Survivor in the Media

• Please log in to reply

1699 replies to this topic

Mrsmom

Mrsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 4, 2004 @ 10:54 AM

I could of sworn this topic was here already...

First Survivor commerical of the season was on last night. Anyone else see it?

Scat

Scat

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 4, 2004 @ 2:57 PM

I caught the very end of it, a large fish was eating a smaller fish? Can you recap it for us all Mrsmom?

[ETA] mel42024, I think they said September 16? Maybe even September 6?

Edited by Scat, Aug 4, 2004 @ 8:13 PM.

mel42024

mel42024

Fanatic

Posted Aug 4, 2004 @ 7:12 PM

And did it say when the new season was starting? I think it's near the end of September but I'm really not sure.

Mrsmom

Mrsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 5, 2004 @ 8:48 AM

Acutally Scat they showed a number of bare legs from the knee down, walking down the beach. Then they showed the logo (which looks like they cut the word "Vanuatu" out and pasted it on one of the old logos) and the start date. Now according to CBS's website the start date is Thurs. Sept. 16 @ 8:00pm. Do keep in mind this was on Canadian television and it may be different in the U.S. (the commercial that is)

Scat

Scat

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 5, 2004 @ 9:03 PM

I just saw the commercial again. I'm in Canada too but I must be seeing a different commercial than you Mrsmom. It starts off as a scratchy documentary-esque description of the Vanuatu islands, and then the speaker goes "Can we kick it up a notch?" or something, and the commercial turns to colour. Then we see some quick flashes, including the survivor's legs walking in (including someone wearing socks up to their knees), and another with Jeff Probst talking about throwing twists in the game. The 'speaker' then reminded us that the island is known for it's cannibalism, blah blah, then a quick shot of a large swordfish eating a smaller fish, and then -- Survivor.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Aug 9, 2004 @ 8:22 PM

I saw legs. I saw what appeared to be Ethan and Bahstan Rahb battle on the plank. I think the voiceover guy said there are 18 contestants. Peachy: "Somebody's gonna get burned!"

JDG

JDG

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 12, 2004 @ 7:26 PM

I just saw an ad, and I heard 18 new castaways. Toughest yet. Someone is gonna get burned. Hot Peachy.

Milanne

Milanne

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 12, 2004 @ 8:55 PM

For Canadians, I was watching eTalk Daily (shut up!) and Ethan is supposed to be on tomorrow's (Friday) show. Why, I have no idea as I didn't pay close enough attention.

miri

miri

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2004 @ 9:46 PM

Oh god help me. They have Rupert doing commercials for the next season of Survivor. He does that weird as hell grin/grimmace in them.

Edited by miri, Aug 13, 2004 @ 8:56 AM.

ccrean

ccrean

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2004 @ 7:24 AM

AAAAAAhh! Last night I saw the commercial for Survivor Vanatu that featured Rupert! What is with Burnett? Rupert just will not go away! You have to see the commercial to appreciate the horror.

Edited by ccrean, Aug 13, 2004 @ 7:25 AM.

AlmondEyes

AlmondEyes

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2004 @ 10:39 PM

18 Survivors?!! Does this mean they're doing the stupid 3 teams thingie until the numbers are down to 12, then merge them into 2 teams a la All Stars? I hated that because I couldn't keep it straight who was on what team, and didn't really give a shit till they whittled it down to 2 teams. Mr. Burnett: please do not replicate anything about All Stars. It was an unmitigated disaster that you should be looking to make like amnesia and forget it ever happened.

Toughest Survivor yet, huh? Sure. If last season was any indication, their toughest decision will be how to store the leftovers from all the food thrown at them by TPTB.

Didn't they pay Rupert off - oops, I mean didn't he "win" a million dollars - at the end of All Stars? Who do I contact for an explanation as to why he's still haunting the airwaves, and potentially my tv?

Edited by AlmondEyes, Aug 13, 2004 @ 10:46 PM.

AussieGirl

AussieGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 14, 2004 @ 6:09 AM

A lot of people say that Thailand was the worst Survivor ever, but I have to agree with Almond Eyes that IMO All Stars was the worst ever. It rated badly here, (compared to previous seasons) till the Finale. I too had trouble trying to remember who was on which team, despite knowing most of them from previous shows. Imagine what it would be like with 18 new people.

