Body Work: Plastic Surgeons With Conscience?!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

88 replies to this topic

gingerblue

gingerblue

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2004 @ 4:29 PM

Yeah, there is clearly no chemistry with the new doctors, and the patients look like the stereotypical plastic surgery addicts "more, bigger, puffier!" The Miami guys actually changed my mind on plastic surgery and the people that get it done- that you can have it done and look good after and be dignified about the whole process.

rhys7

rhys7

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2004 @ 11:37 AM

Well, I'm wondering if the LA dox will start tonite (Monday is the correct nite, no?).

lilya

lilya

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 4, 2004 @ 5:02 PM

I'm sure this new show will be interesting too---but I want Dr. Wolfe! Waaaah! don't take him away from me!

starwannabe

starwannabe

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2004 @ 8:19 AM

I know how you feel, lilya, I've really gotten used to looking forward to watching Dr. Wolf and the other two Miami docs -- kind of comfortable, like well-worn shoes. At least from the previews, the LA docs show looks to be kind of fast-paced (unless that was just the editing).

rhys7

rhys7

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2004 @ 9:02 AM

I liked that part last nite about seeing Wolf's brother. Trying to see a resemblance in the 2 and it was pretty difficult. Wonder if they had different dads. I adore Wolf's mom. She's quite the character and looks so fab for 68.

Pointe3579

Pointe3579

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2004 @ 11:11 AM

I agree with other here who have said that this show seems more real than some of the other sugery shows. The people on this show seem like real people who are just trying to make a difference in their lives. The docs on the show seem light hearted and down to earth too, while still taking things seriously when they need to. If I lived in the Miami area, I would definitely consider going to these guys for any plastic/cosmetic surgery that I was looking for.

rhys7

rhys7

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2004 @ 1:47 PM

Wasn't it odd to see Laura get work done on her lips after seeing nip/tuck a couple of wks ago. On nip, there was a character who went to a lousy plastic surgeon to get some work done (in the back room of a nail shop). Laura, on last nite's real show, had some cheap lip enhancement done and was now needing sev'l treatments/procedures with Wolf in order to correct her collegen injections. Odd to see these 2 shows so close together.

Pointe3579

Pointe3579

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2004 @ 2:44 PM

During the Laura lip segment, I totally agreed with Dr. Wolfe when he said it makes him upset that there are people out there that could do this to someone. Talk about the importance of checking creditentials, especially with plastic/cosmetic surgery.

Edited by Pointe3579, Oct 7, 2004 @ 11:37 PM.

Pointe3579

Pointe3579

Fanatic

Posted Oct 12, 2004 @ 2:30 AM

I don't know if this is the appropriate thread or not, but I just watched the LA version of the show and I don't know I felt as if something was missing. I like the Miami version so much better. It seems more like real people as opposed to the LA typical plastic surgery types. I say bring back doctors Kelly, Herman and Wolfe and get rid of the LA version.

parsleysage

parsleysage

Posted Oct 12, 2004 @ 7:36 AM

I say bring back doctors Kelly, Herman and Wolfe and get rid of the LA version.

Add my vote to that! The new version BLOWS. The docs are boor--ring. The patients are ok though, however, we will now be seeing more actor-actress shallow-types like that red haired lady in her 50's. For some reason, I couldn't stand her, she bothered me. She's got one of those "breathy " voices. "I'm an actress." Well how can you be an actress AND a full time office manger? Honey, if you ain't made it by now, you ain't gonna.

Anyone notice that assistant with the curly blonde highlighted hair? Kind of like a cubic zirconia ring from Walmart--looks good from a distance but up close--SCARY!! Day-um, was she overly lifted and peeled. Not a good advertisement for a plastic surgeons office.

Interesting, the grey-haired Jewish doctor in his late 50's with a pregnant black girlfriend in her 20's. Odd combo.

Pointe3579

Pointe3579

Fanatic

Posted Oct 12, 2004 @ 7:59 AM

Interesting, the grey-haired Jewish doctor in his late 50's with a pregnant black girlfriend in her 20's. Odd combo.

