Trading Spouses: Meet Your New Mommy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

6291 replies to this topic

JuneCsEvilTwin

JuneCsEvilTwin

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2006 @ 4:41 PM

I read the bios on the Fox site and I'm left with renewed respect for the Solomons. Mr. Solomon and also his wife to some degree, seemed to be way too preoccupied with the symbols of status and self-pampering but to give them both their due, they have achieved their status and the accompanying perks through their hard work. And they were not only working hard but working smart.
I think they stress the importance of education because of what it has meant in their own lives. They left India to study in Israel. There they both earned PhDs in the sciences. They then came to the United States where Mr. Solomon went on to get a Masters in a business related field.
And now they seem to be living an up-scale life style and enjoying it. Good for them if it makes them happy. They're keeping within their budget and helping to keep the economy humming.

I have no problem with people bettering themselves by working hard and working smart, especially if they come from an impoverished background and had to really struggle. They deserve everything they have because they worked for it.

My problem with Aaron and Tal is they were RUDE, RUDE, RUDE. You do NOT tell someone their choice of restaurant or the food they prepared for you (and sushi takes a lot of work to prepare, it's not as if she heated up a can of baked beans, for heaven's sake) sucks, to her face. There are polite ways to do this. I know because I've done it. ("Please don't think me ungrateful, but I guess I'm a little out of practice eating spicy food/never developed a taste for sushi/can't eat as large a portion as I used to.")

Vered I can cut a little slack. If she's never known anyone who was into re-enacting, I can see where it may look to her as if they're "living in a fantasy world," when, as I said upthread, it's simply a harmless hobby. Personally I think it's great that there are organizations that give grown-ups the opportunity to play dress-up. I don't do re-enacting, but it strikes me as way more fun than a lot of so-called "grown-up" activities -- like golf.

Pa Parodi is no prize either; I can't stand overbearing dads. But if I were forced to live with one or the other, I'd pick the Parodis anyday.

mstep

mstep

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 19, 2006 @ 6:50 PM

No doubt the Solomon's are extremely hard working and book smart. I don't begrudge them anything they have earned and they certainly have the right to spend their money as they see fit. But their people skills suck! I've just never seen anything quite like it.

snowfall

snowfall

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2006 @ 8:03 PM

She said she never actually went to the Solomon's home because a neighborhood ordinance prohibits commercial filming to protect the privacy of celebrity residents.

Unless the Solomon's or the show itself said that celebrities lived in their neighborhood we never would have known that.

I would love to know why FOX chosed them if they couldn't use their own house to film in.

Faxinator

Faxinator

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2006 @ 8:06 PM

I read the bios on the Fox site and I'm left with renewed respect for the Solomons. Mr. Solomon and also his wife to some degree, seemed to be way too preoccupied with the symbols of status and self-pampering but to give them both their due, they have achieved their status and the accompanying perks through their hard work. And they were not only working hard but working smart.

Working hard doesn't make them any less asshats, it just makes the hard-working asshats.

twinkiesmom

twinkiesmom

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 19, 2006 @ 9:43 PM

<<they have achieved their status and the accompanying perks through their hard work. And they were not only working hard but working smart.>>

And yet Mr. Solomon has said he judges someone's character on the quality of their shoes. So they don't care how hard someone works or how many degrees they have, it's the pedigree of the soles that matters.

Faxinator

Faxinator

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 9:51 AM

Somehow, for some strange reason, I see a metal pole and a lighted stage in Tal's future.

beezer

beezer

Stalker

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 10:14 AM

Oh no way.

"I have to shaaaarrre a pole?! I don't get my ooowwwnn? What about meeee?! That's disgusting!"

"How do my pasties look? Do they look good? Do they make my boobs look too goth?"

EarthMomma

EarthMomma

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 10:18 AM

I think she'd be too lazy to walk down the catwalk/stage/thingy, let alone have the motivation to spin around a pole.

nichelle

nichelle

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 2:40 PM

I think they stress the importance of education because of what it has meant in their own lives. They left India to study in Israel. There they both earned PhDs in the sciences. They then came to the United States where Mr. Solomon went on to get a Masters in a business related field.

