The Soup (aka E! What The ? Awards)

• Please log in to reply

7936 replies to this topic

Ashleigh's Mom

Ashleigh's Mom

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2004 @ 7:07 PM

Anyone catch this show? A definite rip-off of Best Week Ever, but I can never miss out on an opportunity to snark on celebrities.

WiseGal

WiseGal

Posted Jul 1, 2004 @ 7:14 PM

Never heard of it.

Ty

Ty

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2004 @ 11:44 PM

This show was painful to watch. I've never seen such an unfunny person try so hard to be funny. I'll stick to Best Week Ever, thanks. At least it's full of funny people trying hard to be funny.

SassandtheCity

SassandtheCity

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2004 @ 1:03 AM

I know Rachel Harris and my god that a-hole was no Rachel Harris

Jazper

Jazper

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 2, 2004 @ 9:29 AM

an unfunny person try[ing] so hard to be funny

And that, my friends, is a perfect slogan for much of this channel's Pop Culture programming.

NoLife

NoLife

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 2, 2004 @ 12:54 PM

I completely agree Ty. This was such a bore and the host was very annoying, he was just so unfunny.

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Jul 2, 2004 @ 4:36 PM

Clicked away from this show as fast as I could after 10 seconds. So bad. So very bad. (Understated to convey my astonishment at how unbelievably bad it was.)

kiki82

kiki82

Posted Jul 2, 2004 @ 4:59 PM

Ugh, no words for this show. I just flipped it on, now I'm flipping it off. It doesn't hold a candle to BWE.

LouisVuittonRULZ

LouisVuittonRULZ

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2004 @ 9:45 AM

It truly is sad the way E! is so desperate to be like VH1 in every single way possible. According to TVGuide.com, E! is heading in a new direction, and will ease up on the over the top stuff. One hopes this will make E! better and maybe they'll be what they were about 10 years ago.

mbridgii

mbridgii

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2004 @ 9:57 AM

OK, I chuckled once when the host had the fake phone conversation with Jessica Simpson. But this was really a cheap-a$$ imitation of BWE. Maybe if this were local television, I'd be easier on it. This crap looks like something on the TV Guide Channel.

It reminds me of one of those also-ran shows on ESPN or FoxSports that try to compete with "Pardon the Interruption": can't hold a candle.

P.S - When they did the award for "Most Uncomfortable Moment", was I the only one who thought "you, right now"? Probably, since I'm sure I was the only one who got that far (in fairness, I came in at the 15-minute mark).

Edited by mbridgii, Jul 3, 2004 @ 10:02 AM.

teacherspet

teacherspet

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 9, 2004 @ 8:09 PM

The format of the show was lame- unseen people laughing at the most stiff, unfunny man ever? I had to turn channels and I love pop culture snark.

Ashleigh's Mom

Ashleigh's Mom

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2004 @ 8:35 PM

The off screen laughing kind of reminds me of the old Talk Soup format

mbridgii

mbridgii

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2004 @ 1:12 PM

It wants very bad to be like "Talk Soup", but those days are over.

The "basic cable" look and feel of "What the" doesn't work for the channel anymore. They've spent too much on the slick, gaudy glitz of their rank-em-up and "trash the star" programming to be able to make this work.

Maybe if the host were at all funny or engaging, the show could work. But he's the most unfunny hack I've seen in some time - some fluff reporter type who thinks he's witty.

Ashleigh's Mom

Ashleigh's Mom

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2004 @ 3:52 PM

It wants very bad to be like "Talk Soup",

Cancelled? Bwah. I think they'll get their wish very soon.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Jul 11, 2004 @ 2:11 AM

Heh, at least E! remembers it's supposed to be E!, not VH1 trying to be E!

Rydell

Rydell

Posted Jul 12, 2004 @ 10:45 AM

I finally saw this show over the weekend. Never again. What a stinker. It has the lamest host on TV--he makes someone like Brian Dunkleman look like a genius. The budget for this show looks like it's about $50. It makes VH1's horrificly boring and thankfully now-canceled "Reality Wrap-Up" show look like comedy gold in comparison. I remember when E! used to have really good shows. Now they're churning out this garbage. You know it must be bad over there when even the loathsome Joan and Melissa Rivers quit.

orion choachly

orion choachly

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 21, 2004 @ 10:48 PM

I gotta go against the crowd and say I enjoyed it. I think it is better than Best Week Ever.

BostonPugGirl

BostonPugGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 21, 2004 @ 11:26 PM

I thought the host was trying like hell to be like Jack from Will & Grace, in that cutesy-girly gay way.

