Good Morning, America!

• Please log in to reply

1121 replies to this topic

Rora

Rora

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:33 PM

Thanks heirloomtomata. I've never timed the show but I lose interest after 25 minutes or so, -because I think it's all downhill after that- so that's about right. I am all for listening to lighter side of news with my morning coffee but I refuse to sign up for Entertainment Tonight (ehem This Morning) in the early wee hours.

Also does Kris Jenner have naked pictures of the producers or something? Why is she now a frequent on the show? I take my boycotting of K's seriously so I turn it off whenever she or her annoying family come on. Luckily it usually is not in the first half hour where I actually pay attention.

Edited by Rora, Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:33 PM.

snowflakey

snowflakey

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 25, 2012 @ 9:11 AM

Good Morning America as we now know it is little more than any other Disney show.

It is sad to see GMA being 2 hours of tabloid TV under the guise of "news." Last night was the State of the Union Address and it was glossed over. To paraphrase their coverage: "Obama hugged Gabby Giffords and then he said some stuff."
Then they went on to spend an entire segment talking about Demi Moore's health problems. Oddly enough, Lara Spencer made a point to say that the media should give celebrities their privacy, then continued to talk about speculation around Moore's hospitalization.

reflection5

reflection5

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 25, 2012 @ 2:33 PM

Lara Spencer made a point to say that the media should give celebrities their privacy, then continued to talk about speculation around Moore's hospitalization.

Yeah, for Lara to make such a pronouncement then babble on about Demi's problems is ridiculous. But so is Lara, imo.

Lava VaVoom

Lava VaVoom

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2012 @ 5:22 PM

Robin Roberts' dad was indeed one of the Tuskegee Airmen. He died not too long ago. She is not a pilot from what I know about her.

I have despised Lara Spencer since she was on WABC in New York. She did a segment on "do blondes have more fun?" Her hair was dyed brown to see if strangers responded to her in the same way. She bitched and complained that she didn't get the same level of attention as a brunette, and couldn't wait to get back to her blond hair and be treated like a princess. I no longer watch GMA because of her.

Edited by Lava VaVoom, Jan 25, 2012 @ 5:22 PM.

reflection5

reflection5

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 25, 2012 @ 7:34 PM

Lava VaVoom you are lucky (well, I guess I'm the lucky one) that I had an early dinner because that story about Lara makes.me. wanna.PUKE. ugh

I don't understand why she is back on GMA. I recall her "Insider" gig (with and without Pat O'Brien, who she called "POB") and then supposedly she was promised Mary Hart's job but it fell thru. So GMA made a place for her.

Edited by reflection5, Jan 25, 2012 @ 7:35 PM.

heirloomtomata

heirloomtomata

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 12:48 PM

Just an update on the contast with CBS This Morning:

Followup coverage today of State of the Union issues, Navy Seals rescue mission, then Gabby Giffords' farewell to the House, Romney/Gingrich comments/speeches and a couple of other subjects that took them up to 7:48 a.m., when I left for work. They give every topic more of a "newsmagazine show" approach so you actually get some info out it. There is nothing dry and boring about this.

They make no secret of the fact that the second hour is where Gayle comes on and things get considerably fluffier, I assume. But an hour of pretty respectable news coverage ought to be expected of a program produced by the News Department. I'm glad CBS chose to go this route.

Back on topic: What did Robin wear today? I didn't catch one second of GMA.

Balboa

Balboa

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 1:25 PM

Anyone else not like Lara Spencer? She comes across as so fake to me.

TheLady2

TheLady2

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

Lara Spencer is the main reason I'm switching channels. I really like Josh and Robin and wasn't happy they added George but the addition of that twit Lara has me heading elsewhere.

isotonerz

isotonerz

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 5:42 PM

Whoever thought up that "Pop News Heat Index" to give Lara something to do should be fired, along with Lara herself.

Alex Bogue

Alex Bogue

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 10:48 AM

I'm not switching channels just because you all dog this show. My parents were 13 and 11 when this show debuted, so I grew up on this show. We even stuck it out during the McRee-Newman era. I'm staying with ABC.

isotonerz

isotonerz

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 5:02 PM

I'm not switching channels just because you all dog this show.

