1-3: "The Girl Gets Rushed to the Emergency Room" 2003.06.22

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

49 replies to this topic

AlwaysBoring

AlwaysBoring

Posted Jun 22, 2004 @ 9:39 PM

Geez Robin an albono prostitute? That is a little too dramatic for me. She actually looks better, oh and Nicole you suck. Maybe Cory hates you. Wouldn't blame he guy.

BitchySmurf

BitchySmurf

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2004 @ 9:49 PM

There is so much good tv in this episode. I just cannot stand it.

1. Nicole. I love when she says about the snake that she doesn't want her decisions to effect her getting to the end. Like it wasn't clear her decision to stay home and call her asshole boyfriend didn't already. Can someone call the irony police please?

2. Adrianne faking out the doctors to get to the juding. I think this is the episode where all the Adrianne-love came from. You know if that happened to Robin she'd be whiny as all hell like she was at the workout. "Tough broad" indeed.

3. Which brings me to, Robin's bald head. Ha!

4. Ebony's bitching. Man she can move her mouth. Robin giving her bunny ears is the only point in the show where I like her at all. That whole scene is great, ending with Elyse's hysterical prostitute snark. I remember dying when she first said that.

I also like when Adrianne says she looks like the hamburgler in her glamour shot. I think she did a great job posing and was cute with the snake, but that make-up was whack, yo.

This episode really reminded me how much I didn't like Nicole. I remembering reading somewhere that she thought she was going to win. But I don't think she's that attractive and she complains an awful lot, like she had already made it and didn't need to work for it at all, you know? And for all the complaining she did about her hair extensions I thought it looked 100% better when it was that weird kinky shape. I mean, what look was she going for with that? Dowdy homeless girl?

I vaguely recall last time around someone saying that Nicole and her boyfriend broke up shortly after filming. I can't imagine why. He sounded like such a catch.

And next time we get GREASEGATE!!

mattu

mattu

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 22, 2004 @ 10:14 PM

This is the first time I've seen the original season.

Elyse looks exactly like Catie from Season Two.

Adrianne's face reminds me of Pat Benatar's.

Ebony is one of my favorites because her look is so interesting. She kind of reminds me of Xiomara or Shandi in that sense. I like the unique-looking girls on this show more than the conventional beauties.

Kesse looks nothing like Tyra. Kesse's facial features are wider, if that makes sense.

How great was the juxtaposition of Nicole's shitty attitude and Adrienne faking her way out of a hospital bed?

skagirl77

skagirl77

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2004 @ 10:36 PM

Now that was a great episode - much to comment on but need to go to bed. But this episode would have hooked me on S1 if I knew the UPN existed back then. Ebony? Crazy. Robin? Crazier. Nicole? Dumb as her boobs. Awesome.

And Janice's hair? The most awesome to ever awesome.

Meedis

Meedis

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2004 @ 11:14 PM

Robin giving her bunny ears is the only point in the show where I like her at all.

Against my better judgment, I actually liked Robin in that scene as well. Though a second later, I was like 'Please, she knows she wanted to bitch about her hair change.'

And nice scorcher Elyse threw in the confessions...something about Robin saying her new hairstyle looked like a prostitute and Elyse not being aware of 'prostitute latest fashion trends'....Ouch! And Hee!

Sukey Tawdry

Sukey Tawdry

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2004 @ 11:48 PM

Kesse looks nothing like Tyra. Kesse's facial features are wider, if that makes sense.

When they gave her the weave and she was wearing all the makeup, I could see it. They both have widely set features, but Kesse also has a wide and short face shape, whereas Tyra has more of an exaggerated oval (you might say alien) face shape. And they're both curvy. I think Kesse is pretty if a bit odd looking but I'm surprised no one has said anything about her weight. While she is by no means overweight, she does seem a bit thicker than your typical model.

