• Please log in to reply

4450 replies to this topic

jerry

jerry

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2004 @ 4:14 AM

From CourtTV.com:

July 12 – 15 at 11pm E/P

The trial of Scott Peterson for the murder of his wife Laci and their unborn son, once declared a "slam dunk" by prosecutors, is as uncertain as ever. Court TV anchor and former prosecutor Nancy Grace looks at where the case stands now in a series of LIVE prime time specials.

Well, look who got her own show... for a week.

When I went to CourtTV's website to get the story on Nancy Grace's show, I found a wonderful list of the contradictory statements Peterson has made, as testified about from various witnesses. They didn't address it tonight, so I won't mention it, but it was eye-opening so I hope they get to it sometime soon.

Anyway, I've been looking forward to this show, since I saw the promos last week. The hour did fly by, but I didn't hear anything exciting and not much new. Quite a bit of it was rehashing what I already know. I should expect that, I suppose, since it's an hour long, but really... why am I still hearing from Juror #5?!

stlouischili

stlouischili

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2004 @ 12:34 PM

Well, it's about time Nancy Grace got a show like this. Even if it's pnly for a week. Hopefully it will do well and they will keep it on.

I really enjoyed Nancy telling what happened in court yesterday. I like that she talked about what the jurors were doing and their reactions to various things.

The guests had a very interesting discussion too.

I used to watch shows like this during the OJ trial. This is one of the few that is on now telling courtroom coverage from each day.

Did I mention I hope it stays on?

jerry

jerry

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2004 @ 12:44 PM

Last night, Nancy mentioned that Gloria Allred's absence from the courtroom is a good clue that Amber's not testifying this week. Maybe these specials were intended to coincide with Amber's testimony. If so, they might stretch it or do the same thing whenever Amber finally does take the stand.

koevu

koevu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 14, 2004 @ 1:06 PM

I'm glad I found this thread. I didn't know this show was on until I saw this. Thank you. I'll be watching tonight. Love me some Nancy Grace. Scott Peterson is quilty as hell IMHO, but, I have a stomach-churning fear that he is going to walk ala O.J. and the thought of that happening makes me sick. He looks like a smug, arrogant jerk. I know that doesn't make him a murderer, but, geez, he's not the loving, sweet guy his parents think he is.

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2004 @ 1:12 PM

This is one of the few that is on now telling courtroom coverage from each day.

I like Court TV (although they really do need to get some new episodes of The System and Forensic Files) but it was so much better when it first started and all they did was cover trials, morning, noon and night. I remember fondly watching those crazy-ass, whored-up Asian twin sisters (one tried to have the other murdered). Especially when one twin was so doped up she almost fell out of the witness box. Live TV. Nothin' better.

I can't decide whether I like Nancy Grace or not. I tend to be more conservative in these matters, so in that sense I usually agree with her. But she's so militant and rude about it, I find her hard to take. I'm sorry her fiancé was murdered and all, but there's still that itsy bitsy teeny weeny little thing about "innocent until proven guilty". Although when it comes to Scott Petersen, she can't belittle him enough as far as I'm concerned. She and Mark Geragos used to really get into it on Larry King Live.

jerry

jerry

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2004 @ 1:27 PM

I like Nancy on her daytime show and on Larry King Live, but watching this prime time special, I've become super sensitive to her interrupting the guests.

I don't think this is new, but it rankled me that the former prosecutor guy was making a point she agreed with and she chimed in before he could finish. I'd really like to hear him complete a thought.

Devetaki

Devetaki

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 14, 2004 @ 4:26 PM

I love Nancy Grace, I miss seeing her regularly on Court TV. Catherine Crier is OK, but I much preferred Nancy myself. I too worry about this trial, and I really hope the prosecution can come out with something that will put Peterson away.

PS - Nancy usually looks impeccible, but she needs to fire whoever did her eye makeup today.

Edited by Devetaki, Jul 14, 2004 @ 4:29 PM.

Charles Lane

Charles Lane

Posted Jul 15, 2004 @ 7:10 AM

I haven't seen the nightly SP recaps yet, but I agree that Court TV was much better when it was, you know, Court TV. I used to watch the trials all the time--during the day if I was home during the day, and at night if I wasn't. I have never once watched one nanosecond of any of Court TV's non-trial nighttime programming. But even worse, I've stopped thinking of Court TV as a destination even during the day, when I'm home, because the nighttime programming has brainwashed me into forgetting that Court TV sometimes carries trials. The brain trust at Court TV did a beautiful job of obliterating their own channel's brand identity.