Hexele

Hexele

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 14, 2004 @ 11:04 PM

Mother of Pearl...I'm just getting my house put back to rights after Hurricane Charley and plug in my TV -- voila! -- Rupert. Fucking Rupert on my TV. Dammit, I distinctly heard the 15-minute timer go off for this guy. After the general famewhorishness of ASS and the Rupert That Won't Go Away, I'm finding it difficult to muster enthusiasm about the new season.

samina

samina

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 14, 2004 @ 11:39 PM

I distinctly heard the 15-minute timer go off for this guy.

Bwaaah! Touche, hexele!

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Aug 15, 2004 @ 12:39 AM

It's the beard...gives some people Hagrid fuzzies. Shave it off, he's a bum.

Still haven't seen that one. How about a commercial with Amber, since...oh, didn't you hear???...she won the last season? Or Sandra...I like Sandra. Didn't rip Rupert or Fairplay's throats out the whole time she was there.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Aug 15, 2004 @ 11:56 AM

I swear, if I see the Rupert commercial one more time I'm going to go completely Rainbow Randolph on my tv. I despise you, I LOATHE YOU!

CindyBee

CindyBee

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2004 @ 12:20 PM

I swear, if I see the Rupert commercial one more time I'm going to go completely Rainbow Randolph on my tv. I despise you, I LOATHE YOU!

I know! Its sooo freakin annoying. Can't stand it!

I'm shocked that CBS is having Amber and Rob on TES on Tuesday, to discuss the new contestants. I thought for sure it would be Rupert.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Aug 15, 2004 @ 12:52 PM

Wait...so the annoucements are on Tuesday? For certain? How about the web site...will the Survivors be shown before then, or after the TES segment?

CindyBee

CindyBee

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2004 @ 12:58 PM

CBS put out a press release that the 18 new contestants would be annouced on Tuesday morning's TES show and that Julie Chen would have Rob and Amber on to discuss the two tribes and handicapped the contestants. I have no idea when the contestants will be put up on the Survivor website.

AlmondEyes

AlmondEyes

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2004 @ 4:58 PM

Two tribes instead of three? I really hope so.

Julie Chen . . . ugh. Hate her. She's such a good example of schtupping one's way to the top. Honestly, that entire TES crew is pretty clueless. Harry Smith has some credibility, having come from A&E and hosting some pretty interesting shows. T'would be nice if the TES anchors actually know what's happening on Survivor this season.

Bryant Gumbel, where are you when we need you?

distinctly heard the 15-minute timer go off for this guy.

Bwah! And word.

I'm shocked that CBS is having Amber and Rob on TES on Tuesday, to discuss the new contestants. I thought for sure it would be Rupert.

If TPTB has another "viewer's choice" million dollar winner - and I hope to God they don't - watch Rupert lobby to hand the check over.

Cerise6304

Cerise6304

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 17, 2004 @ 9:24 AM

Forget that fat frickin' windbag Rupert! The CBS website has all 18 new Survivors up and listed!

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Aug 17, 2004 @ 9:51 AM

Ami: Have we ever had a lesbian survivor before? I'm loving this girl.

Brady: Hey, girls, here's your eye candy, and he's an FBI agent to boot! So love.

Brook: Self-described Survivor fanatic? Look's like we've got our identification figure.

Chad: Going by your nickname? Not good. Still, his position as the first amputee contestant earns him some points.

Chris: Lunkhead muscleman, we'll see if he's a likable one.

Dolly: Please, please don't be who you look like. Being a staunch conservative isn't much better.

Eliza: By politically active I assume she means from the liberal side, so I hope she and Dolly are put together.

John K.: A mechanical bull operator who's also an artist? Weirding me out.

John P.: Odd that they don't tell us which well-known amusement park.

Julie: Love, love, love. That's all I have to say.

Lea: I think we just might have the next Rudy here.

Leann: Weird name and aspiring actress? No, no, no.

Lisa: Full-blown hick.

Mia: They're really not giving us much to go on here.

Rory: I don't have a problem with the name, since I love Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Hopefully his obsession with his African heritage won't become a problem.

Scout: Impressive list of hardships. Love.

Travis: Who wants to bet he got in because of his connection to Jon? Another hick, who I'm disliking for now.

Twila: Not liking the name, and she looks disturbingly like Budd from Kill Bill.

Edited by Eegah, Aug 17, 2004 @ 10:13 AM.

