The Player

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

289 replies to this topic

ubi

ubi

Posted Sep 15, 2004 @ 9:14 PM

Huh? I thought there was another ep after this. The ending was SO spontanious and not-set up, ha ha.

MiamiGuy

MiamiGuy

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 15, 2004 @ 11:15 PM

What an abomination. So he gets the Escalade AND Dawn? So what was the point of that "agonizing" choice? And, since he's already been out on dates with Dawn, what does it mean now that he has "won" her? Does he get to go out with her for a week? A month? A year? Does she have to put out? And if she doesn't, can he sue the producers and UPN, telling them in court: "Don't hate the player, hate the game, cluckers."

But this show did add some new words and phrases to my vocabulary which will no doubt make me a better player. Think I'll start dropping them around the office, especially the ladies:

1) neck

2) game recognizes game

3) clucker

4) sharing is caring

and the absolutely Shakesperean

5) ting-tong (which J.J. graciously let us hear again tonight. Ah, good times.)

Sabrina81

Sabrina81

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2004 @ 11:32 PM

I called that he would get an Escalade if he didn't choose Dawn while on the couch watching it with my boyfriend. He looked at me funny and said "What if they give the prize for choosing Dawn?".

I started howling. "It's UPN! The show is "The Player" and Boston Rob is the player operator". At which point he thought I had lost it. Then he watched in horror and the events unfolded.

JJ is retarded.

vhakra

vhakra

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 16, 2004 @ 2:59 AM

Wow, J.J. aka Jason lost. Am I shocked? NO. Do I care? Nope. Acie wins a tacky ass medallion? You can't pawn that crappy silver plated bullshit. Now that Escalade that's a whole different story.

Hey Acie might need to get some quick "bling, bling" to record a song. Good lord how I would not want to even touch that horrible looking piece of garbarge on a chain!

I think people should make a drinking game where everytime Acie says clucker people have to drink. Everyone would be drunk in five minutes.

Boston Rob don't you feel dirty associating yourself with this crap? God knows I do everytime I watch but it's like a deer in the headlights thing, I'm frozen and can't get out of the way. Oh well it's over and I can put the nightmare of crappily plotted endings behind me!

ubi

ubi

Posted Sep 16, 2004 @ 4:48 AM

I guess it's just me being an old(er) guy, but I really hate those funky hubcap thingies. Tres tacky! So how come they only aired the final ep tonight? I thought the last ep was to be played on Thursday? Why do I even care?

Cathode Tube

Cathode Tube

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2004 @ 9:58 AM

I thought the ending went perfectly with the show. It made the same amount of sense. I actually feel bad for poor Ping-tang, but did he forget what show he's on? A playa doesn't wear his heart on his sleeve, sweetie. Poor fool's going to go home now, lock himself in his room and mutter to himself in his own language for weeks.

I appreciated that they didn't pretend Dawn and Acie were going to get married or something, as higher-budget shows tend to do. Not much happened at the end, but not much happened in the show. It was consistent. I have to respect that.

Dawn... that DRESS! (black velvet/white lace) I wouldn't drape a dead body in that.

I still like Ananda. She may not have been exactly classy in her behavior, but she didn't try to be something she wasn't. She called things like she saw them.

Boston Rob... what to say? He and Ambah thought they were playing each other too... Guess she doesn't love him quite enough to participate in this - or they were afraid she'd make the girls look bad.

parsleysage

parsleysage

Posted Sep 16, 2004 @ 10:37 AM

Poor fool's going to go home now, lock himself in his room and mutter to himself in his own language for weeks.

JJ is a dang fool. They showed one interview session last night where he spoke perfectly good english. Was very shocking to hear the contrast. Kind of like when Richard Pryor used to do that tight-ass white guy imitation. JJ can speak correctly, he just thinks he's "street" talking the other incoherent way. Also (correct me if I'm wrong--don't know this) but if the NFL was going to draft you and make you a millionaire, wouldn't they have done that by now?--he's 24.

I agree that the ending was perfect for this show. It was just as ambiguous as the entire series was. Cool Escalade!! Hope Acie doesn't lose it shooting dice in the hood. They shoulda given him a Mercedes, then he could've used that horrifying "Playa" necklace as the hood ornament.