And now they seem to be living an up-scale life style and enjoying it. Good for them if it makes them happy. They're keeping within their budget and helping to keep the economy humming.

I believe some of their background was mentioned on the show. The mother mentioned that she'd lived in 3 different countries, has a PhD etc. I applaud them for that. They're still assholes. You can tell so much about a person by how they treat someone that they don't have to be nice to. The Va mom wasn't someone from their social circle they wanted to impress. She wasn't one of their educated friends whose positive opinion they sought. She was quite average in so many ways (not a bad thing!), and they felt free to treat her like dirt. The father behaved like a spoiled 4 year old. That has nothing to do with money or higher education and everything to do with just being a jerk. I disliked the father the most. The mother seemed to have some redeeming qualities. At least she acknowledged that she may have played a part in the disagreement she had with the Va Dad. All Mr Solomon could do was get angry because his wife cried and accuse the other family of having no class.

Edited to add that I am in no way defending the Va dad here. Both families had issues, but I was FAR more offended by the Solomons.

Regarding the Solomon house, I take back my speculation that they were ashamed to show their not so rich looking house on TV. I'd commented before that it really didn't look that furnished so now I'm back to guessing that the home shown probably didn't belong to them. Maybe it was rented. The father did comment that it was dirty. That seems like something he'd say about property that doesn't belong to him. I've since wiped them off of my Tivo so I can't go back and look again.

Edited by nichelle, Nov 20, 2006 @ 2:51 PM.

lmwilker

lmwilker

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 2:54 PM

This is the kind of episode that tempts me to sign up. I would have had a blast with the Solomons. I would have gleefully joined in on their verbal trashing of the presidential suite and then suggested for the swap we upgrade to a nicer one with a better ocean view and private bathrooms for everybody. I would have chatted endlessly about Hermes v. Dior while having mancures and then toddled home with a new wardrobe of Pucci boots.

LaHeap

LaHeap

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 3:07 PM

Both families had issues, but I was FAR more offended by the Solomons.

Just the opposite here. While the Solomons were extremely rude and tacky, the VA dad was a bully who yells at women...far worse in my book.

mmnl

mmnl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 4:26 PM

The Va mom...was quite average in so many ways (not a bad thing!),

JMO, but I didn't find Va mom average at all. In fact, I thought she could easily be considered as exceptional. Her expertise with horses was very impressive. She was intelligent. She was probably a beauty in her youth because she still possesses very good looks. And taking into account that she in not on the same regimen of facials, massages, pricey products, big clothes budget, etc. no doubt maintained by California mom, Va mom could more than hold her own in any comparison of the two. In terms of presentation.

And she had great hair. No way that was average. I liked all the creative ways she found of wearing it. Some of the things she came up with took real artistry.

My problem with Va mom was how easily she accepted the lack of ambition in her own daughter. Given her own life lessons -- finding herself juggling a couple of low-paying jobs and her family apparently in a lot of debt -- you would think she would encourage her daughter to get as much education as possible. But she seemed to be more concerned with focusing her attention on her horses.

Auntie Anxiety

Auntie Anxiety

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 8:06 PM

My problem with Va mom was how easily she accepted the lack of ambition in her own daughter.

What I found most disturbing about her was that she accepted being treated like crap, maybe because she is so used to that same kind of treatment from her husband. I just don't understand how she allowed RichDad and Tal The Insufferable to dis her the way they did and she refused to take the "Kick Me" sign off her forehead. I mean, come on!! She should use some of the $50K to buy a backbone.

nichelle

nichelle

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 21, 2006 @ 2:26 AM

The Va mom...was quite average in so many ways (not a bad thing!),

JMO, but I didn't find Va mom average at all. In fact, I thought she could easily be considered as exceptional. Her expertise with horses was very impressive. She was intelligent. She was probably a beauty in her youth because she still possesses very good looks. And taking into account that she in not on the same regimen of facials, massages, pricey products, big clothes budget, etc. no doubt maintained by California mom, Va mom could more than hold her own in any comparison of the two. In terms of presentation.

And she had great hair. No way that was average. I liked all the creative ways she found of wearing it. Some of the things she came up with took real artistry.

