Survivor in the Media

• Please log in to reply

1699 replies to this topic

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2011 @ 1:10 PM

That's the first promising twist since... I don't even know. Unless we count just setting up a base game in Tocantins as a twist. Which was good.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 4:17 PM

So Andrea Boehlke (from last season) has been doing a variety of things about this season, like Gordon Holmes power rankings and a blog. She pretty consistently makes me laugh. Though doesn't hate Cochran, but whatever I'll excuse it.

Edited by enlightenedbum, Oct 25, 2011 @ 5:00 PM.

reinoe

reinoe

Fanatic

Posted Oct 30, 2011 @ 6:45 PM

Wow, Andrea's blog is awesome. Granted I only read just one. If only that website wasn't such a clustertruck.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Nov 1, 2011 @ 5:36 PM

I tend to just pay attention to her twitter feed which features links to such things. @andreaboehlke

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 3:02 PM

Heads up . . . the AV Club is now recapping old episodes, starting with "The Marooning."

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2011 @ 3:41 AM

So we have previously mentioned the Funny 115 (volume 2) in this thread. And while I think Mario enjoys sexist dicks a little too much, he has written the definitive takedown of Russell Hantz's Heroes vs. Villains gameplay. And made it the second funniest thing on the list.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Dec 1, 2011 @ 2:40 AM

Did anybody else catch the commercial for the made-to-order DVDs for Thailand and Amazon? First of all, has CBS ever advertised the latest bare-bones editions of The Amazing Race in that manner? Secondly . . . even with zero extras, how fucked up is it that Thailand gets the treatment? Worse, half the people on the cover didn't make the jury. There's Brian, Clay and Jan, the winner and runners-up. Shii Ann makes sense, since she was the only entry from that season on All Stars and the only one really worth giving a damn about (as always, your mileage may vary). Then there's Robb . . . y'know, the Neanderthal that almost choked Clay out. And even he lasted longer than Ghandia. That's right . . . "Denver Drama Mama" made the cover. That's a whole level of suck right there . . . worse than friggin' Rupert getting front and center on the cover of Pearl Islands.

I'm guessing a lot of people know about Funny115 already. I'm linking because there's a new GIF of Dan on the oversized chair from last year. Funny as hell moment from one of the most useless players to ever compete.

Philyra

Philyra

Fanatic

Posted Dec 8, 2011 @ 3:28 PM

Just Peachy was just married.

To Zack Morris' ex-wife! I guess I didn't realize he and the contestant he was dating (Julie?) weren't together anymore. Mazel tov, you crazy kids.

Edited by Philyra, Dec 8, 2011 @ 3:30 PM.

MarkHB

MarkHB

Stalker

Posted Dec 8, 2011 @ 10:25 PM

Jeff and Julie broke up years ago if I remember correctly. I can't remember exactly when, but I don't think it was very long after Vanuatu anyway.

They lasted at least a couple of years together; there's a story here on the two of them in Portland for Christmas, 2006 when they came to visit her family.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Dec 13, 2011 @ 6:41 PM

"Stephanie V"? Wasn't her last name "La Grossa" or something like that?

In other news: Richard the Turd whines about how Rob took his place on Redemption Island. Now we have two reasons to hate Hatch: 1. He claims he would've won the game, even though it would've been seven years since he last played, and 2. If he hadn't gotten into the pokey, that season might've been more entertaining. I know this is blasphemy, but I liked seeing Richard and Russell in the lead-up show for Heroes Vs. Villains. They were so cute together as the "First Vs. Latest" pair . . . and if Russell wound up batting for the other team and gotten hitched to Hatch, neither guy would have to change their initials.

ETA: Funny115's second edition wraps up with a salute to (pre-South Pacific) Benji.

Edited by Lantern7, Dec 13, 2011 @ 6:42 PM.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Dec 15, 2011 @ 9:40 PM

I'm going to start a new thread for the Hall of Fame discussion and move all the relevant posts over. It's kind of taken over this thread, so obviously there's interest.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 3:39 AM

Linda Holmes -- The Recapper Formerly Known As Miss Alli -- dons robe and sandals, lays out ten commandments for players to obey. Okay, I added the Moses stuff, but it does make for a good read, especially the part about getting trapped by Probst in interviews, on account of him wanting to slurp on a nearby alpha male.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 3:04 PM

Brandon gets a life, divorces life, calls the show "A bad memory." Kinda cringeworthy, but if it decrease the odds of a Hantz Hoedown-themed season, I'm all for it.

MarkHB

MarkHB

Stalker

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 6:35 AM

I hope he's not divorcing "life" entirely :)

Linked from another story on that site, 6 former castaways (including Kelly Goldsmith) addressed a Northwestern U. class on reality TV, and among other things some cheating was alleged.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 2:48 PM

Probst says he wouldn't bring Colton back. I still think that 1. Burnett would overrule Probst on that matter, and 2. Probst will give Colton one of his trademark all-over tongue baths at the Reunion.