That is what I thought too. Regardless though, I will take the Miami version of the show any day over this.

mimsy61

mimsy61

Fanatic

Posted Oct 12, 2004 @ 2:12 PM

I liked the show since I'm from LA and I liked seeing a female surgeon. I thought it was sweet when the son asked God to protect Mom when she had her boob surgery. He was really paying attention when she couldn't wake up and had the breathing problem. He seemed to really care about the patients and he should get alot of business repairing bad boob jobs.

Edited by mimsy61, Oct 12, 2004 @ 2:13 PM.

gingerblue

gingerblue

Fanatic

Posted Oct 12, 2004 @ 2:33 PM

don't know if this is the appropriate thread or not, but I just watched the LA version of the show and I don't know I felt as if something was missing. I like the Miami version so much better. It seems more like real people as opposed to the LA typical plastic surgery types. I say bring back doctors Kelly, Herman and Wolfe and get rid of the LA version.

Amen! Although I like the dynamic of watching a female surgeon, all these doctors seem obsessed with status and fame. I couldn't care less about their staff and families, either. Ugh. I thought the older surgeon was going to be a softie when he said he was going to do the breast reconstruction whether the woman could pay for it or not (how can she be 30?!?!), but then when I saw his uber-trashy fiance and heard him stressing about their future daughter getting baby food on the dining room carpet, I just got completely turned off. It all comes back to money and status in the end for these people.

I want my Miami docs back!! Please do another season with them!

Hairymango

Hairymango

Fanatic

Posted Oct 12, 2004 @ 5:30 PM

I like the dynamic of watching a female surgeon

I would like that dynamic if we saw her do something other than shop and take care of her hubby. I bet next week she bakes a pie!

I hate the staging of the LA doctors. What's with all the Washington crossing the Delaware poses? This is a documentary, I want more natural shots, not obvious set ups.

Overall, this group does seem a bit cheesy compared to the Miami docs. I wasn't expecting that from Body Work. They seemed like a more respectable version of Dr. 90210, but I guess not.

Edited by Hairymango, Oct 13, 2004 @ 1:21 PM.

rhys7

rhys7

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2004 @ 9:11 AM

Blech, I am so not liking this LA group. I really want to like Dr Julie. Great idea to have a female surgeon, but she hasn't done squat yet.

And the way the older doc talked about his yet-to-be-born daughter? Gah, I wanted to bitch slap him. He thinks she's going to be relegated to her room to eat? What a dumb shit. And, so sorry, but his wife looked like a slut.

Marc's girlfriend was really close to being slutty, too. However, that's LA and not at all similar to where I live, so I stand to be corrected about Michele.

TLC set the bar pretty hi when they used those great Miami dox. TLC should have taken more time to get a better group. I'll probably give the LA group one more shot, but if it's not better, I'll be leaving.

mimsy61

mimsy61

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2004 @ 5:45 PM

I didn't watch the Miami show but I'll give the LA docs a chance. I like the older doctor and his younger fiancee. It must be hard for him to adjust to having a baby at 58 and he's an excellent doctor,Yale educated and an asisstant professor at UCLA. he also travels to other countries to do free work. I found out about him on the TLC web site. The other doctors are well qualified too.

I'll keep watching to see how Marc can afford the new fancy place.

Edited by mimsy61, Oct 13, 2004 @ 5:46 PM.

gingerblue

gingerblue

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2004 @ 11:11 PM

I didn't watch the Miami show but I'll give the LA docs a chance. I like the older doctor and his younger fiancee. It must be hard for him to adjust to having a baby at 58 and he's an excellent doctor,Yale educated and an asisstant professor at UCLA. he also travels to other countries to do free work. I found out about him on the TLC web site. The other doctors are well qualified too.

Just because he's well qualified doesn't mean he can't be a giant tool/asshole. And he's both so far.

