The Soup (aka E! What The ? Awards)

• Please log in to reply

7936 replies to this topic

mooncreek

mooncreek

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 3:25 PM

An episode with no guests is already off to a good start but when the self-promotion clip of Joel leads to his prom photo? That makes it great!

Three clips involving young kids being exploited (Eden's World & Toddlers and Tiaras by greedy adults while the Dateline clip I'm praying was staged in order to get people for To Catch a Predator). I do not understand this Eden Wood thing at all and fear what she's going to be in ten years.

Guy Fieri and Sara Gilbert doing the "King of the World" pose is so WTF. What is with The Talk and these movie homages?

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:13 AM

Yeah I hope this no-guest thing continues. Last week's with Kathie Lee and Hoda through the whole show was painful. I have and always will find Kathie Lee Gifford a living embodiment of nails on a chalkboard. So much so that even when Kristen Wiig impersonates her on SNL I want to kill somebody.

I'm still laughing over that clip from "Undercover Bridesmaid" of the guy being offended that the bridesmaid he liked turned out to be a bodyguard! I'm like really? That's a dealbreaker? He was like "You're a bodyguard?(headjerks and walks away).

Edited by Limbonaut, Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:18 AM.

Ulkis

Ulkis

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

Can anyone tell me what the Cameron Mathison clip was about? At least I think he was on because I spotted him in the montage of clips at the beginning of the show but I managed to miss the actual segment.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 7:59 AM

I couldn't understand what the guy said at the end - in the clip of the week. I have no idea what Joel was laughing at.

Ananayel

Ananayel

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:33 AM

I have no idea why it was CotW, though I did enjoy Joel losing it like that.

Was Ana Gasteyer promoting something, or was she just there?

PilgrimWidow

PilgrimWidow

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

I couldn't understand what the guy said at the end - in the clip of the week. I have no idea what Joel was laughing at.

As far as I could tell, it was a guy with a heavy (Boston?) accent calmly explaining why you shouldn't kill all the fish, you need to keep the stock to keep the fishery alive, etc. And then for some reason be busted out with an angry GOD DAMMIT! at the end. But I agree, Joel's reaction was funnier than the clip itself.

ETA: Ana Gasteyer was there to promote Suburgatory. Not the best guest, but not the worst either. You know who I'm looking at...

Edited by PilgrimWidow, Apr 26, 2012 @ 1:01 PM.

Sister Bridey

Sister Bridey

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 2:26 PM

I am so old. I didn't know what that singer was going to teach us to do with our *unintelligible*. Please can someone more hep to the jive please tell me what the ongoing joke was?

PilgrimWidow

PilgrimWidow

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 4:29 PM

I am so old. I didn't know what that singer was going to teach us to do with our *unintelligible*. Please can someone more hep to the jive please tell me what the ongoing joke was?

Don't feel old -- it's a pretty obscure reference and I'm surprised they used it as a running joke. R&B singer Brian McKnight recorded a song called "How Your Pussy Works," which you can read about and listen to here.

Twilight Man

Twilight Man

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 4:28 PM

Well, I don't know how Joel can possibly survive without "Khloe and Lamar".

Edited by Twilight Man, Apr 30, 2012 @ 4:29 PM.

CookieChica

CookieChica

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:02 PM

It might make me 12 but "a bottle of ball liquor" cracked me up. Okay, not the phrase so much but the newscaster not getting it was great.

Papillon Rouge

Papillon Rouge

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:16 AM

Oh how I hope someone at The Soup was scoping out the Spanish soap opera "La que no podia amar" this week for clippos magnificos! It featured a fight with two guys. One of them in a wheelchair. Hilarious.

SnowDog

SnowDog

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:34 PM

CookieChica, it made me laugh, too, especially when one newscaster said, "Wait, we need more info on the ball liquor" and the other newscaster said, "No, we don't."

dougfir

dougfir

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:51 PM

Loved how Joel referred to Looney Tanorexic Mom as "Talking Catcher's Mitt". The last time I saw something that golden brown was on the dinner table last Thanksgiving.

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 4:14 PM

I laughed so had this week and loved it! I made my husband sit through the Tanning Mom segment as we both like The Evil Dead. "I am the Necronomicron!"

The COTW was a bit weak, imo. It was wacky, but no 'Dunk-a-doo balls.'

I think the double-dutch dog from a week or so back was on Letterman's Stupid Pet Ticks last night. "You failed."

I liked the Whoopi/View section, but I like that Joel will call out harsher than needed jabs.

I will never not like Joel's "Think about what you're clapping for." I was surprised that 'taint' was mentioned (wow, words you can say on tv), much less twice, but I giggled like a 12 year old both times.

It was fun that Joel called Dr. Oz by his first name; does that mean he's reaching Nancy Grace's level, even without a vesty pantsuit?

Sister Bridey

Sister Bridey

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:21 AM

Thank you, PilgrimWidow, for your assistance! What would I do without TWOP to explain Pop Culture to me?

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

Sorry to see that Tess is leaving.

The clip of the week was absolutely disgusting.

Edited by PhPhan, May 9, 2012 @ 10:37 PM.

Oubliette5

Oubliette5

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:14 AM

Is it just me, or was The Soup extra raunchy last night?
I love it but a few times I almost blushed.