This episode really reminded me how much I didn't like Nicole. I remembering reading somewhere that she thought she was going to win. But I don't think she's that attractive and she complains an awful lot, like she had already made it and didn't need to work for it at all, you know?

Yes I do know. And she was so not going to win! She was at best a "Stuff" model. Her photo was the worst one--her face was all long and her features seemed to be placed low. Her mouth was down where her chin should be. And her eyes and eyebrows looked very Janice Dickinson--all pulled up and plastic surgeryish. Also I'm glad she's gone because now I will be able to tell who Shannon is. I wasn't a big fan of Shannon's face--very plain to me--but with makeup on she looks more like a model and takes a better shot. It just seems so clear, though, that Adrianne has it all over the other girls. I don't know if that's a product of knowing the outcome or what, but she is just so much better. I also find her delivery endearing...the way she deadpans everything. She seems, at least so far, to be one of those people who doesn't let bullshit get to them and remains generally drama free and good spirited.

NYCynthia

NYCynthia

Posted Jun 23, 2004 @ 12:28 AM

Adrianne's superiority over the rest of the (cow) herd is not a result of knowing what the ultimate outcome will be...because I don't know the outcome and I thought she was by far the best of the group.
I watched what I guess is the second season? With Yoanna et al? I'm confused. But anyhoo, I picked out Yoanna from day one and this time my choice is Adrianne. And good call, mattu, she does look like Pat Benatar! Hee! I cracked up at her Hamburglar comment, too, as did Mr.NYCynthia who was just passing by.
The rest of them just do nothing for me. That one chick, was it Nicole? Totally looked like Janice Dickinson wearing Kentucky Fried Blonde. Or a trannie.
Oh, and also? No.more.bald.models.please. Just scary, and not helped in the least by the pitch-black lipstick in the "beauty shoot". Gak! Like Grace Jones after 40 days and nights wandering in the Ugly Forest.

Edited by NYCynthia, Jun 23, 2004 @ 12:29 AM.

nowrite2000

nowrite2000

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2004 @ 12:29 AM

Elyse looks exactly like Catie from Season Two.

I can see that, but I think Elyse is edgier and icy, which makes her more interesting to look at. I think Tyra & Co. were trying to resurrect Elyse when they gave Catie that haircut.

I think Kesse is a black Reese Witherspoon.

ktpetals

ktpetals

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 23, 2004 @ 12:47 AM

Wow, I'm surprised there's so little response.

I also found myself liking Robin as she was making fun of Ebony. I really like Ebony's look, and the fact she's a lesbian makes me want to like her, but when she goes on one of her impenetrable rants, I just think, "oh, shut the fuck up." I mean, I can understand her annoyance at the hairdressers not knowing what to do with her 1/16 inch of hair, but give it a rest.

That said, Robin is a spoiled baby. What was all the diva-ing with the trainer? Work out a little! Lazy ho. I wonder who it is that picked up the tab for those $795 boots. I'm guessing that she doesn't make quite that much as a day-care assistant. I can tell that babyPhat judge really wants her big thighs to win. Frankly, I've seen some much better looking plus-size models. Why does she last so long?

I'm not sure how I feel about Tyra telling the two African-American women that their naturally black hair is "too dark for their skin." I actually think Tyra's hair is to light for her skin. I kind of liked the results of Kesse's hair, but I thought Robin's highlights were a little sloppy, and that she looked better with black hair.

Good riddance to Nicole. Her $1500 extensions certainly weren't much to look at for all her complaining. And she certainly didn't take the hint from J Manuel even a little bit. I can not get over the fact that she and Shannon look exactly the same--thank God they got rid of her.

As for that contest. Come on! When, ever, would a model have to do her own crazy, experimental makeup? I can see it now, you show up for the shoot, they hand you a photo, and say, "So, try to make yourself look as much like this as possible."

Tackhead

Tackhead

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2004 @ 1:02 AM

I never cared much for Nicole, who often looked like a transvestite. Her phone breakdown with her loser BF was a pale imitation of what Shandar and Hi-Pitch produce next season.

