The Flintstones: Through the Courtesy of Fred's Two Feet

• Please log in to reply

141 replies to this topic

Gharlane

Gharlane

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2007 @ 11:49 AM

Do you mean when Fred's placing the order for the ribs? And then she trots away to get them? With the theme song playing over any dialogue, I guess I can see where it might look as though he was yelling at her.

Yeah, that's the scene. I was about six at the time.

dbrugg

dbrugg

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2007 @ 12:26 PM

Boomerang is planning a Flinstones marathon starting July 4th. All of the episodes, in order, ending sometime on July 7th. It will start with the test show, the Flagstones.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2007 @ 12:25 PM

Yay! Thank you dbrugg; I would've missed out on that otherwise!

Benedictine

Benedictine

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 3, 2007 @ 5:35 PM

One thing I always wondered about from The Flintstones: I know that you needed your feet to get the car going, but did you continue to pedal or run to keep it continually going? Or did you get to put up your feet once the car got enough speed?

And how did the motorcyle cops do it?

Sigh. I am putting waaaayyy too much thought into this. Don't get me started on the elephant vacuum!

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2007 @ 1:08 PM

Brontosaurus ribs, I believe. A full rack

I think I was well into my 20's before I figured out what that was supposed to be. I understood it was food, because I'd been to drive-in restaurants (yes, I am that old) but I'd never had ribs of any kind and had no idea what the hell the waitress was placing on their car.

Dr Smith

Dr Smith

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 5, 2007 @ 6:17 PM

In the "The Snorkasaurus Story", the gang goes hunting and finds Dino, but in the episode Dino can talk. How come Dino can't speak in later episodes? Vexing!

JesseBaker

JesseBaker

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2007 @ 12:50 AM

In the "The Snorkasaurus Story", the gang goes hunting and finds Dino, but in the episode Dino can talk. How come Dino can't speak in later episodes?

Short answer: TPTB couldn't get Phil Silvers into a long-term contract to voice the character.

Fanwank answer: Fred, Barney, Wilma, and Betty all took a HUGE amount of mind altering drugs prior to them going out into the wilderness and meeting Dino, and that the drugs made them think that Dino could talk....

Edited by JesseBaker, Jul 6, 2007 @ 1:41 AM.

skippercollecto

skippercollecto

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 17, 2007 @ 10:48 AM

Okay, I know this question is something only a Flintstones fanatic would even think to ask:

I've read so much over the past 10 years or so about DVD sets of various series having to change the music that was used in the original airings of shows, because the prices of using that copyrighted music has gotten exorbitant. It's not just WKRP--I've also heard complaints about Beverly Hills 90210, Quantum Leap and Miami Vice. But, The Flintstones don't seem to have this problem.

I realize that some of the melodies used in The Flintstones are in the public domain, such as Happy Anniversary/William Tell Overture, Softsoap/Camptown Races, Don Pasquale and Figaro.

But there are others that have to be copyrighted. The most obvious is Stuart Hamblin's "Open Up Your Heart and Let the Sun Shine In." Then you've also got P.F. Sloan's "Wax Up Your Board" and "Surfin' Craze," Hoagy Carmichael's "Stardust" and the scene at the picnic with the ants marching to the "Colonel Bogey March" from "The Bridge on the River Kwai." Actually, that particular song was still new when that episode aired. "Kwai" was from the mid-1950s, and the picnic episode was recorded in 1960.

Those songs have remained unchanged in the episodes for four decades now. They're still heard in the reruns, and they're on the current DVD sets. Did Hanna-Barbera, later Taft Broadcasting, and now Warner Bros. pay the fees to the use these songs? Did HB get some kind of permanent permission to use the tunes? Are these songs not as expensive to which to buy the rights? Or did the various owners to The Flintstones just hope that the owners of the songs wouldn't notice?

Rabrab

Rabrab

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2007 @ 11:42 AM

Several things: there's nowhere near as much music that would require rights payments as in the other shows you mention. Those shows used music that would require rights negotiations in almost every episode, and sometimes (maybe often,) more than one such song in each episode. So part of it is simple math: 90210 may need to license out 35 or 40 songs for each one-season dvd. The Flintstones may need to license out 6 or ten, but much of the music won't require licensing, because it was written for the show.

The other big thing is demand: The Colonel Bogie March may be well known, but it doesn't command nearly the royalty that something like Satisfaction, or Pink Floyd's Animals does.

The other aspects that you mention also come into play. H-B may have had the foresight to negotiate licenses that included reproduction/redistribution rights in the first place so that they didn't need to relicense for release on video tape or DVD. It could be that whoever first released the recordings negotiated open-ended licenses, or licenses that didn't specify (and thereby limit) the technology that applied. There may be overlap in ownership of the rights, as well, if they're held by Warner or a Warner subsidiary, that would very possibly make the negotiations easier, since it's 'all in the family' to a degree.

