Bridezillas

• Please log in to reply

5216 replies to this topic

bosoxgirl

bosoxgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2004 @ 12:05 PM

I searched and searched and couldn't find a topic for this show. I can't possibly be the only person at TWoP who is watching this. Anyone? Nana? I believe that there was a edited, one-hour version on Fox last year but this is the whole series.
I think it's a hilarious trainwreck. It follows eight brides (and one gay man marrying his beard) as they terrorize their families, friends and assorted wedding planners. It also features a narrator who sounds as though he got lost on his way to a PBS documentary and makes a lovely counterpoint to the shrillness of the brides. It's on the WE channel at 10:00 pm on Mondays.

Edited by bosoxgirl, Jun 16, 2004 @ 12:08 PM.

Pinot Grigio

Pinot Grigio

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 16, 2004 @ 12:48 PM

Bosoxgirl, I agree! I caught it last season when it ran in NYC on the Metro channel, and now I'm enjoying its second run. My personal favorites are Miho, the Japanese ice princess, and Julia, the totally psychotic, self-absorbed 45-year old who is spending her life savings on "her day." I feel especially sorry for their respective wedding planners, both of whom seem very normal and nice.

ChocolateCherry

ChocolateCherry

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2004 @ 1:15 PM

wooooo, I was afraid to start a post, for fear there already was one. I saw one episode months ago on Discovery, I think. Now I have this show programmed into my TiVo because it is just great.
J.Lo made wedding planning look like so much fun.

Vanessa (???), you get a fairytale wedding AND an 8,000 dollar necklace . . . you SUCK
Karen, sadly if I planned a wedding this is what I might be like, but she's still a beeyotch
Julia, She looks so old and haggard, which is why she's sooooooo excited about this wedding.
MiHo, Wow.
The blond lady who wants her Dad to walk down the aisle and leave her so she can get a spotlight moment. Delusional much?

jenners

jenners

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 16, 2004 @ 2:12 PM

Yay for TWoP! I watched this over the weekend and was thinking about how snarkalicious it was, but couldn't find a thread either. I figured I was alone in my fascination. The ep that I saw featured some great voice overs (especially about that $8000 necklace) and editing. My sympathies were always with the poor grooms.

snarkfan

snarkfan

Posted Jun 16, 2004 @ 2:45 PM

I saw bits and pieces of this show when it was one Fox. I remember the necklace incident and just could not believe how far these two were willing to go to drape themselves in glitz and glamor. All to one-up everyeon else in their circle of family and (presuming a bit much here but...) friends. I wonder if they are even still together as of the re-airing of the show. You could tell that hubby-to-be had some real issues but still bowed down to the little princess. It would have been fine if they truly had the financial means to then continue in this lifestyle, but I clearly recall that everything ws going into the wedding. hubby-to-be had a real edge in his voice when he mentioned how it could have bought them a house and her shrillness jumped in with 'but this is what we both wanted' followed by a nice pregnant pause by the now browbeater wearing hubby-to-be.

walthk2002

walthk2002

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 16, 2004 @ 2:48 PM

As a bride who is currently planning her wedding I find Bridezillas particularly fascinating. Mostly because these women are a bunch of psychos and I thank God that I have never thought of spending my savings on the wedding or that I never thought it would be appropriate to have my dad pushed to the side on his way down the aisle so people could adore me alone for a little bit. I can't wait for the first nervous breakdown - my vote is for the now savings-less 45 year old.

whip1

whip1

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2004 @ 2:53 PM

I keep hearing about this show but haven't found it on tv at all. Can you tell me what channel I should be watching in order to catch it? And what time/day does it usually come on?

Oh yeah, bride here too.

Edited by whip1, Jun 16, 2004 @ 2:54 PM.

Druck

Druck

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2004 @ 3:13 PM

I wonder what the spoiler policy should be for this, the whole series was shown on METRO TV last year, and a Best of was shown on FOX. Im guessing that anything goes since this stuff has aired already.