Giselle continues to be the reigning backstabber in the house. Fortunately, catty comments represent the full extent of her backstabbing abilities. Giselle: "Robin always has an attitude." Oblivious much?

As if the other judges could make Tyrant do anything--like cut Adrianne--without Tyrant's consent. It's not called Janice Dickinson's Next Top Model, after all. And never mind that Adrianne apparently got sick from a catered meal from the producers, which was referenced on the last Tyra Mail. Cutting her right after poisoning her would be a bit much.

Edited by Tackhead, Jun 23, 2004 @ 1:03 AM.

Plechazunga

Plechazunga

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2004 @ 1:26 AM

I think Kesse is a black Reese Witherspoon.

nowrite2000 otm -- totally read my mind. Though of course I'd change "is" to "looks like" -- Reesie is unimpeachable for her role in the greatest American film of this decade.

Also, those tests/trials right before elimination (and I suppose I should put spoiler tags on because I'm treating this from a post-season 2 perspective, but it's not really that spoilerly but be forwarned so don't come whining to glark or sommat if you do think I spoiled cos it's really not much of a spoiler) never factor into the decisions on a significant level. Going into the elimination, the judges already have their favorites, and if one of those don't do too hot, they all go, "Oh, we expected more, oh well do better next week." And if the girl fails, and she's not "in" with them, well it proves nothing/that she's on her way out. If she does well, but she's not a pet, it wouldn't be enough to save her if she's already on the chopping block.

ktpetals you are sooo OTM about Robin, hypocritical resident of the cradle of privelege.

neophoenix

neophoenix

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 23, 2004 @ 1:55 AM

This has started to bug me lately because I didn't notice it as much in season 2, has anyone else noticed that Tyra Banks was in constant soft-focus this episode? I keep thinking of 1930's Hollywood when they would put older actors & actresses in special lighting and makeup to make them appear younger than they actually were.

I also have to agree with Giselle, her photo looked horrible. Something about the makeup made her lips become non-existant. It also didn't help that everyone else had stunning makeup and lashes to bring out the eyes while Giselle is drowned in a bronze/glitter substance.

One last thing, when the judges were discussing who to send home I caught Tyra holding the rest of Nicole's shoots from the photos under the main photo they thought was "best". Did we ever see that in season 2? Seemed more fair to each girl to judge them on multiple shots than just one.

xander99

xander99

Posted Jun 23, 2004 @ 2:02 AM

has anyone else noticed that Tyra Banks was in constant soft-focus this episode

First time watching but they definitely used a soft-focused lense. It blurs out all her wrinkles. The equivalent of Photoshopping.

skagirl77

skagirl77

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2004 @ 8:28 AM

Agree with the softer side of Tyra from the camera. It's not like she's 80. Janice, yes, but not Tyra. They did it a few times in S2, I remember.

And Sukey completely agree that "alien" is a great description of Ty. Hee. There are points where I do see shades of Tyra in Kissimee St. Cloud, definitely. And I didn't mind her makeover, but Robin's was way too light for her complexion. Come on, Ty, black is beautiful. Although, losing the pageant hair on Robin was a huge improvement.

Ebony cracks me up because she is in the right but her execution? So poor. I would have lost my shit if some group of crazy ass women were standing around debating how to razor my head - totally mad. But her breakdown was a few hours too late. Hysterical, but too late.

I don't like Giselle - attitude, look, anything.

I'm glad they got rid of Nicole because if they only focused on above the shoulders, I couldn't tell her & Shannon apart after the makeovers.

cellochick

cellochick

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 23, 2004 @ 8:38 AM

I didn't get all the fuss about Ebony's skin. Whatever's wrong with the texture must not be something that shows up on my TV screen. Giselle and Robin jumped out at me as having problem skin from what I could see, but not Ebony.

I loved that purple outfit Adrianne modelled at the Indian Consulate. And the designer wasn't bad, himself.

