The Soup (aka E! What The ? Awards)

• Please log in to reply

7936 replies to this topic

Indy1

Indy1

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 10:37 PM

Danny Trejo joins Seth Green and Lucy Lawless as people who can wander onto The Soup set any old time and I'll be fine with it. And Donald Glover, because Community or not, he's really really funny.

I agree. They all know how to do Soup cameos the right way. I think Rue Paul should be added to that list too because he's damned funny when he appears on the show too.

mooncreek

mooncreek

Stalker

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 12:48 PM

They waited until the end of the show to say Danny Trejo was in Recoil (I'm guessing a direct-to-video release). He can come back any time.

I know there's issue among some about Community members being on The Soup but the combination of it returning to the schedule and Jim Rash mocking Angelina Jolie's leg pose as he won an Oscar would allow an exception.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 11:08 AM

I know there's issue among some about Community members being on The Soup but the combination of it returning to the schedule and Jim Rash mocking Angelina Jolie's leg pose as he won an Oscar would allow an exception.

It sounds like Jim Rash may be a guest on The Soup tonight. I may unsubscribe from this forum.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 12:59 AM

I was OK with Jim Rash, since he did win an Oscar and all, but... way too many guests tonight. Note to E!, we tune in to see Joel & funny clips, not a bunch of random celebrities.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 8:55 AM

I bailed after seeing three interlopers in the first five minutes. I have to assume at least one was from Community.

mooncreek

mooncreek

Stalker

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 3:05 PM

The Community appearance (that was the Oscar guy, ubi) was the good one of the bunch. Jon Heder is the one who really needed to leave immediately (newsflash: nobody is sorry to see that Napoleon Dynamite cartoon disappear).

I never thought I'd see Pete Weber become a highlight here. I watched that entire PBA competition that Sunday and there was comedy gold prior to the end thanks to a guy in the stands that was heckling him throughout - still don't know who it was but even the commentators were afraid. When it originally aired, you couldn't hear the bad word over the crowd cheering (the loud beeps were in Sportscenter's and Soup's versions) but you knew that reaction was directed at the heckler.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 9:21 AM

I didn't get the clip with Ryan and the two kids on AI. I was hoping they would show a clip of Ryan standing next to those giant people on American Idol this week. Ryan looked absolutely tiny standing next to the contestant and his mother.

I didn't mind the guest stars. They usually suck. I thought they were tolerable this week. I like Jim Rash and I thought his appearance went well. Is Lucy Lawless still in jail? I was hoping she would show up during the Jon Heder bit. I don't remember who the third guest was, but I think I had the same reaction of "too many guest stars".

Ananayel

Ananayel

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 9:36 AM

The third guest was Dr. Oz. Either Heder or Oz, but not both, that was too much.

clare 32

clare 32

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 7:21 PM

No, Lucy Lawless was bailed out by Greenpeace after an hour in custody. They are due back in court March 20.

Nflux Forever

Nflux Forever

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 9:32 AM

What needs to happen now is for Shailene Woodley to appear on The Soup. I know people are split on the guest appearance bits but what would be more perfect than Shailene, following her breakthrough performance in The Descendants, appearing to mock the craptacular Secret Life of the American Teenager when it inevitably returns? Hopefully, due to her connection to Joel via Jim Rash, this can happen.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

From Twitter...

@danharmon The Debut Trailer for the return of "Community" will air on "The Soup" Tonight at 10pm ET

Plus a guest appearance from Gillian Jacobs.

Lindenholly

Lindenholly

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 11:34 PM

Wish they would just get it over with and dispense with those pesky funny clips that make me laugh out loud and just make the entire show guest walk-ons and Community promos.

Oh wait! I think they just DID.

<reaches for remote>

bmills

bmills

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 2:13 AM

Okay, I tried to be patient, but now I'm joining the ranks of you Community resenters. I saw the first couple of episodes of Community when it premiered, found it stunningly bland, and don't care to ever see any of it again. But now it's taking over The Soup. Weeks of this crap. Months. It's reached the point that when the trailer for Community came on tonight, I just changed the channel, and I'm wondering if it's worth coming back. And I've been a loyal viewer since John Henson was the host.

I realize they're all owned by the same over-corporation, but even so, why is E allowing one of its programs to turn into half hour promotions for another show, and one that isn't even on their own channel?

Ananayel

Ananayel

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 9:26 AM

I was impressed by the fact the Survivor had finished airing just over an hour before the Survivor clip was mocked on the Soup. When the Soup aired on Friday, I think they shot it on Thursday. So did they get an advance screener of the episode, or throw it together at the last minute? Survivor is on a different network, so I don't know if they'd be sending out the ep. for advance viewing. On the other hand, it was a doozy of an episode, so they might have wanted as much buzz as possible.

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

I won't lie, I spent a solid 5 minutes cracking up at Greg Kelly saying "Maybe if she gets sad, she could listen to the Price is Right theme."

Edited by bparhad, Mar 8, 2012 @ 12:06 PM.

Cherzdotes

Cherzdotes

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 11:46 PM

That Greg Kelly bit was fantastic.

Also, I get way too much enjoyment out of, "Ice T and his wife, Coco T..." Cracks.My.Shit.Up. Every time.

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

Joel looked so pale this week. He goes from being too orange some weeks to so pale others.

Greg Kelly is frightening. The man needs to be committed.

