Access Hollywood

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

277 replies to this topic

Rydell

Rydell

Posted Jun 16, 2004 @ 7:33 PM

Looks like "Access Hollywood" has parted ways with Pat O'Brien and made Billy Bush the new co-anchor with Nancy O'Dell.

Here's the press release from "Access Hollywood":

NANCY O’DELL AND BILLY BUSH SET AS NEW CO-ANCHORS OF 'ACCESS HOLLYWOOD'

June 16, 2004

O’Dell Renews Contract To Remain As Co-Anchor Into Newsmagazine’s Second Decade

Bush to Move From New York to Los Angeles for New Post

Nancy O'Dell and Billy Bush have been named the new co-anchors of "Access Hollywood," it was announced today by Barry Wallach, President, NBC Universal Domestic Television Distribution and Rob Silverstein, Executive Producer, "Access Hollywood."

"Nancy O'Dell and Billy Bush are the perfect team to take 'Access Hollywood' into our second decade," says Silverstein. "Nancy has proven over the past eight years to be the preeminent entertainment news journalist and the best celebrity interviewer in the business, while Billy in just two short years, has been a game changer. The teaming of Nancy and Billy is the perfect fit for 'Access Hollywood,' as we continue to add stations and watch the ratings grow."

Silverstein added, "We'd like to thank Pat O'Brien for his seven years on the show. Without him, we wouldn't have reached the place we are today."

O'Dell, who was on the original team that launched "Access Hollywood" eight years ago, has extended her contract into the show's second decade to remain as co-anchor of the hit entertainment newsmagazine. Bush, who most recently served as the show's East Coast Correspondent, will re-locate from New York to Los Angeles for his newly appointed position. Shaun Robinson and Tony Potts will continue to serve as weekend co-anchors and correspondents for "Access Hollywood."

"Nancy and Billy represent the future of 'Access Hollywood' and we are very excited to have them at the helm of our franchise magazine series," says Wallach. "Nancy has proven her talent over the last eight years and Billy has become an important part of the show over the course of the last few seasons. Having just completed our highest May sweep ever and with all-time record access time period clearances, 'Access Hollywood' is in a great position as it heads into its ninth season."

O'Dell, who was named one of Electronic Media's 10 Most Bankable Stars in Syndication, was part of "Access Hollywood's" on-air team when the show launched in 1996, serving as weekend co-anchor and weekday correspondent. In January 1999, O'Dell was promoted to co-anchor, and has since earned a reputation as one of Hollywood's leading entertainment journalists. In addition to her on-air duties at "Access Hollywood," O'Dell contributes reports to both NBC News' "Today" show, and "Dateline."

Before joining "Access Hollywood," O'Dell served as co-anchor and investigative reporter for NBC's Miami station, WTVJ-TV. Prior to that she worked as a morning news anchor and crime reporter at WCBD-TV in Charleston, S.C. O'Dell began her broadcast career as a reporter and anchor at WPDE-TV in Myrtle Beach, S.C.

A native of South Carolina, she was inducted into that state's Hall of Fame in 1998 as the youngest member ever in recognition of her journalistic success. O'Dell is a summa cum laude honors graduate of Clemson University.

Bush joined "Access Hollywood" as its East Coast Correspondent in December 2001, and has quickly gained notoriety among the Hollywood elite for his engaging, witty and spontaneous reporting style. In addition to his on-air duties at "Access Hollywood," Bush also contributes reports to NBC News "Today" show.

Before joining "Access Hollywood," Bush was a correspondent for WNBC-TV's "Today in New York," morning show. Prior to making the move to television, Bush served as host of WWZZ-FM's "Billy Bush and the Bush League Morning Show" in Washington, D.C. He began his broadcast career hosting the afternoon drive show on WLKZ-FM in New Hampshire.

Bush earned a bachelor's degree in International Studies and Government at Colby College in Maine, where he was a two-time captain of the men's lacrosse team. He will soon reside in Los Angeles with his wife, Sydney and their two daughters.

"Access Hollywood" is produced by NBC and distributed by NBC Universal Domestic Television Distribution. Rob K. Silverstein is the executive producer.

Edited by Rydell, Jun 26, 2004 @ 4:55 PM.

Natchou

Natchou

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2004 @ 9:45 AM

I'm sorry to ask this, but is it just me or is Billy Bush in love with Heidi Klum or something?!? I mean, everytime he does an interview with her, he looks like he just wants to jump on her and, you know...

Rydell

Rydell

Posted Jun 17, 2004 @ 10:25 AM

Billy Bush always acts like a drooling, horny idiot when he's around supermodels. His wife must be a good sport about it.

