One Piece

• Please log in to reply

515 replies to this topic

Bojenmi

Bojenmi

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 6, 2004 @ 11:14 PM

One Piece was acquired by 4Kids about a month ago. 4Kids or not, any American version has got to go through massive edits. Discuss One Piece and all its wackiness here!

And Bwah!

Sings: We are, we are on the cruise! One Piece!

Uzumaki

Uzumaki

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2004 @ 1:34 AM

That's very unfortunate. I don't like One Piece, but any acquisition by 4Kids just has tragedy written all over it.

Leanan

Leanan

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2004 @ 11:33 AM

I've never seen or read One Piece; frankly, I don't like the artwork. But I've heard a lot of good things about it, so I was willing to give it a try. I was saddened when I heard that 4Kids had licensed it, because their dub will be my first exposure to the show. Oh, well, I guess I'll pray for FUNi to release it on DVD uncut, or read the manga.

I saw 4Kids' version of the opening. Did they really change Sanji's cigarette into a lollipop? I couldn't really tell, the video was so fuzzy.

Cosmorific

Cosmorific

Stalker

Posted Jul 7, 2004 @ 11:37 AM

Did they really change Sanji's cigarette into a lollipop?

I wouldn't put it past them.

What I want to know is, what on earth made them think this was a kids' show? I don't know any OP fans under the age of 15. I say just hand it over to FUNi now, show it on Adult Swim, and let Sanji have his damn cigarette before he kills someone.

SafetyGirl

SafetyGirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 7, 2004 @ 6:18 PM

I'm with Leanan on the lack of interest in the One Piece manga but I felt so bad for the fans of the show when I heard about 4Kids. They have massivly deep pockets and can air stuff on FoxBox, cut it as not to offend the soccer moms, and all the fans can hope for is that Funi gets to do an uncut, subtitled release.

It makes me nervous for the licensing futures of other Shonen Jump-based anime.

Dei

Dei

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 7, 2004 @ 6:58 PM

What I want to know is, what on earth made them think this was a kids' show?

They must have just seen the very first episode and thought, "Hey, cartoony animation and goofy stretchy pirates! This must be a kids show! Let's grab it!"

Uzumaki

Uzumaki

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2004 @ 12:38 AM

*cries and prays for Naruto* Yeah, the thing that turned mw off of OP was the artwork, too. What is it about, anyway? I got through as far as older Luffy setting sail.

Bojenmi

Bojenmi

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 8, 2004 @ 4:45 AM

The artwork NEARLY turned me off OP but if you watch a bit, you'll find the way it's drawn really suits the show. I haven't really read the manga. What I really enjoy are the stories that go along with each character. I find each character is incredibly well rounded, each with their own quirks and facinating stories. Also, the humor, while often very slapstick is imo, great. But anyway...please don't let the artwork alone put you off, if you give it a chance, I'm sure there's heaps to love. For example I had a hard time believing Nami was pretty, but after a while, it didn't really matter.

What is it about, anyway?

From Sleep is for the Weak

The premise of the show is simple. Rufi (Luffy, Luefy, Rufy, etc.) is a boy who wants to become the Pirate King, a title given to he who finds the legendary treasure One Piece. He's definitely made to be in the running, too--after eating a Devil's Fruit (a legendary fruit that gives its eater special powers) as a kid, his body turned into rubber, allowing him to stretch his limbs to ridiculous lengths and bounce back bullets and other death-inducing weapons. Now, as this super-powerful rubber man, Rufi sails around the ocean to find crew members, have adventures, and beat up bad guys. The series is set up so it could go on forever: the treasure One Piece is at the end of the Grand Line, a long strip of ocean with an unspecified number of islands to stop at and a huge number of increasingly difficult villains to fight on them.

Luffy's also kinda brain dead, which more often than not actually does lead to hilarity, and not annoyance.

I will CRY if Sanji'd cigarette becomes a lollipop. You always know something cool's going to happen when he light's his ciggy and takes a couple drags. How will it even work with a lollipop?!

Where do you find the opening Leanan? I've been wondering about it for ages, because I had so much fun singing along to it in the Japanese.

Cosmorific

Cosmorific

Stalker

Posted Jul 8, 2004 @ 8:56 AM

Sanji is The Man. A chain-smoking, ass-kicking chef who looks good in a suit? Works for me.

*also cries and prays for Naruto*

Leanan

Leanan

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2004 @ 11:13 AM

Bojenmi, you can watch a streaming video of the dub's opening here. Hopefully it still works, because it's been about a month. If it doesn't, try here; scroll about half way down the page to Dr. Octopus' post. That particular version uses the Japanese video (You can see the fansub translations at the bottom) and overlaps it with the English audio. I'm not sure if that'll work, either, since it was also posted about a month ago. Just before the opening starts, you'll get to hear the voice of Gold Roger. Surprise, he sounds like a stereotypical pirate.

