S1: Elyse

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

2124 replies to this topic

djb

djb

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2004 @ 10:06 PM

Please. Whatever it is, have some sour cream on it. I beg of you.

Meedis

Meedis

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2004 @ 11:13 PM

Hee...come on Elyse, now that the episodes are airing again, you must come back and give the ditty (or dirty) on each.

MatrixMouse

MatrixMouse

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 18, 2004 @ 3:01 PM

She is quite possibly my favourite reality show contestant of all time. The bitching about the other contestants amused me greatly and she did it without coming across as a total asshole too. Love her.

vicesick

vicesick

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 18, 2004 @ 3:04 PM

J. Alexander saying she's great for clothes. They do call the runway models "clothes hangers." Crap, I think I said that about last season...anyway, she's the actual body type. We all know that, though.

That dress in the 2nd episode? I was thinking I would like it from the recap, because I'm hot for ren fair/little house style ("Girls Gone Mild" is my favorite fashion shoot theme), but that dress was totally hid. As in "eous."

Little Elyse, you make me wanna rub coal on your face and sing, "Consider Yourself," or whatever that song is called in "Oliver!" While dancing on the furniture and stuff.

Selma04

Selma04

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2004 @ 3:16 PM

That dress in the 2nd episode?

Does anyone know what that was? I like clothes a little too much and follow fashion, but I've never seen anything like it. Hideous doesn't begin to describe it. Who would design, sell, or purchase such a thing?

auntlada

auntlada

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2004 @ 3:29 PM

Somebody in the suburbs in the early 1980s? I think I remember things like that from my pre-teen years, when I was too stupid to know what was ugly.

ETA: Are there pictures of this dress anywhere? I'm looking on UPN and not finding any there.

Edited by auntlada, Jun 18, 2004 @ 4:05 PM.

vicesick

vicesick

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 18, 2004 @ 3:47 PM

Looks like an 80s skirt/blouse-in-one combo, in the most hideous dirty mauve and burgundy, inspired by that 70s built-in tie thing. For really uptight librarians to wear with a pinched expression.

Somebody can do better than me on this one...

skagirl77

skagirl77

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2004 @ 4:01 PM

I wore that dress in my kindergarten school photo. Same color, same collar, same crazy ass look.

(but I sort of liked it on her....)

Edited by skagirl77, Jun 18, 2004 @ 4:01 PM.

vicesick

vicesick

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 18, 2004 @ 4:02 PM

Same size....

IvySpice

IvySpice

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2004 @ 10:56 AM

LOVE LOVE LOVE her! Is she finally in med school? I can't wait to see her lecture Tyra Banks about the effect of estrogen on facial features a second time. My cup runneth over...

pistachio

pistachio

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2004 @ 12:00 PM

LOVE LOVE LOVE her! Is she finally in med school?

I think she's still putting it off to model. I know she was in LA fashion week, anyway. (See 'where are they now? S1' for links)

soma

soma

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 26, 2004 @ 1:57 AM

Looks like Elyse is the first ANTM model to land a fashion mag cover... China's Harper's Bazaar. I think she looks amazing. There is another (gorgeous) picture from in the magazine as well, but I seem to have lost the link....

Navelgazer

Navelgazer

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 26, 2004 @ 2:43 PM

I find her to be a huge snob, and think she looks sickly and corpse-like. However I do wish her continued success in modeling, because I certainly do not want her to become my colleague. And I REALLY hope that she's not attending my medical school, as has been rumored.

Lady Agnew

Lady Agnew

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2004 @ 8:47 PM

Woo. She looketh pretty. And so very much like her -- a lot of pics distort the features of models so that they look like their own first cousin or something. But that cover is beautifully of Elyse.

And is she truly the first ANTM-er to land a cover? I thought someone (Katie? the name escapes me) was on the cover of Jane or something. But my mind is like a sieve.

And MatrixMouse, she is truly my favorite reality show contestant of all time too! I figure it's because I relate to her. Make of that what you will.

Edited by Lady Agnew, Jun 26, 2004 @ 8:48 PM.

paradig_m

paradig_m

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2004 @ 7:24 PM

Elyse looks stunning on that cover. She definitely should've won. I wish her continued success.