I forgot how boring this show was the first time around (as a guy), when I watched it with my wife. Ugh. Im hoping she forgets what day its on next week.

Plus the fact that I don't think there is a likeable person in the whole bunch. Which is a problem when all the brides suck and there's nobody to "root" for. I wonder if the makers of this show told the brides what the deal was, because there are some real unpleasant personalities collected here.

Feh, I forgot about that whole necklace debacle. Oy Veh.

I loved how Miho's Beard couldnt remember the name of that one particular cheese, even though the LOVE it, and its their FAVORITE. Blech. Guy probably spent $150.00 in a fru-fru food store for $20 worth of food.

I spent the duration of this series wishing that Beard would crash into the back of some taxi with that bitch ass Vespa of his.

This show should be Exhibit 1 if the Right to Marry issue ever goes to court. They can play this tape and say "Look, if these fuck-heads can get married, then why the hell can't I?"

Pinot Grigio

Pinot Grigio

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 16, 2004 @ 3:18 PM

whip1, it's been airing on WE nightly, usually at 10 p.m. eastern.

Also, is anyone else shocked by the costs of these weddings? They're averaging around $90 - $100k, and it seems like mostly parents are picking up the tabs. Yowzas!

Selma04

Selma04

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2004 @ 3:25 PM

I wonder if the makers of this show told the brides what the deal was, because there are some real unpleasant personalities collected here.

I remember reading that the brides on the FOX show were asked to participate in a show about stressed-out brides preparing for their weddings, and only found out when it aired that it was called Bridezillas. And, of course, claimed that they're really nice, sane women who were edited badly. I wonder how they got participants for a series.

I mostly remember that scene where the blond woman -- Julia? -- was getting a custom-made dress for her rehearsal dinner, and called the dressmaker every ten minutes to remind her about the color, until she finally hung up on her. And the one who had a breakdown at the wedding because the food wasn't up to the standards people expect for a Manhattan wedding. Ugh.

I'd love a follow-up. I can't imagine that any of these marriages survived.

This show should be Exhibit 1 if the Right to Marry issue ever goes to court. They can play this tape and say "Look, if these fuck-heads can get married, then why the hell can't I?"

Hee. Well, said.

Crumpet

Crumpet

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2004 @ 3:46 PM

I'd love a follow-up. I can't imagine that any of these marriages survived.

Joe and Miho live a block away from me, and I have seen them both on the street many times. So, unless something has changed in the past few months (which it could have, of course) they are still married.

Another random Bridezillas connection: Emmitt (Karen's fiance) worked in my building.

ChocolateCherry

ChocolateCherry

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2004 @ 4:27 PM

Bridezillas fight back?
Quick Cast summary

Bridezillas and Groomonsters, hee hee. So I found out that the FOX special was created in cahoots with WE which had the bulk of the footage for this lovely series we're all discussing. Something like that.
Apparently a Bride support group was up in arms over the show along with the Bridezillas. They say that society makes these women want the ideal fairytale wedding, society tells me that I should starve myself and invest in fake boobs and a weave, haven't done it yet.

Edited by ChocolateCherry, Jun 16, 2004 @ 4:30 PM.

binkbink

binkbink

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2004 @ 5:30 PM

The blond lady who wants her Dad to walk down the aisle and leave her so she can get a spotlight moment. Delusional much?

And the way that she totally ignored her fiancee's dislike of the idea - priceless.

My favorite for most hated was the woman half of the couple with the 3 year old daughter. She said something along the lines of, "I'm planning all of this, and I hate you" to her guy.

I'm so so glad that we eloped.

bosoxgirl

bosoxgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2004 @ 5:41 PM

I knew there were other TWoPPers snarking on this show! I have only seen two episodes so far but every time I decide that I hate one Bridezilla the most, then the next one completely surpasses her. I guess that's the definition of a snarkworthy show.

It would have been fine if they truly had the financial means to then continue in this lifestyle, but I clearly recall that everything ws going into the wedding. hubby-to-be had a real edge in his voice when he mentioned how it could have bought them a house and her shrillness jumped in with 'but this is what we both wanted' followed by a nice pregnant pause by the now browbeater wearing hubby-to-be.