ETA: Is this better, sassygoddess1? The new system was giving me grief, but I figured it out.

Edited by TWoP Pembleton, Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:05 PM.

sassygoddess1

sassygoddess1

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 4:28 PM

Lantern7 wrote:

Probst: I Wouldn't Bring Colton Back. I still think that 1. Burnett would overrule Probst on that matter, and 2. Probst will give Colton one of his trademark all-over tongue baths at the Reunion.

Lantern7, your link was "bad." Could you please check the link and re-post it? I'm really curious as to what Probst wrote/said.

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 8:44 PM

I wonder how much of that has to do with Colton not being a Big Strong Heterosexual Man?

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

Lantern, I tried to fix your link and made it worse. Can you repost? I Googled but couldn't find the article.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

SnideAsides . . . honestly, I would've expected Probst to want Colton back, since he's such a drama queen, and that makes for great television. [/sarcasm]

Here's the link.

Bob Sambob

Bob Sambob

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 10:48 AM

Cesternino has really been breaking out the old-school guests recently. Three weeks ago, he brought on Jeff Varner. Last week was Hatch and Vecepia. This week, he got Aras. All were info-packed.

Edited by Bob Sambob, Mar 30, 2012 @ 10:49 AM.

TMO

TMO

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

Cesternino has really been breaking out the old-school guests recently. Three weeks ago, he brought on Jeff Varner. Last week was Hatch and Vecepia. This week, he got Aras. All were info-packed.

Thanks for the links. I started with Vecepia because I asked myself "what insight could she possibly provide on anything" and thought for entertainment purposes she would be great to start with. Amusingly she says several things throughout the interview that really undermine her own win. I've always thought that, even though I think she was terrible and don't care much for her personality, it would be great to see her on another season. It sounds like she does still keep up with the game and knows enough about how it's developed. It would be fun to see her again.

Edited by TMO, Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:24 PM.

neplusultra

neplusultra

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

This Chuck Klosterman column is nearly six years old, but it was new to me. I was curious to know if any of the Survivor experts who post here agree that Ethan and Tom were the only cases in the first twelve seasons where the "strongest players" won; and also, whether this has been the case in the eight(?) seasons since this was written.

Bob Sambob

Bob Sambob

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 7:15 PM

This Chuck Klosterman column is nearly six years old, but it was new to me. I was curious to know if any of the Survivor experts who post here agree that Ethan and Tom were the only cases in the first twelve seasons where the "strongest players" won; and also, whether this has been the case in the eight(?) seasons since this was written.

Hmmm. Well, based on the tone of the article, I personally interpreted that Klosterman was equating “strongest” as the player who was actually edited as the unmitigated face of the alliance, i.e. the person who was running the game OR making the right/best decisions as the editors wanted us to see it. So, by that rationale, I agree with his choices of Tom and Ethan (Ethan might be a bit of a reach, but I consciously remember thinking of Lex and Ethan as a duo at the time, and since Lex was edited as the paranoid one, Ethan was more likable, which made him the stronger of the two, so I’m OK with it). But by that criteria, he left out Brian and maybe Hatch (while Hatch was absolutely the face of the Tagi alliance, most people watching the first season were rooting for Pagong since they were the younger, more fun-loving, LIKEABLE group, so TV might not have done Hatch any favors. On rewatch, though, it becomes VERY clear). So yeah, under his scenario by my estimation, Colby, Kathy, Rob C., Fairplay/Rupert, Boston Rob, Ami and Steph would have been the people he considered as the “strongest.”

Now, since then, I would wager that the “strongest” were arguably edited to be:
Cooks: Yul/Ozzy (yes)
Fiji: Earl/Yau-Man (depends on your thinking, but one of them was definitely the strongest)
China: Todd/Amanda (ditto)
FvF: Parvati (I would’ve said Cirie at the time and I still might, actually, but most people disagree with me)
Gabon: Bob (based on what happened after the second swap, I would’ve actually probably said Kenny was depicted as strongest)
Tocantins: JT (absolutely)
Samoa: Russell (he lost, thank god)
HvV: Parvati/Russell (all hail Sandra)
Nicaragua: Sash (victim of the Final 3)
Redemption Island: Boston Rob (no doubt about it)
South Pacific: Coach and, for some reason, Ozzy (both lost to who was truly strongest, in my humble opinion)

ETA: Gabon and Nicaragua are the two I have a hard time interpreting, because they have the two biggest WTF winners ever.