Is Ricki Kleiman still on? I used to like her. How about Fred Graham?

jerry

jerry

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2004 @ 12:30 AM

Nancy was cute tonight. Funnier than usual when she was showing the video of Scott on his cell phone, and she pretended to be Scott telling Amber that he loved her.

But Nancy, please, please give me a break from that same clip you show every day and every night of this special... Mrs. Rocha saying that stuff about "In my mind, I hear Lacy... pleading for her life... please don't leave us out here... I'm scared.... I want to come home."

I understand you don't want the victim to be lost in this case, but there are other appropriate clips. I hate that one. It's creepy. It's a mother's imagination running wild. Enough already.

WBCnotes

WBCnotes

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 10, 2004 @ 7:08 PM

I am a new fan of Nancy Grace...she has won my heart. The only thing I would suggest is her to change her hairstyle...it looks like a football helment. Other than than, she is great and I would like to see her take over Larry King which I see she subs often. What do you guys think?

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 12, 2004 @ 1:26 PM

This lady scares me. Seriously scares me. Even though I agree with virtually everything she said last night (especially her dripping-with-sarcasm voice when she was reading Scott's icky phone conversations with Amber) she's just so...scary. After her 8pm show she was on Larry King and said the exact same things practically word for word.

Big fat frosted word on her hair, too WBCnotes. Who wears their hair like that anymore, especially someone that age? I remember years ago when Court TV really covered trials. She was a prosecuter (no kidding) on one of the cases they televised. Her hair was a huge, cotton-candy Southern belle 'do that went well below her shoulders. She was also partial to white ruffles and bright blue suits. They sort of cleaned her up when CTV picked her to co-host that ill-fated show with Johnny Cochran, but I think she's had a relapse.

katymo

katymo

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2004 @ 7:17 PM

She is quite a scary woman, I wouldn't want to get into a scuffle with her on her best day! But I think she is completely awesome. She does need new hair, though. I also liked seeing her sit in for Larry King.

I love watching her show and watching her comments on the Peterson trial. This guy is so guilty, her analyses of the phone conversations between Scott and Amber are dead on. It's creepy to hear about Scott's favorite movie "The Shining" and his evasive behavior when talking about Laci's pregnancy, as if implying Conner was not his baby. Ugh, I just feel so dirty after hearing that creepy whisper in the tapes. Please convict him, jury!

stlouischili

stlouischili

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2004 @ 9:12 PM

I think Nancy's hair is very cute--she reminds me of Mrs. Brady. Nancy Grace is one of my favorites on TV.

I am really enjoying this show. I love the legal shows and this one is really good. They talk about their trial, what happened in court today, what the jurors reactions were, and played tapes and read transcripts. It's just like the old shows that were on during the OJ trial.

I love the panels. I know most people hate Jeffrey Pfeiger, but he is good TV. He always says whatever he thinks, straight out.

I know a trial is a serious, solemn proceeding. But last night, when they played the tape of Scott Peterson making up his imaginary European friends & telling Amber about them, I cracked up laughing.

(paraphrasing) "I'm in Paris with Jeff...and Jacques from France....and Pasqual a Spanish guy....." What a douche Peterson is. I hope they fry him.

Green

Green

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2004 @ 1:10 PM

I missed Nancy last night, but did she bring up how Scott told Amber he had called her on 12/22 because he needed to hear her "positive energy" to cheer him up after everything that had been going on, and she said, "But I though Laci disappeared on the 24th?". I don't think he had a comeback for that one, did he? I was hoping to hear whant Nancy thought about that. His default just seems to be, "I can't tell you anything else, it's too dangerous for everyone". Schmuck.

Nancy was cracking me up before when she would make fun of him being on the phone so much, mimicing, "Amber, sweetie! I love you!" Turns out, she was pretty close to right about how stupidly schmoopy their conversations really turned out to be. I just feel so bad for Laci's family having to hear all of this garbage. Nancy never forgets who the victims are in all this, and I like that.

stlouischili

stlouischili

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2004 @ 1:47 PM

I LOVE when Nancy Grace imitates Scott Peterson talking on the phone during all the footage of him on the phone, everywhere. Too funny.