Hollers

Hollers

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 22, 2004 @ 1:13 PM

It wants very bad to be like "Talk Soup"

Word, except all it does is make me miss Talk Soup. It's just not as good (though it did kill some time in a less-than-painful way).
Apparently, I'll have to try watching Best Week Ever...

obladi6703

obladi6703

Posted Jul 24, 2004 @ 12:21 AM

I also really like this show, I think it is much better than Best Week Ever. I swear one of the guys in the background (the guy laughing) sounds like the guy from Talk Soup.

phxchic

phxchic

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2004 @ 12:29 AM

That is Tom in the background--he;s the stage manager. Many of the Talk Soup production staff is working on the show, so there's a good reason for the comparison.

ChocolateCherry

ChocolateCherry

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2004 @ 11:34 PM

So it's desire to be Talk Soup is why they renamed it "The Soup"?

LolaLaRue

LolaLaRue

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 31, 2004 @ 4:08 AM

So it's desire to be Talk Soup is why they renamed it "The Soup"?

What a lame-ass name. And why continue with the awards aspect of the show? Why not just have E! admit they're ripping themselves off and present it in a modified Talk Soup format?

I gotta admit -- Joel actually made me laugh a few times during previous eps, but this last show barely got a "heh" out of me. His filmed sketches (Big Brother and Dr. 90210) ran WAY too long, and there was more than one joke that made absolutely no sense.

SassandtheCity

SassandtheCity

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2004 @ 3:00 PM

The Soup: We've Got a Different Name, But We're Still Not Funny.
You know something is sad when the host of this show makes Hal Sparks stint on Talk Soup look like comedic genius

Edited by SassandtheCity, Jul 31, 2004 @ 3:00 PM.

mbridgii

mbridgii

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2004 @ 7:11 AM

I can see where this show wants to go, but it's nowhere close.

Maybe it's because the production values attached to snark have increased since the days of "Talk Soup", but this program is just quite boring. They should have pulled away from the award angle and just focused on cracking on pop culture.

The "jokes" really aren't there; nor is the hilarious comeback/reaction that would normally come after an obvious clunker (think Johnny Carson or Conan). Plus, they suffer from going the cheap route - how do you not get clearance for William Hung singing "She Bangs"? Everybody runs it - there is no other reason to show the guy. And all the still photos?

"Best Week Ever" has better commentary AND has the clips (or, at least, reasonable facsimiles). Spend some money, E!

senor coconut

senor coconut

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2004 @ 8:30 AM

I am so sick of E! I remember moving here and not having E! and now that my shitty cable decided to add it, I wish they had spent the money to get a different channel.

Hollers

Hollers

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 7, 2004 @ 4:32 PM

I know I should be ashamed to bump this thread, but it's Saturday and I'm bored...

I just caught a rerun of "The Soup" - the hell? ITA with this:

And why continue with the awards aspect of the show? Why not just have E! admit they're ripping themselves off and present it in a modified Talk Soup format?

WHY are they paying more attention to the host than the clips? He's NOT FUNNY - I laugh mainly because I'm embarrased for him. And why are the writers from SNL (you know, the ones who drag every. damn. skit. on. for. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. too. long. And with too little punchline?) writing for this show? The award format sucks.... Wow, I can't say enough bad things about this show... I can see the "need" for a show that snarks on all the reality crap that's out there right now, but this show? Is NOT it.

(I ~liked~ Hal Sparks... Is that wrong?)

ubi

ubi

Posted Aug 7, 2004 @ 9:58 PM

I caught this show over the weekend. Pee yew.

jegrant

jegrant

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 10, 2004 @ 4:17 AM

I agree, dump the bogus awards, move to a modified "Talk Soup" format, shorten the skits, and, actually, fire the host and get someone tolerable. Also, get clips, license freakin' William Hung (wouldn't they actually pay you?), etc.

Fellow TWoPers, this is "copy machine TV" - the following applies to both VH1 vs. E! and BWE vs. Soup:
You know how when you make a copy (VH1) of an original (E!) it gets a little fuzzier? Well, they made a copy of the copy, when E! then became the new E!, that's just like VH1 but sucks a little more. Then VH1 made BWE, in the vein of I Love The Insert Decade Here but with a dash of Talk Soup thrown in, but when the new E! trying to be VH1 copied it, it was so fuzzy nobody could read it anymore, and it just wasn't very funny.

thegame

thegame

Posted Aug 14, 2004 @ 11:17 AM

This is the worst piece of crap ever.