GTO - Great Teacher Onizuka

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

4 replies to this topic

hachurui

hachurui

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2004 @ 11:08 PM

I didn't see a thread for GTO, but if one exists, feel free to delete this.

Anyway, a brief intro: GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka) has been made into an anime series, manga, live action TV show and movie. It's a junior high school sex comedy about a bike gang member with karate skills (of course!), Ekichi Onizuka, who becomes a JHS teacher to try and hook up with high school girls. In the anime and manga he looks kinda like Eminem. My favorite is the TV show, which ran for only one season and stars Takashi Sorimachi (he also stars in the film and composed some of the score for both the film and the live action show). It's less raunchy than the manga and anime, with great acting (especially for Japanese TV) and good dialogue.

cinaea

cinaea

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 13, 2004 @ 9:35 AM

I've been thinking of renting this anime. Is it any good? The concept sounds too funny!

hachurui

hachurui

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2004 @ 6:36 PM

Yeah, it's great. Plus, both the Japanese and US voice actors are very good, so you're fine getting it dubbed or subbed. I prefer the live action version, but it's not (yet?) available outside of Asia.

mischief

mischief

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 13, 2004 @ 7:27 PM

GTO is an exceptional series. After I rented the first 5 through Netflix I immediately bought the final 5. It took a bit to get to the animation but I quickly grew to love the characters. The characters are nicely varied with reason for doing what they do. Once you find out what caused them to act how they do you can feel for them. I'm currently showing it to two of my non-anime fans and they love it.

Greystoke

Greystoke

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 14, 2004 @ 9:38 AM

I actually addapted the first four episodes for the english/US version. They've got a great VO cast but (AND THIS IS JUST MY OPINION) never work for Tokyo PoP!!!! They're the type of company that would kill their young, if it ment they could save a buck.

Edited by Greystoke, Jul 14, 2004 @ 9:39 AM.