Shopping Channel Shows

• Please log in to reply

65184 replies to this topic

jmr

jmr

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 28, 2004 @ 7:55 PM

On QVC why does the Models Prefer lady always have her hair in curlers?? I don't get it....

It's because when she comes out, if you notice, she doesn't have a stitch of makeup on. I believe she's supposed to represent what a woman would look like when she's getting ready for work or to go out, etc. Some women put their hair up in curlers to let it "set" while they apply their makeup. At the end, she takes the curlers out and finishes up. She looks wonderful!

I remember Kathy Levine was cleaning out her basement once and was talking about all the stuff she had acquired. I got the impression it was all the free things that she had to test before actually pushing it. I guess they get lots of freebees to try and keep. So when a host says he/she has a certain item, we are supposed to believe they purchased it, but in reality they got it free.

Yes, I remember reading Kathy's book back in the '90s and her saying that they'd get freebies. The thing I remember about the jewelry, however, was that the hosts would generally get "costume" (read: fake) stuff. I remember she said that Joan Rivers may sell something really bang-zoomer from her line and TPTB would have it made over for Joan in real gem stones whereas she, Kathy, would get the less expensive do-up.

Ingresgumball

Ingresgumball

Posted Aug 29, 2004 @ 1:38 AM

....also on QVC, what is wrong with the BE lady's mouth?  Or is it her teeth?  Something about the way she talks--it's weird.

I know it is mean of me but I do always wonder why she thought it was okay to rep a beauty product when she has some kind of facial abnormality which has caused a speech impediment. She's not just "plain"; she is slightly deformed in some way and I can't help but find it distracting.[/packs cosmetic bag for Hell]. But then, I am so transfixed, I tend to watch it longer than I normally would.

Melissa Rivers walks into a bar- bartender says, "Why the long face?"

helloagain

helloagain

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2004 @ 6:39 AM

I agree with Ingresgumball, there is something wrong with Leslie Blodgett's mouth. Just like Guiliana Dipandi's (sp??, E News Live host) mouth...something weird, just can't quite put my finger on it.

Caught the 6:00am (eastern time) QVC show this morning. There seems to be a new host in training named Sheila. Looks like Lisa Robertson may have some competition in the beauty dept!!

sabrinafair

sabrinafair

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 29, 2004 @ 6:12 PM

"I do always wonder why she thought it was okay to rep a beauty product when she has some kind of facial abnormality"

Geez. That is pretty mean. Also, she owns the company and is not just a representative. I think there are probably more imperfect features out there than perfect ones and I think that it is admirable that she hasn't gotten plastic surgery as seems to be the norm these days. I say good for her-

Ingresgumball

Ingresgumball

Posted Aug 29, 2004 @ 11:41 PM

Sorry, just being Without Pity. I didn't say she shouldn't represent her own line - or that it wasn't refreshing, or brave; I said, "I wonder what made her think it was okay", meaning, I literally wonder, in the cosmetics world, where beauty is the THING, what kind of advisors or marketing did she consider etc. It is just strange that she has a speech impediment and looks like she has had [or needs] some cranio-facial surgery to correct a birth defect of the jaw, (as has my niece) that she would end up in the public eye, with a beauty product line of all things. I find myself thinking about her story and wanting to see her on Larry King, instead of QVC.

One of the things I adore about Kelly Repassy is that she is a huge, JLo-esque (like moi) plus-size former model who actually mentions often on-air that we should talk about figure challenges when finding a flattering fit, not call them figure problems. All the time, its like: Hey, I'm not a model - SO?? She even has some camp for girls to learn to love themselves even if society says they are less than "perfect".

It's just that with Leslie Blodgett, her looks are the elephant in the room. Speaking of my thighs.

Edited by Ingresgumball, Aug 29, 2004 @ 11:43 PM.

spendthrift

spendthrift

Posted Aug 29, 2004 @ 11:48 PM

If every one of us who has an abnormality stayed home, we'd all be home. What's normal? Our imperfections make us unique. I have never noticed her abnormality and have always considered her absolutely beautiful. I see a total package, not just units that are perfect and imperfect. Anyway, She sure beats SS and AA who don't know when to quit. Silly old bags. AA seems more like a barker outside a strip joint.
On the other hand, Marilyn Miglin, who also is no spring chicken, comes across to me as very ladylike, one with an invaluable background and with much knowledge to share in the area of beauty. Not just a pusher. Notice how she dresses age-appropriate, not silly. No pigtails or heavy bangs. And she's not on harping day and night, day and night, day and night.

Ananayel

Ananayel

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2004 @ 3:25 PM

I also think Leslie Blodgett is lovely. She has beautiful skin, and is always tastefully made-up. It was mostly from seeing how she looks that I decided to try the product. She is a much more effective spokeswoman than Victoria Principal, who is kidding no one with her claims that she hasn't had something done (her picture on the main beauty page at QVC is just scary.)

