S1: Elyse

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

2124 replies to this topic

Tackhead

Tackhead

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2011 @ 2:33 AM

Sorry! I don't know what happened. Here is the correct link and here is a second photo.

The first one comes from the notorious Tea magazine shoot that Elyse hated above almost all her other publicly known work. They really made her look like a corpse. The second one probably comes from a Cosmo HK editorial of some sort, as shown here.

ZitaKatalin

ZitaKatalin

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 16, 2011 @ 2:55 AM

That first photo (Tea magazine?) was pretty horrid.

The others were nice ... and I love reading her writing. I'm gonna miss this chicka. :(

Oh, and by the way I wasn't able to get the book ... it looked as if the site I was on was taking me to check out ... and then: nothing.

Ugh.

If anyone knows where to get her book please let me know. Thanks!

I wonder who will be the 2nd ANTM to write a book?

abmis

abmis

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 19, 2011 @ 7:22 PM

Jade said she was going to write one but I'm not holding my breath. I'd read it though, I think it would be hilarious.

Biers

Biers

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2011 @ 11:34 AM

Just checked Elyse's LJ, and has the "Free-Dumb" post been removed? Wishful thinking I know, but... All-Stars?

C0mputerGeek

C0mputerGeek

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2011 @ 1:54 PM

Just checked Elyse's LJ, and has the "Free-Dumb" post been removed? Wishful thinking I know, but... All-Stars?

Given how much shit Elyse has talked about the show over the years - she had her agency automtically refuse requests before they even got to her - I cannot see her being invited back, much less wanting to come back. I highly, highly doubt any ex-contestant that's had an actual modeling career will want to be involved with this trainwreck of a show.

Edited by C0mputerGeek, Apr 29, 2011 @ 1:56 PM.

Biers

Biers

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2011 @ 2:36 AM

Still, interesting timing. According to Google Cache, the post was still up on February 1. Wonder if she plans to come back into the public eye in some way.

Tackhead

Tackhead

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2011 @ 1:41 PM

Elyse hid--not deleted--the Freedumb post back around the beginning of March. The entry's sole picture is still in her photobucket.

It was an odd decision, leading to probably unwarranted speculation that she's returning to blogging or any other type of public life. If nobody still reads her blog, it's pointless to modify its appearance, especially as she lets the spam pile up by the ton. If people do still read her blog, hiding the entry makes it look like she's going to do something public again when she likely isn't. For people who never read her blog before the end, hiding the entry makes the blog's end even more abrupt and odd than it was. It's just odd all around.

I would be nothing less than astounded to see Elyse do anything ANTM-related ever again, especially with the heinous cast of famewhores, freaks, and nobodies that All-Stars is likely to have. Even Adrianne isn't interested in it, though her verb's mood suggests that she hasn't been asked (shock).

In other Elyse news, I recently saw two claims that she appeared on episode 8-6 of Top Chef. I don't find the claims to be persuasive. See here starting at 11:13. Even at 480p quality, the nose looks too triangular,* the brows are the wrong shape, the eyes look too small and deepset, and the voice seems too high and little-girly inflected. Compare Elyse's 3/4 profile at 0:44 of her Sony commercial to the woman on Top Chef, as well as her voice throughout the commercial. Elyse is much too busy avoiding public life to go be an extra on dreaded reality TV.

*Elyse's septum dangles below the sides of her nose like certain sorts of ship's anchor.

Aja

Aja

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2011 @ 3:12 AM

In other Elyse news, I recently saw two claims that she appeared on episode 8-6 of Top Chef. I don't find the claims to be persuasive.

Neither do I. Apart from the haircut (which is similar to the haircut Elyse had at one time), that woman doesn't even resemble her.

Edited by Aja, May 11, 2011 @ 3:12 AM.

Tackhead

Tackhead

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2011 @ 9:01 PM

I found some work pictures of Elyse at the Adidas 6009 party in HK in March 2009. For whatever reason, Elyse got stuck with probably the worst outfit and styling of all the models. She's wearing an XXXXL tunic with a plastic shell necklace, ratty hair, makeup resembling two black eyes, and fake hipster glasses. I was surprised she made the hated ducklips pose with that fan.

I'll also throw in a few more dated pictures of Elyse, taken by Chip Simons when she was a teenager. I hadn't seen these particular examples before. She evidently got a few free trips to NYC and Cape Canaveral out of the weird dog's-eye-view leg shots.

Album.

C0mputerGeek

C0mputerGeek

Stalker

Posted May 27, 2011 @ 1:21 AM

To add to the gifts, here is an old interview that I don't think we've seen before.

Kosmonaut

Kosmonaut

Stalker

Posted May 27, 2011 @ 9:32 AM

Modeling is the easiest job in the world. I canít imagine something thatís less taxing, emotionally and mentally.

I love her.