But the most important parts of the equation are that there're a lot fewer songs and they're less expensive songs.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2007 @ 2:43 PM

Okay, I know this question is something only a Flintstones fanatic would even think to ask
<snip>
Then you've also got P.F. Sloan's "Wax Up Your Board" and "Surfin' Craze," Hoagy Carmichael's "Stardust" and the scene at the picnic with the ants marching to the "Colonel Bogey March" from "The Bridge on the River Kwai."

How much do I love that someone besides me knows of P.F. Sloan, much less that his music was used on the Flintstones?

skippercollecto

skippercollecto

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 18, 2007 @ 11:51 AM

To Stinky McGee,
I was born in 1961, and have only vague memories of watching The Flintstones when it originally aired in 1960-1966. But the syndicated reruns started in 1967, and I got hooked then (I was in first grade), although many of the jokes went over my head at the time.
As for P.F. Sloan, well, I'm a bit too young (again) to have listened to surf music in its heyday in the early 60s. I discovered Jan & Dean in 1978 (high school junior year) when Deadman's Curve aired. By the time I got out of college I knew quite a bit about Jan & Dean and the Fantastic Baggys. That's how I learned who P.F. Sloan was.
Thank you for the compliment.

skippercollecto

skippercollecto

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 2, 2007 @ 9:32 AM

On a related Jan & Dean note:
After I discovered Jan & Dean, I wondered why they had never been on an episode of The Flintstones. It seems like something they would have done. It has nothing to do with Jan's car accident. Jan totaled his car in April 1966, and by that time the sixth and last season was already into reruns.
There is one indirect Jan & Dean reference in the show, but not in the way you would think. The duo released "Little Old Lady from Pasadena" in 1964, but the comment in the series about a used car being driven by a "little old lady from Pasadenarock" was from an episode from 1962. Missy Berry (Jan's sister) told me that the local Dodge dealer commercials featuring Katherine Milner were airing locally on Los Angeles TV as early as 1962, and that's what inspired both the comment on The Flintstones and later, the J&D song.

skippercollecto

skippercollecto

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 14, 2007 @ 1:31 PM

What's your least liked episode of The Flintstones? Mine was always the one about where the alien made Fred clones. It scared me as a little girl and it still gives me the creeps.
On the other hand, I wondered if that alien and Gazoo knew each other!

fernsehen

fernsehen

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 16, 2007 @ 12:20 PM

Benedictine: I know that you needed your feet to get the car going, but did you continue to pedal or run to keep it continually going? Or did you get to put up your feet once the car got enough speed?

And how did the motorcyle cops do it?

I always thought it looked like once Fred got the car moving, his feet weren't involved anymore until he had to stop. At any rate, once he got moving, the sound effects dropped out. Once he and Barney were on a bus, and all the passengers walked to keep it going. Fred turned to Barney and said, "Sure beats walkin', huh, Barn?"

Of course, for someone with the toe strength of Fred (note his approach when bowling), none of this would be a big deal at all ;-)

BigPaul25

BigPaul25

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2007 @ 9:23 PM

Favorite Episode of all time, for me: Dr. Sinister:

"Jay Bondrock, you're wonderful." "I know"
"We were just going out for some brontosaurus burgers" "and some buns."
"I'm too important to be captured"

Just the scene where Fred and Barney absolutely destroy Dr. Sinister's henchmen with those judo chops always puts a smile on my face. Mike Myers paid tribute to that in the first Austin Powers movie (you can hear Austin say "ahh..judo chop" while taking out Dr. Evil's henchmen).

Of course, there are no "chops" in judo.

A close second, Fred's second car. I couldn't believe characters actually got offed in these cartoons:

"What if you miss boss?" "I never miss" BANG, thud! "Ya missed, boss." "So I missed, tsk, tsk"

Edited by BigPaul25, Oct 16, 2007 @ 9:49 PM.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 10:12 AM

I'm sure I've posted this earlier, but my favorite episodes are all pre-Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm. Can't stand the kids. Their appearance seemed to coincide with the cutesy-fying of the show in general, and I didn't like it even as a six-year-old. But enough of them, I'm posting to share favorites.

As to specific episodes, "The Hot Piano" and "The Sweepstakes Ticket" will always draw me in. I can say all of the dialog along with Fred and Barney, but I still love them. Fred's dueling Good Angel/Bad Angel sides of his conscience crack me up every time.

OH! And "The Engagement Ring" -- especially Fred's frantic attempts to save Betty's engagement ring from the cake batter -- is another one I can watch over and over.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2011 @ 7:37 PM

Reboot!

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2011 @ 11:25 PM

Could be interesting. Maybe this will mean we'll be getting first appearance Dino (who talks) full time?