Plechazunga

Plechazunga

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2004 @ 7:18 PM

Elyse will likely remain the Best Reality Contestant Evar because of her avowed affection for bad reality tv and, more importantly, that she keeps in mind that she's on a reality show and behaves, for the most part, accordingly -- as much as a viewer/fan as a contestant/character. Which causes me to wonder why she gets so much hatorism here, because if some fly-ass chick TWOP poster went on a reality show, she probably would maintain a similar distance* from the other characters.

*I'm beginning to think that it's this (ironic) detached distance Elyse has to the other girls that's being misidentified as snobbery/bitchery/etc.

delinquent

delinquent

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 29, 2004 @ 9:59 PM

I loved her the first time around and now I think I've reached a point beyond love. Woody Allen might call it "loave" or "luff."

Anyway.

I'm kicking myself for not recording it. Elyse's narration is pure gold. Her line about Shannon's 'heatwave' coinage? Had me rolling.

Did anyone notice that she had a Bust magazine with her a few episodes ago? It was a foot or two away from her on the floor, so it could have been someone else's, but I doubt it.

I e-mailed her last year and she actually responded! She kindly accepted my inane gushing and told me about her future plans.

Edited by delinquent, Jun 29, 2004 @ 10:01 PM.

maxell1313

maxell1313

Posted Jun 29, 2004 @ 11:45 PM

The whole "I'm so intellectually superior to everyone in this contest and I constantly talk about how modeling is shallow but I'm here anyway so that makes me better than you by a long shot" is grating on my last nerve. It's one thing to be smart, but to crow about it at every opportunity? She's got book smarts, but street smarts and common sense are sorely lacking. Sometimes you need those more than knowing the pythagorean theorum or biochemistry.

Tigris

Tigris

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 30, 2004 @ 2:55 PM

She bothers me. She hasn't shown how she has a superior intellect, instead of by saying that she does, and by knowing text book stuff. Someone who is very smart should be able to make the most of the conversation, or to judge what would be of interest to people, and discuss those topics with them. You can talk intellectually about the modelling industry, about religion, about all these types of things. And there are people there who are interested in those topics. With a little patience on her part, some very interesting and yes intellectual conversations could occur on topics she thinks are beneath her.

A friend of mine, who i consider very intelligent, found me annoying to talk to at first on topics of interest (for us it was politics, and corporations etc) because i was judgemental, and really not educated in those topics, and spoke more from feelings than from knowledge, but he talked to me more about it and i learned and improved myself. I think it would really have shown something about her intelligence if she sat down and talked with shannon or robyn about religion for example and had a debate about it, or even just to learn why they feel that way. With her "Intellect" the things that drive people should engage her curiosity, especially when it's on a topic she doesn't agree with or really understand.

Sukey Tawdry

Sukey Tawdry

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2004 @ 4:53 PM

Yeah, I'm really not impressed by her. I got the feeling she was a board favorite when this season first aired, so I was surprised that I haven't found her particularly charming. I would probably hang out with her (and Adrianne) if I were in that house, but in general she seems overly vitriolic--like she's just filled with venom. I guess being harrassed about a fake eating disorder would be annoying. But then there's her habit of talking about her intellectual superiority, which I find hilarious. It's like those kids who wore trench coats in high school and sneered about how they were smarter than everyone else or something. It betrays an alarming lack of social intelligence, in any case. Eh, she's not the devil, she just doesn't seem that wonderful to me.

lmwilker

lmwilker

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2004 @ 4:59 PM

I luff Elyse. She looked so gorgeous on the magazine cover. Good for her. I liked how she acknowleged that the situation was bringing out the worst in her and I could totally see Elyse as the skinny, gawky, awkward, bookworm that the "cute" girls picked on in middle school which could activate those feelings even more.