On a non-dirty note, the Kathie Lee/Hoda clip cracked me up. Kathie Lee looked annoyed almost to the point of being horrified, and Hoda just couldn't contain her boogie.
And the Danny Trejo's mom clips? awesome!

Macthekat

Macthekat

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 4:10 PM

I have to agree with the previous comments about Kathy Lee & Hoda's appearance. It was painful and not funny in the least. Plus, why is their running schtick about drinking their wine mid-morning? I must be missing a lot of something with them and their show's intrigue.

I watch this show every Wed, but have been confused that Joel hasn't been taking jabs at William Levy's turn on Dancing With The Stars this season. In the past, The Soup has been relentless with clips from DWTS and from William's soap (my fav clip is probably when Wil made googly eyes at some female, she made them back to him, then The Soup adds babies in the clip making googly eyes back and forth to each other, too). Is something up with that? I'll add I really haven't found but very few clips or skits funny at all this season, and that's really sad because I used to look so forward to this show for giggles.

Indy1

Indy1

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 2:04 PM

I'm pretty sure that Hoda is turning into a Kathy Lee-induced alcoholic out of self defense.
It's like when you watch an episode of Intervention where the subject came from a horrific family and was abused - it's still awful that they drink/do drugs/are destroying themselves, you kind of understand why they do it. If I had to work with drunk Kathy Lee every morning, I'd hit the wine hard too.

Edited by Indy1, May 15, 2012 @ 2:04 PM.

Albanyguy

Albanyguy

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

Man, Joel was on fire tonight!

On Whitney Huston's mother being "cool" with the idea of a Whitney family reality show: "Hey, you know what's not cool? Whitney's body!"

On the repeated use of the phrase "Black Dick" in a kid's cartoon: "The Kardashians have a cartoon, now?"

Bazinga!

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 2:45 AM

Mankini and his barely visible kidney wound- that was the usual goofiness I expect. I hope Sarah is feeling better!

The Liberty's Kids thing about Black Dick was too funny. Don't the writers read the scripts out loud first? At least for kids' shows?

The last girl in the Li'l Miss or Mister montage was so funny with her delivery. I felt bad for merlot! I hope she's in the running for the title.

Tales of Home Shopping just won't ever stop being strange; keep 'em comin' Show.

The Clip of the Week? Just plain gross. Swakswak, The Soup.

tvallthetime

tvallthetime

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 11:53 PM

Was that dog real on that AGT clip?

Indy1

Indy1

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 9:35 AM

Was that dog real on that AGT clip?

The dog was real but it was wearing a little mask thing on it's lower face that moved so it looked like he was taking. The dog walked across the stage on a leash at the beginning of the act so you could tell it was definitely real.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

Still laughing about the "Liberty Kids" clip days later.

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 9:39 PM

Nooooooo! Mankini don't go! Who will fly the spaceship for Lou?

Was it just me or did the show seem a bit flat? I guess due to some shows ending their seasons, but it wasn't as funny as the last couple of weeks. Though someone needs to reign in Greg Kelly. I think he's letting The Soup inflate his ego.

BobH

BobH

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

Don't recall it being mentioned here, but I just watched the Joel McHale episode of Morgan Spurlock's A DAY IN THE LIFE series on Hulu. Really kind of odd to see The Soup stage from different angles, and the other background stuff on the production of the show and Community.

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 3:29 AM

From this week:

*People are actually threatening that one woman for destroying an expensive purse? Do they not get that they are the folks the photo shoot was spoofing/making fun of? I hope Koechner is braced for folks to think he ate real panda.
*The Hatfields & McCoys clip blindsided me!
*Leave Kathie Lee clips for the really good ones; a slight name-bobble wasn't worth a smirk, imo. Also in the not-as-funny pile, the What The Kids Are Watching. Yes, I got the joke, but it was barely there and (nod to Tenacious D) low hanging fruit. Where are the suicidal vegtables and "Why's he named 'Black Dick?'" clips? Or even the Mickey and gang's treasure hunt?
*The chain from 'Cat. Fish. Catfish.' to The Dukes of Hazzard was fun! Though not as fun as the Very Serious Scientist telling the Clueless Guy about SuperShark! Honorable mention to the tank-with-legs that got a good kick in.
*Glad the SYTYCD clips were in; I didn't even mind that the Bitty Ballerina was cut-off for a bit. She was such a cutie, I'm glad I got to see her again!

My biggest gripe is the too casual use of 'rape'. I know this is a comedy show, but to have Joel end the show with "Come rape me at..." isn't cool.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 7:35 PM

The clip of the week was very disturbing. It brought back, to memory, the "squeal like a piggy" scene from 'Deliverance'. Something I've tried to forget. I don't even like to see Ned Beatty show up in anything.

BatFantastic

BatFantastic

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 11:18 AM

Loved Joel's "Happy Birthday David" spoof. But that helicopter cat... that was once a real cat? I really hope not.

roseslg

roseslg

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 12:52 PM

I just loved that they found a way to say pussy without it being bleeped. I laughed and laughed, and then laughed some more at that clip. When Sam came in to talk some more about the pussy, I laughed again. Needless to say, the song was stuck in my head for a good hour after that.