Smallville

• Please log in to reply

10739 replies to this topic

Bezerker

Bezerker

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2014 @ 11:55 AM

Clark seemed to get into the habit of lying (or being very evasive) about anything that had anything to do with him being an alien, even indirectly. Even when the connection was so small it almost didn't exist, and the chances of anyone figuring out his origins if he told the truth were about zero, he would lie. And people usually knew he was lying or being evasive, which made them more suspicious (what was he trying to hide?) than him just telling the truth would have.

The problem was it was annoying repetitive drama.

How hard would it have been for Clark in Rush or Red to say:

I am sorry Lana, I somehow got hooked up on something that made me loose judgement and do crazy things, please forgive me.

In this case Clark isn't lieing or being elusive and it would have avoided a whole bunch of drama that ensues after the fact when Clark just looks at Lana with a blank stare and says nothing.  It was as if the producers looked for an excuse to cause angst or tension for the sake of causing angst or tension

Frelling Tralk

Frelling Tralk

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2014 @ 7:35 AM

I wonder too if the writers thought that it made Clark come across as more pure and honest if he couldn't lie well, perhaps they wanted to differentiate between him and how smoothly Lex could tell a lie and cover-up what he was doing? I guess that it wouldn't be considered such an heroic trait if Clark was a really good liar. Still the fact that he used to be so evasive and/or lie straight to his friend's faces, and then get annoyed at Lex and Chloe (not so much Lana, there he would just mope and look sad lol) whenever they would question him just made him look entitled to me that he would expect his friends to swallow everything that he told them, even when he lied as poorly as he did and never seemed to put any effort whatsoever into come up with a good cover story

Edited by Frelling Tralk, Feb 23, 2014 @ 7:37 AM.

manbearpig

manbearpig

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2014 @ 8:57 AM

Clark's extreme reactions to people's questions or people looking into his lies or shady past were insane, especially when you consider that he investigated people with meteor powers in almost every episode. Understandable considering the magnitude of his secret, but it could get irritating to watch for me.

Bezerker

Bezerker

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2014 @ 1:53 PM

I think the problem with all the secrets and lies drama is it makes an interesting story the first time they do it, but as you continue to rehash it over and over, it starts getting tiring fast then it starts making the characters look bad in the process.  There is no reason Lana shouldn't have found out the secret at the end of Season 2 for instance but the show for whatever reason didn't want to do that so they kept finding stupid reasons to keep them apart and have Clark not tell her anything.

My theory on why Lana never found out the secret was the producers were so hellbent on doing Lex/Lana sometime down the line, they didn't want her in on the secret so they just kept having to find ways to keep Clark and Lana apart in the meantime.

ChicagoRedshirt

ChicagoRedshirt

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2014 @ 10:39 PM

Come to think of it, there should have probably been a plot where the government was investigating the plethora of K-freaks. I know that there were the Luthors that were doing all the research that they were, but really, when you have these green glowing rocks around for 10-14 years, and all sorts of instances of people gaining weird abilities, one would think that there'd be more official investigations than the handful we saw.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2014 @ 11:05 PM

Yeah really. Where were Mulder and Scully?

Bezerker

Bezerker

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 25, 2014 @ 4:02 AM

Come to think of it, there should have probably been a plot where the government was investigating the plethora of K-freaks. I know that there were the Luthors that were doing all the research that they were, but really, when you have these green glowing rocks around for 10-14 years, and all sorts of instances of people gaining weird abilities, one would think that there'd be more official investigations than the handful we saw.

Why would you have interesting drama like that when you could have Clark and Lana suffer over secrets and lies for the umteenth time

Frelling Tralk

Frelling Tralk

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2014 @ 8:35 AM

Heh yeah it's funny that supposedly Clark and the Kent's had to lie about Clark's secret because the government would have been investigating him like a shot otherwise, yet the officials seemed to take very little notice of all the strange happenings being reported on in Smallville. Even when Eric from Leech was openly using Clark's powers it seemed more something that caught the papers interest and calling him superboy, rather than any indication that the US government considered him a threat to national security and wanted to dissect him and run experiments, if I'm remembering this correctly he only get turned on because his Dad freaked out and called Belle Reeve?

