The Soup (aka E! What The ? Awards)

• Please log in to reply

7936 replies to this topic

Ashleigh's Mom

Ashleigh's Mom

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2004 @ 11:40 AM

Yes, although there was one funny part last night - the segment about the possible reasons why Rick James passed away that flashed across the screen? Thanks to TiVo, here are some of them :

crack overdose

hit by bus while buying crack

crack-related asthma attack

kryptonite, disguised as crack

buried alive, under mountain of crack

ill-advised crack suppository

mixed crack with Pop Rocks and soda

natural causes, with lots of help from crack

suicide pact with Fay Wray

leighfoxville

leighfoxville

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 17, 2004 @ 11:31 AM

Okay, looks like only two people out there agree with me, but I actually enjoy the show. Granted, I have not seen BWE- when is it on and I'll give it a try- or Talk Soup, but I still enjoy it. Reference the above post (the Rick James bit)- it may have only lasted 1.2 seconds of the show, but that's legitimately funny. Plus, I liked the part about FLOM- the eye roll off the screen, I just need to see more people actively making fun of Rachel, since I'm one of about 4 people that subject myself to that show.

3 Mile Allan

3 Mile Allan

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 23, 2004 @ 4:23 AM

Props to the person upthread who mentioned that this show only makes me miss Talk Soup.

Anyway, they only time I laughed at this show is when they snarked on the final kiss on "Who Wants to Marry My Dad?" where the Dad closes in on the kiss.... pauses right before locking lips....and then goes at it with the woman like dogs in heat. The host for "Talk Soup" then put a bottle of water close to his mouth, paused, and then started chugging like there was no tomorrow. The surprising funniness caught me off guard.

Why don't they just bring back Talk Soup and find someone funny to host it instead of focusing on other crap. C'mon, talk shows have daily material to cover, that's enough to keep a show going for awhile, and if need be you can easily dip into covering reality shows as well, it's freakin' Talk Soup! You dont' have to explain yourself!

What's Aisha Tyler doing these days? Can't they call her up? Friends is over, she needs work.

Sorry, Tennessee!!!!!!!!

katms

katms

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2004 @ 11:29 AM

Aawww. Are you all still hating it? It has completely grown on me. I don't know when it airs, but if I click by it, I always stop and watch. And laugh a time or too. Recently, the Garden State bit was funny, and the riff on the toolish son from the Gotti show.

I like it.

sarcasmdetected

sarcasmdetected

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2004 @ 12:30 PM

I liked it too (/small voice).

I caught the last ten minutes of it last night, and, perhaps nostalgic for the old Talk Soup, I set up my PVR for a weekly record...

The Amazing Race bits were funny, and I thought half the fun of TS was the whole awkward bad joke thing...oh well. And the whole basic cable production value look and feel? Neato. Sometime BWE's graphics and quick cuts just piss me the hell off.

On the other hand, I didn't realize that the whole "awards show" thing was the entire format. One more week, then maybe I'll join y'all in the snarking.

jenifaohjenny

jenifaohjenny

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2004 @ 10:56 AM

I am joining the minority here...I actually like this show! I think the host is funny!

I laughed out loud during the bit about the contestants on the Amazing Race - the team was a guy and his invisible friend. I thought it was pretty good!

Kharma

Kharma

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 4, 2004 @ 11:09 AM

I have to say I really like this show! I'm also a fan of Best Week Ever, though. (I guess I'm not too picky when it comes to making fun of people). I like the host, but it could be that I hold a soft spot for him since he's from around where I live (well, sort of. I live in Seattle and he's from Mercer Island, WA). Also, I just read in our local paper that he used to be on this great local sketch comedy show I used to watch a lot called "Almost Live." Any Seattleites will remember this show. Sorry, but I just can't hate him.

LolaLaRue

LolaLaRue

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 4, 2004 @ 11:50 PM

Some fans are coming out! Even though most of the comments for this show aren't the most positive and even though I think BWE is better at this format, I'll admit - the show has grown on me; I don't think The Soup is that horrible. Joel has a fair amout of clunkers and some sketches go on way longer than they should, but every so often he'll get me guffawing over something goofy. (Plus, The Soup and BWE don't necessarily cover the same topics ... so it's more snark per week, and that's not a bad thing.)