Edited by parsleysage, Sep 16, 2004 @ 10:38 AM.

ShadowDenizen

ShadowDenizen

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2004 @ 11:24 AM

They shoulda given him a Mercedes, then he could've used that horrifying "Playa" necklace as the hood ornament.

Yeah, what was up with that fugly Medallion?

Man, this show rots! The final two were Acie and JJ? The hell? They were thelast two I would have picked from the original group.

And the "revelation" that the Player Operator was Bahstan Rahb? Yeah, color me surprised. Except, y'know, NOT! We all guessed it weeks ago, not to mention that you barely bothered hiding the voice.

However, I still love the opening credits/theme song. Cracks my shit up EVERY time.

whycantispeak

whycantispeak

Posted Sep 16, 2004 @ 12:14 PM

Loosecannon, thank you for understanding
Miamiguy, I agree with you on Latinos and race. Even a Mexican-American like myself, who has people of every color in his own family, still fell for the old stereotypes of what is Black, White, Latino, Asian etc. etc. etc. I should know better but I still fall into the trap.
By the way, was it just me, or did it seem like acie didn't know who Boston Rob was, other than recognizing his voice as that of the player operator.
So the whole point of this show was for Dawn to pick the guy who's player rap she fell for the most and who in the end would drop her right quick! I guess it is true to the player lifestyle, but it makes for terrible television!

ubi

ubi

Posted Sep 16, 2004 @ 12:26 PM

And the "revelation" that the Player Operator was Bahstan Rahb? Yeah, color me surprised. Except, y'know, NOT! We all guessed it weeks ago, not to mention that you barely bothered hiding the voice.

Who is Boston Rob? Am I sppsd to be impressed?

desire

desire

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 16, 2004 @ 2:16 PM

JJ is a dang fool. They showed one interview session last night where he spoke perfectly good english. Was very shocking to hear the contrast. Kind of like when Richard Pryor used to do that tight-ass white guy imitation. JJ can speak correctly, he just thinks he's "street" talking the other incoherent way. Also (correct me if I'm wrong--don't know this) but if the NFL was going to draft you and make you a millionaire, wouldn't they have done that by now?--he's 24.

Are you KIDDING me? He was faking that stupid....I don't want to say accent because I don't think Dumbass is a race, but..why?!

I liked Dawn too and hope she gets better work in the future than this dreck. I did like the way she tried to see the good in the guys and seemed to want to give them all a chance. I've seen people do that on the Bachelor/Bachelorette crap but she actually seemed genuine when she did it.

By the way, was it just me, or did it seem like acie didn't know who Boston Rob was, other than recognizing his voice as that of the player operator.

I think he either didn't know or just didn't care. Dawn probably knows very well who he is since she made it to the finals of Survivor, I think on the first Rob season?

ubi, Boston Rob came in second on the Survivor All-Stars and is engaged to the girl that won. (Combined prize was over a million? I think?) Are you supposed to be impressed? Nah.

Am I the only person who still really doesn't have any idea of what, exactly, a player is? I thought it meant someone who manipulates a member of the opposite sex to get some lovin' but apparently I'm way wrong. I'm not trying to be funny, I have no idea and would like to know. :/

Welp. I'm off to go slap myself repeatedly in the neck while talking incoherently and getting "grandpa's pearl" to award to some lucky young suitor. Maybe I'll get a big ugly SUV and a ridiculous necklace, eh.

Edited by desire, Sep 16, 2004 @ 2:40 PM.

Rainmaker

Rainmaker

Posted Sep 16, 2004 @ 2:46 PM

Dawn... that DRESS! (black velvet/white lace) I wouldn't drape a dead body in that.

I believe that's a Cache dress, which is by now means cheap. I personally didn't find anything wrong with it.

I think he either didn't know or just didn't care. Dawn probably knows very well who he is since she made it to the finals of Survivor, I think on the first Rob season?

I HATE Boston Rob, and I hate that he's getting an extended 15 minutes of fame. I doubt that Acie knew who he was - he doesn't seem to care about reality shows. And what do you mean she made it to the finals? Dawn was in Survivor? The last 15 minutes of this show was the only time I ever watched, so I'm a bit clueless as to who Dawn is, other than reading that she is a model. She looks like that model/sex advice columnist Dawn Yanek in Stuff Magazine.

desire

desire

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 16, 2004 @ 2:56 PM

And what do you mean she made it to the finals? Dawn was in Survivor?

