The Flintstones: Through the Courtesy of Fred's Two Feet

• Please log in to reply

141 replies to this topic

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2011 @ 8:24 AM

From what I gathered, it was Daws Butler who temporarily replaced Mel Blanc during his recovery, not Hal.

That's what I've heard too, although Hal Smith did voice a variety of characters for the Flintstones. Two that come to mind are the Tasty Pastry baking contest guy (where Fred and Barney impersonate the wives to bake a cake), and the host of The Happy Hour tv show (that's the program whose sponsor was the "Fat-Off Reducing Method" where Fred needed to lose 25 pounds).

RCTina

RCTina

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2011 @ 12:03 PM

Yes, I did mean Hal Smith. I just went back and googled it and apparently Hal did the voice of Barney for the first few episodes and then Mel Blanc took over. And it was Daws Butler who replaced Mel after his car accident.

How long did Bea Benaderet who was kind of the female Mel Blanc do Betty Rubble?

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 3:42 AM

How long did Bea Benaderet who was kind of the female Mel Blanc do Betty Rubble?

I think she did it up until 1964 - she wanted to focus more on her role as "Kate" in "Petticoat Junction". She died in 1968.

Shalamar

Shalamar

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2012 @ 1:20 PM

I've been watching the show on DVD, starting with Season 1, and having a heck of a good time. (A "gay old time", if you will.) One thing I never "got" as a kid but now appreciate a lot as an adult is how broke the two families always were. There was enough money for food and rent, but anything extra seemed to require financing (remember the Buddy Buddy Jewellers, where the boys got their wives diamond rings?).

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 1:52 AM

The money thing was something I noticed as a kid watching the show. For me, the biggest money thing that stuck with me as a kid was when Wilma and Betty stole their husband's savings to get their hair done only to have strong wind undo their designer hairdoos before they got home.

Wilma and Betty stealing their husbands cash was pretty god-awful though I can assume that's part of the value system of the time, as far as justifying women stealing from their husbands as the only way they can get cash since working a full-time job was out of the question.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 4:30 AM

Wilma and Betty stealing their husbands cash was pretty god-awful though I can assume that's part of the value system of the time, as far as justifying women stealing from their husbands as the only way they can get cash since working a full-time job was out of the question.

Apparently it didn't stop with the girls as Fred and Barney had been known to take money out of their wives' secret stash for something like a bowling ball!

I don't think it wasn't that Wilma or Betty weren't willing to work outside the home - IIRC, Fred and Barney used to "forbid" it saying that they could support their wives adequately. Not an uncommon mindset for many men in an earlier time.

As far as how a woman would get a hold of cash, I don't think she necessarily had to steal it from her husband. In fact, many men gave up their pay to the wife to handle. Usually to pay ther bills, put something aside in the bank (or under the mattress) and maybe something left over for something special.

Shalamar

Shalamar

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 11:13 AM

Yeah, I remember my dad bringing home an honest-to-God pay envelope full of cash and handing it over to my mother (after extracting some of it for him to spend).

I can't believe that I didn't know it was Mel Blanc doing Barney's voice (and a few other voices, too). Now that I know it, I can't un-hear it.

Ailiana

Ailiana

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2012 @ 9:13 AM

One thing I never "got" as a kid but now appreciate a lot as an adult is how broke the two families always were. There was enough money for food and rent, but anything extra seemed to require financing (remember the Buddy Buddy Jewellers, where the boys got their wives diamond rings?).

Even as a kid I noticed that, but didn't think it was odd. That was my family's situation, so it seemed normal and real to me.

Shalamar

Shalamar

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 1:03 PM

Mine, too, which is probably why it didn't really register on me as a kid. You don't seem to see that much in sitcoms these days.

I had to smile at the episode I watched this morning - the boys are at the supermarket to buy 30 pounds of ribs each. The cost? $3.55. Fred flips his lid and yells "WHAT? It was $3.20 last week, you crook!" Ah, inflation.

Twilight Man

Twilight Man

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:45 PM

Seth is putting his reboot "on hold".

Good news???

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 5:09 PM

Good news???

Uncertain. It's possible there was enough negative buzz from fans of the original show that Seth chose to put off the project indefinitely. It's also possible that the report you linked to is accurate and he really has too much on his plate to devote the proper attention to it.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Meanwhile, I caught an episode I hadn't seen in ages - the one in which Fred inherited a mansion from "Uncle Giggles". Seeing Fred & Barney scared out of their wits (with their hair always rising straight up every time Giggles laughed) is still funny!

I also appreciated the moment Fred snaps and starts chasing Giggles and his servants after finding out it was all a joke. "Sic 'em Fred!!" indeed.

