Crossballs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

28 replies to this topic

Phishbulb

Phishbulb

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 3, 2004 @ 5:26 PM

From the Comedy Central website:

Outwit. Outlast. Out-debate! Crossballs pits real experts against comedians pretending to be experts! Heated arguments, name-calling and threats ensue as the comedians push the limits, infuriating both the experts and the unsuspecting audience

So basically this is kind of like a TV version of Phil Hendrie's radio show, where the panelists are really comedians doing characters, and the guests are real guests who aren't in on the joke. Matt Besser from Upright Citizens' Brigade is one of the executive producers, and this show sounds right up his alley. You can see a video clip of him doing his patented "redneck" character on the website. This show will give him a chance to do some of the "prank" type material he did on UCB, which he excels at. Other "fake experts" will include Jerry Minor from Mr. Show, Andew Daly from MAD TV, and comic actress/singer Mary Birdsong. The host, Chris Tallman, will be familiar to "Reno 911" fans; he plays the outraged KKK leader on the show. The show premieres Tuesday at 7:30 PM. Check out the clips on the website, some of them are pretty funny.

Phishbulb

Phishbulb

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 7, 2004 @ 5:38 AM

Did anyone watch this show? It's really great. Andrew Daly as the semi-retarded guy who wants to be "fooled" on a reality prank show was hilarious. I think they filmed 24 episodes of this, and they will run three nights a week (Tue, Wed, and Thu) for the next eight weeks. There will probably never be a second season of this I guess, since now that it's on everyone knows the actors and won't be fooled into coming on the show. There is another episode on tonight, which deals with whether the elderly should be allowed to drive or not.

smudge

smudge

Posted Jul 7, 2004 @ 6:36 AM

Andrew never fit in on MADtv, but I knew he was funny. This sounds like the right show to showcase his talents.

suctionprints

suctionprints

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2004 @ 6:43 AM

Did anyone watch this show? It's really great.

What killed me is when the casting director agreed with the fake professor that shooting Iraqi women into space a la "I Dream of Jeannie" was a good idea! Oh, lord, I laughed hard at that.

Edited by suctionprints, Jul 7, 2004 @ 6:43 AM.

Torgo98

Torgo98

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 7, 2004 @ 12:12 PM

I'm not sure about this yet. I'll give it a couplemore tries, only because Andrew Daly, whom I've never seen before because I don't watch MadTV, had me rolling with his character, especially when he was fascinated by the time delay.

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Jul 7, 2004 @ 1:05 PM

What killed me is when the casting director agreed with the fake professor that shooting Iraqi women into space a la "I Dream of Jeannie" was a good idea!

I really cringed at that, which usually means good TV. This show is so HELLA better than Tough Crowd that I can't criticize it too much. Loved the subtitled insta-topics.

suctionprints

suctionprints

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2004 @ 2:33 PM

Another funny moment is when the "professor" is outlining the seven different types of drama as, uh, posited by Shakespeare: "Boy-meets-girl, action-adventure, and ...(long pause) five others." Heeeeeeeeee.

lurk3000

lurk3000

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2004 @ 3:49 PM

I laughed my ass off. Word on that "professor" and his pick for greatest movie of all time..."The Real Cancun" cause it was real and it was in Cancun. I also loved at the end when they gave the "mentally disabley retarded" guy the last word and he started going off on how he was told that there would be no time to eat anything before the show etc. Funny. Stuff.

Edited by lurk3000, Jul 7, 2004 @ 3:50 PM.

Hasbro

Hasbro

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2004 @ 9:43 PM

I really like Matt Besser, I saw him live at the UCB theatre. He did a album May I Help You Dumbass? where he screws with people mistakly calling his apartment for tech support. He seems to be the UCB alum that likes pranks the most.

It would be nice for Jerry Minor to have a job for awhile, he's really drifted around since Mr. show.

I liked the show, but it wasn't as good as an Ali G interview though.

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Jul 9, 2004 @ 1:02 AM

I hope people are watching this because it really is pretty amusing. The legalize pot issue was pretty funny, and the show's fast moving too. Fast enough not to get bored by it. Hope they can keep it up.

roosterboy

roosterboy

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2004 @ 2:39 AM

When I first heard the concept for this show, I thought it sounded like utter shit. But I stumbled upon the "Seniors Driving" episode yesterday and laughed my ass off. The pot ep was even funnier. Although the interaction between the comedians and the experts is hilarious, I think I love the little titles they throw on screen even more.

I'm hooked.

The Mighty Peanut

The Mighty Peanut

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2004 @ 9:58 AM

Colin Quinn, wherever you are -- DON'T COME BACK!

I loved that fake commercial the hippie-against-weed-guy ran ("Why did you turn off the life support?!" "I don't know. I'm...high.")

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Jul 9, 2004 @ 12:17 PM

Colin Quinn, wherever you are -- DON'T COME BACK!