I see what you mean. But, I wasn't referring to looks, hair, etc. at all. To me, she seemed like a member of an average American family. She has a hobby (horses) that she is passionate about. That's great. It wasn't meant as a negative at all. I viewed the Solomon's as more the exception (education, income, etc.) and the Virginia family to be more average.

Faxinator

Faxinator

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2006 @ 10:46 AM

My problem with Va mom was how easily she accepted the lack of ambition in her own daughter.

Not everyone is cut out to be a college graduate. Some people are content to be a housewife and mother (like my wife). Why should I judge them as lacking ambition if that's what they want to do with their life?

WhineandCheez

WhineandCheez

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2006 @ 11:56 AM

Let's cut right to the chase. What, no discussion on whether or not Vered's overblown boobs were real? Anyone?

From what I've been hearing, the network is airing these shows now that were originally filmed 1-2 years ago. Why air this one now? One Word--BORAT . This guy is the network's answer to Borat. Clueless, motor-mouthed, vaguely harmless yet utterly and completely offensive. I can't wait to see what Joel McHale does with this guy.

so she'll get her priorities adjusted before she turns into the Indian-American Paris Hilton.

Set your clocks people and mark your calenders, in 3 years we will be seeing Tal again on MTV's My Sweet 16.

I thought RenDaughter was a moron. She has no skills, no intellectual curiousity and her fiance has a mullet and a soul patch. She'd be wise to get some sort of professional credential because mullet shampoo and weed don't buy themselves.

I casually attend Renaissance Faires, and I often wonder why young guys don't realize that all they need to do to get laid and laid well is grow their hair and put on some breeches. Seriously, a pair of tights and a sword can do much to give a wordly patina to a Walmart clerk or a telemarketer!

Yet, those Pucci boots she wore to greet her family were fuckin' hideous.

YEs, but according to Dad, they were bought at EM -ILL-O Pucci!!!

I adored StatusDad's comment on Medieval Times only having uneducated working class people there. Yes, restaurants like Denneys and Bob's Big Boy are closing their doors regularly because of Medieval Times!

Edited by WhineandCheez, Nov 21, 2006 @ 1:35 PM.

mmnl

mmnl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 21, 2006 @ 12:01 PM

Not everyone is cut out to be a college graduate. Some people are content to be a housewife and mother (like my wife). Why should I judge them as lacking ambition if that's what they want to do with their life?

That's true. And there are a number of women who are loaded with degrees but find the most fulfillment in devoting themselves completely to their families. Dustin Hoffman's wife comes to mind as just one example although it's a celeb example. I remember reading that even while she was earning her law degree, she knew that her real ambition was and had always been to have a large family and make that her life.

But if a person chooses to do this, then I think it is responsible to have a backup plan B in place in the event that the family encounters expenses that the husband's income will not cover or in the event that the mother finds herself as the sole support of her family.

Edited by mmnl, Nov 21, 2006 @ 12:03 PM.

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Nov 21, 2006 @ 3:49 PM

Tal was an unusual case. Did she just not want to give the new mom the satisfaction of opening up to her. I also thought she had no interests besides shopping, and then at the very end she mentions wanting to go to Japan and play guitar in a band. Where was that interest during the episode? I get the feeling that the editors decided it would be easier to portray her as a spoiled princess by not showing her being interested in anything else.

What part of CA mom's bad dye job and awful fake boobs screams class to her husband?

mstep

mstep

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 21, 2006 @ 4:33 PM

Oh, and when VA Mom commented on Tal and her mothers' "beauty", CA Mom (instead of replying "thank you" like a normal person would have done) just says, "looks are important". Nice!

halbstark

halbstark

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 21, 2006 @ 7:31 PM

What part of CA mom's bad dye job and awful fake boobs screams class to her husband?

Finally! Somebody mentioned her hair! Not only was that a horrible dye job, but what was with the cut? Ugh! Her hair bugged me more than the boobs or bad clothes. She just wasn't classy and I wanted to shave her head.

wj 737 200

wj 737 200

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 24, 2006 @ 2:18 AM

Was I the only one a little surprised about how relieved the CAfamily seemed when they learned about the $25K being put aside for Tal The Insufferable's education?