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Feb 25, 2014 @ 10:12 AM

Come to think of it, there should have probably been a plot where the government was investigating the plethora of K-freaks.

I'm actually okay with a genre show not doing every story they could possibly do, even the ones that seem like they'd probably happen if the show was real. Even if I think a show could've done a storyline really well, I can also see how bringing in certain things might change the entire tone of the show, and why the writers didn't want to go in that direction. 

And when it comes to Smallville, I more wish they'd done better with the storylines they did do, rather than wishing they'd brought in even more storylines to not do very well. 

Bezerker

Bezerker

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 25, 2014 @ 2:39 PM

Heh yeah it's funny that supposedly Clark and the Kent's had to lie about Clark's secret because the government would have been investigating him like a shot otherwise, yet the officials seemed to take very little notice of all the strange happenings being reported on in Smallville. Even when Eric from Leech was openly using Clark's powers it seemed more something that caught the papers interest and calling him superboy, rather than any indication that the US government considered him a threat to national security and wanted to dissect him and run experiments, if I'm remembering this correctly he only get turned on because his Dad freaked out and called Belle Reeve?

I think the one that stands out to me is Exile, it's easy enough to imagine Smallville is it's own small little world and the town the government forgot, but when Clark went on a robbing bank spree, just breaking in with little trouble(all which is caught on cameras) in metropolis, all of a sudden that would get a lot of attention from the media and the Feds.

I do think the Government vs Clark could have been a hell of alot more entertaining then alot of stuff Smallville tried to pass of as "drama"(generally it seemed they went for the romantic stuff as a main source of drama).   I don't think the producers would be happy unless Clark was whining and moping to be honest(which sadly would most likely be included in a Government vs Clark storyline, because that's how the producer roll)

And when it comes to Smallville, I more wish they'd done better with the storylines they did do, rather than wishing they'd brought in even more storylines to not do very well.

I think many of the stories Smallville did do were rather unsalvageable(Lexana, Clark screws up and loses his powers only to get them back and have his dad die, Clark has issues with every character after the events of Exile, Jor-El)

I think Smallville was bad at beating a dead horse when it came to their storylines, Gov vs Clark would have been something different if nothing else.

Edited by Bezerker, Feb 25, 2014 @ 2:50 PM.

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Feb 25, 2014 @ 4:00 PM

I think Smallville was bad at beating a dead horse when it came to their storylines, Gov vs Clark would have been something different if nothing else.

Given SV's track record, the chances that they would've handled any other storyline any better are kind of slim. And they actually did many storylines that qualified as new and different when they started them. But being different didn't help make them any better.

MercerLLL

MercerLLL

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 27, 2014 @ 3:38 PM

I'm just guessing here, but I suspect the prospect of the government targeting teenagers likely isn't something that would have gone over well. Granted, I tended to assume the government was involved, but on a more covert level. They did clean up the meteor rock and proclaimed Smallville safe. Belle Reve is also a state run facility, so having all the meteor infected who got out of hand sent there seems like some kind of planned intervention. 

Bkwurm

Bkwurm

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2014 @ 4:52 PM

There was some direct government involvement.  In season seven they went after Kara, but she kind of put herself ON their radar.  The government was also going after Chloe for hacking satillites while later looking for Kara.  In both cases Lex got involved and in Kara's case protected her and in Chloe's case twisted the scenario around to the point where I'm not sure what the level of government involvement was.  The government again shows up in season 9, but in a more subtle way with Checkmate and then blatantly in season ten with the ant- vigilante laws.

pootlus

pootlus

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2014 @ 5:30 PM

In season seven they went after Kara, but she kind of put herself ON their radar.

Literally.

Assuming the military has radar sensitive enough, of course.