(As for voices, while I'm sure Seth will get the current voice actors associated with the role, part of me would love to see Michael Chiklis as the new voice of Fred Flintstone as part of the reboot)

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2011 @ 11:39 PM

Ugh. Of all the things that DIDN'T need a reboot; and of all the things that DIDN'T need a reboot by Seth McWhatshisface.

Billie Jean

Billie Jean

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2011 @ 8:27 AM

Ugh. Can't they leave awesome things from the past in the past? I hate Family Guy, and I shudder to see what this hack is going to do tarnish the Flintstone legend. Can't they just reair the real Flintstones? That's what people want to see anyway.

Twilight Man

Twilight Man

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2011 @ 10:06 AM

First off: Yes, I too think that it's going to suck big time.

But, before everyone gets on their soapboxes (do they still make those?)
and starts preaching about Mr. Unfunny destroying "sacred ground", just remember

This "franchise" has already been put through the wringer once or twice.

The awful movies (Your Milage May Vary on one or the other).

The Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm Show

and what was with Fred and Barney being Bedrock cops
(with the number of times that they got arrested back in the original show,
I'm surprised that the police didn't laugh them right out of HQ
when they showed up to enlist)
teaming up with that thing called "The Shmoo"????

For those of you who just wish to acknowledge that only the original cartoon
(and for that matter, just the ones before the Grusomes showed up)
and only just the original cartoon exists, then, this too, shall come to pass.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the Yogi Bear thread.

Wow, talk about Concept Decay.
This guy had to go through riding on a flying ark,
racing around on space ships,
and being a teenager! at the Jellystone Mall
(and don't forget when the "Ren & Stimpy" guy took a crack at him)

all this before that awful movie last year.

Edited by Twilight Man, May 17, 2011 @ 2:01 PM.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2011 @ 10:46 AM

Ugh. Of all the things that DIDN'T need a reboot; and of all the things that DIDN'T need a reboot by Seth McWhatshisface.

WORD.

And this:

Can't they leave awesome things from the past in the past? I hate Family Guy, and I shudder to see what this hack is going to do tarnish the Flintstone legend. Can't they just reair the real Flintstones? That's what people want to see anyway.

Cannot be said enough.

Jilly Copper

Jilly Copper

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2011 @ 5:18 PM

So does this mean everything Pebbles says will be responded to with "Shut up, Pebbles"?

Shalamar

Shalamar

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 12:24 PM

I had no idea Mel Blanc voiced Barney! The things you learn on this site.

Every time my husband and I have burgers, I burst into that "here we come, on the run, with a burger on a bun" song.

Anyone remember Fred singing a song called "Rockin' Bird" (I think that was the title)? Betty, Wilma, and Barney kept saying how terrible he sounded, but he sounded pretty good to me.

Edited by Shalamar, May 18, 2011 @ 12:32 PM.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 12:50 PM

"listen to the rockin' bird (pow! wham!), listen to the rockin' bird (she's swingin')!"

Fred as Hy-Fye looked ridiculous, but sounded good to me too.

Twilight Man

Twilight Man

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 1:39 PM

Anyone remember Fred singing a song called "Rockin' Bird" (I think that was the title)?

"listen to the rockin' bird (pow! wham!), listen to the rockin' bird (she's swingin')!"

Who is that unknown troubadour?????

Every time my husband and I have burgers, I burst into that "here we come, on the run, with a burger on a bun" song.

Some wives would try to make a guy feel small.

Edited by Twilight Man, May 18, 2011 @ 1:44 PM.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 3:30 PM

I wonder how the makers of such wholesome products as the Flintstones vitamins and cereals think about the reboot. On the one hand, it revives the characters. On the other hand, Seth MacFarlane.

RCTina

RCTina

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 4:27 PM

I had no idea Mel Blanc voiced Barney! The things you learn on this site.

Mel was in a bad car accident and had to be replaced for one season early in the show's run I think it might have been the 2nd season Anyway, the person who replaced him was Hal King is probably best known as "Otis" from The Andy Griffith Show.

Shalamar

Shalamar

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 8:23 PM

I also had no idea that Mel Blanc was in a life-threatening car accident. Thank God he survived - what a loss that would've been!

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2011 @ 1:38 AM

the person who replaced him was Hal King is probably best known as "Otis" from The Andy Griffith Show.

I think you mean Hal Smith. He did a lot of voicework for HB.

From what I gathered, it was Daws Butler who temporarily replaced Mel Blanc during his recovery, not Hal.

I also had no idea that Mel Blanc was in a life-threatening car accident. Thank God he survived - what a loss that would've been!

Very true! In fact I remember Blanc talking about it in an interview. He said he was in a coma for a time and the doctors would try to talk to him, hoping he would respond. One doctor got the idea to address him as a cartoon character. The doctor asked how, "Bugs Bunny" was feeling today. Mel actually responded in Bugs' voice, "I'm doin' fine Doc!"