I'll say this, the English song doesn't sound that bad. I think they got whoever usually sings the Pokemon songs. Also, the lyrics aren't completely awful. They did change the "We are, we are, we are on the cruise!" part, though.

skyegazer

skyegazer

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2004 @ 12:35 PM

Well, as a One Piece fan, I can't really pretend I'm angry over 4Kids saving me hundreds of dollars on DVD's. I never really gave a damn about all those little changes they'd make seeing as most are rather insignificant or necessary, what with the diffrent cultures and all.

Although, i do admit this is pretty funny and stupid....
http://bbs.annex.com...ece/lolanim.gif

and I wil make fun of it (There only making things harder by giving him such a ridiculously large Loli, espectially since they coulda went the Yu-gioh aproach and edited it all togheter.). It wont keep me from enjoying this cartoon.

Though, I never woulda guests 4Kids would get One Pice. I mena, ever since Shaman King I wonderd what kick arse show they'd get next, that wans't licsend. The only one I could think of was Hunter x Hunter. But One Piece? never crossesd my mind. Espscially with it's long, almost Dragon Ball like story arcs and the fact that the series is at like 100 eps? All there other shows are 1 or 3 seasons, at most.

Oh, and anyone's wondering about Smokers Cigars. Don't worry they won't change anything. If villians can smoke Cigars in Code name: Kids next door, then they can do it here, too.

Leanan

Leanan

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2004 @ 12:58 PM

Holy shit, it really is a lollipop. Sanji's Kojak! "Who loves ya, baby?"

Cosmorific

Cosmorific

Stalker

Posted Jul 8, 2004 @ 1:08 PM

They did change the "We are, we are, we are on the cruise!" part, though.

But that was the best part!

Bojenmi

Bojenmi

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 8, 2004 @ 10:00 PM

*Cries inconsolably after seeing Sanji eating a lollipop*

Daamn you 4kids!

The quality of the audio I listened to was really bad, so I missed a lot of the words. Could anyone be bothered to find out the new lyrics for me? And Hate and Loathing over Gold Roger's voice. What, does he double as the Patchy the Pirate on Sponge Bob?

skyegazer

skyegazer

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 18, 2004 @ 11:30 AM

*Cries inconsolably after hearing the theme song*

RAP!? That is so lame, yet oddly funny. That song sounds like it was written on the spot and it doesn't mention Usopp and Sanji, despite the fact that they appear in the first season as well (well, Sanji not till the end but they should've mentioned Usopp).

I'm watching it right now and the voices are pretty bad, especially Luffy and that Fat lady, but, thankfully I don't think she's in the series much and maybe Luffy's voice will grow on me.

Just finished Watching it. Luffy's voice does'nt bother me anymore and I'm glad they left in the attacks instead of just having him grunt...but that theme song still sucks.

Next episode we get to meet Zolo. and no, that wasn't a typo.

Edited by skyegazer, Sep 18, 2004 @ 12:16 PM.

mangaqueen

mangaqueen

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 18, 2004 @ 11:35 PM

Luffy sounds like Ash.

Bojenmi

Bojenmi

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 20, 2004 @ 8:20 AM

Haven't seen it and probably wont for a long time unless there's a download somewhere (I live in Australia).

I did hear the opening, and I had to immediately had to wash my ears out with the Strawhat's version of the Opening available at Arlong Park. For a bunch of random misfit pirates they're surprisingly well in tune. Zoro's bit made me laugh though.

The rap...urggghhhh...the rap. It souds like something a fansite would write as a JOKE. It would be under "What would happen if 4Kids liscenced OP" and it would be all fun and games until it becomes reality. At least Gold Roger doesn't sound like Patchy the Pirate anymore.

Are there issues with naming Zoro Zoro? Since his name did derive from a real person and obviously Zoro is the name of another character, I can understand where that could come from. If that were the case I think I might actually PREFER a new nonsensical westernised name, than "Zolo."

skyegazer

skyegazer

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 9:00 AM

You mean like his often subtittled name, "Sauron"?

Yeah, I thought the name change sucked. I know that "L" and "R" are interchangabel or something, in the Japanese langeage, But his name is pronounced Zoro. Maybe your right, and they just didn't want kids mistaking him for that other Swashbuckler protrayed by Antonio Banderas.

GirlDrinkDrunk

GirlDrinkDrunk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 23, 2004 @ 5:33 PM

Apparently "Zorro" is a licensed trademark of Zorro Productions, so they probably just want to avoid any legal brouhaha. "Zolo" does sound kinda goofy, though.

Hm...I feel like I'd watch it again, to see if it grows on me any. But the super-hyperactivity that makes me crack up at the manga somehow doesn't translate so great (so far) for the cartoon.

skyegazer

skyegazer

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2004 @ 12:11 PM

Well, I guess if they have an actually reason for changing his name I can't really complian.

I did hear the opening, and I had to immediately had to wash my ears out with the Strawhat's version of the Opening available at Arlong Park. For a bunch of random misfit pirates they're surprisingly well in tune. Zoro's bit made me laugh though.