Fine. You donít have to stop watching a show just because some people criticize certain elements of it or because some people donít like everyone on the show.

Anyway . . .this morning yet another appearance from the not funny, annoying Ali Wentworth Ė hawking her crappy book and reminding everyone sheís married to George S. Robinís gushing was shameful. Reviews of Aliís book are mixed, some like it but others say itís full of fart jokes and name-dropping about her family being associated with Richard Nixon (as if thatís something to brag about).

heirloomtomata

heirloomtomata

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2012 @ 10:57 AM

I personally watched the show ever since Charlie Gibson was the host, and I figure that's about 20 years (though I didn't look it up). But now that Disney controls the content, it's just too beneath my interests to "hang in" here. In the past year it's just gotten banal. I love Robin and Josh, but I get a lot more meaningful coverage from the CBS show.

GMA is produced by the News Division of ABC, but it's the philophical choice of Disney to K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid) and entertaining. Why should I have a sentimental attachment to that? It's not doing a damn thing to inform people -- unless you need more information about celebrities, fashion, and adorable YouTube vids.

isotonerz

isotonerz

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2012 @ 6:08 PM

On Monday morning after Whitney Houstonís death They had Celine Dion on the phone reacting. I was disappointed in Celine Ė supposedly WH was her idol but CD went on a long rant about ďwhy do people mess up their lives with drugs?Ē Ė Robin Roberts had to shut her down. Celine is usually a sweet person, but she did not convey any sorrow. At least thatís the way it came off to me.

Enero

Enero

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 12:19 AM

I heard Celine's interview, and I'm going to cut her some slack. Whitney was her idol, and it sounded like she was still reeling from her death. The questions she was asking was/is what many are asking about Whitney. Her comments sounded more like bafflement and disappointment, than scornful judgement.

Granted GMA probably wasn't the best forum for her to try and sort through her disquiet over Whitney's death.

isotonerz

isotonerz

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 8:26 PM

Sick of Nancy Grace's nastiness towards Dan Abrams. She really dug her heels into the ground this morning about her Whitney Houston comments.
Nancy goes off on Dan - again

And thanks again Robin, for the weekly (daily?) Ali/George ass-kissing. Did we really need to see a clip of Ali on Jay Leno plugging her crappy book? Glad I watched Nightline and Jimmy Kimmel.

Edited by isotonerz, Feb 16, 2012 @ 8:27 PM.

Balboa

Balboa

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 6:48 PM

How idiotic were the segments with the anchors spoofing the Oscar nominated movies? So many other things they could be reporting on but they do this within fifteen minutes of going on the air.

I feel so sorry for George. He seems to be the only with any professionalism among all the anchors.

shopper gal

shopper gal

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 9:38 PM

Sick of Nancy Grace's nastiness towards Dan Abrams. She really dug her heels into the ground this morning about her Whitney Houston comments.

I live for their segments. It's probably the best/most awkward TV in the AM. I thought that Dan got her to flapping her gums and realizing she was dead wrong w/ the "who pushed whitney under" BS she was spewing. At one point you could see the Hamster wheel in Nancy's brain careening outta control.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 11:41 AM

Rarely catch GMA but happened across this. Dan provided an easy out and she doubled down, instead of taking it. Did GMA have her back after that? Someone told me DA appeared alone several times. Is she officially gone?

Agree, too funny - I could see her wheels turning when she came up with the "Well, Dan, I loved her more than you" excuse. And why does a fan's love have anything to do with waiting for autopsy results before wildly speculating about the cause of death??

On balance, Dan may appreciate having her come on to bring some attention to his segments. Oh, BTW, loved when she pulled out the typical you've never tried a murder case or been to an autopsy line. You just sit in your Ivory Tower - blah, blah, blah. She knows what she's doing, i.e. attempting to increase the ratings of her atrocious show.

azure4

azure4

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 7:05 PM

Dan was right - Nancy should have simply said "I probably shouldn't have said it." But even something like "Okay, I spoke prematurely" would be out of the question for her. Admit wrongdoing? Not Nancy. I was disgusted listening to her spit hateful words to Dan Abrams. But, that's Nancy Grace.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 7:17 PM

What's NG's connection to ABC/GMA? Were they looking for a good legal pundit? (That's not NG, IMHO.) Why wasn't DA enough to handle the segments? Did DA work with her at Court TV or something? (Never watched it, personally so don't have any idea.) DA and NG friends and previous colleagues from some other network?