Now that was a beautiful scene: "We both wanted the big wedding" followed by utter silence. Um, sure you did, sweetie. And you both wanted a diamond necklace. I loved it when she said that the necklace was worth it because she could wear it every day. I mean, I know the rules have been relaxed somewhat regarding diamond jewelry in the daytime, but that necklace? No. Just, no.

Karen is just a bitch. The worst part of a wedding is the ignorance of the groom? And she doesn't know why she's going to all this trouble because she hates him. All because he wouldn't agree to her staying in a $1400 a night suite at the W. Nice. Very nice. A whole lotta love going on there, I could tell.

Joe and Miho? Did someone say INS marriage? I'm sorry, but Joe is not what you would call, um, what's the word I'm looking for? Oh yes, straight. And Miho is a cold, cold woman. That scene at the airport? Chilling.

God. So much hate for all these people. I can't wait until next week's episode.

I spent the duration of this series wishing that Beard would crash into the back of some taxi with that bitch ass Vespa of his.

Heh. Me too.

And Exhibit 2 is J. Lo.

Edited by bosoxgirl, Jun 16, 2004 @ 5:45 PM.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2004 @ 9:10 PM

Joe and Miho? Did someone say INS marriage? I'm sorry, but Joe is not what you would call, um, what's the word I'm looking for? Oh yes, straight. And Miho is a cold, cold woman. That scene at the airport? Chilling.

Why, if they're doing an INS marriage, would they put it on TV? I agree, however, I thought he was very green as in 'green card.'

I got a kick at how they had a voice over of him talking about how 'in sync' they were when they were together at the same time they were showing a clip of them walking and she was about five feet behind him.

The other brides I see as classic bridezillas. Miho and Joe? Loveless. It's in the way she calls him babe.

whip1, it's been airing on WE nightly, usually at 10 p.m. eastern.

Nightly? I thought it was every Monday and then repeated throughout the week? If it's nightly then I've been missing episodes.

timeonmyhands

timeonmyhands

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2004 @ 10:45 PM

I got married less than 5 years ago and with a ton of good planning and budgeting I was able to have an amazing wedding for less than $5000 total. I know I'm biased but honestly, almost all of our guests said it was the most beautiful/elegant/fun wedding/reception they've ever been to. Plus, my husband and I (and everyone else there)had a great time. I didn't have to spend $5000 on flowers or a custom made rehersal dinner dress to have a good time. I didn't have to have a stroke planning the wedding in order to make it good. Knowing how fantastic my wedding was I am just amazed that these women and how stupid they are.

The one that got the necklace? Yeah, I'm not a violent person by any means but when that spoiled little bitch got that necklace I wanted to track her down and beat her bloody. I think her husband-to-be should have spent the money on testicle replacement surgery instead.

Edited by timeonmyhands, Jun 16, 2004 @ 10:46 PM.

jenners

jenners

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 16, 2004 @ 11:17 PM

And here I was just thinking he was spineless. I like your explanation better.

MaryWebGirl

MaryWebGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2004 @ 2:02 AM

I know there was a thread when this first aired on Fox last year, but maybe it died? If someone can dig it up, I remember one of the grooms featured posted on it and claimed that they were going to try and sue the producers.

bosoxgirl

bosoxgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2004 @ 10:20 AM

I forgot all about Cynthia the actress until I read the link to the cast posted by ChocolateCherry. She didn't seem too bad to me, unless they have more footage of her that they haven't shown yet. If I were her, I would definitely be angry at the producers for calling me a Bridezilla. The rest of them deserve what they got.

Why, if they're doing an INS marriage, would they put it on TV? I agree, however, I thought he was very green as in 'green card.'

Hiding in plain sight? I don't know but they didn't seem like a real couple at all.

snarkfan

snarkfan

Posted Jun 17, 2004 @ 11:58 AM

I know there was a thread when this first aired on Fox last year, but maybe it died? If someone can dig it up, I remember one of the grooms featured posted on it and claimed that they were going to try and sue the producers. 

