Smallville

• Please log in to reply

10739 replies to this topic

MidnightFrost

MidnightFrost

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 2:39 AM

benteen: Also on IGN, Bryan Miller discusses the Smallville Season 11 comic...

http://comics.ign.co.../1221300p1.html

Harrumph. Doesn't sound very promising for Tess making a miraculous comeback. So the odds of me spending money on this comic aren't very promising either.

MercerLLL

MercerLLL

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:30 AM

Doesn't sound very promising for Tess making a miraculous comeback.

No, it doesn't, although I'm glad I know in advance so I don't keep hoping and waiting issue to issue for her to return. I'm still going to read them, though.

No, it doesn't, although I'm glad I know in advance so I don't keep hoping and waiting issue to issue for her to return. I'm still going to read them, though.

zomb

zomb

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:47 PM

Well, at least I got those episodes I DVR from her gig on the Vampire Diaries, its not nearly the same thing as the actual Tess but it'll have to do until she actually is featured on the comics.

MercerLLL

MercerLLL

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 5:19 PM

The first issue of Season 11 came out today! Not a whole lot happens, but I thought it was a great way to start things off. Especially amused with both Oliver and Lex not being able to start their day without seeing Clark first.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 6:07 PM

Especially amused with both Oliver and Lex not being able to start their day without seeing Clark first.

The more things change...

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

They released the first issue online, right?

The motto for this comic should be "Angst Forever!" I wonder if Clark is finally going to learn to do things on his own.

MercerLLL

MercerLLL

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 3:12 PM

They'll all be released online first, then in print about a month later.

Clark is more than acting on his own already.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 3:41 PM

Clark is more than acting on his own already.

Does hilarity ensue as a result? ;)

Thanks for the update. I think I'll check it out later in the week.

Edited by benteen, Apr 15, 2012 @ 3:42 PM.

MidnightFrost

MidnightFrost

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 8:43 PM

MercerLLL: They'll all be released online first, then in print about a month later.

Well, if it's out in time for Free Comic Book Day (May 5th), then I'll probably pick it up. If not, we'll see.

MercerLLL

MercerLLL

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 5:12 PM

The in-print release date is May 2nd.

Independent

Independent

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:24 AM

I know. It's been a year, but it still grates.
10 Most Controversial Finales

MidnightFrost

MidnightFrost

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

Independent: I know. It's been a year, but it still grates.

Indeed. That list got me thinking about how I'd rank my dissatisfaction with the finale against other shows from the list. Besides Smallville, I've watched Enterprise, BSG, and Xena. I'm still not sure how I feel about the BSG finale, and the Enterprise finale just made me sad for the actors. Smallville's finale left me with a feeling of profound and utter disgust. Disgust at everything they'd screwed up in the last couple of seasons and disgust that they couldn't even manage a good standalone episode with their finale. Finally, disgust with TW for his refusal to wear the suit, whatever his reasons (and no reason I can think of could possibly be good enough). My overall hatred for Smallville's finale is probably the highest of the 4 from, although it's worth noting that Xena's finale left me feeling more emotionally gutted than any television show ever has (even though I actually knew almost all of the plot points ahead of time). Xena's finale was actually an ok episode if I ignore the incredibly depressing ending. But Smallville's just exemplified everything that was wrong with the series by the end. They made it so very easy to hate.

Bezerker

Bezerker

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 12:01 PM

I know. It's been a year, but it still grates.

To be perfectly honest I had no major issues with the final. To me the show screwed up so many things starting around the time of the Season 2 final, that I just wanted a nice ending for the most part(which I do think we got). I could have lived without the fake marriage(which wasted the first hour) but the TW not wearing a Superman suit wasn't that big on my must see list(I sort of expected it). I know alot of people will point to Lex being a big negative, but the way I looked at it the show set up a bad ending no matter what they did with how they handled Lex in the Pilot episode(ie I don't think there is anyway they could have came up with an ending that would satisfy everybody(ie comic book readers such as myself or fans of the shows take of Lex and Clark)).

Personally if I was producing on the show I would have made a S8 plot of Tess finds Lex and rehabilitates him back to health(basically have 1 scene every few episodes about this plot) and they introduce the new and improved Lex in the S8 final(complete with a new actor who you could easily find an excuse why he looks different) and have new Lex be the villain of S9 and 10. I think the show was so hellbent that only MR could play Lex that they let this plot slip through there hands.

No way does the Finale rank as my favorite episode of the series, but the last hour was entertaining so I give it a thumbs up, since that's all I asked for.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:33 PM

My annoyance at not truly seeing Superman aside, my annoyance with the finale was that I thought it represented Smallville at its worst. After coming to peace with his father's death several times, we see Clark still not at peace with it. The world is falling apart and he spends 90 minutes of Clark jerking around, doing nothing. We spend time on a wedding that never gets completed, we get more one-punch fights, we get a LONG series montage right before one of these pathetic fights, etc. To me, it just represented what was bad about Smallville. Not to mention how this show had spent ten years forming their own story and threw it all away at the last second in a jarring attempt to line things up with the comic mythos. Clark and Lois inexplicably not married after seven years, Lex loses his memory, doubt as to whether Chloe and Oliver are still married, etc.

MercerLLL

MercerLLL

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 5:28 PM

Issue #3 of Season 11 came out today. I'm still really pleased with the way things are going.
Spoiler
I know not everyone still cares, but I highly encourage checking the series out.