Tigris

Tigris

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 30, 2004 @ 5:25 PM

Did that ever happen to people in middle school? having the good looking people pick on the not so goodlooking people? I've never seen that except on tv. some people weren't as popular or didn't have many friends, though it tended to be because of their lack of hygeine (seriously! i remember a few, and that was the only reason i could think of) but even they were treated nicely at least. Elyse was probably never unattractive. Awkward maybe, if she had growth spurts when others weren't, but probably not unattractive. And if she was doing the best in her class, she probably wasn't being picked on (I was best in my class in 4 out of 5 years of high school, and people didnt' pick on me because of it. 5 years because of OAC).

I forgot about her saying that it brings the worst out of her. In that case, I let up on a lot of what I've said before, though I think someone who was generally pleasant would have dealt with the situation better. I have deffinitely known a lot of smart people who can be catty. It comes from being naturally competitive. That's probably where a lot of her anger is coming from. The viperish things that she's saying is probably from a combination of immaturity and lack of empathy for other people. I keep forgetting how young these girls are.

Plechazunga

Plechazunga

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2004 @ 6:01 PM

The viperish things that she's saying is probably from a combination of immaturity and lack of empathy for other people.

...or because she genuinely is taken aback by how inane the other people around her are. I talk maliciously about my former classmates at the drop of a hat for being dense. Behind-the-scenes gossipping about co-workers is a sanctioned recreation. The only thing one could reasonably roast Elyse on is she did what anyone else would do on national telly.

eta i.e. indiscretion is her greatest televised vice.

Edited by Plechazunga, Jun 30, 2004 @ 6:25 PM.

Ona

Ona

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 30, 2004 @ 8:08 PM

Former poster who's come out of hiding to declare my love for Elyse, the most intelligent and entertaining contestant on the show. (And, as a photographer, probably the only one I'd want to work with).

And by the way, my 12 year old Harry Potter obsessed little brother would be intellectually superior to most of the contestants. Elyse is probably sick of having to dumb herself down just to make small talk with the girls, and if I was living with a bunch of bible bangers, I'd be pretty bitter too.

Rina99

Rina99

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2004 @ 9:27 PM

Ahhh, Elyse. I still have yet to find any reality show contestant that inspired anything close to the lurrrve I have for Elyse. I'm glad she's still making money and doing well, and hopefully enjoying herself!

Navelgazer

Navelgazer

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2004 @ 2:52 AM

...or because she genuinely is taken aback by how inane the other people around her are.

If she can't handle being around stupid people, then she should stick to research and avoid clinical medicine. Otherwise she'll tear her hair out when dealing with patients who don't know what pills they're taking, who smoke even though their lungs are full of cancer, and who come to the emergency department every week because of anxiety issues which they mistake for life-threatening heart problems.

Just sayin'. I hate premeds who announce their intention of becoming a doctor at every opportunity, and act like their ass should be licked. Once you're in med school, you realize fast that it's a lot of hard work, a lot of following orders, and a lot of trying to communicate with people who aren't always so good at articulating themselves. If she can't handle being around a group of less intelligent models for a few weeks without having a meltdown, I see a future in radiology or in the laboratory for her.

ETA: By the way, I'm not sure the eating disorder was fake...she looks seriously unhealthy to me, and even her buddy Adrienne indicated that something was fishy. Obviously nothing can be proven based on the footage we saw, but I don't think we can say definitively whether she had one or not, just because Elyse and her boyfriend claim that she loves ice cream or whatever. I think I really began to loathe Elyse when she said that of course she couldn't have an eating disorder, because she was so dang smart and knew much more about eating disorders than any of the other girls. Well honey, if you did know a lot about eating disorders, you would realize that chicks like you often develop them. I know several female medical students who are extremely intelligent, driven, and arrogant who suffer from eating disorders. Just because you're smart and know what they are doesn't mean you can't have one.

Edited by Navelgazer, Jul 1, 2004 @ 3:01 AM.

vicesick

vicesick

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2004 @ 2:25 PM

I loved her the first time around and now I think I've reached a point beyond love. Woody Allen might call it "loave" or "luff."

I like to call it....lurrrrve.