Annlindgk

Annlindgk

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2004 @ 10:27 AM

Apparently Pat O'Brien is leaving to host the ET spinoff The Insider. Just what we need--another famewhore magazine show.

groundhog

groundhog

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2004 @ 2:49 PM

Billy acts like a drooling, horny idiot when he's interviewing anybody. The man is the definition of ass-kisser. And that laugh. HATE!

Edited by groundhog, Jun 17, 2004 @ 2:49 PM.

Sideshow Al

Sideshow Al

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2004 @ 7:39 PM

Noooo! We don't need to see Billy the Bush Rat getting higher-profile broadcasting gigs! Admittedly, I honestly can't put my finger on why this ninety-eight pound sycophant annoys me so; but he undeniably does!

Ty

Ty

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2004 @ 1:08 AM

Looks like Tony Potts got screwed.

Slashgirl

Slashgirl

Posted Jun 18, 2004 @ 10:22 AM

[Billy Bush] is the definition of ass-kisser.

Well, you're half right.

Titus

Titus

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2004 @ 1:49 PM

One thing that bugs me about AH (other than Bush) is that whenever they do a "black" story, they always haul out Shaun whatshername. Movie premiere for Will/Vin/Denzel? Yup. NAACP Awards? Yup. It's kind of uncomfortable. Nancy, Pat, Tony, and Billy can all suck up and ask dumb questions equally well.

vellma

vellma

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 18, 2004 @ 7:07 PM

One thing that bugs me about AH (other than Bush) is that whenever they do a "black" story, they always haul out Shaun whatshername. Movie premiere for Will/Vin/Denzel? Yup. NAACP Awards? Yup. It's kind of uncomfortable.

I think I finally figured out why this is: she hosts TVOne Access, the black spinoff of AH. I happened to be flipping through the channels over the weekend and there she was. She has extended interviews of interviews shown on AH., plus stuff that never airs on AH.

Rydell

Rydell

Posted Jun 26, 2004 @ 5:00 PM

One thing that bugs me about AH (other than Bush) is that whenever they do a "black" story, they always haul out Shaun whatshername.

I noticed that too but maybe she wants to do those stories. And if Access Hollywood had a white reporter covering most of the "black celebrity stories" then there'd be people complaining that a black reporter should be the one to cover those stories. Either way, you can't please everyone.

luv2surf

luv2surf

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 20, 2004 @ 7:17 PM

Well, I'm late to the game. I just read re.O'Brien's termination over at TV Guide's Insider as part of the TCA Press Tour for July 19th if anyone wants to take a gander. It basically makes fun of the fact that he travels with a pack of lawyers these days over the issues with AH and NBC.

Apparently, he is still signed on to do the Olympics with NBC which O'Brien says makes him a little uncomfortable seeing as he feels screwed over by the suits there. I must admit I wonder why he was dropped, he seemed to be a fairly popular host, as much as one annoying H-town, ass-kissing 'news'magazine can be anyways. Better than Mary Hart, that's for sure. It's too bad Fallon left SNL, the only thing I liked him doing was O'Brien send-ups and a skit about this dust up would be gold.

lynettefl

lynettefl

Stalker

Posted Jul 20, 2004 @ 7:22 PM

O'Brien wanted more money from NBC, so he left?

nerdyduck

nerdyduck

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2004 @ 8:14 PM

Actually, O'Brien's contract was up and he decided not to renew, if I read correctly.

I really hate Billy Bush. Especially after the pre-Oscars show where he embarrassed Keisha Castle-Hughes so badly. I can't stand him.

Rydell

Rydell

Posted Jul 20, 2004 @ 8:54 PM

Actually, O'Brien's contract was up and he decided not to renew, if I read correctly.

That's probably right, based on what's happened. A recap of recent events:

1. "Access Hollywood" announces that Pat O'Brien is leaving.

2. News leaks out that Pat O'Brien has been hired as the anchor of "The Insider," a new syndicated newsmagazine that is a spinoff of "Entertainment Tonight." "The Insider" premieres in September.

3. NBC (which owns "Access Hollywood") files a lawsuit saying that Pat O'Brien can't promote "The Insider" until his contract with "Access Hollywood" is officially up.

4. NBC has now dropped the lawsuit/complaint.

Looks to me like NBC/"Access Hollywood" is the jilted party here. If they had fired Pat O'Brien, I doubt they'd be putting up such a big stink because he moved on and got another job.

Edited by Rydell, Jul 23, 2004 @ 12:54 AM.

luv2surf

luv2surf

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 20, 2004 @ 9:03 PM

files a lawsuit saying that Pat O'Brien can't promote "The Insider" until his contract with "Access Hollywood" is officially up.
4. NBC has now dropped the lawsuit/complaint

Oh, okay. I'm glad I asked cause that was unclear in the article I read which seemed to be more on the Pat side of things vs. the Networks. I must say I'm surprised they think yet another type of these shows is needed what with ET, AH, Extra, Inside Hollywood, Hollywood Justice, and so on. But what do I care, I stopped watching these things a while ago and I won't be watching the new one regardless. Thanks for the replys guys.