CindyBee

CindyBee

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2004 @ 10:11 AM

Ami: Have we ever had a lesbian survivor before? I'm loving this girl.

Scout's a lesbian too.

I'm at work so I can't watch the preview videos yet. Its hard to tell who I like just from pics and a bunch of bio stuff. One thing that I'm really surprised about is that they couldn't find ONE older guy to play. Seems like a really young group this time, especially the guys.

Cerise6304

Cerise6304

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 17, 2004 @ 10:33 AM

The one thing I'm initially liking overall, just from reading the bios at CBS, is that they seem like such a genuinely interesting bunch of people! I really hope that those traits come through during the season. Pearl Islands and particularly All Stars just about killed my love for this show, so giving us all new, really original and diverse types of people gives me hope that S9 will be a fresh start for this series and not a nail in the coffin.

Edit becuz gramer bee gud.

Edited by Cerise6304, Aug 17, 2004 @ 10:33 AM.

auntlada

auntlada

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2004 @ 10:43 AM

Scout's a lesbian too.

She's also a little loony, which you can tell if you read her bio on CBS's site:

becoming a successful, affluent, land-bearing Bohemian in the international corporate arena

Aren't some of those things mutually exclusive?

I didn't know she was on until just now, when I had a spare moment and thought to look at the site and see if contestants were up. I'd forgotten about Survivor in the excitement over The Amazing Race. Frankly, I'm frightened.

ETA: Not that being loony is related to being lesbian. She just is a little loony, in addition to being lesbian. She might make for interesting TV, though.

Edited by auntlada, Aug 17, 2004 @ 10:44 AM.

It Does Not Follow

It Does Not Follow

Posted Aug 17, 2004 @ 10:44 AM

Dolly: Please, please don't be who you look like. Being a staunch conservative isn't much better.

Ouch! She looks like Elly May Clampett, but I bet she talks like Holly King (Big Bro).

pretty in pinki

pretty in pinki

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 17, 2004 @ 10:45 AM

This Brook guy? Sounds like a womanizer. Favorite scents? Woman. Favorite actress? Britney Spears. Magazine? Playboy. I'm going to get sick of him real fast. Other than him, I don't see any real problems I'll have with the Suvivors.

Edited by pretty in pinki, Aug 17, 2004 @ 10:46 AM.

ali59

ali59

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 17, 2004 @ 10:47 AM

They sound like an interesting bunch to me. I did the age averaging thing and the average age is 32.611111, etc. Thank goodness there are only five under the age of 30. I'm amazed to see two are from Connecticut. I feel like I should cheer them on but they are going to have to earn it. I'm really looking forward to this season.

CindyBee

CindyBee

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2004 @ 11:07 AM

This Brook guy? Sounds like a womanizer. Favorite scents? Woman. Favorite actress? Britney Spears. Magazine? Playboy. I'm going to get sick of him real fast.

I wonder if Brook is in the cast cause TPTB love Rob M so much!??!!?

Dude from Boston-check
ex-hockey player-check
likes women-check
Playboy reader-check

It will be interesting to see how Brook fares without any chicks in his inital tribe!

[I put in a spoiler tage because that seemed like it might be one. If that is not, please feel free to remove the tag. - LTG]

Edited by LTG, Aug 17, 2004 @ 2:40 PM.

Nick32586

Nick32586

Posted Aug 17, 2004 @ 11:58 AM

I have way too much time on my hands at the moment--I've been scrutinizing the photos on the new Survivors' profiles, the black & white ones on the left, and they seem to be taken from a larger group picture that separates the men and women. In a lot of pictures, you can kind of see bits & pieces of other people, and men are only next to men, women next to women. Actually, it's a lot easier to tell who's near whom with the women because they're all kind of hugging with arms around each other and all that. I guess the men are too macho to get all touchy-feely with each other.

I don't know if this means anything, but it is interesting to note that they do have their buffs already, so either they are doing male/female tribes again or they decided the tribes, handed out buffs & everything, then had them take group pictures grouped by sex just to throw off the crazy people like me who would try to figure this out. I'm thinking it's the former and we're getting single-sex tribes like in Amazon, because while these photos are black & white, the men's buffs definitely look darker on the whole than the women's.

ETA--Wow, I didn't realize that the Early Show video made it so abundantly clear that it's another battle of the sexes. All that pointless work for nothing.

Edited by Nick32586, Aug 17, 2004 @ 12:03 PM.