Oh, and the collagen lips girl? I didn't realize that people still wanted to look like the Barbie twins. Paging Ken Wahl- here's another woman to add to your brothel!

parsleysage

parsleysage

Posted Oct 15, 2004 @ 8:17 AM

Oh, and the collagen lips girl? I didn't realize that people still wanted to look like the Barbie twins

WHOA! Would that make a prime piece of reality televison--a Barbie Twins reality show. How much more fucked up could you get than them?

Pomone

Pomone

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2004 @ 7:35 PM

Man, I don't know if I was the only one who watched this, but man these L.A. doctors suck! The older guy is a complete jackass, and none of them came off as likeable. The woman could have been practicing in a different office for all the episode was concerned.

Who the hell cares that the main guy's girlfriend and friend who is a girl want to decorate things differently? Not me.

The people were alright, but the older doctor (sorry! don't know their names) implying that the woman's breast reconstruction surgery would serve as a platform for making the rest of her life better and that it would help her find her runaway daughter, I just don't have the words. That guy has a seriously overblown opinion of himself.

Pointe3579

Pointe3579

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2004 @ 10:22 AM

Has anyone heard anything regarding a return of the Miami version of the show? There is something in the LA version that is lacking and I hope TLC will bring back the Miami one permeantly. If anyone hears anything, please do post it here.

rhys7

rhys7

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2004 @ 3:55 PM

Well, I saw a wee bit of the LA dox over the weekend. They are still grumbling over the decorating of the stupid office. I don't recall any of these catfights with the Miami dox. Stop with the decorating dilemmas and get back to scalpel wielding. It's like Airplane--not interested in the other stuff.

The older doc did a breast recon on a woman who had mismatched boobs and had had surgery in the past.

MrCBM

MrCBM

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 26, 2004 @ 6:24 AM

I caught the show near the end with the mother and daughter at the table. The mother looked extra creepy from a distance and when the announcer mentioned her 49 plastic surgeries, I was like, Ohhhhkaaay. Then they showed the close-up, I ran out of the room.

starwannabe

starwannabe

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2004 @ 9:55 AM

I didn't catch last night's show yet, but have seen the first two from the new LA docs series. I can't decide if these new docs are really that painful to watch, or if the Miami docs were so good together and so much fun to watch that anyone else would pale in comparison. It does seem that this new round focuses more on the patients, which is probably a good thing since the doctors aren't all that interesting.

Hairymango

Hairymango

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2004 @ 2:46 PM

The show last night, with the woman who had 49 surgeries wasn't Body Work. It was some show called Extreme Plastic Surgery. It was enough to turn anyone off getting something done. Everyone on it looked over"done".

gingerblue

gingerblue

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2004 @ 8:09 PM

So, is Body Work LA off the air? It wasn't broadcast on its regular schedule time or during any of the scheduled repeat times this week. Has anyone caught it at any other time?

Hairymango

Hairymango

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2004 @ 8:20 PM

I checked TLC and its supposed to resume next Monday night at 10pm.

SisterSpoon

SisterSpoon

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2004 @ 5:31 AM

Well, there was nothing on November 1st. Does anybody know when it will really resume?

PS: I miss the Miami docs too. They made this show. I guess it will never be the same. I feel like this show is dead.

Maybe the network agrees with me and that is why we had this wonky scheduling.

starwannabe

starwannabe

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2004 @ 2:30 PM

I checked TLC's Body Work message board, and someone there mentioned that they had received an e-mail saying that there would be two new episodes on December 6 and 13. Oh goody. More procedures being done on female doc's relatives and interior design bickering between jealous girlfriend and childhood friend interior designer.

Vaya con Dios, Miami docs!

rhys7

rhys7

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2004 @ 5:30 PM

I'm wondering if the LA dox got so full of themselves when they were selected to be on this show that they decided to get a fab new office and a new partner. Now the viewers hate them and the 3 will be in serious debt. Anyone know if the television show pays the dox a bunch of money?