I also love how NG closes everysingle one of her shows with a picture of the victim. <3 Reminds us all that the trials are for them.

Edited by stlouischili, Aug 13, 2004 @ 2:47 PM.

katymo

katymo

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2004 @ 2:18 PM

I hadn't heard that one, Green, very interesting! I can't wait to hear it come out, pretty incriminating. It wasn't on the show last night that I heard.

His made up friends are so dumb, I can't even believe it. It would be so much funnier if it wasn't so tragic. The tape that gets me is where Amber confronts him about "losing" his wife before she was really lost. Then he said there are "different kinds of loss". What a creep! I think Amber did a great job on the tapes, as Nancy says you can't cross examine those!

Green

Green

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2004 @ 3:19 PM

I agree, Amber has done really well from what I have heard so far. She does seem like such a timid type, but she knows how to be direct when she needs to. It must have been so repuslive to have those conversations with him, having to pretend for so long that she didn't know about his wife (well, it was just a few days, but it probably felt like longer). In a weird way, it was probably kind of a relief to Amber when he finally admitted Laci was missing, so she could at least let out some of her hurt and anger toward him.

I'll admit, I was losing interest in this trial when it looked like a sure thing that he was going to walk, but now I feel like it could go either way, so I'm glued to it again. I've got Nancy on a Tivo season's pass!

Devetaki

Devetaki

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 13, 2004 @ 11:03 PM

Those transcripts are really interesting to hear. I think if anyone wonders why Scott Peterson kept calling Amber, even when she kept berating him, is because he was all alone, had nobody else to talk to and thought eventually she would come around, because she loved him. She certainly made it seem like she did in the beginning of the transcripts. Scott Peterson at that point was probably thinking the same thing, i.e., why is Amber still talking to me? Must be because she still cares and will stick by me like no one else. Ha.

He's so guilty.

jerry

jerry

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2004 @ 1:06 AM

I would suggest is her to change her hairstyle...it looks like a football helment.

BWAH and Word! I liked it so much better when it was short a few years ago. It looked terrible during the "growing it out" phase, and I still don't like it. Sometimes, it looks fake. Also, I noticed yesterday that Mrs. Rocha has the same style. Coincidence?

Regarding the tapes: I would enjoy them more, if I could understand whatthehell Scott is saying. I need one of those transcripts they gave the jury. What's with the shoddy Radio Shack covert recording equipment?!

He's guilty, but he just may get acquitted because the prosecution is screwing up this trial, OJ-style. Apparently, none of them are listening to Nancy Grace (or any of the other experts) who say they need to streamline their case and keep it simple. I swear, I could do a better job of prosecuting this case and (as the great William Hung once said)... I have no formal training whatsoever.

Edited by jerry, Aug 14, 2004 @ 1:08 AM.

Ingresgumball

Ingresgumball

Posted Aug 14, 2004 @ 1:45 AM

I need one of those transcripts they gave the jury.

Like this, you mean?

Heh, a William Hung jury.

Edited by Ingresgumball, Aug 14, 2004 @ 1:45 AM.

jerry

jerry

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2004 @ 1:05 PM

I know you can get them from the Court TV website, but they need to pass those transcripts to whoever types the captions for Court TV. Since, frequently it just says "inaudible" for Scott's responses.

flirtycatherine

flirtycatherine

Posted Aug 14, 2004 @ 2:18 PM

I know it's evil to say this, but dang Scott Peterson is hot! I do believe he's guilty, but if he's ever proven innocent, I'll visit him anytime! Of course, I have a weakness for ridiculously hot sex addicts, as he appears to be.

Open Mind

Open Mind

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 15, 2004 @ 1:38 PM

He's guilty, but he just may get acquitted because the prosecution is screwing up this trial, OJ-style. Apparently, none of them are listening to Nancy Grace (or any of the other experts) who say they need to streamline their case and keep it simple.

If you would pay attention to the actual evidence being presented by the prosecution and the facts being brought up by the defense in cross-examination, instead of listening to the ridiculous biased nonsense that Nancy Grace comes up with every time she opens her mouth just to avoid answering the actual questions, you would see what is plain and obvious to anyone who has studied this case: the prosecution has no case. There is no way they can improve it by "streamlining" it, because if they dropped all their irrelevant witnesses, they would have none left.