Now that I can complain about. We're the only ones that get the crappy Opening theme song, It's not just the Japanese version. The Latin theme is pretty descent, the German version, IMO, ownes. But we get some damn rap. I'm still hoping that was just for exposition and they'll eventually use the one they first showed.

Edited by skyegazer, Sep 24, 2004 @ 12:12 PM.

Fragile Halo

Fragile Halo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 27, 2004 @ 3:56 AM

I just tuned in, ahem, so to speak. I liked it, it was okay. But seeing the characters in color was weird. The animation seems very poor.

But at least I can watch the OP. Unlike some other anime *Shaman King*. I am glad to see Foxbox actually took time out to give this thing a decent translation and stop trying to be so damn funny.

Couldn't they do something a bit closer, like Zera, or Zero, or Zoa or...I don't know!

Leanan

Leanan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2004 @ 9:23 AM

I watched my first episode on Saturday, and thought it was all right. I've never seen the original or read the manga, so I guess that's why the dub didn't bother me that much. The rap was so hilariously bad that I kind of liked it.

Luffy's voice doesn't seem to match. He looks like he should sound more manic, or summat. I thought everyone else sounded pretty good.

I noticed some annoying edits (Those totally weren't cookies in the original version), but I have to give 4Kids credit for keeping in stuff like mentions of execution and torture, and for keeping in that bit where the Navy thug threw the little girl. I was surprised.

Fragile Halo

Fragile Halo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 27, 2004 @ 3:16 PM

Actually, throwing a girl doesn't seem that bad to me. Then again I am a big freak.

Bojenmi

Bojenmi

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 5, 2004 @ 5:47 AM

I noticed some annoying edits

See that's what I'm wondering about, because One Piece get's pretty bloody and messy in ways that would be extremely hard to clean up. They're going to have to spend a lot of time editing to make it acceptable for the pore delicate eyes of western children. I was watching some OP today of the Arabasta Arc, and what Crocodile does to Mr. 3 is pretty extreme, and pretty clear. I suppose they can just edit the whole bit out...but it'll be pretty darn stupid. I'm interested to know what they do in...well all of Zoro's fights.

[OT]

The Latin theme is pretty descent, the German version, IMO, ownes.

German is one of my all time favourite languages. I heard some German rock one time and so wish I could find the band again. The German version of Pinky and the Brain theme showed up in the thread and it was so cool! I need to go find it again.

[/OT]

Turns out I was wrong about what ACTUALLY happens to Mr 3, but either way if they edit it it's gonna be pretty stupid. Especially if they edit out his getting eaten, because of what happens later. And drying out a guy is still pretty disturbing for little kids.

Edited by Bojenmi, Oct 9, 2004 @ 4:40 AM.

Leanan

Leanan

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2004 @ 10:20 AM

Last Saturday's episode had the best. edit. ever. (Scroll down to the third post.) I'm not sure if I want to laugh or cry. 4Kids certainly has creativity, let me tell you.

skyegazer

skyegazer

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2004 @ 2:22 PM

I prefer the Super soaker guns. That Hammer Gun looked like something out of a Tex Avery cartoon.

You know what's weird is on Shaman king, Sherlock Holmes...I mean, Lyserg's dad points a gun at Zeek and threatends him. It was the same scenerio but unedited. I don't know. Maybe they can get away with it 'cause it airs at 11:30?

Edited by skyegazer, Oct 5, 2004 @ 2:23 PM.

skyegazer

skyegazer

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 27, 2004 @ 11:47 AM

This is good for a few laughs. It pokes fun at the dubbed version of One Piece as well as every Fox Box show (as well as that annoying host), except for Shaman King.

One Piece of crap

Zolo: Hey stupid. Why you were that efimenit hat?

Luffy: Well Zor...I mean, Zolo.

and the rap song: One piece Motha *****. One Piece.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2005 @ 1:19 AM

In case anybody missed it, the show is now on Cartoon Network.

Narration: Hey, Brock does more than harass Jennys and Joys!

Theme song: Okay...are those the same guys that rapped the opening credits for Dragon Ball GT? How can they live with themselves?

I liked the show. Stupid, goofy, a little exciting, full of one-note characters and some dumbass villains. And a Goku-like kid who can get his Plastic Man on after eating Cursed Fruit.

Man, can Capt. Morgan's son be a bigger dick? Or gayer? Monkey doesn't get the fancy room, but we do.

john mora

john mora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2005 @ 2:02 AM

Man, what a horrible, horrible hack job.

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2005 @ 9:50 AM

I've watched this show on and off on the Fox Box (now 4Kids TV) because I loathe some of the voices, especially Sanji's. They gave the coolest character such a crappy voice, IMHO. Then there's that silly dub theme song - way too literal. And in typical 4Kids Entertainment fashion, expect changes mask the subject they like to avoid: in Zolo's flashback episode, the dub says Kuina got beat up by bandits and is in the hospital. In the manga, she really falls down the stairs and dies. Now that is the real reason she'll never be able to fight again. Still, it kills time until Shaman King is on.

Edited by ParasiteTwin, Apr 24, 2005 @ 12:08 PM.