Sorry, I could have worded that better. Someone dug up some articles about Dawn a few pages back, and according to this one she auditioned for a couple of other reality shows, including Survivor, before getting this part.

Last December, she and her mother auditioned as a mother-daughter team for CBS' The Amazing Race. Olivieri said officials made it clear they did not want them for that show, but the casting staff for Survivor called Dawn to set up an audition. She emerged as a finalist and got the lead role in The Player.

If it was last December it wouldn't have been Rob's season right? I've barely watched that show since the first season, I prefer totally mindless dreck like this show.

Edited by desire, Sep 16, 2004 @ 11:56 PM.

LooseCannon

LooseCannon

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2004 @ 7:59 PM

I still like Ananda. She may not have been exactly classy in her behavior, but she didn't try to be something she wasn't. She called things like she saw them.

True. But what she is, she shouldn't want to be. As far as calling things like she saw them, she twisted facts to fit her own agenda. And if she weren't there under the pretense of being Dawn's friend, she wouldn't have bothered me in the least. And since Dawn seems like a great person, Ananda's betrayals were even harder to swallow. Someone should introduce that chick to my friend Karma. (And no, Natalie, I don't mean Karma Electra.)

Poor Rob. He'll take any job to stop the speculation that he's marrying Ambah for the money.

I'm still not sure who won. Maybe it's Jinelle. She didn't hook up with any of those fools! Plus, she came off as a devoted friend to Dawn. Yeah, she wins.

Well, bye cluckers! I'm off to ping ting my ping tong pong! You can hate this player, but I bet you won't even understand the game! (I still don't.)

DesiChick88

DesiChick88

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 16, 2004 @ 10:59 PM

I missed Tuesday's episode and caught the last few minutes of the finale. Can anyone tell me what it was that Ananda did?

Janine61970

Janine61970

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 17, 2004 @ 4:04 PM

This board? SO much better than the actual show. I tried watching I just didn't get it. What the hell was the premise...and why was that blonde kid such spazz? I mean, I know I shouldn't expect that much from UPN, but DAYUM!

Cathode Tube

Cathode Tube

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2004 @ 4:50 PM

I missed Tuesday's episode and caught the last few minutes of the finale. Can anyone tell me what it was that Ananda did?

Can you believe I barely remember with my leftover brain cells? Mostly she campaigned for JJ, and confronted Acie on the using her to get to Dawn thing, to which he replied in true playa form, ambiguously. I was mainly referring to her overall character on the show. I wouldn't be surprised if she met Dawn the week before filming. Eh. I also wouldn't be surprised if this whole show was something Rob and Ambah dreamed up while they were sitting on the beach, weak with hunger, waiting for Rupert to shut his yap. It probably made perfect sense at the time.

ChocolateCherry

ChocolateCherry

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2004 @ 8:26 PM

I need help. I've been singing the player theme, which only has one word, unless you count Woo-Hoo-Hoooo and Uh-huh as words. Then I spin around and grin at my cat and tilt my head to the side. The starting was the best part of the show, it would have been better had the taken all the audio from the show and just used it with those faceless cartoons.

desire

desire

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 17, 2004 @ 8:54 PM

Woo-Hoo-Hoooo! Playa playa, playa playa! playa playa! Woo oooh ah ah ah!

Gee guess what's stuck in my head now! Thanks a lot ChocolateCherry. ;D

Rydell

Rydell

Posted Sep 18, 2004 @ 7:05 PM

My thoughts on the final episode:

1. Dawn only picked Acie because she knew it would piss off Ananda.

2. Dawn thought Acie was going to choose a commitment to her instead of staying a "player." (You could tell from the surprised expression on her face.) But then she had to save face with that "game recognizes game, I'm a player too" crap.

3. Don't feel too sorry for J.J. As stupid as he is, apparently he has a lot of ex-girlfriends who've still got the hots for him so I don't think he'll have a shortage of women to date.

4. How I wished Acie had told Dawn, "Game over, player. Don't hate the player. Hate the game." And driven off to the sounds of the Ludacris song "Move, Bitch!"

Edited by Rydell, Sep 18, 2004 @ 8:31 PM.