I quickly put closed captioning on for this ep (as soon as Adrianne started talking, I realized it would be very helpful!). There were a couple of moments where having the text was very amusing -- one with Nicole where the entire CC section of the screen was filled with the word "really" and then Adrianne's observations of Giselle(?) at the salon: Giselle cried. Giselle groaned. Giselle moaned. On the screen, with each of those on a separate line, it looked like poetry.

pistachio

pistachio

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2004 @ 9:21 AM

I loved this episode. I remember watching it for the first time, that this was the turning point for me. In the first 2 episodes I didn't have a favorite, but after ep 3 I was rooting for Adrianne all the way. Getting to the elimination no matter what and loving the workout would have so been me.

skagirl77

skagirl77

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2004 @ 10:41 AM

I could see a lot of bumps on Ebony's face, especially her forehead, and her lack of hair makes it more pronounced.

I forgot about the consulate - what a great prize. Much more appropriate than listening to Wyclef direct their asses.

7thchild

7thchild

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 23, 2004 @ 11:03 AM

Hmmm, is it just me or does Tyra seem more "human" this season. She shows up wearing t-shirts and jeans. Her hair is pretty normal. There's a little home-girl head-sideways-bobbin', pointy-finger wavin'. But for the most part I can understand her and her head stays still.

Maybe it's all the soft focus.

I love episode #3. When I first watched it I knew Adrian was going to win. You can't beat, "Oh, I miss my snake."

panda

panda

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 23, 2004 @ 11:06 AM

My favorite part of this episode was when Nicole was whining about not wanting to go out that night because she didn't feel well and Adrienne asked for Nicole's opinion on her eyelashes, hee! The look on Adrianne's face after Nicole snipped that she didn't want to discuss her eyelashes was so Rayanne Graff (MSCL), that it killed me.

My second favorite part was during the makeovers, when Kesse was sitting in the chair with white foam on her upper lip and eyebrows. She spotted the camera and made a hilarious face while trying to hide. I love my instant replay button.

Edited by panda, Jun 23, 2004 @ 12:17 PM.

jimi27

jimi27

Posted Jun 23, 2004 @ 12:18 PM

Nicole did look like a man wearing makeup in that beauty shot. Also her boyfriend is really DUH! " Acting like a asshole will make you want me more"! Robyn, we knew that was a weave.Ebony made me laugh,but so did Elyse commentary on Ebony. Gisele...can she keep her mouth shout when the person who is eliminated name is called, she looks so dumb with her mouth WIDE open.

Sky Bully

Sky Bully

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 23, 2004 @ 12:30 PM

Giselle looks dumb all the time...not just when her mouth is open.

BitchySmurf

BitchySmurf

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2004 @ 12:34 PM

I knew there was something I forgot to mention in my previous post. The "prize" Elyse, Adrianne, Robin and (Nicole) won for the makeup challenge. It always cracks me up when they pan to Puff Daddy/P.Diddy's (Mrs Diddy?)'s mom and she's sitting there with her giant white hair and loads of people around her. It's like she's a Don and she'll break your model-knee caps.

Plus, when does your son having a fashion line (that he only has because he was already famous for other stuff) make you qualified to judge models at all?

Why does she last so long?

I always had this theory that Tyra et al didn't want to cut Robin too quickly because they wanted to keep the "plus size" model around to appear to be politically correct. Janice is constantly wanting to oust her because her pictures don't look good and she's got huge thighs. And that would be enough reason for the other girls but not Robin. They have to wait until towards the end, and when they have a very obvious reason to cut her. I almost felt like the naked/diamond photo shoot was to get rid of her since they knew she wouldn't want to do it. And then they could cut her loose without anyone saying they were cutting her just because of her size.

Of course if it had been me, I wouldn't cut her for just being bitchy and annoying in the first episode.

