Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

132 replies to this topic

JoeSpacely

JoeSpacely

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 23, 2010 @ 10:54 AM

But I bet there would also be a huge influx of fans that would be over the moon to see a gay player come out, that would cheer their fool heads off, balancing out the troglodytes. Especially, as Andrea said, if said player is a winner.

Said player would have to be at MVP caliber. Sports is one of those institutions where logic often is set aside by emotion and superstition. Not unlike how Fox News and AM Talk Radio instigate much of the anti-Democrat public sentiment, these icons for 'the purity of sport' would spend the week before a game getting the fans riled up; the beer at the stadium would fuel the rest.

"Real Sports" is so set apart from the rest of sports media that Bryant's surprise and occasional indignation at certain things is almost laughable. The wrap-up proved that "Real Sports" is as much about things like triumph over adversity, and the power of the human spirit, as analysis of recent events. Even when they delve into the top stories, there is a distance that separates them from the name-calling, ego-driven, a-holes at the other sports channels.

"Real Sports" is a relatively rare oasis of quality and decorum in a world that is largely about dick measuring - by players, coaches, owners, and the sports media. People seem to like to point out that Gumbel didn't work out at NFL Network, but that doesn't surprise me. Outside of a Sunday morning timeslot (like ESPNs "Outside the Lines"), Bryant's style doesn't mesh with the 'Man Up' nature of most other sports programming.

Edited by JoeSpacely, Dec 23, 2010 @ 10:55 AM.

Dick Van Dork

Dick Van Dork

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 23, 2010 @ 2:09 PM

Sure, fans would be odious-- it's one of the fun things about spending all that money to see a game in stadium.

Having to have my 9 year old nephew be subjected to 3+ hours of obese drunks screeching and shrieking NIGGER NIGGER, NIGGER, NIGGER, NIGGER, NIGGER, NIGGER!!!!!!!!!!!! is not my or most peoples ideas of fun, and attitudes like yours are why i no longer attend sporting events.

That being said, it will be interesting to see what effect the repeal of DADT in the military will have on gays and lesbians coming out in pro sports.

Pro sports lockers are viciously homophobic, especially baseball and football as most players in both league are VERY conservative Republicans

JoeSpacely

JoeSpacely

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 23, 2010 @ 8:17 PM

Yeah, just seeing that in print makes me uncomfortable. Imagine hearing that yelled out by obnoxious fucks in a stadium, after tailgate liquor and in-house beer.

"Real Sports" has presented a number of stories about unruly fan behavior - not only the European soccer fans making racist remarks, but I believe they did a story, a couple of years back, about the impacts from pre-game tailgating and during-game beer sales. No way would I want to be bothered with that kind of behavior.

I don't know that DADT repeal will impact player positions - it's not like it has even been illegal to be gay in pro sports, as it was in the military. Thinking that players will suddenly see this as a green light to be open is mighty optimistic.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Dec 24, 2010 @ 9:07 AM

Dick Van Dork, I take your point and am chastened.

Dick Van Dork

Dick Van Dork

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 25, 2010 @ 4:28 PM

attica, sorry if I came across harshly, didn't mean to, it's just that the attitude of so called "fans" these days is, "I paid (insert amount of money here) for these tickets, plus (insert amount of money here for parking and food and beer) and these spoiled brat athletes are making (insert semi-obscene amount of money here) and I am paying their, the athlete's salaries and therefore it is my constitutional right to get piss and shit my pants drunk before and during the game and spend the entire game shrieking and screeching racial slurs and vile obscenities at players and coaches on both sides and fans of the other team, as physically assaulting opposing fans and children and screaming at women to 'Show me your tit's slut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' and you can't do anything about it.

And this sort of crap isn't confined to the major league sports, it has filtered down to the minor league hockey/baseball as well as high school sports.

I mean, when I was a little kid, I liked the Buccaneers because of their burnt orange colors and had a t-shirt and shorts and never got any shit about it, whereas nowadays I'd more likely get the shit beaten out of me every day I wore it to school.

