Great Domestic Showdown

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

12 replies to this topic

Rainmaker

Rainmaker

Posted Jul 12, 2004 @ 10:37 AM

Anyone else see this craptacular imitator of a reality show last night? Just what we need, to find another Martha Stewart. Is Adam Carolla seriously hurting that much that he needs to take on this awful gig? Truly an awful "reality" competition that oh, maybe 1% of the US population cares about. Not sure how I got stuck watching it.

I'm LOL that the straight guy beat out all the other five. The menopausal entertainer was indeed the scariest - so glad that her ego took a huge blow and she didn't get picked for the final two. Why would two couples allow these pretenders to plan their wedding? The first one with the Crayola tablecloths and the orange cake was truly awful.

Nadi

Nadi

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 12, 2004 @ 11:17 AM

Judging by the lack of responses this show has generated I guess I'm the lone Canadian viewer.

Either I'm a bigger reality/home improvement/makeover show junkie than I thought or the selection of summer shows this season sucks more than usual. <small voice> Either way I actually liked it </sv> despite Adam Carolla's dismal job as host. He certainly puts the dead in deapan.

I'm in total agreement; It warmed my cold cold heart to see Martha wannabe (I'm so great!) Valerie not make it to the final two. And to add insult to injury have the booted contestants have to play assistant to the finalists.

rlswolf

rlswolf

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 12, 2004 @ 11:52 AM

I watched it, too. Shamefully, I might add. I was so happy when Valerie went away...shut up already!!! and I think that Ryan, while effective at the wedding, was just about the most annoying reality person we've seen lately.

Loved that Frank won.

cellochick

cellochick

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2004 @ 11:52 AM

I started watching this, then flipped the channel once I saw that Sandra Lee was one of the judges -- I haven't even seen her show, but having perused her thread here, hearing the queen of craptacular food was going to be judging the wannabes was enough to convince me the show was a farce.

Was this originally conceived to be a real reality show...you know, with enough episodes to constitute something resembling a season? It seemed like a lot of bother for a one-off.

maybe 1% of the US population cares about

is being kind -- maybe 1% of the people who actually watched it might have cared...

Edited by cellochick, Jul 12, 2004 @ 11:53 AM.

Smeg

Smeg

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2004 @ 11:53 AM

I watched it. Waste of two hours. The title card was really cheesy, like they created it during the early 90s or something. Ooh! Sweeping text!

People are taking about it a little over on the Semi-Homemade board in How-To Reality because Sandra Lee was a judge.

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2004 @ 11:58 AM

Is Adam Carolla seriously hurting that much that he needs to take on this awful gig?

My thoughts exactly. What gives, Adam? I liked his remark about how attending the two weddings was like "going to traffic school."

I agree that this was a waste of two hours, but I did enjoy it in all its craptastic glory. It was funny to see Ryan and her near emotional breakdowns. Valerie had one at the end, didn't she? It must've been murder to frost all those individual cake pieces. The funny thing being Sandra Lee's comment about how it would horribly stain teeth. Steve's wedding set-up was fugly, but it was what that couple wanted. (That bride's dress was horrible, too.) I was cackling at Autumn and her hot-glue gun fetish. That altar looked like a prop from a grade school production. I'm so glad Frank won. (It probably also helps that he has a nice TV-sounding name: Frank Fontana.) I was rooting for him early on. He was the least irksome of the bunch, and I did like his confidence which I am glad the judges noticed. I felt a little sad for Steve though because of how the judges grilled him at the end for having a personality, but lacking originality.

DakotaGirl

DakotaGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2004 @ 12:37 PM

It probably also helps that he has a nice TV-sounding name: Frank Fontana

Wasn't that the name of a character on Murphy Brown?

Good Lord, I watch too bleebleeblahblahboo.....

Medusa

Medusa

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 12, 2004 @ 12:44 PM

Wasn't that the name of a character on Murphy Brown?

Yes, yes it was the name of a character on Murphy Brown.

Good Lord, I watch too bleebleeblahblahboo.....

You and me both!

Edited by Medusa, Jul 12, 2004 @ 12:44 PM.

txmom2boys

txmom2boys

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2004 @ 3:17 PM

My God, that was bad. I thought Valerie's head was going to spin when they booted her. She got quiet, got that murderous look in her eyes, then perked up with, "WELL! Thank you very much for your consideration!" I can't stand people like her who talk so much smack about being good at everything. She makes us stay at home moms look bad. She's the kid in class when you're graded on a curve, and they set the curve so everyone else has to live up to them, or look like shit.

And Valerie? Ha! A little bit of hyper-active disorder? She was fine until her burner broke, then all hell broke loose. That does suck, though. I'd be pretty pissed, too.

I couldn't tell if the other 2 guys were gay. Not that there's anything wrong with it...

I couldn't bare the last hour after they got rid of 3.

The host sucked. I never knew his name until this thread. I just knew he was the co-host of that Man Show my husband watches. Or watched until they changed hosts. He was the other guy, not Jimmy Kimmel. He was bad. I kept saying he was negative without being negative funny. Dh said it's his personality. Whatever.

depthfunction

depthfunction

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2004 @ 4:10 PM

I think it's about time Adam Carolla got a chance to host a reality show (though this wasn't the best show for him). He's got just the right mix of sarcasm and sleaze to make a great host.

The rest of the show was meh. It was obvious from the start that the straight guy would win because, as they told him when he won, there is no one else like him in that genre of TV. And when he looked straight at the camera and told us, America, that we'd be seeing a lot more of him, I thought, "No we won't. This is your 15 minutes. Hope you enjoyed it."

It was interesting, though, to see what could have been an entire reality series distilled to only 2 hours. It makes me wonder what other shows could be chopped down in such a way (I'm looking at you, Kent Weed!).

Dabney

Dabney

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2004 @ 4:39 PM

I had seen Steve's work on the series - Whose Wedding is it Anyway, that followed wedding planners around - so I was cheering for him. I don't know how you call yourself an event planner and not do one wedding.

Miss Quail

Miss Quail

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2004 @ 6:08 PM

Was this originally conceived to be a real reality show...you know, with enough episodes to constitute something resembling a season?  It seemed like a lot of bother for a one-off.

I was wondering the same thing. The "judges" seemed a little too puffed up for people who knew they were just on a quick summer time-waster.

You know how the final challenge involved decorating a little trailer, and they each had carpenters come help them in shifts? I totally recognized one of those so-called carpenters -- the big giant redhead who was no help at all to the contestant with the goatee, and who spent a lot of time eating, is actually an actor in LA who is very active in the local improv scene. No wonder he didn't know how to do any of the work.

So that made me think they might've punk'd the contestants by sticking them with a non-carpenter who was supposed to mix it up a little and bring some comedy. But absolutely nothing came of it, and the show never referred to it. It seems weird to me that they bothered to cast actors like that, but maybe they were too cheap or lazy to get real carpenters.

Just a weird, pointless show all around.

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2004 @ 6:25 PM

It was supposed to be a two-night show that aired in May, but ABC decided Super Millionaire would be better for sweeps. (I read it here.) It sounds like it wasn't a series but just a one-time thing. Or as the network spokesperson calls it, "Fresh programming." Riiiight.

I've been trying to find out why Corolla hosted this. I haven't listened to Loveline in a very long time, but I can imagine him having a weird explanation as to why.