Tackhead

Tackhead

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2011 @ 11:47 PM

If the interview seems disjointed, that's because it took place over the phone. Omitting the questions makes Elyse's answers more soundbite-ish than they already are. I believe this was about the last interview Elyse did other than the job-required one for the hideous YesStyle clothes.

Modeling is the easiest job in the world. I canít imagine something thatís less taxing, emotionally and mentally.

And yet at other times, Elyse would admit how she'd limp home after a day of jumping on concrete in cheap stilettos--ever look at her gnarled feet in these shots?--nearly contract hypothermia after a day of shooting in near-freezing weather or cold water, or risk heatstroke from shooting winter clothes outdoors in summer heat. Elyse omitted "physically taxing" for a reason, and I suspect only her native arrogance made the constant emotional abuse bearable.

Tackhead

Tackhead

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2011 @ 10:46 PM

I have good news of sorts for those waiting for another Elyse book. At the end of 2010, some print-on-demand publisher released a book about her.

Unfortunately, its text seems to be derived from the ever-inaccurate and brief wikipedia. Elyse's wikipedia page was never great, and in recent years, the vandals have removed most of what little content it had. I don't know how the publisher padded it out to 96 pages.

I don't recognize the picture of her on the cover, either. She seems to be wearing a long wig of Asian hair, which implies a work picture, but why pay to license one of those when you're scraping your text from a free source like wiki? A bit of searching revealed the cover picture is a stock image which apparently dates to 2007.

Amusingly enough, I don't think this chick is Elyse. Here are the other stock shots of her from this photographer. I thought her mouth was looking a little too large.

Anyway, if you have a spare $50 to waste on this 96-page vanity book of borrowed material, it's out there on my first link, Amazon, or Abebooks.

C0mputerGeek

C0mputerGeek

Stalker

Posted Jun 13, 2011 @ 12:03 AM

I am impressed that she is famous enough to warrant an "unauthorized" biography. It's amazing that there have been no updates since her last blog post. You would think someone somewhere would at least share an, "OMG! I saw Elyse!" story.

Tackhead

Tackhead

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2011 @ 10:22 PM

It's not an unauthorized biography, and the publisher didn't do it because of her slight fame. A bit more research revealed that reprinting--at super high prices--the freely available crap known as wikipedia in its entirety is this publisher's scammy shtick.* Despite numerous complaints, Amazon has no problem with enabling this massive spam/scam operation. Amazon subsidiary Abebooks at least has an option to remove print-on-demand search results.

All that's likely in the book [sic] is the pathetic wikipedia page on Elyse and whichever other wiki pages mention her, no matter how tenuous the connection. Those pages are mostly a bunch of ANTM-related, but not Elyse-related, material, according to Google site search. These "books" are "written" by software that operates similarly to the other website-scraping spammers' as they play their spamblog SEO games.

Considering some of the ill-chosen, probably robo-chosen, cover images on other Alphascript books, I'm amazed that the cover image of "Elyse" is as close to her actual visage as it is. Even a blind robot finds a wing nut sometimes, I guess.

*Morebooks reported 176,919 titles available from Alphascript, and all that I checked had the standard "sourced from wikipedia" blurb.

It's amazing that there have been no updates since her last blog post. You would think someone somewhere would at least share an, "OMG! I saw Elyse!" story.

Oh, you want some of that? Minor, dated Elyse sightings, ahoy!

GWD is these folks. I didn't know that bar trivia was such a big geek industry, but it is. Don't expect to find any pictures of Elyse in the recaps. If she's there, she evidently strenuously avoids the roving photographer or doesn't play ball with his desired mugging style. What you may find is several chicks who look moderately like Elyse but are not she.

As to the lack of updates, in the words of longtime ABQ native Chip Simons, "ABQ is as unsocial as a deserted island. But, if you love outdoor living and [mountain] biking, skiing, motorcycling and open sky and great weather... it's like Mars... with grocery stores." From what I've read, I gather ABQ is a "keep to yourself" kind of place, which is probably much of its attraction to Elyse. She didn't even pretend to like being approached in public towards the end of her modeling.

Tackhead

Tackhead

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2011 @ 1:45 PM

That's enough about fake Elyse writing. How about some real Elyse writing? Elyse has a page on Linked-In now, describing herself as a "writer and copyeditor [sic]," complete with unflattering headshot. Perhaps it's makeup from an old modeling job. The fascinator and Asian-looking person behind her suggest as much.

In other writing news, since quitting her blog, she's written some pseudonymous columns about bike trails for her local alternative weekly. The writing style, content, and pictures, luchador mask or not, leave no doubt that it is Elyse. Interestingly, no Alibi commenter but Nurse Whitny, who already knew her, figured out who "Betty" was.

I wonder what the claimed job is in this entry that allows Elyse so much time to ride her bike and get a tan? In the chronologically first column, she seems familiar enough with the UNM bike shop to be a student or TA there once again, and she certainly lives in that area.