MidnightFrost

MidnightFrost

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:37 AM

Thanks for the heads up (behind spoiler bars), MercerLLL. I'll definitely be looking for issue #1 on Free Comic Book Day.

MercerLLL

MercerLLL

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 3:27 PM

Thanks for the heads up (behind spoiler bars), MercerLLL. I'll definitely be looking for issue #1 on Free Comic Book Day.

That particular spoiler happens in issue #2 and will probably be picked up on in issue #4 this week. I'll keep you updated. :)

MercerLLL

MercerLLL

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:58 AM

The first issue print release of Season 11 is on sale today! It includes the first three digital issues, extra content such as character designs and an episode guide for those new to the Smallville universe, all for $3.99. Check out your local comic shop!

Bezerker

Bezerker

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:12 AM

Just out of curiosity, what is the episode guide like? Do they just list episodes or do they actually have descriptions for them.

MidnightFrost

MidnightFrost

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:33 AM

I happened to be at the comic store today for something else and saw the SV issue. I didn't inspect it closely, but it did feel heftier than the usual comic book. Now I know why. They appeared to only have one left, but I still plan to drop by this Saturday and see if they have a copy I can get without giving my $3.99 to those people. After that, we'll see.

If there are any other extremely cynical, bitter fans who hated Clark by the end and can tell me what they think of it, I'm especially interested in that perspective...

Bezerker

Bezerker

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:50 AM

If there are any other extremely cynical, bitter fans who hated Clark by the end and can tell me what they think of it, I'm especially interested in that perspective...

Something tells me the people who disliked SV!Clark aren't going to be buying the comic on a whole. I personally don't understand myself how anybody could watch the show disliking Clark. The characters on average was on like 18+ minutes every episode, it's basically hard not to avoid him. I am not going to lie and say I loved everything the show did with his character but in general my hate generally went on the other characters I felt brought his character down(such as Lana, Chloe or Jor-El) although I know an unbiased viewpoint could lay blame on the way Clark was written at times that he was the problem more then the people he was written with

MercerLLL

MercerLLL

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

Just out of curiosity, what is the episode guide like? Do they just list episodes or do they actually have descriptions for them.

I'm hoping to pick up the issue after I see "The Avengers" tomorrow afternoon, so I'll let you know.

I personally don't understand myself how anybody could watch the show disliking Clark.

And you've been on this forum how long now? :)

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:46 PM

I read the issue yesterday and really enjoyed it. Clark is definitely not an annoying douche here, like on the show.

MidnightFrost

MidnightFrost

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:52 AM

So Free Comic Book Day doesn't work the way I thought it would. Rather than getting any comic of my choice for free, there was a limited selection, and all of the titles seemed to be written specifically for FCBD. My shop was also sold out of Smallville and didn't expect to get any more. So I'll have to either have them special order it or check places like Barnes and Noble... Sigh.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 6:29 PM

You ever try tfaw.com? It's a website where you can buy comics and have them shipped to you.

Edited by benteen, May 5, 2012 @ 6:29 PM.

MidnightFrost

MidnightFrost

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 8:35 PM

benteen: You ever try tfaw.com? It's a website where you can buy comics and have them shipped to you.

Thanks! SV is currently backordered, but this could be useful for other issues my shop doesn't carry.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 1:18 AM

I peeked through the issue. It's . . . I don't know. I look at this Superman, and he looks like Tom Weiling. And when I think Tom Weiling, I think of all the years of moping and whining, and I think, "That CAN'T be Superman!" Even if he's doing Superman stuff like flying into space, outracing bullets and leaping tall buildings, it's still that Clark.

Also: does this "series" need to be called Smallville? Clark lives in Metropolis now. The farm now consists of Shelby, some confused cattle, and the Jedi blue ghost of Bo Kent.

MercerLLL

MercerLLL

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

Also: does this "series" need to be called Smallville?

Yes, because it's a continuation of the TV series. I know many people felt the name didn't apply for the last few seasons of it, either, but it stuck and the comics should accurately reflect its continuity.

NicolaofEarth

NicolaofEarth

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 5:54 PM

I know many people felt the name didn't apply for the last few seasons of it, either, but it stuck and the comics should accurately reflect its continuity.

Smallville had no continuity whatsoever lol, why should the comics make any difference?
Lack of storyline and character consistency was arguably the show's biggest flaw - laughable at times, frustrating at others. It was like watching a random blob of events only glued together by the occasional mytho reference/cameo to distract audiences away from the fact that the show on a whole was poorly written.

Perhaps the most embarrassing example of Smallville's lack of attention to detail is the character backstories. Lex once stated that during his mother's battle with cancer he hired all the best doctors to take care of her, and was so busy concentrating on getting her better that he wasn't with her when she passed. This would have been really touching...if, according to the timeline, Lex hadn't been merely 10 years old at the time, and hadn't found out about his mother's death through a pushy reporter, as recalled by Lex himself. Stupid.

Flyingwoman

Flyingwoman

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 11:25 PM

I peeked through the issue. It's . . . I don't know. I look at this Superman, and he looks like Tom Weiling. And when I think Tom Weiling, I think of all the years of moping and whining, and I think, "That CAN'T be Superman!" Even if he's doing Superman stuff like flying into space, outracing bullets and leaping tall buildings, it's still that Clark.

I think "all in a day's work" was what did it for me. Who is this guy and what has he done with Smallville's Clark Kent?