Edited by Dick Van Dork, Dec 25, 2010 @ 4:28 PM.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Feb 17, 2011 @ 11:02 AM

What a surprise! A Mike Tyson interview full of touching sentiment and lovely, gauzy shots.

Not.

I mean, have we ever seen a Tyson interview in which the incongruity of a brutal man and his tender side isn't highlighted? Does every single interviewer have to go with some kind of redemption arc? Does any body care about whatever happened to the poor woman he raped, who, as far as I know, doesn't have any upcoming reality show about freaking sky-rats? Lazy-ass media.

That Bernie Goldberg believes Victor Conte is the least ringing endorsement I can imagine, Bernie being such a longtime lousy judge of character and fact. Bernie always seems to do these kinds of segments, though. The ones where he gets to say to some schlub: What, you expect me to believe you? And then he does. (See: Dykstra, Lenny, before the bankruptcy.)

JoeSpacely

JoeSpacely

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 19, 2011 @ 8:21 PM

Honestly, the rape thing was so many years ago, it didn't even cross my mind during the whole piece. In fact, there was not that much need to talk with Tyson at all, but there have been so many articles, stories, and documentaries about the subject (look it up) that what more is there to really say? Heck, I don't believe Tyson has ever admitted to it.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Feb 20, 2011 @ 8:20 AM

the rape thing was so many years ago, it didn't even cross my mind during the whole piece.

I would suggest that was one of the aims of the piece. Nothing to see here folks, look at the birdies!

JoeSpacely

JoeSpacely

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2011 @ 10:00 AM

I don't know that I agree with that. At this point, asking Tyson about the rape charge is like asking Magic about his HIV diagnosis. But I will agree that there was no relevancy to this interview that would otherwise counter the perception that a "puff piece" was being displayed.

On another subject, the piece of Deadspin was interesting, in that it confirmed what I long suspected - that more mainstream media outlets launder the filth they report through sites like this, so that they can then report on "what's out there" while purporting distance from the stench, and their audiences can feel somehow superior for not going directly to the source themselves (although many probably do anyway). That it seems to operate in some bizarre rental incubator-type facility is fitting, I suppose.

Simbas Uncle

Simbas Uncle

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2011 @ 1:00 PM

I'm in the media (weekly newspaper) myself and it seems that straight forward stories in sports are very rare and getting rarer. I've read Deadspin when it takes on ESPN behind-the-scenes or its coverage and agree with them there. Other things, I don't pay attention to them.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Oct 20, 2011 @ 12:45 PM

Bump!

So, the most recent ep had tons of good stories.

My heart went out to Jerry West, whose relationship with his father tainted his life for seven decades. I'm struck that even as he eschews therapy, he confessed a bit more to Bryant than he confessed in his own book, which indicates to me that talking to a professional would do him some good, even now. And I wonder what kind of a father he is to his own kids, knowing how domestic violence is cyclical.

I will never, no not ever, understand people who do ultramarathons. The suffering that they all feel compelled to endure speaks to something very off-the-curve, imo. Carillo was good with all of them, but she always is.

I wanted to take a stick to the NHL dude, who is all: we dunno -- keep them fights a'coming!. Hockey's a fun game to watch. It would be fun without a position player being devoted to block-knocking. And hearing all those guys despair over the knowledge they'd have to fight their own friends, that was poignant.

The FLDS follow-up was the least meaty of the bunch. Basketball girl goes to Vegas and big trucks follow the camera crew around. Feels like it means more than it actually does.

JoeSpacely

JoeSpacely

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 20, 2011 @ 8:25 PM

I think tonight "Real Sports" does its annual Year in Review special, where they bring all the correspondents together to talk about their stories past.

They really don't go too deep with these anymore, as far as critique, but it will be interesting to hear any new takes / updates on the stories of 2011.

sandrajane

sandrajane

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 8:40 PM

Bumped because of the Rae Carruth episode. I made it to the part they aired Cherica Adams 911 call. I had to to a minute to compose myself. I also had read the recent SI article on this.