I sound like a huge conspiracy theorist now, but that's the impression I always got.

skagirl77

skagirl77

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2004 @ 12:39 PM

BitchySmurf I LOVED the pan of Mama Combs. Hee. She just sits there holding court. I noticed Robin even deferred to her...SNL should have her & Mia Rudolph's Donatella meet.

I know she shows up at a lot of the Sean Jean events, and actually makes the rounds (and gets out of her chair) rather regularly at fashion week events & benefits - she makes the photo gossip pages rather regularly. For whatever reason, either access to Piddy's money or actual fashion experience, she gets all the right invites.

And I totally buy your theory, btw.

ktpetals

ktpetals

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 23, 2004 @ 12:42 PM

BitchySmurf, you're probably right... I was thinking something like that. Looking at UPN's portfolio, though, Robin really puts out some awful pictures.

vicesick

vicesick

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 23, 2004 @ 12:54 PM

Hey, do you think Tyra would really hang that picture of Giselle on her living room wall?

Against my better judgment, I actually liked Robin in that scene as well. Though a second later, I was like 'Please, she knows she wanted to bitch about her hair change.'

I thought that was really Christian of her. The irony is, Robin bitched and moaned and POUTED! and all that, and then acted like she had borne it willingly, just like Miss Lord Jesus Soybean on the cross. The judges complained about that specific day. With Ebony, they just complained about her skin. At least Ebony kept it sort of together, but can I get a hell-yeah (from Flak article):

Ebony, whose volume and body language suggest she is performing a one-woman play about being a Black lesbian,

Simmer down lady! I also wish they'd stop overdoing her makeup...she could do with less of everything she's had going so far.

Good riddance to Nicole. Her $1500 extensions certainly weren't much to look at for all her complaining.

Her extensions looked like kentucky fried shit. A $1500 bucket of it.

After last episode, I prayed to tv for more Adrianne. As I rode my bike to the BART station this morning, running late, I thought, WWAD? I made my train with minutes to spare.

edited because TFL.

Edited by vicesick, Jun 23, 2004 @ 3:31 PM.

DarcyPennell

DarcyPennell

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 23, 2004 @ 1:45 PM

My favorite dialogue from last night:

Jay Manuel: If you don't like it then you can go back to being Miss Soy Milk.

Robin: Miss Soy Bean.

Jay: Miss Soy Latte, whatever!

heckkitty

heckkitty

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 23, 2004 @ 1:51 PM

I have to agree with everyone who said this is when the Adrianne love starts - Me too! That girl's way tough.

I have to say, I'm not crazy about Giselle, but it seemed very likely she was the one half dragging Adrianne into the ER - did anyone catch it who could ID? If so, she's a bit vindicated for some of her other crap, to me anyway.

Beelzebot

Beelzebot

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 23, 2004 @ 3:35 PM

I thought that Elyse's "Who's mother has a maiden name that begins with G?" was a dumb way to select someone else for the prize, because I bet Robin knew what she was doing and that was why she put her hand up. If I was Elyse, I would have selected backwards by the process of elimination.

Plechazunga

Plechazunga

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2004 @ 5:18 PM

BitchySmurf, have you read this article (spoiler ghoticakes blah)? Says mostly the same thing you do, but with a slightly different twist/reason.

BitchySmurf

BitchySmurf

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2004 @ 5:32 PM

Plechazunga I hadn't read that article actually. It's interesting. They mention the problem with Elyse. I don't think she could've won because then there would've been "you only picked the thinnest one" complaints. Thanks for linking.

I bet Robin knew what she was doing and that was why she put her hand up.

I always wondered if Robin's mother's maiden name really did begin with a G. Another conspiracy!

skagirl77

BitchySmurf I LOVED the pan of Mama Combs. Hee. She just sits there holding court. I noticed Robin even deferred to her...SNL should have her & Mia Rudolph's Donatella meet.

That would be so awesome. They could have a scary-white-hair-bitch off. I mean, if she could scare off Robin then she must be tough.