Bezerker

Bezerker

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2014 @ 3:29 AM

In season seven they went after Kara, but she kind of put herself ON their radar.

You don't think Clark put himself on the radar in Exile?

Bkwurm

Bkwurm

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2014 @ 7:29 AM

Specifically I was referring to Kara breaking into their facility, not just flaunting her powers.  Not saying it wouldn't have been logical for the government to take an interest a lot sooner in Clark, just that Kara was even more overt about it. 

Bezerker

Bezerker

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2014 @ 12:20 PM

Specifically I was referring to Kara breaking into their facility, not just flaunting her powers.  Not saying it wouldn't have been logical for the government to take an interest a lot sooner in Clark, just that Kara was even more overt about it.

I am pretty sure a guy robbing banks by just breaking doors down like twigs then with standing 100s of bullets would get alot of public attention and attention of the government.  Sadly it seems like in that episode the Kents couldn't put one and one together that maybe the guy robbing banks was their son(either that or they don't have a TV or read a newspaper). lol

Bkwurm

Bkwurm

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2014 @ 1:06 PM

Moved from the Arrow thread: 

The conversation sparked after I expressed my belief that a good enough actor can rise above crappy writing. 

Bezerker:  I disagree, crappy writing is crappy writing no matter how good the acting is.  I think a good example using Smallville for me is I thought all the actors gave an "A" performance acting wise in the episode "Promise" yet to me that is the worst episode ever on the series due to storyline alone(and I would argue their was alot of other things in that episode that would be better then normal for the show(camera work, writing style, etc), but still the storyline ruined any good mojo I might have for those things).  If I was rating Promise on everything but actual plot, it would probably rank top 10 episodes ever for Smallville

I feel some of the actors could have been favorably judged independently for their acting skills in Promise, some rose up to make the crappy writing more acceptable (a little - it is "Promise" so there wasn't much for anyone to work with) while others failed to be believable at all. 

Take Lex.  Lex acted desperately out of character but I felt his desperation and fear and longing even while I rejected the portrayal as "not consistent with Lex Luthor"  Rosenbaum as an actor did an excellent job in Promise, but yes, was a victim of the crappy writing making it all pointless. 

In the case of AoT, JG, and AM, I think all of them too were given crappy, out of character material, but that they IMO managed to find something in the crap to stress to make their actions somehow slightly consistent with their characters.   AoT made her advice come from seeing her son so unhappy and trying to comfort and give him hope. I felt this not from her words but from her expression and the way she looked at her son.   Chloe berated Clark for not saving Lana (a complete about face from earlier) but AM managed to make her actions not about saving Lana from her bad choices but Clark being her personal hero.  The dialogue was IMO soooo clunky and heavy handed but when I watched AM, I believed Chloe could have saved up hope deep down that Clark could sweep in at the last minute and make everything better.  Then there was Lionel.   Lionel IMO also had  weird and all over the place characterization but JG had long since mastered the art of playing Lionel with enough mystery that I just accepted that their was stuff was going on that I didn't yet know.  As actors, I felt they rose above the crappy writing. 

That was not the case IMO for TW or KK which was a bigger problem since they both carried the majority of the episode.  I felt that neither TW or KK had the acting skills needed to make Promise believable.  The writing was the crappiest of a long line of crappy but what didn't work for me wasn't just the absurd about faces and out of nowhere motivation, it was the fact that emotionally I did not connect with the actors.  I do think TW tried to up his game but KK lacked any subtlety or nuance in her reactions which meant for me that the whole episode felt like a bad parody including overacting by the leading lady.

SHe put on the worst happy face I have ever seen.  Yes KK portrayed Lana's sadness very well as the Limo was pulling away, but the scene cried out for something IMO far more nuanced and subtle.  I couldn't even make myself believe that seeing the abject misery on Lana's face and in her eyes as she walked down the aisle that Lex would have gone through with the wedding.  Her "good" acting didn't work IMO even just within the context of the episode. 