I heard the VO promo that there's a new Tough Crowd in 2 weeks. What can we do about this? As soon as the TDS Moment of Zen is done I couldn't click to another channel fast enough, until Crossballs started coming on. 2 weeks. It feels like I'm on death row.

cronox5

cronox5

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2004 @ 8:55 PM

Add me to the Tough Crowd needs to go train. This show could be even raunchier if it was designated to the 11:30 slot.

And isn't the woman comedian in the credits the woman from UCB?

Cathode Tube

Cathode Tube

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2004 @ 3:34 AM

This show is all-right! I loved the reality TV ep.

lolalovesfrankie

lolalovesfrankie

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 15, 2004 @ 7:59 AM

I caught the pot episode and couldn't stop watching! I think the only thing that could have made it better was if they had shown the reaction of the "real" panelist when she found out the show wasn't real. It looked like her head was going to explode! Comedy gold, man!

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Jul 16, 2004 @ 1:02 PM

Seems like I'm goin' on and on about this show, but the obscenity episode, with the "phonin'" rap video was classic. "Lemme 2-8-6 all over yo face!" And the animal rights episode's German shephard bit? Hilarious.

TeddyRBear

TeddyRBear

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 22, 2004 @ 12:04 PM

I watched the episode about animal's rights the other day (they talked about euthanasia, veganism, hunting, picking up after pets, etc), but I missed the beginning of the show. I actually thought it was part of the Daily Show (you know how they do funny things seriously?) and I was practically crying when they showed the woman fighting to keep dog owners from picking up after their pets. Very, very funny show.

Littleturtle30

Littleturtle30

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 24, 2004 @ 3:28 PM

I'm loving this show! I'm on the west coast, though, and so I have to tape it because it comes on at 4:30. I loved the 2 weeks this was on instead of Colin Quin. Tough crowd is just kind of offensive to me, not all that funny. Colin Quin himself just seems to suck funny out of the room anytime he opens his yap.
These comics just doing mostly improv are HILARIOUS!

suctionprints

suctionprints

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2004 @ 8:10 PM

The one on gay marriage was hilarious, too. I loved the guy who had the committed, loving relationship with a bowl of soup. I think the superconservative minister figured out he was getting his leg pulled pretty early on in the show, but he was a reasonably good sport. I don't know how long they can keep this going before everyone catches on. My friend thinks they taped the whole season in advance, and doesn't think they'll be able to do another because too many people will be wise to them.

Edited by suctionprints, Jul 24, 2004 @ 8:11 PM.

smudge

smudge

Posted Jul 25, 2004 @ 12:10 AM

Your friend is right, but they probably will do it again, regardless. There are plenty of ignorant people out there that have not, and probably will not have heard of this show that will jump at the chance to be on TV. I mean, there were 2nd seasons of shows like Joe Schmo, JKX and Punk'd, so why not this show?

Hasbro

Hasbro

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2004 @ 3:53 PM

Well Ali G got a second season out interviewing higher profile guests and on HBO, so there is hope for Crossballs at the end of the cable dial being underground enough to get some more guests.

I rented Real Cancun just because this show made me morbidly curious.

Edited by Hasbro, Jul 25, 2004 @ 3:54 PM.

jesus206

jesus206

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 28, 2004 @ 12:36 PM

Why is this show not under the Talk Shows or Tv Potluck forum?
Unless people choose the right search page (there is another seach forums page linked in from the FAQ which does not show results for crossballs), people are not going to bother joining in the discussion because they won't find it easily.

As far as the show, it's been great. I was laughing non stop at the Rules of Driving episode. At least the white lady seemed to loosen up and actually was laughing at some of the jokes as the episode wore on. Even the super serious black woman broke down laughing towards the end when they had the guy pretending to be an old guy spouting funny stuff.

Matt Bessler's the best.

thegame

thegame

Posted Jul 31, 2004 @ 10:38 AM

Is it just me, or is Mary Birdsong all kinds of HOT? Those smug self-satisfied facial expressions she was making during the groupie debate were sexy as hell.

apelike

apelike

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 14, 2004 @ 4:42 PM

The music episode was particularly good, especially with the endless repetition of pirated versions of "Girls on Film." I love how disgusted the host gets with the fake panelists.

thegame

thegame

Posted Aug 15, 2004 @ 1:52 PM

One of the many great things about this show is that half of the real "experts" are such smug, self-important, humourless assholes that you end up not feeling at all sorry for them, even though they're being Punk'd.

apelike

apelike

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 26, 2004 @ 2:36 PM

The voting episode was also pretty priceless, especially Andy Daly with the sandwich and the lapdog holding court.

thegame

thegame

Posted Aug 26, 2004 @ 3:03 PM

I have seriously never laughed harder in my life than during the second segment of the littering episode. This show is mindless entertainment taken to its most hilarious.

jesus206

jesus206

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2004 @ 4:06 PM

Has this show been canceled? I need my crossballs fix.