I'm glad i'm not the only one who that struck as odd. I should go on this show...although the entire 50K wouldn't pay for the school I want to go to (Flight School college, $75K)

I couldn't help but crack up when they were in the Medieval Times restaurant, I kept thinking of the movie "the Cable Guy".

In all honesty I couldn't help but say "me love you long time" when CAmom came on....okay I also thought "Thank you come again" when it came to CAdad. Yup i'm going to hell =(

kammi21

kammi21

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 24, 2006 @ 2:06 PM

In all honesty I couldn't help but say "me love you long time" when CAmom came on...okay I also thought "Thank you come again" when it came to CAdad. Yup i'm going to hell =(

Are you an equal opportunity trafficker in ethnic stereotypes or do you direct most of your largesse to Indian-Americans?

MrPissyPuppy

MrPissyPuppy

Fanatic

Posted Nov 24, 2006 @ 3:21 PM

So which was the 13 year old - StatusDad or StatusDaughter? Because from their actions it was really hard to tell. What. Shallow. Shallow. People. And I suspect most of it is front too & that they're either faking it or in debt up to their eyeballs. California house was not impressive unless an oil stained driveway is the new status symbol. And I betcha the Hummer was rented for the occasion. Although after the gas price increases, they were just about giving them away for awhile.

I liked HorseMom & HorseKids, but that's probably because I'm 'into' horses and dogs and they had some nice Belgian Sheepdogs. HorseDad needs to STFU and stop treating the kids like recruits. I bet he doesn't scream at HorseMom like that.

WhineandCheez

WhineandCheez

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2006 @ 8:42 AM

Tonights eppy is The Atheists vs The Christians. Haul the lions out into the Colisuem and let's get this going.....

Yoohoostereo

Yoohoostereo

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2006 @ 10:02 PM

I really liked the Agnostic family. The only reason why the kids was crying was because he missed his mom. Oh, and I have a little bit of a crush on AgnosticDad (very sensitve and seems like a devoted dad) but I wish he was a little more eloquent in his views.

Mita_Jo

Mita_Jo

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2006 @ 10:11 PM

The Christian mom and grandma needed a good cursing out. Not the nicest tactic, but maybe they would have gotten the hint. Grandma especially needed to be told off. She was one rude, UGLY woman.

ExMathMajor

ExMathMajor

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 1, 2006 @ 10:14 PM

Christian Mom and Grandma were effing SCARY. I fail to understand why such people go on these shows.

*smacks forehead* oh yeah...to win souls for Christ.

EileenH

EileenH

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 1, 2006 @ 10:17 PM

First off: Yay Pittsburgh! I'm seeking out the Girone's for my next tattoo!

Second: Mom and Grandma filled me with white-hot rage. They felt absolutely justifed shoving their beliefs down other people's throats while being offended and threatened by anything that doesn't agree with their reliegion.

The Girones acted with a whole lot more class than I would have. Somebody who tells me I'm going to burn in hell is not going to get a polite response.

PS: I want to see how the Hammond girls rebel, the second they leave home all bets are off!

squirrleyQ

squirrleyQ

Posted Dec 1, 2006 @ 10:27 PM

I agree. Agnostic kid was missing mom. It was obvious that was a loving, involved family. Same can not be said for Holier than thou bunch. Of course I don't blame dad for avoiding mom and mom-in-law. My husband said "you'd slap the shit out of her wouldn't you" when she started preaching at the photo. YEP! Then I found it so rude when after talking to Pierced dad and knowing their beliefs, she brings the devo book in and tries to do it in front of the kid without even talking to dad first. I couldn't have defended her to the kid. She would have been the one in tears.

Mita_Jo

Mita_Jo

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2006 @ 10:36 PM

Christian mom has a such a stank attitude I can't even understand why her husband is still with her. I wasn't quite clear on whether or not he was as religious as his wife, but he must be because I don't think she would be with him if he weren't. They're certainly not happy though. She doesn't even seem to like him, which may explain why he spends so much time on the computer.

It amazes me how these reality shows can find the most obnoxious Christians to be on their shows. And they display some of the most un-Christian like behaviour I've ever seen.