Since the leads IMO failed to make me connect with them, I would rate Promise as a stand alone episode nothing higher than a C+.  Choppy and confusing timeline.  Obscure character motivation coupled with even within the episode out of character reaction (like Chloe really searching for Lana and worrying to Lex that she wasn't to show up.  Chloe should have/would have noted her absence and then stalled to give her time to make her get away, not marched right to Lex to comfort him.)  Wooden side characters (Aunt Nell) and over the top plot twists.  Yeah, Promise is still one of the worst episodes in my opinion all around.    

DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2014 @ 10:56 AM

I had to pop back into this thread and thank you all for the brilliant discussions - this show was only fun to sit through at a certain point because of all of you.  Could never have kept watching it on my own with no one to turn to for mental support!

Can we keep discussing it over at PreviouslyTV?

Bkwurm

Bkwurm

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2014 @ 1:26 PM

I just sent a forum request for Smallville over at Previously.TV   They are getting a lot of traffic with all the TWoP refugees but seem to be doing a great job of staring up new show requests, so I expect we should have a place to post pretty soon. 

MidnightFrost

MidnightFrost

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2014 @ 5:38 PM

I'll definitely be watching the previously.tv thread. Although I didn't visit this thread until after I'd finished the show, it's really helped me articulate my complicated feelings about Smallville and extract something positive from the utter shitshow SV became. So a big thank you to y'all for that!

DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2014 @ 5:47 PM

Oh MidnightFrost...you said it better than I did!  ;)

SteveWright

SteveWright

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2014 @ 7:46 PM

I just had to stop in and say hello and thank you. This site is what started my online addictions. between the forums and Omar G's recaps I couldn't get enough. Fair thee well Twop...it was a blast!!

pootlus

pootlus

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2014 @ 7:59 PM

Well, Omar G is over on previously.tv - I'm not sure his trauma has decreased to the point where he'd be posting in a SV thread though :)

Cynthia187

Cynthia187

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2014 @ 9:43 PM

I had some good times in the Smallville forums during the early seasons. Omar's recaps, GAYLE, and Miss Anvil.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2014 @ 11:28 PM

I've come to pay my respects. Also, I'm here to say that Lois was a bigger pain in the ass than Lana, and even more so than Laurel Lance on Arrow. And Smallville is a cautionary tale about how the road to mediocrity is paved with good intentions.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2014 @ 12:28 PM

I just came to say hi to everyone. I was a Chloiser back in the day, even wrote a  letter, till the show just broke my heart and I had to quit cold Turkey for my sanity. But I admire all of you and am sad that all of that is going to be lost. 

MissL

MissL

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 9:08 AM

Hey I need help. I don't remember which Omar episode recap he went completely nuts on Lana and told her to shut up repeatedly?  I need to make a copy before they shut the site down. Grrr. I can't believe they aren't making the recaps available somewhere. What a waste.

Never mind. Through the power of the internet search I found it!  For those of you who may never have experienced it. The classic Omar G rant from the Rosetta recap.  I believe I laughed for a full 10 minutes after reading this.  I miss Omar G.

"Looks like we've been abandoned," says Lex to Lana. "The story of my life," Lana says. Shut up! SHUT UP! I've taken this shit for thirty-eight episodes, just SHUT! THE FUCK! UP! Oh my god, SHUT UP! (Deep breaths. Deep breaths.) I'm sorry. I don't know what happened there, I just...LANA SHUT UP! Lex doesn't respond. In fact, he looks as annoyed as I am. 

Edited by MissL, Apr 1, 2014 @ 5:03 PM.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 8:52 PM

In case anyone didn't know, Tom Welling is in the new movie "Draft Day" with Kevin Costner.

ratman

ratman

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 2:05 AM

Just wanted to add my final goodbye to the Smallville forums.  And in particular to those of you involved in Castville, the at-times brilliant, at-times madness-inducing revised seasons of what Smallville would have been if our twisted versions of the cast wrote the story. Good times.

And now to put Stompy the Wonder Horse out to pasture.