Yes because we all know that its always the editing. None of them actaully said exactly what was on camera. And the really horrific behavior was actually performed by stunt doubles.

On the matter of expensive weddings. I just went to one that was very expensive. However the people could afford, both in their mid-thirties, own a house etc. What impressed me, was that they adopted a budget and then stuck to it strictly and more importantly, adopted the rule that whatever was spent on the ceremony had to leave three times that to be spent on the reception. That included gowns etc. They wanted at least 3/4 spent on the reception. Because that was the most important aspect for them -- having a great time with their guests.

I remember my rather caustic maiden great-aunt when my over-the-top snob cousin was gushing about her wedding plans. My great aunt told my cousin that trying to impress everyone with the glitz and glitter was actually nothing more than a backhanded attempt to rub people's noses in what she had and they didn't. A more effective way would be to just have have her groom drop trou in the middle of ceremony and show everyone what she was really getting in the deal. Bitch cousin tried to put auntie at a reaer table. Needless to say Mom, sis and I made sure she as at the second table with us, front and center.

The gist of the matter is that weddings continue to be used as a gentile weapon of revenge and pride. It amazes me that no matter how self-absorbed these people get they still hold on to that philosophy and try to pay it out in spades.

I haven't heard the word fun or any concern for the guests at all yet. Maybe that is coming. And yes the wedding is about the bride and groom. But there is a reason why you call all those people you want to set everything else aside and share that day with you 'guests'. And yes the slight bitterness does have to do with the fridge dotted with several wedding invites in the next two months.

bosoxgirl

bosoxgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 18, 2004 @ 9:01 AM

Well, I was right. Cynthia the actress is pissed at the producers of the show. This is in today's Salon. You either need to subscribe or watch a short ad to enter the site.
Salon article

ETA:
I thought she had been fairly low-key (at least compared to the others) if a little, well, actressy. Does anyone know if they show more of her bad behavior in later episodes?

Edited by bosoxgirl, Jun 18, 2004 @ 9:13 AM.

isabella19

isabella19

Posted Jun 18, 2004 @ 10:58 AM

I saw this last year on Life Channel in Canada. Loved it! As for Joe and Miho, I thought he did it so his parents could see for sure that he was getting married and therefore couldn't on any account be gay. No way. Straight as anything. Marrying that sexy Japanese lady who clearly loves him to bits.

Edited by isabella19, Jun 18, 2004 @ 2:58 PM.

beezer

beezer

Stalker

Posted Jun 18, 2004 @ 2:34 PM

BoSoxGirl -

Oh hell yes. :D They're all heinous witches. Cynthia only seems normal at first - at least that's how it went when this was on the first two times. I don't know if you want to know in detail or not, so I'll leave it vague.

I haven't seen it this go-round, I saw it on Fox and then on Metro and I just saw this thread. Bitches is craaazy. Especially Julia and the scary one with the kid. I admit I don't understand spending any amount of money on a wedding, beyond a license fee, but still, they're ridiculously offensive with the tens of thousands (or hundreds of thousands) of dollars on this frou frou idiocy. I find it fairly obscene. Julia with her life savings is both pathetic and obscene.

How many episodes are they doing this time? I seem to recall it was just a couple on Fox and then it was like, endless on Metro, but there's like, nothing else on Metro.

SnowDog

SnowDog

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2004 @ 2:51 PM

snarkfan: And the really horrific behavior was actually performed by stunt doubles.

Funny you should say that. One of the shots in the commercial for the Fox episode featured a zaftig woman shouting into a cell phone, "I'm a lawyer and I can sue you for every penny!" After watching the entire episode, it dawned on me that the woman wasn't even one of the brides. Apparently the brides didn't do anything quite so bitchy so the producers decided to add in a non-bride.

bosoxgirl

bosoxgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 18, 2004 @ 3:34 PM

beezer,
Thanks! Good to know there will be more bad behavior. I love crazy brides, all the more so because I. Just. Don't. Get. It. I completely lack the bride gene and I find it fascinating and horrifying in equal measure.
I think my cable listing said it's eight parts.

