Good Morning, America!

• Please log in to reply

1121 replies to this topic

Fraoch

Fraoch

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2004 @ 1:10 PM

I keep reading the Today show thread, even though I never watch it, because the posts are cracking me up. However, the reason I don't have Today on in the morning is because I was raised on GMA--my mom was watching it back in the David Hartman/Joan Lundan days. Is there a lot of fluff on any given day? Sure. Could I do without the annoying weather guy, Tony Roberts? Probably. However, they can occasionally do a serious interview, and the team of Charlie, Diane, Robin, and Tony all seem to actually like each other (unlike on other morning shows).

Am I the sole viewer out there (aside from my mom, that is)?

Sydygirl

Sydygirl

Posted Jul 20, 2004 @ 2:58 PM

No I like GMA too. I think their stories are better, their set is better and as you mentioned they have a great chemistry. We are definitely not the only ones. I hear their number are growing.

el mapache

el mapache

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 21, 2004 @ 2:04 PM

Cool, a GMA thread. I regularly read the 'Today' thread for all the excellent snark, but I actually watch more of 'GMA', which I find less smug and less orange.

Edited by el mapache, Jul 22, 2004 @ 10:17 AM.

Sideshow Al

Sideshow Al

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 21, 2004 @ 2:21 PM

I've always been partial to GMA, largely because there was a time when I only had access to broadcast TV and ABC had the best reception. I stuck it out through the misguided Lisa McRee / Kevin Newman tenure; and when Charlie Gibson and Diane Sawyer took over for them, I was impressed and actually somewhat relieved by their unforced, genuine-appearing chemistry, a chemistry which has continued through the present. No, they don't do as much "hard news" as they probably could, but once you reconcile yourself to the fact that there will be a preponderance of "fluff" pieces, it really is an enjoyable broadcast.

divasahm

divasahm

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 21, 2004 @ 3:44 PM

I'm a GMA watcher married to a CNN American Morning watcher, so I only get to see bits and pieces of GMA every day, but I am a longtime Diane Sawyer fan and there are mornings when I can't listen to anyone's voice but hers. She really has the soothing morning person/intelligent newsperson combo down pat, and a sense of humor to boot. Charlie is a perfect counterpoint, and the whole team is so much less offensive in the morning than the other network morning shows. And they're consistently there, too--American Morning is really good, but you never know who's going to be there on any given day, with Soledad out on maternity leave and Hemmer frequently out on assignment.

I'm not a morning person, but my children are, and GMA helps me wake up in a better mood. That's about the nicest thing you can say about a morning show.

becca656

becca656

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2004 @ 7:32 AM

My morning show when I get to have a morning show is GMA.

Diane has a tendency to get a little too smarmy sometimes, but I do like the chemistry among the first AND second string teams. Even when one of the primes is on vacation, the pleasant, relaxed atmosphere of the show doesn't change. It's a nice constant that I can live with, even if I can't watch every day.

I know this thread isn't that old (only six posts, maybe?) but I bet it'll be far less controversial than the Today thread. Because these guys actually have a good show.

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted Jul 25, 2004 @ 12:38 PM

I liked it when they had Lionel Richie in concert on Friday. It was great.

SuspiciousMind

SuspiciousMind

Posted Jul 30, 2004 @ 5:54 PM

Okay, this is just snarkedy-snark-snark and nitpicky (I'm perimenopausal), but it's been driving me insane lately how when Diane has to read from her notes, she finishes off by looking down at the notes or looking to the side for an extended amount of time. The camera stays on her, with her not looking into it, while Charlie's off and running on the next story.

AAUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHH!

I do love me some GMA, though. They rock. Other than this (and Tony Perkins having to shout his weather forecasts above the "WHOOOOOOOO" of onlookers) I do enjoy GMA. Robin Roberts is THE BEST. I adore her.

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted Aug 2, 2004 @ 9:51 PM

Yeah, Tony Perkins is a really annoying weatherman.

Today I caught a segment where some reporter guy and his family drove cross-country in an RV. Are they trying to imitate the Today show, which recently also had a cross-country road trip in an RV?

Fraoch

Fraoch

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2004 @ 11:33 AM

[shallow]I really, really like the way Robin Roberts dresses. I don't think I've ever seen her in something that wasn't flattering, yet she doesn't sacrifice looking professional, either (*cough*KatieCouric*cough*). [/shallow]

SuspiciousMind

SuspiciousMind

Posted Aug 3, 2004 @ 1:08 PM

Ab-so-lutely, Fraoch, absolutely. You are right on the money on that. Also, I would kill for any of Robin's super-cool necklaces.

Meems

Meems

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2004 @ 1:17 PM

Word on the superiority of GMA over Today.

But [small voice] I like Tony Perkins.[/sv] I grew up watching him on my local Fox morning show (in DC). I'll always have a soft spot for him.

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 3, 2004 @ 1:42 PM

There is a huge difference between the two shows, and it really starts with the difference between Katie and Diane. (Matt and Charlie are pretty much interchangeable to me...both pleasant, harmless types.)

Katie is so flashy and shrill and all-about-me, while Diane exudes such a mellow, elegant vibe. I happen to think Diane is just drop-dead gorgeous yet I never notice her hair or clothes or makeup. It's just an overall feeling of class and breeding. Katie? Not so much.

I know many people dislike Diane because of that breathy, faux-sincere edge she gets in her voice on the multitude of "terminally ill child" or "date-rape drug" stories they do, but I'll take that any day over Katie's crass vulgarity.

SuspiciousMind

SuspiciousMind

Posted Aug 4, 2004 @ 5:43 PM

I know many people dislike Diane because of that breathy, faux-sincere edge she gets in her voice on the multitude of "terminally ill child" or "date-rape drug" stories they do, but I'll take that any day over Katie's crass vulgarity.