Elyse just cracks my shit up!!! I really think the group dynamic is coming into play here, she even said herself that the worst parts of her personality were coming out in the situation. I used to be in a performing group chock full o' ladies (one dude, the announcer) and I truly am mystified by my behavior there. One on one, I like all the women. As a group, it was like a 15-headed snake beast ready to strike!

I think most women have a somewhat tenuous relationship with food. Elyse seems to feel good about her body. I know, she wants to stay that skinny and that's a bit scary. At the same time, I have read a few studies showing how eating much less is actually good for you and can extend your life span significantly. She doesn't look like she's dying to me, or thin beyond her body's comfort level. I know Adrianne was worried too, but the fact that Robin used it as a way to make Elyse seem like she shouldn't be there (jeebus, how many fucking ways does she go out of her way to alienate Elyse?), makes me wanna say it isn't true. If I heard her say something like, "Oh, no, I eat cookies and pastries all day long," well, that's like the red banner for eating disorders. She seems aware that she eats little, and doesn't obsess all that much.

caffeine72

caffeine72

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 1, 2004 @ 11:05 PM

I'm staying pretty neutral on the Elyse eating disorder thing. I have a friend who stayed Elyse thin for years without doing anything, except having a job that kept her on her feet. Girl ate anything and was naturally skeletal. Some people just have that metabolism. Fortunately, going to grad school and sitting in desks all of the time has knocked her weight up a bit. She's excited to have a butt. I think this means that the ass of her jeans is no longer concave. Don't even get me started on my current and ex-boyfriends' metabolism. I've gained plenty just keeping up with them.

I'm not naturally THAT thin, but while I was seriously ill for over a year I had the eating disorder accusation thrown at me repeatedly at work, by friends, and (most fun) by doctors who wouldn't listen to me. I got very defensive very fast about it. A lot of it was due to the tone and attitude people would take towards me when 'expressing concern'. They wouldn't ask a morbidly obese person standing next to me if they were a compulsive eater, but it was perfectly all right to them to grill me about what I ate, monitor me in public, and time the difference between my eating and my bathroom trips. And compare notes. I started yelling at people after a few months of that, too. And carrying around endoscopy pictures detailing why I was losing weight. And whipping them out. At restaurants. I could make anyone anorexic.

Am I smoking crack, or do I remember correctly (from back when season one first aired) that she said in an interview somewhere that she was interested in medical research, rather than clinical? She reminds me a lot of the MD/PhD candidates that I work with sometimes. Nice and articulate, but kind of removed from the real world.

And Tigris, people can really be that cruel. Not just for appearance, but also economic status, clothing choices, music choices, intelligence, independence, or anything that bucked the herd. My school had its own little group of Heathers, and they were truly evil people. To the point of physical assault. Of course, I've kept track quietly, and they've wound up pretty miserable. Schadenfreude is healthy, right?

Psyche78

Psyche78

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 2, 2004 @ 9:53 AM

Did that ever happen to people in middle school? having the good looking people pick on the not so goodlooking people? I've never seen that except on tv. some people weren't as popular or didn't have many friends, though it tended to be because of their lack of hygeine (seriously! i remember a few, and that was the only reason i could think of) but even they were treated nicely at least.

Ah, middle school. What hell that was. I was picked on mercilessly in middle school, and it didn't realy stop until I ditched the coke bottle glasses for contacts , started dressing "trendy," and my figure came in. Remembering the hurtful things people said to me in middle school about the way I looked make me look forward to my high school reunion...

More on subject, caffeine, I know how you feel about people questioning whether you have an eating disorder. When I went hyperthyroid for the first time, I dropped 20 pounds and was pretty skeletal. My mom kept accusing me of being anorexic, and it drove me nuts trying to explain to her that I was losing weight on purpose. I really empathize with Elyse. Even though I've gained the weight back, my eating philosophy is like Elyse's: I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. And I've had quite a few friends make mean-spirited remarks about how I "never eat." It gets old, fast.

Elyse is definitely my fave. Her intellectual superiority can a bit tiring, but she definitely appears to be the smartest of the bunch, and definitely the most snarky.

Ona

Ona

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 2, 2004 @ 2:58 PM

And she seems to keep things in perspective more than anyone else.