It is obvious that the Modesto PD screwed up by spending all their time focusing on Scott Peterson and trying to find evidence to prove him guilty. In fact, he did not do it, and everything they worked on turned out to support his innocence, not his guilt. There is no physical evidence, and no credible explanation of how Scott Peterson could have done it without being detected. To believe he did it, you'd have to believe he is a criminal mastermind. Seems unlikely doesn't it?

In the end, they have no real suspect so the only thing left for them to do is to bring this charade of a case and have a jury get them off the hook, making it seem as if they have done their job. All Nancy Grace does is play to the public's biases, which has been the MPD's strategy from the very beginning with their lies and false "leaks" intended to tie Scott Peterson to the murder. She is a joke.

Edited by Open Mind, Aug 15, 2004 @ 4:35 PM.

flirtycatherine

flirtycatherine

Posted Aug 15, 2004 @ 2:02 PM

OpenMind, what do you think about Scott's saying that he had just lost his wife before she disappeared? Do you think he is a cad and just said that and then through a horrifying coincidence, it actually happened?

Open Mind

Open Mind

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 15, 2004 @ 4:28 PM

OpenMind, what do you think about Scott's saying that he had just lost his wife before she disappeared? Do you think he is a cad and just said that and then through a horrifying coincidence, it actually happened?

Yes, I think that's exactly what happened. It's quite natural that a married man having an affair would say something like that to account for any tell-tale signs of his marriage, like a mark on his ring finger, or any other slip-ups he may make. Also, I think in this case Amber had already been told he was married, or thought he was (I forget why). But if that was the case, he couldn't just claim to be single, could he?

Scott's statements in Amber's tape recordings played last week are completely consistent with this. The ultimate irony is that some people (like Nancy Grace) are so convinced he is guilty that they are now starting to label his truthful statements as "lies" and "evasions". Try starting from the assumption that he is innocent, and see how different your interpretation is.

Edited by Open Mind, Aug 15, 2004 @ 4:36 PM.

flirtycatherine

flirtycatherine

Posted Aug 15, 2004 @ 6:23 PM

OpenMind, that coincidence is certainly possible, but what about his telling Amber that although he wasn't involved with his wife's disappearance, he knew who was? What is that all about? It's all very fascinating.

drivr8

drivr8

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 15, 2004 @ 6:42 PM

. It's quite natural that a married man having an affair would say something like that to account for any tell-tale signs of his marriage, like a mark on his ring finger, or any other slip-ups he may make.

Maybe. But it's not particularly natural for your wife and child's corpses to wash up about 1 mile from the exact spot that you were fishing 3 months earlier, the day they happened to go missing. A spot that is a 2 hour drive from your home.

That's not natural. Not natural at all.

As far as the coverage of this case goes, if I never hear the word "cad" again it will be too soon. To dismiss a pathological, narcissistic, habitual liar by calling him a cad is almost complementary.

Nancy Grace may grate on people's nerves, but I dig her conviction.

Edited by drivr8, Aug 15, 2004 @ 6:45 PM.

Open Mind

Open Mind

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 15, 2004 @ 8:11 PM

Maybe. But it's not particularly natural for your wife and child's corpses to wash up about 1 mile from the exact spot that you were fishing 3 months earlier, the day they happened to go missing. A spot that is a 2 hour drive from your home.

That's not natural. Not natural at all.

I agree completely. In fact, it's so unnatural that it can only be the result of the bodies having been planted there. The chances are zero of Laci's adult body washing up with no hands, feet, head, or internal organs, and the newborn baby Connor's body surviving through the very same conditions to arrive intact at a point just a short distance away. The only possible explanation is that they were planted there deliberately to incriminate Scott Peterson.

flirtycatherine

flirtycatherine

Posted Aug 15, 2004 @ 8:13 PM

OpenMind, how do you explain my earlier post about his saying he knew what happened to her?

Open Mind

Open Mind

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 15, 2004 @ 8:19 PM

OpenMind, that coincidence is certainly possible, but what about his telling Amber that although he wasn't involved with his wife's disappearance, he knew who was? What is that all about? It's all very fascinating.

Did this actually happen? As far as I am aware, this is just another of those rumors spread by the MPD to poison the public's opinion of Scott Peterson. It was not a part of any taped conversation that has been played in court, and you would have to assume that the prosecution would be making a big deal out of it if they had it on tape. We will have to see if it is something that Amber will testify to, but everything I have read suggests that this conversation just did not happen.