I don't really watch Community or have much interest in it, but it doesn't bother me that Joel's promoting it on here. If E! is willing to let him do it, I can't blame him for doing it.

mooncreek

mooncreek

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 12:35 AM

It's sad how much I still love to hear "Coco T". Ice Loves Coco might be the only E! show I don't mind (not enough to seek it out but if it's on before/after The Soup or Fashion Police, I'm in.

Greg Kelly is certifiable. The Price is Right theme?

TimberWolf321

TimberWolf321

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 2:59 AM

Cocoa Chai Tea is actually really good. Although I may have a mental image the next time I have some. ::shudder::

MyAlias

MyAlias

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

Even if you don't like Community (which is, in fact, the best comedy on television), there's never a bad reason to have Gillian Jacobs (or any of the rest of the extremely talented cast) walk through. Am I the only one oddly turned on by her fake orgasm at the thought of getting a Comcast coffee mug?

And bmills, if you haven't seen the trailer, you really should watch it. #SixSeasonsAndAMovie

bmills

bmills

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 2:37 PM

And bmills, if you haven't seen the trailer

I appreciate your efforts to share something you hoped I would enjoy, but not meaning to hurt your feelings, the trailer didn't win me over. But the issue is, whether I like something or not, I don't want it to be INSTEAD of the show I've tuned in to see. I like New Girl and I like Grimm, for example, but if they started turning parts of Grimm's running time over to New Girl clips and references, I would be just as angry. Please, can The Soup go back to being The Soup, and not Community Part 2? Thank you for the gesture, though.

MyAlias

MyAlias

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 4:49 PM

I already deleted the last Soup, but by my count, Joel mentioned Community at the begining, at the end with Gillian, and there was the trailer. It's two minutes, tops, out of a 22 minute show. I'm not getting "Community Part 2" out of it.

Albanyguy

Albanyguy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 10:33 PM

But it's two minutes (or more) every freaking week! Enough, already. It's getting so that I can't even enjoy the clips because I'm dreading the next inevitable Community plug. And my interest in actually watching Community (which was once must-see TV for me) is fading simply because I'm getting sick and tired of hearing about it on The Soup.

Edited by Albanyguy, Mar 10, 2012 @ 10:34 PM.

bmills

bmills

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 11:30 PM

But it's two minutes (or more) every freaking week!

Also, it's two minutes promoting the show rather than mocking the show, which isn't why I tune in to The Soup. Granted, they've done that with other films and TV shows, but again, not over and over for months at a time, and comedy stops being funny when it's predictable. This time when the screen came up and Joel was standing there with a blond woman, I actually said to myself, "I don't recognize her, so she must be from Community." Yep.

People who like Community can, you know, watch Community. The Soup becomes Community Part 2 when it's wasting a lot of its running time on uncritical promotion of one show rather than spoofing a variety of programs, whether that time amounts to 2 minutes week after week or 30.

Edited by bmills, Mar 10, 2012 @ 11:31 PM.

MyAlias

MyAlias

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 11:57 AM

It's a matter of opinion, but I just don't see it. I don't remember Joel plugging Community once when it went on hiatus. (Except the week the the hiatus was announced, and the rest of the cast tried to convince him that he imagined it. "If Community was real, wouldn't you have seen a promo for it on NBC?" Heh.) I just don't get the "he's flogging it to death" thing. And The Soup doesn't mock everything: everyone who does a walk-on on is plugging something. Getting pissed because Joel mentions Community (or has one of his costars walk-on) once a month or so makes about as much sense to me as getting pissed about Joel's weekly sign-off, when he plugs his next stand-up appearance.

88Keys

88Keys

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:33 PM

I appreciate your efforts to share something you hoped I would enjoy, but not meaning to hurt your feelings, the trailer didn't win me over.

I agree, and I think the trailer was too much. Like you said, this is The Soup, not Community part 2. I don't have a problem with Joel saying "Community returns this Thursday!", any more than I would have a problem with him saying "come see my live show in Vegas!" But the trailer was long and pointless and really didn't make me want to watch the show. And I disagree that 2 minutes out of a 20 minute show is not a lot. It's one-tenth of the show being devoted to another show.

But otherwise, I did think this was a pretty funny episode. "We're gonna need a bigger boat." Perfect.

Virginia Plain

Virginia Plain

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 3:43 AM

Getting pissed because Joel mentions Community (or has one of his costars walk-on) once a month or so makes about as much sense to me as getting pissed about Joel's weekly sign-off, when he plugs his next stand-up appearance.

But Joel's sign off at the end doesn't interrupt the flow of the show as it is ending, when a cast member from Community walks on it is in the middle of the show and all the comedy suddenly grinds to a screeching halt.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 10:20 AM

But Joel's sign off at the end doesn't interrupt the flow of the show as it is ending, when a cast member from Community walks on it is in the middle of the show and all the comedy suddenly grinds to a screeching halt.

I think this happens with most of the guests - whether they are on Community or not. To me, a good Soup is a guestless Soup.

Albanyguy

Albanyguy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 6:24 PM

I can't even remember the last time I saw a guestless Soup.

Virginia Plain

Virginia Plain

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

I think this happens with most of the guests - whether they are on Community or not. To me, a good Soup is a guestless Soup.

I agree. I actually used to enjoy the guests when they appeared more sporadically, rather than every week with 5 guests.