If they wanted to set up a point/counter-point type of segment all along, I'm sure all of us could suggest many other legal pundits to competently fill that role opposite DA.

heirloomtomata

heirloomtomata

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:44 AM

Because, even in Disney World, the coarsening of what passes for entertainment has crept in. And GMA/Disney is ALL about the entertainment. apparently, someone believes that Nancy Grace is a draw; however, each of the Morning News shows has a legal analyst, and all of them are more professional and informative than NG. Dan is more than capable, and imho is quite a cutie, so Nancy is not just superfluous, she's a turnoff. Literally!

Alex Bogue

Alex Bogue

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 11:15 PM

I hope someone rich buys ABC again someday.

heirloomtomata

heirloomtomata

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 10:08 AM

I rarely see GMA anymore other than something specific I'm tuning in for. I'm curious whether Dan and Nancy still do the point/counterpoint thing anymore. I've seen him, and I've seen her (briefly), but haven't seen them together since "that day." I'd love it if Dan said "never again," and they capitulated since it's a given that the audience prefers him to her.

fangums

fangums

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 3:38 PM

I saw them together discussing the Dunwoody Daycare trial. At one point she was flat wrong saying something about the jury acquitting him (he'd admitted he did it; the question was whether he was insane) and of course she did not like that he corrected her (how dare he!), and then she was a complete and total snot to him on a point that they agreed on. I was kinda flabbergasted since it was so uncalled for and wasn't even a contentious point. I don't know how that man keeps his composure doing those segments with her.

heirloomtomata

heirloomtomata

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 4:03 PM

I frankly don't see what she allegedly brings to the conversation other than batshit crazybitch rantings. Dan is a very substantial legal and media pro who's been trial-watching and commenting for every bit as long (if not longer) as NG, and whose legal and media resume makes hers look trivial.

Dan is erudite and entertaining in his own right, and Nancy is little more than a freakshow nowadays. After the "Whitney" incident (which is just the latest of her many outrages), I completely detest and avoid her; ABC should reconsider her value as she is an instant channel-changer for plenty of people. I doubt very much that anyone actually tunes in to GMA for a NG moment.

isotonerz

isotonerz

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 5:00 PM

I frankly don't see what she allegedly brings to the conversation other than batshit crazybitch rantings.

Ya got THAT right.

I missed their Dunwoody discussion. Admittedly I'm curious as to what NG thought of Andrea Sneiderman.

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 9:26 AM

What was up with Lara Spencer's 'batwing-themed' outfit this morning? It looked like she was ready for a Halloween show. At first, I thought that the ruffly 'cape' top was part of the dress she was wearing, but then I realized that it was a shade off from the dress and didn't really match (thank you, HD TV). It looked like something that was added as an afterthought. It made the dress she was wearing look like it had been washed too many times and was fading. It might have worked with something else underneath it--or maybe not. Perhaps she wore it as a favor to a friend who sews? (shades of Seinfeld's 'puffy shirt', maybe?)

newsjunkie123

newsjunkie123

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 12:16 PM

What is up with Bianna Golodryga always doing stories on Beyonce? She is a respectable journalist, but Beyonce is not news. And making a pregnant woman report on how good Beyonce looks after having her baby is mean.

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 4:18 PM

I agree with the 'Beyonce as news??!' thing, although I totally didn't notice the irony of having pregnant Bianna report on it! (She looks pretty good, though) Bianna usually seems to get the financial, stock, business, etc. news stories, and she is good at it--to me, she comes across as being fairly knowledgable. I don't feel like she's just reading off of a telepromptr with no real knowledge on the subject. I think she should insist on not having to cover any of the Entertainment Tonight-type stories. Leave those for Lara!

mccurdy

mccurdy

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:14 AM

Like her or hate her, Katie Couric is so natural on morning TV that it makes the awkward, trying-too-hard performances of the others stand out even more than usual. George Stephanopoulos, I'm talking about you. And ESPECIALLY you, Lara Spencer.