Edited by Bob Sambob, Apr 4, 2012 @ 1:18 AM.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 1:13 AM

FvF: Parvati (I would’ve said Cirie at the time and I still might, actually, but most people disagree with me)
Gabon: Bob (based on what happened after the second swap, I would’ve actually probably said Kenny was depicted as strongest)

I'd actually agree with you on Cirie. I think Cirie was the strongest player in both of her seasons. As for Gabon, I'd go with Sugar. Bob won, but only by Sugar's hand. That may not have been how it was behind-the-scenes, but I think the editors played it that way.

neplusultra

neplusultra

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 2:20 AM

Oh wow, I had forgotten about Bob...yet going to Wikipedia to refresh my memory, he was actually one of my favorite winners.

TMO

TMO

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 6:46 PM

Tom, absolutely. Ethan, no. I think both Lex and Big Tom played superior games with Lex having the advantage when it came to strategic play and Big Tom with the advantage with social play, specifically having a strong bond with every single Samburu member that merged.

I think Hatch was the strongest in his season and he won, as well as Chris and Brian. I think Tina and Colby were essentially even, and she won, so that sort of counts too. I think Africa, Marquesas, Amazon, All Stars, Guatemala, and Exile Island all featured winners that slightly underperformed as compared to one other player. I'm not sure how I stand on Pearl Islands. I rewatch that season somewhat frequently, and it seems like each time I change my mind on whether Sandra was the "strongest player" or not. I think in some ways she was absolutely brilliant, and remains the only truly dominant "superfan" to ever win the show, but she also benefited greatly from things she had no hand in.

neplusultra

neplusultra

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 11:47 PM

So I take it you disagree then with Klosterman's basic thesis that "The perfect Survivor contestant is the kind of paradoxical individual who should not exist: an understated, noncontroversial, virtually invisible personality who--for some unknown reason--really, really wants to be on TV"?

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 12:39 AM

The perfect Survivor contestant is basically a less cocky Parvati, or a moderately more athletic Sandra. Neither of whom are invisible, by any stretch of the imagination.

Bob Sambob

Bob Sambob

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 12:07 PM

Rob Cesternino is recording a podcast with Yul, sounds like today to be posted in the next couple of days. Stay tuned. Yul is most likely doing press for this.

Edited by Bob Sambob, Apr 9, 2012 @ 12:50 PM.

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:32 AM

I cannot imagine a definition of "strongest player" (as opposed to "best") by which Brian Heidik is not the strongest of the pre-RI seasons by about a billion miles. (Using Bob Sambob's definition, a distant, distant, distant, distant second is Rob in ASS. And if we're including all seasons...well, it probably goes RI Rob, then the Werewolf of Thailand, then ASS Rob. Look: I'm growing, Bob Sambob!) There are flaws in Heidik's game that make him a less dominant choice for "best ever", but "strongest" in terms of how Bob defines it (control of the game, face of the alliance, etc.)? How in the heck could Klosterman not consider Brian the strongest player in Thailand? Who was? Shii Ann? Penny?

Okay, I read the column. Klosterman continues to irritate me. I've never for a second considered Survivor "reality television" in the way that people-hang-out-and-bicker shows like his beloved Real World are. It's a game show---a much different sort of game show than Wheel of Fortune, but stll a game show.

I agree with him that of the first twelve winners, Tom, Ethan, and the inexplicably-ignored Heidik have been the only ones on their seasons who've been the "strongest" in the sense of being the one I'd most want to be trapped on an island with if this were Lost. (Really low bar set in Africa, though. I would also nominate Aras, because he would use yoga moves to tame some animals and then we would have perhaps monkey butlers, but just being objective here? Terry Deitz would use his immunity idol to get the monkeys to build us a plane and then fly us off the island. Will never not love Aras, but Terry was "stronger".) But the only winner who even came close to being "ungreat" in the way that Klosterman describes in the first 12 seasons was Lamber in ASS, and I put her in the same box as Tina and Sandra: if you can convince the person making the choice that it's better to lose a million dollars to you than possibly win a million dollars against somebody else, you've done something great.

I bet you $10 Chuck Klosterman has never seen an episode of Survivor in his life.

Oh, and I love enlightenedbum's answer about what the best Survivor player ever would look like (I'd slot Athletic Sandra at #2, Less Cocky Parvati at #3, and If Russell Hantz Learned A Social Game at #4), but I think the perfect Survivor player is, as I've said, Brian Heidik. Brian Heidik, just as he is. I have never encountered anyone in my wanderings, in real life or in the media, who is as good at anything as that man is at this game, and I doubt I ever will. Remember when past Jeopardy champions Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter, the best human beings ever to play Jeopardy, played against a super-intelligent computer? More-athletic Sandra is Ken Jennings. Less-cocky Parvati is Brad Rutter. And Heidik makes the super-intelligent computer with all the world's knowledge in it look like Burt Reynolds on SNL's "Celebrity Jeopardy".

Edited by Yogurt Baron, Apr 11, 2012 @ 2:44 AM.