Rydell

Rydell

Posted Jul 23, 2004 @ 12:56 AM

Another update/clarification: NBC hasn't dropped the lawsuit against Pat O'Brien, but the company has dropped its request to seek an injunction against him for promoting "The Insider." I doubt this lawsuit will make it to court.

Tashanir

Tashanir

Posted Jul 24, 2004 @ 10:23 AM

About two years ago I did an interview with Today in New York. At the time, Billy Bush was their field reporter or something like that. He came to one of my events and was the biggest, most obnoxious jackass. Rude, intrusive to my guests and just completely full of himself.

Rydell

Rydell

Posted Aug 1, 2004 @ 12:03 PM

Billy Bush is so talentless and obnoxious that it's obvious wouldn't have made such a big career leap from local TV to a national TV program if he weren't related to the president of the United States.

ontheroof

ontheroof

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 23, 2004 @ 12:58 PM

Don't know this got missed, but here's a story about a nasty e-mail that Pat O'Brien -- on his way out the door -- sent to weekend anchor Shaun Robinson. Fun!

Screamie

Screamie

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2004 @ 1:52 AM

Wow, thanks for that link ontheroof. I never took Pat as that type of guy, but it was obvious that his sudden exit meant something.

I'm probably the only person on Earth that doesn't mind Billy Bush. I certainly prefer him over 95% of the anchors on ET.

Major Misfit

Major Misfit

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2004 @ 7:39 PM

I turned this show on to see the train wreck that is Jonathan and Victoria from TAR and, my god, the very first piece on the show was a glowing travelogue about Michael Jackson's Neverland. I mean, it was practically praising him -- no, it was praising him for his opening the gates at Neverland and treating kids to a holiday party. I guess Asskiss didn't get the memo about Michael Jackson's upcoming pedophilia case.

I mean, just unbelievable. I will never, no matter how tempting, ever watch this show again.

lurk3000

lurk3000

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 21, 2004 @ 8:32 PM

Yup....I happened to stumble upon AH and saw that. It was all just PR BS. Sickening. Oh and Billy Bush? Please get the fuck off my TV. Thanks.

Cherry Delight

Cherry Delight

Posted Dec 22, 2004 @ 10:52 AM

More vomit-inducing dreck from "Access Hollywood": The show named Britney Spears "Star of the Year." For what? What did she do this year except get married twice in tacky weddings, cancel a tour, get rid of the manager who made her a star, parade around loser Kevin Federline as if he were some great catch, and generally act like a trashy bimbo?

Edited by Cherry Delight, Dec 27, 2004 @ 10:18 AM.

Preciosa

Preciosa

Posted Dec 22, 2004 @ 11:33 AM

Exactly. All highly entertaining.Think of the delicious snark...

johnnya2k4

johnnya2k4

Posted Dec 26, 2004 @ 7:01 PM

Hey, anyone miss the early days when Larry Mendte and Giselle Fernandez used to anchor AH when it premiered in 1996, and Nancy O'Dell was the weekend host? It went to hell the moment Pat O'Brien joined the show after spending so many years at CBS Sports, and it still continues to go down the shithole with Billy Bush on board (now that POB's at The Insider). At least Nancy's still there.

And it's not just the Fox News Channel-like graphics and attitude that's keeping me farther away from the show, it's the gimmicks that flopped. The "Hollywood Face-Off" pieces had a very similar Crossfire-ish show on ESPN cry out "RIPOFF!!!!"; the "AMC Access" (on AMC) and "Real Access" (on Noggin/The N) spinoff shows were bombs; and now they've got Adrianna Costa who's trying so hard to become AH's version of the one and only Maria Menounos...and it's failing because she's no match to Miss Menounos!!!

At least the only success story to come out of Access was Jeff Probst being one of their reporters for a time...and look where he is now!

Cherry Delight

Cherry Delight

Posted Dec 27, 2004 @ 10:02 AM

Not this makes this any better, but Access Hollywood said the show named Britney Spears "Star of the Year" was because she was the star who had the most stories on Access Hollywood this year. Whatever.

Ty

Ty

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2005 @ 7:57 PM

Looks like AH's "Paris-free zone" went right out the window once sweeps came around.

Preciosa

Preciosa

Posted Feb 23, 2005 @ 7:33 AM

But did you notice how Billy rolled his eys when he said her name? Plus you have to admit that this story could not be avoided.

Ty

Ty

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2005 @ 3:52 PM

Today's story about her doing I Dream of Jeanie on American Dreams is definitely avoidable.