As I consider the known arc of Elyse's writing career, I have a hard time describing it as "onward and upward":
1. Article for BUST magazine about ANTM. Pay: c. 10-20 cents/word ($200-400)
2. Her book reprinting a year of her blog. Pay: allegedly a lump sum work for hire, no royalties*
3. Articles for HK's free Taxi magazine. Pay: none
4. Articles for AOL's Lemondrop site. Pay: probably terrible ("[AOL affiliates'] contributors, by contrast, are paid a maximum of $50 an article, often less.")
5. Articles for ABQ Alibi site. Pay: probably terrible, if any**

*Too bad the commenter is so trollish as to make many of his claims hard to believe. Few of Elyse's trolls had the wit to make up the publishing details, though.
**Alternative weeklies aren't known for paying much. A recent item indicates the Alibi's print circulation is under 50,000. Elyse's columns were web-only, almost certainly a much smaller audience than the print version.

It all makes me wonder how seriously Elyse takes her writing. Two years and more away from modeling, no meaningful writing has appeared from her. She was all about the benjamins in her modeling, and I can't imagine that that's changed. Whatever she's doing to turn a buck, it ain't writing.

Bonus: a "so wrong, it's right" kind of caption from Elyse's model portfolio on youtube. She definitely knew what to do with her new computer. The one at 3:34 ("making call girls, it's pretty cool as an american photographer") is good, too.

C0mputerGeek

C0mputerGeek

Stalker

Posted Jul 6, 2011 @ 6:41 PM

Good find!

Elyse is making a concentrated effort to remain anonymous, which is a complete 180. I guess dealing with the general public got to be too much for her.

I might think she has gone back to medical school, except I doubt she'd have time to ride her bike and blog if that were the case.

I am glad she kept her original blog up. The entries really are interesting. It would be a shame to lose them.

Tackhead

Tackhead

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2011 @ 1:11 PM

I might think she has gone back to medical school, except I doubt she'd have time to ride her bike and blog if that were the case.

Elyse's last word on the medical school thing was a definite no. Judging from this dismal Lemondrop column, I doubt Elyse has the desire to work that hard ever again.

Dealing with the (internet) public was something Elyse mostly did when she was living in non-English speaking locations. She never blogged much while visiting America. At least on her blog, the overwhelming majority of commenters were very appreciative of her. I think Elyse knew who her main blog troll was, starting in early 2008, and thus had an easy time discarding his opinions. She could have kept blogging without appreciable real-life hassles, assuming she had a real life that continued to be worth blogging in her opinion. This comment guessed that Elyse's post-modeling life wasn't so bloggable thus far in Elyse's opinion.

ZitaKatalin

ZitaKatalin

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 6, 2011 @ 9:41 AM

Loved that Blog entry. I'm Hungarian, so ... :)

Too bad she's not back in the new Cycle (#17, is it?) ... I really really liked her. *SIGH*

Edited by ZitaKatalin, Aug 6, 2011 @ 9:42 AM.

Tackhead

Tackhead

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 5:47 PM

I found some pics of Elyse looking bored at an FCUK runway show in HK in September 2008.

She didn't just look bored. She was bored.

For a chick who claimed to disdain bras, she certainly wore that teal one frequently.

Source (Chinese language).

ZitaKatalin

ZitaKatalin

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 6:11 AM

Wow those are kinda awful photos.

Poor Elyse ... I hope she's doing OK. :(

Tackhead

Tackhead

Fanatic

Posted Dec 22, 2011 @ 2:12 AM

Elyse's dead blog just got a major disimprovement. Among other atrocities, the geniuses at livejournal decided to remove comment subjects, or least any easy display of the same. Long threads also now expand in tiny little pieces, and all threads fit approximately one comment per screen with the browser maximized. These changes retroactively ruin many fun or informative discussions on Elyse's blog and also make them much harder to find or read. Good job, LJ. You'll blast that pesky foot clean off yet!

I recently noticed she had hid the "tubing on the Rio Grande" entry, likely around the same time as she hid the former last entry ("Freedumb"). I presume that was at her brother's request. The hidden entry has long since vanished from Google's near-daily-updated cache, and archive.org never bothered to scrape it. Who knows what net.scofflaws might still have it available.

Aja

Aja

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2012 @ 3:46 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if Elyse's sudden exodus had something to do with one or more of her Livejournal enthusiasts crossing a line. Some of the comment threads on her blog are kind of harrowing if you read through them.

Tackhead

Tackhead

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2012 @ 11:09 PM

I found a couple of Elyse's work pictures for Comanche shoes. Her styling is unfortunate, and it appears to be the same February 2009 job where she picked up an ass abrasion. By that point, Elyse was only blogging her most outrageous jobs.

One
Two (mildly NSFW).

Poseidon

Poseidon

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 12, 2012 @ 11:47 PM

Elyse was only blogging her most outrageous jobs.

One

Awesome expression. Awesome Engrish. So apropos. Not that I blame Elyse - the true meaning of "I Comfort My Fashion Sense Is A Very Self-My Self-," has eluded philosophers for centuries.