to Chloe for example.

Lol @ Shannon
"Most of my shoes are sneakers or $3 thongs from Big W"

Dawei

Dawei

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2005 @ 8:32 AM

I'm digging this show, and I only saw about half what with me being all Mr Popularity and having the phone ring for the other half.

It's funny to compare this to the American version. No annoying hand blurs over cigarettes, "FUCK!" a-plenty, and some of the girls look like they could actually be models. They won't, but at least they look a bit model-y.

Some random thoughts:

-- Chick with ex-boyfriend Nathan? Annoying. God damn.
-- Nicole (?) who is really loud and over the top? Annoying.
-- Girl who said "my poor fanny!" while getting waxed? Gold. (I hope that wasn't Nicole).
-- I miss Janice and Miss Jay.
-- E-Mail? Lame.

Linhgo

Linhgo

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 11, 2005 @ 1:06 PM

Some random thoughts:

-- Chick with ex-boyfriend Nathan? Annoying. God damn.
-- Nicole (?) who is really loud and over the top? Annoying.
-- Girl who said "my poor fanny!" while getting waxed? Gold. (I hope that wasn't Nicole).
-- I miss Janice and Miss Jay.
-- E-Mail? Lame.

I think Nicole is the chick with the ex. She's the anorexic ultra-bogan one from Albury. Most of them are loud and annoying but I think the one you're referring to is Sam, the chick that flirted with the Sydney Swans players.

purist

purist

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2005 @ 6:09 PM

My wordy lordy yes, Sam is annoying. She's the one the judges called 'common'. Hee.

I'm sad that my early favourite, Naomi, got the boot. Yeah, she's short, but so is Eva, winner of ANTM 3. Skinny Nicole should have gone. Shannon is now my favourite, cheap footwear and all.

It's funny to compare this to the American version. No annoying hand blurs over cigarettes, "FUCK!" a-plenty, and some of the girls look like they could actually be models. They won't, but at least they look a bit model-y.

Word, Dawei. We might even see some non-pixelated tits and ass. Woot!

Dawei

Dawei

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2005 @ 6:33 PM

Ah, yes, Sam. Girl is annoying, yo.

Taitn

Taitn

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 11, 2005 @ 9:29 PM

Opening credits suck major ass. I wished they used the song in the ads instead. Plus, considering that part of the prize is going to Milan, I guess the overseas trip isn't going to happen, which is slightly disappointing. Having said that, it wasn't too bad. Nobody stands out yet though but I was surprised by how photogenic the girls were since they all looked rather average in the previews.

Napoleon shits me. Is his products actually popular? Because the dude seriously needs to get off the screen before he scares people away from them. But considering that he is on during every ad break and that he is going to be a judge at some point, that probably isn't going to happen.

Edited by Taitn, Jan 13, 2005 @ 10:40 PM.

Dawei

Dawei

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2005 @ 8:41 AM

Meanwhile, I just caught a bit of the repeat, and part of the prize is a trip to Milan... with $1000 spending money? Australian dollars? Because isn't that like, 500ish Euros? That would buy like, a metro ticket and lunch.

I hope they do a travel bit as well anyway, but the Aussie budget probably won't allow it. America'sNTM have already done Paris, Milan, and Tokyo, so I don't know where else they could go anyway. They may go to NZ, as they have a bit of a design cred building up, but that doesn't give much hilarious culture shock value.

My early favourite: Zoe.
Most fugly: tie between Nicole and Chloe. And Simmone. And Gemma.
Most annoying: Sam.

Andrew's Mommy

Andrew's Mommy

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2005 @ 5:38 PM

Yes I caught about 15 mins last night whilst listing all my collectibles on ebay.

Nicole has no ass.

Most need a good feed.

Why is it the only one I had ANY affinity for got voted off?

dyanad

dyanad

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 13, 2005 @ 6:17 PM

Wait, I am in America's Next Top Model withdrawl! Now your telling me about this? When is it on? Where can I see it? and where is the official website?

Thanks much for any info.

Dyana

cavalier196

cavalier196

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2005 @ 7:06 PM

Never fear ! Look just one page back in this very thread and the link to the official site is there !

PS: Read the Site/Forum FAQ, and dont sign your posts. Mods hate that stuff.

Edited by cavalier196, Jan 13, 2005 @ 7:08 PM.

dyanad

dyanad

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 13, 2005 @ 7:44 PM

Oops, sorry bout that. I am very new here.

So, where can I watch or download episodes? I am in the U.S., so I can't watch via TV.

Thanks for the link to the site, looked around and read the recap so far.

kariva

kariva

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2005 @ 12:55 AM

I never watched The Hothouse and thus never understood the intense hate for Erika Hayhats or whatever she's called, but jumpin jesus on a pogo stick I've got it now!

She speaks like she graduated from The Price is Right School of Presenting. Articulate! Gesticulate!

"Get out" was her shining moment. Who was that to? Because she seemed to have a real hate on for that girl.