I second that emotion, sticky.

WBCnotes

WBCnotes

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 10, 2004 @ 7:27 PM

I was always a fan of ABC, GMA...but recently I have turned over to CBS Early Show and I am impressed with the show. I like the three people (minus Julie) especially Rene Syler. She is really great. Is she not the only Af American News Anchor on the networks right now? However, I never see any news or magazine articles about her...I wonder why? Harry is so relaxing and non-treatning. I wish he was in Dan Rather's chair! No for Julie, I am not a fan of her's especially since she is the love in interest of the President of CBS. Makes you think that is the only reason she got her job. Hanah Storm...so refreshing as well. I would suggest anyone who has not given it a look...do that because I think you will be surprised!

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted Aug 21, 2004 @ 11:32 AM

What does everybody think about GMA starting a weekend edition this fall? They've been promoting it heavily with Bill Weir on the show a lot. I hope it will be good competition for the weekend Today show.

kdboo

kdboo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 22, 2004 @ 8:36 PM

GMA used to have a Sunday edition of their show with Bill Ritter and Willow Bay for 4 or 5 years in the '90s before they cancelled it. I hope GMA sticks with it this time.

Anthia

Anthia

Posted Aug 30, 2004 @ 1:55 PM

I love GMA and the four host are the reason why. They all just seem like sweet down home people.

ThreeCs

ThreeCs

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 31, 2004 @ 10:24 AM

I'm a big GMA fan. I don't get to watch as often as I like, but I do enjoy the show. Robin Roberts ROCKS!!

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted Sep 7, 2004 @ 9:27 AM

Whoa. So did anybody else see Tony Perkins wearing a patch/bandage over his left eye today? He explained that during Hurricane Frances, some dust got into his eye and scratched his cornea. He should heal in 24 hours. Still, it was quite jarring to see him like that.

auntsills

auntsills

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 8, 2004 @ 9:31 PM

GMA is fabulous. Love Diane, Love Robin, Tony and Charlie.

What I find the most hilarious is when they are doing a segment that ends up being funny, and you hear Tony Perkins off in the background just howling. It then makes the A team (including Robin because she is just awesome) laugh even harder, especially Diane. Seems like they all really do get along.

cbs2news

cbs2news

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 9, 2004 @ 3:50 PM

GMA just changed their set after Labor Day. I like the old set better because it seemed to feel more cozy. I also like the Weekend Edition of GMA with Bill Weir (former KABC-TV Los Angeles Sportscaster), Kate Snow (ABC News Correspondent), Marysol Castro with Weather (former WPIX-TV New York traffic reporter), and Ron Claibourne (ABC News Correspondent. Now, "Good things are happening everyday of the week." ABC News finally came up with something to combat Weekend Today.

Edited by cbs2news, Sep 9, 2004 @ 3:52 PM.

JuliaMac

JuliaMac

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2004 @ 9:44 AM

All morning long GMA had "Breaking News: Christopher Reeve dies". If my morning newspaper has the information on the front page, then it isn't breaking news.

MissTulip

MissTulip

Posted Oct 11, 2004 @ 6:56 PM

Has anyone noticed that Charlie shakes? Just a little but it almost looks to me as though he is in an early stage of Parkinson's. Wondering if anyone else had noticed as well...

lili

lili

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 12, 2004 @ 12:29 PM

Yes, I have noticed. I made a comment to my husband during the Presidential debates about it. Charlie was moderator if you didn't see it. That would be so sad, I really like him.

BibiBella

BibiBella

Posted Oct 12, 2004 @ 3:07 PM

MissTulip, I have noticed it a bit...but then I think Tom Brokaw kinda 'shakes' too - but in his case, I think he must be sitting on a chair that's never completely steady (although that doesn't make sense, does it?!)...watch Tom and you'll see what I mean.

I hope Charlie is OK - he seems like such a nice guy and from folks say (that I know) who have been in the 'studio audience' at GMA, he is very warm and friendly when they go downstairs and chat with folks.

MelsW

MelsW

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 12, 2004 @ 3:35 PM

I always watch GMA in the morning, well at least the first 20 minutes of it before I have to head out to work. Katie Couric (a.k.a. Perky McPerkington) and Al Roker are just intolerable, especially at such an early hour in the morning.

I like how Robin, Diane and Charlie all seem to genuinely like each other. It seems that Diane and Robin really crack each other up, which I love. GMA is also home to my TV boyfriend, correspondent Dan Harris, also sometimes the second string news guy.

SuspiciousMind

SuspiciousMind

Posted Oct 13, 2004 @ 11:53 AM

Did anyone else see the sad news this morning that Robin Roberts' dad died suddenly yesterday (Tuesday, 10/12)? My heart goes out to her and her family -- what a shock! It seems like Mr. and Mrs. Roberts were JUST on during the hurricane threat(s) and both looked happy and healthy ... Robin must just be reeling.

My condolences to her, her mother, and the rest of her family. I should check the GMA website to see if they've put up a "guest book" where people can email their thoughts to Robin.

MelsW

MelsW

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 13, 2004 @ 12:26 PM

I caught that this morning as well (about Robin's father). So sad, especially since it was so sudden.

BibiBella

BibiBella

Posted Oct 13, 2004 @ 1:39 PM

That is so sad about Robin's dad -- but one neat thing for her is that last year (I think) when the GMA hosts did something they'd always wanted to do, Robin went and flew at Tuskagee (sp?) where her father had flown as one of few black vets during some period way in the past (sorry, my memory of this is weak)...I just remember that her dad was there (on the ground) when she did this and she had tears when talking about how happy she was to get to experience what he had done and how proud she was of him...I'm sure this is a very, very special memory that will mean even more now that he's gone...