I also realized this episode is the first time I've ever heard the word "codicil" in an American cartoon. Probably the last too!

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 1:36 AM

Uncertain. It's possible there was enough negative buzz from fans of the original show that Seth chose to put off the project indefinitely. It's also possible that the report you linked to is accurate and he really has too much on his plate to devote the proper attention to it.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

The one bit of good news I've heard in relation to the McFarlane reboot is that Tara Strong is practically volunteering to work on the show.

vixenstud

vixenstud

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 1:44 PM

Cool, didn't know there was a forum for this wonderful show!

Here are my faves, in no particular order:

Rockensphiel - Make your hobby hubby, keep your hubby happy, when he's a little chubby, he's a happy pappy! As an unabashed foodie, I related with Fred in this eppy....I become a bear when you fuck with my eats lol!

Barney and Betty stay with Fred and Wilma due to plumbing problems at the Rubble house....'The girls will tink we're fightin' and 'After what Barney did' are things my sister and I say to each other to this day.

Rockopoly - Fred moves in with Betty and Barney after a fight with Wilma, Gazoo telling him that men have the superior minds.

Ann Margrock - At nearly 50 years old, the 'This Little Lamb' song can still reduce me to tears.

Hoagy Carmichael - Love the song Fred wrote....Could it be love that makes me feel the way I do? This fuzzy-wuzzyness. 'Sit down Fred!' is another thing me and the sis say to each other.

Dino falls in love with Sassie - classic when he gets a load of her as she's taking off her wig, etc. and the 'wah-waaaaah' music clip plays.

When Wilma gets a maid - Oh Lollobrigadaaaaaaaaa, your food I digadaaaaaaaa!

Finally, Fred as Rock Roll - There's a town I know where hipsters go called Bedrock, twist twist!!

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 9:41 AM

Hoagy Carmichael - Love the song Fred wrote....Could it be love that makes me feel the way I do? This fuzzy-wuzzyness.

"This ring-a-ding, this ring-a-ding-a-ling, that keeps on ringing in my head since the day you said that you couldn't live without meeeeee.... but now you say you can, and so I'll ask my mother to get me someone else IN-steaaaaaaaaaad."

Yep, I bust into that version of Stardust whenever I hear a snippet of the tune playing.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 1:53 PM

Home sick with the flu and am watching the episode, where Wilma gives birth. Who are the two doctors being spoofed in this episode? I feel like I should know, but I'm drawing a blank.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 2:08 PM

Home sick with the flu and am watching the episode, where Wilma gives birth. Who are the two doctors being spoofed in this episode? I feel like I should know, but I'm drawing a blank.

I haven't seen that episode in many years, Scorpiosrule, but if one was short and bald and the other tall, dark and handsome? Those would be the stars of Ben Casey. I know they used them in several storylines, but can't recall if this was one of them.

(edited to add quote; hate when the response begins a new page!)

Edited by stinkymcgee, Jan 25, 2013 @ 2:09 PM.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 2:34 PM

if one was short and bald and the other tall, dark and handsome? Those would be the stars of Ben Casey.

Well, one was dark and handsome, but the other one looked more like the Loony Tunes' "Leopold", with white hair pushed back, and yes, balding. But thanks!

I didn't see anyone talking about this, but what do y'all think about that BULLSHIT about Fred being replaced on Fruity and Cocoa Pebbles by that igit from the WWF? I hope it's a very short term, because it should be FRED on them boxes!!!! So much hate.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 2:44 PM

Well, one was dark and handsome, but the other one looked more like the Loony Tunes' "Leopold", with white hair pushed back, and yes, balding.

Yep, that's Doctor Zorba from Ben Casey you're describing there.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 2:57 PM

Yup, that's him! 'cept in the Flintstones, his hair wasn't that curly frizzy mess, lol!

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 3:05 PM

Ben Casey and Dr. Zorba are also in the one with the mad scientist who switches the personalities among the Flintstones (including Dino) and the Rubbles. You know, the laboratory with the hairdryer bonnets powered by lightning bolts? Whenever I see Sam Jaffe, I hear "Len! Len Frankenstone!" from that episode in my head.

FirstMateCooper

FirstMateCooper

Video Archivist

Posted May 29, 2013 @ 2:20 PM

WWE Producing Animated Flintstones Film Featuring a Supporting Cast of Wrestlers

notwisconsin

notwisconsin

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2014 @ 7:01 PM

The search engine here couldn't find this thread for some reason....anyway....I was in a starbucks and for some reason, they had "let the sun shine in" on their radio, so as it got stuck in my head, I went over to youtube. Did you know the lyrics were weird religious shit about the devil?

Bizarre.