Edited by bosoxgirl, Jun 18, 2004 @ 3:43 PM.

Endora

Endora

Posted Jun 19, 2004 @ 8:37 AM

This is the one where one of the grooms wants Guiness right? If so, I think there was TWOP coverage and maybe even a recap when the 1 hr. thing aired. And I think a recapper interviewed or had an e-mail exchange w/Guiness boy.

Yikes. I'm definitely eloping to Vegas if I ever get married. Or maybe a wedding luncheon or brunch or tea. Unfortunately, the wedding beyond one's means is quite a popular concept where I live/have family (Staten Island/Brooklyn). And it's spread to other areas outside of weddings. A local paper carried an article about a jr. high principal who banned limos to the 8th grade "prom" and how parents tried to challenge both principal and principle.

The sad thing is these aren't wealthy areas where people have that kind of money to spare. They go into debt for it and/or continue renting instead of buying a home. Several people I know who did this say they wish they spent the money on a downpayment for a home instead. One of my aunts borrowed against her pension fund so my cousin could wear a several thousand $ dress (back in the lates 80s) for her wedding. My family is basically blue/pink collar working class. I think it's stupid to spend money you don't have or to borrow against retirement funds to keep up w/the Joneses. I swear, the next time I'm invited to one of these things, I'm giving a Suze Orman book as an engagement gift.

Edited by Endora, Jun 19, 2004 @ 8:46 AM.

jmsteve

jmsteve

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2004 @ 12:31 PM

Julia, Vanessa, and Karen are my *favorites*. In that order.

Julia won me over with her "you can tell I'm a classy woman" comment and the "demure" eyelash batting when trying on her gown.

Vanessa gets second for the "but that wasn't the final decision" comment.

And Karen took what was left just by being crazy. :)

MaryWebGirl

MaryWebGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2004 @ 4:59 PM

Thanks Endora! I knew there was a reason I was associating this with Mondo Extras in my mind.

Recap by Alex Richmond.

prettyfeet

prettyfeet

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 20, 2004 @ 7:46 PM

Oh. My. Gawd.

Just watched one of the eps today (the guy married his Japanese bride, for reference because I was so appalled at these women that I forgot every single one of their names).

Karen - if I were her fiance - boom, to the moon, Alice. What a freaking bitch - she was so mean to her fiance, I was astounded that he didn't get up and walk out. There's being cranky, having PMS and being a ginormous pain in the ass. She clearly was at mach 10 on the PITA scale. Really now, what groom wants to hear his lovely bride to be telling the world how much she hates him?

Miho - oh yeah, we didn't see much of her, but I can smell the control freaking going on even from here. Good thing, 'cause Joe is about as p-whipped as any man I've ever seen.

Julia? - yes, we get it that being a bride is your dream, now grow up just a little bit and sit at the adult table with the rest of us. The baby talk and the pouty lipped crying is a little much.

Jen - not too bad, but she sure does like to ignore her fiance. Then again, he does that irritating male thing where he talks to her while she's on the phone, which would have earned him a smack right upside his head if he were my fiance. The idea to have her dad walk halfway down the aisle, then stop and go back and get her - utterly idiotic, but she looked like she was going to cry when the planner and her fiance said no to her idea.

I'm still in awe of the nastiness of the mommy bride. Talking about taking limos everywhere and staying at a $1400 a night suite - is she supposed to be someone famous, because I'm not getting it.

ET include names I figured out.

Edited by prettyfeet, Jun 20, 2004 @ 7:56 PM.

RidingTeach

RidingTeach

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 20, 2004 @ 8:14 PM

Jeez, is Alex Richmond good or what? That thing was written months ago & she totally called it with the tricking of the brides (or so they claim) & When Brides Sue, etc. Color me totally impressed--wonder if she's got any lottery numbers?