Kharma -- Joel was on Almost Live? I was a fan of the show when it was on Comedy Central back in the early '90s, but I don't remember him being part of the cast.

Kharma

Kharma

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 5, 2004 @ 12:30 PM

Kharma -- Joel was on Almost Live? I was a fan of the show when it was on Comedy Central back in the early '90s, but I don't remember him being part of the cast

I had no idea they played it on Comedy Central, that's awesome! It was a really funny show, but I assumed people who weren't from around here wouldn't get the jokes making fun of our suburbs. I read it in the Seattle Times that Joel was on the show and, now that I think back, I vauguely remember him. I looked it up on Imdb and it comfirms it. He was on from '95-'98.

Almost Live

I am so glad that other people are fans of this show!

Edited by Kharma, Sep 5, 2004 @ 12:32 PM.

mbridgii

mbridgii

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2004 @ 1:13 PM

I will admit to watching the show at least once each weekend.

It still has much work to do before I call it "good", but it is building. I think that Joel is feeling more comfortable with the show. The jokes are moving along better. The inclusion of comics was of great help (loved Retta this week and Marvin of "The Player" last week).

sarcasmdetected

sarcasmdetected

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2004 @ 12:23 PM

Third week in, and I'm still liking it. I love how Joel's little murse/suit combo. And? I'm continually surprised at how short this show seems. IMHO, it just flies by.

maybetomorrow

maybetomorrow

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2004 @ 1:52 AM

It's grown on me, too. BWE is still funnier, but this has some good laughs. I love Joel's imitation of the one toolish Gotti kids, "Baddajfhdqibhqefuedj, Tula!!"

sarcasmdetected

sarcasmdetected

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2004 @ 11:38 AM

Hey, I caught Spidey 2 again last night, and who should show up as the prickish Banker that denies Auntie May her loan? Our Joel McHale, looking quite dapper in a spiffy suit.

Funny enough, Hal Sparks also cameo'd in the movie. Hmmm, same agent, I wonder?

Edited by sarcasmdetected, Sep 13, 2004 @ 11:38 AM.

katms

katms

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2004 @ 12:21 PM

LOVE love love that Joel brought out the Gotti Son imitation again "Lkjr ieerf mdrmmemem PIECE A PAPUH!!!"

Makes me laugh every time.

skeevo666

skeevo666

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2004 @ 2:56 AM

I think Joel needs to stay in the studio and leave the remotes for the guest comedians. I loved the tiger sketch, but the Emmys thing not so much

Edited by skeevo666, Sep 19, 2004 @ 2:56 AM.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Sep 19, 2004 @ 8:34 AM

I actually started out, well, not liking the show. Liking is too strong a word. Let's say I was just willing to give it a try. But imo, it has gotten worse. Much worse. This is not a show that needs sketch comedy. The red carpet gag was sad and porly carried out. When the budget is so low it does not even allow the staff to supersize their lunch, a "let's go on location" idea should have been shot down right away. Even if the location is the parking lot across the street.

I find it hard to believe that there is not enough ass-ery going on that that silly idea was even needed. WTF i sup with the writers that they can't find more celebrity idiocy to point at an laugh.

And I think the host is a huge weakness. I don't watch this type of show to see the drama geek from High School make good with his own show. This is a show that depends on wry and witty commentary. Take the big head away. Just give me voice over. Funny voiceover. Even slightly amusing voiceover.

Of course E! specializes in big heads as E! news manages tighter and tighter head shots of the hosts until that big head Julia gal's head filled my bigscreen.

sarcasmdetected

sarcasmdetected

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2004 @ 5:18 PM

What the fuck was up with the panel of guests? For a second, I almost thought that it was a 'gag,' that the panel wasn't really a bunch of no-name actors, and that it was all a funny funny joke. So not the case.

Classic

Classic

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2004 @ 7:20 PM

bumped for zona

tgirl

tgirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 14, 2004 @ 8:38 AM

OK, I finally watched an entire episode of The Soup today. Call me crazy, but I really think this show captures the entire spirit of Talk Soup in all the right ways. Here's what seemed to work for me:

I really don't think that talk shows provide the kind of fodder that today's crop of 'reality' shows can give. There are just so many of these frickin shows, The Soup doesn't have to reach very far to find material.

The ep I saw only had one bit with Joel, they used a scene from The OC with him 'talking' to Mischa Barton. It was great - genuinely funny. The other bits involved him being a stand-up comedian telling bad jokes, it was smile-worthy.

I used to watch Talk Soup religiously (John Henson fangirl, before he started doing "The World's Best Commercials You've Never Seen" specials) and the whole feel of the cheap set and the interaction with the crew is back on The Soup. Maybe it's just that it makes me nostalgic. In any case, the brand of humor on Talk Soup/The Soup is kinda unique, and I just can't compare it to BWE (although BWE is a good show in its own right).

jennifuh

jennifuh

Stalker

Posted Nov 16, 2004 @ 6:56 PM

And I think the host is a huge weakness.

WORD. He's a gigantic tool.

zona

zona

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 20, 2004 @ 12:20 AM

Yay! Thanks Classic. I can't believe all the hate! Joel McHale cracks me up, his Anna Nicole impersonation was great.

Edited by zona, Nov 20, 2004 @ 12:22 AM.

Kharma

Kharma

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 22, 2004 @ 2:32 AM

I can't believe all the hate! Joel McHale cracks me up, his Anna Nicole impersonation was great.

Thank you...someone who finally agrees with me! I love this show and Joel McHale cracks me up! I laugh out load while I'm watching this show every week. It's definitely the show I look forward to on the weekend.

"Do you like my body?"

skittishkitten

skittishkitten

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2004 @ 10:33 AM

WORD. He's a gigantic tool.

Double WORD. I mean, I try...I really try to find something funny with his sketches (whenever I catch this show), but it just ain't working.

And I think Jenna Jameson did a much better Anna Nicole "do you like my bahhhhdeee?" impression at the AMA's.

TristessaBlue

TristessaBlue

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 23, 2004 @ 1:49 PM

I wanna like this show. I don't *hate* this show. I like Joel from the commercials I see him in and I think he's cute and funny in them and I want him to be cute and funny on this show. Maybe, it is one of those shows that really has to develop over time like fine wine.(that was completely lame, I know.....but I'm not ashamed dammit!)

katms

katms

Fanatic

Posted Dec 23, 2004 @ 2:48 PM

I still love it -- and i miss it! what, no end of the year soup special? has anyone heard anything?

Ashleigh's Mom

Ashleigh's Mom

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2005 @ 7:43 AM

yay - they're back ! And snarking on Asslee Simpson, so yay again

elmothefuzzy

elmothefuzzy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2005 @ 3:30 PM

Does anyone believe that John Henson of "Talk Soup" would be a much more entertaining host for this show?

This week I did find the cat eating spaghetti with chopsticks to be amusing.

Edited by elmothefuzzy, Feb 13, 2005 @ 3:32 PM.

ChexOffender

ChexOffender

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 13, 2005 @ 8:27 PM

I don't know...I like Joel McHale, but maybe it's just the facial expressions...

Speaking of facial expressions, I loved the Barbara Walters bit...the Tooth of Impending Doom...and who could resist that cat with chopsticks? Hee.

mbridgii

mbridgii

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2005 @ 10:30 PM

What a difference some time makes. I really like this show now.

It helps that they have truly adopted the "Talk Soup" posture, and that "Best Week Ever" has fallen hard with their lame attempts to do funny skits and such.

Joel McHale is great. His dry manner is just what this show needs. I liked Henson on "Talk Soup", and he might have been good here (goodness knows, they did nothing with him at ABC), but McHale is just fine here.

Ashleigh's Mom

Ashleigh's Mom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2005 @ 8:25 AM

OK, the ending to this week's show? Still has me in stitches. Electric Orgasm? I searched TiVo and couldn't find this, but it looks hysterical. Between the wood splitter, the berries, Joel eating a banana, and hearing the woman talk about doing her times tables during sex was awesome.