Adrienne was on again this weekend, and they showed pictures of her face on the covers of the books she wrote years ago. Either she knows the world's best tricks for making lips look fuller with lipliner and color, or they've been shooting her full of collagen for years. I will say this, though. Even within the parameters of accepting that they've all had work done, she still looks more natural than Suzanne Somers, and not nearly as scary as Joan Rivers.

tricksi

tricksi

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2004 @ 3:50 PM

I like Leslie too. She's like so many women. Not drop dead gorgeous and that's a refreshing change.
I like that blond woman who does Smashbox on QVC. Now she is drop dead gorgeous!

spendthrift

spendthrift

Posted Aug 30, 2004 @ 5:11 PM

You all make me laugh. Actually that's why I like Joan Rivers so much, her wit. Still as quick on the draw as ever. I know she's had lots of surgery, nips and tucks, but at least she's honest. Think of it this way: you don't wear wrinkled clothes, why wear a wrinkled face? I don't buy her jewelery nor her skin-care line. I do love her entertainment and that's free. I think Melissa is very attractive and don't find her long-shaped face detracting at all.
I agree about AA's mouth. Those lips must weigh a ton.

rabidfan

rabidfan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 30, 2004 @ 6:32 PM

Okay...just to beat a dead horse about the Leslie B.'s mouth--I think she's got a set of veneers on her teeth. Have you ever seen the Extreme Makeover folks talk after they've had veneers put on? It's weird--it seems to affect their speech--I think that might be the case with her. I don't find her unattractive or deformed--just distracted by her speech. All that aside--is the make up any good? I'm freckled faced and have a hard time finding foundation that matches my skin tone--I thought this might be the trick.

lindseywalker

lindseywalker

Posted Aug 30, 2004 @ 6:52 PM

It's almost holiday time, you know what that means? Mrs. Prindibles Candy Apples (only 4000 calories each!) and the Peterboro baskets. (The MOST expensive baskets on the planet!)
Woo hoo! Good times!

rabidfan

rabidfan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 30, 2004 @ 8:12 PM

Ah...two more QVC stalwarts that I've never tried. Are the apples worth it? They seem kind of expensive and just looking at them makes my fillings ache...

purplelady

purplelady

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 30, 2004 @ 8:18 PM

Is it me, or how the craft show are a bit..well a bore.

Yes, what is up with the quacker factory lady and her headband??? Some of the things she has are cute..if your a teacher or something were you worked with little kids. I would not wear it ( too short)! One ealry morning QF daughter was on. I think she knows that the items are a bit much. She had on a very plain QF sweater.

AA is a bit much as well,yet I can't turn it off. I have not seen Kahty on HSN for over a year now. The HSN website use to have pictures of her and new hubby. Now I can't find them on the site.

tricksi

tricksi

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2004 @ 8:40 AM

AA is a bit much as well,yet I can't turn it off. I have not seen Kahty on HSN for over a year now. The HSN website use to have pictures of her and new hubby. Now I can't find them on the site.

I don't think she's there anymore. From what I hear, she brought some really ugly clothes to HSN. And her part time hosting was just wierd. Does anyone think she left QVC because she was bored and maybe wanted to try her own line of stuff and they wouldn't let her, found herself at second rate HSN a few years later(and not successfully) and has realized that she should've stayed where she was at?
It's the same with Margaux St. Ledger. She was at QVC, then left and now is at HSN's sister network. I wonder if she left on her own or was it was "suggested" she leave. I mean if you want to be a tv shopping channel host, isn't (or wasn't) QVC the place to be?
I really need to get a life since I actually spend time thinking about this!

spendthrift

spendthrift

Posted Aug 31, 2004 @ 9:37 AM

Recently I put "Kathy Levine" in the HSN search box and came up with some crappy jewelry she was designing. As if they don't have enough of that. As if they shouldn't know better after her clothes designing fiasco. When she left QVC they gave her that big going-away celebration, big deal. I got the impression that Joan Rivers was helping promote her with some sort of talk show deal. Was never clear and guess it didn't pan out. Then she turned up on HSN with those ugly clothes she designed. When I saw them I SCREAMED! Scary stuff.
Oh, Margaux St Ledger, I had forgotten about her, too. QVC sure is going through hosts fast. Wonder what the deal is. I remember when that cute Suzanne Runyon was on QVC and I just loved her. Not the same on HSN. Late last night they had a new male host on, pushing -- I can't remember what. Not very dynamic, I guess. Think it was just one item.

rabidfan

rabidfan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 31, 2004 @ 6:36 PM

Recently I put "Kathy Levine" in the HSN search box and came up with some crappy jewelry she was designing. As if they don't have enough of that. As if they shouldn't know better after her clothes designing fiasco

I only saw her clothing line once--barf! I remember when she used to do the Joan River's jewelry with Joan on QVC--and occasionally she and Joan would "dress up". She always had something busy and fussy on--huge cowl necks or puffy sleeves--she always looked like she was trotting out all her old bridesmaides dresses. I'll have to check out HSN--much as I disliked her clothing and I hated her taste in jewlery--I still sorta liked watching her.

purplelady

purplelady

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 31, 2004 @ 8:30 PM

I always found it strange that Kathy L went over to HSN.I agree,she was trying to get her own line ( other then big fake looking rings). I think HSN found her a bit full of herself. The few times she was on HSN,she took over the whole show.I bet HSN hosts did not like that at all. I did enjoy when Kathy & Joan got together..way over the top. Did you notice Joan always kept a color scraf on her lap when she wore a skirt? I wonder if they are given $$ for what they wear??

QVC had a new young man on this morning...he spoke like Bob B...I use to like Bob B,but I cant put my finger on it,something has changed with him.Is it me? And a long time ago QVC carried a line of pots/pans ect...I think it was TEFAl or something...now its a new line. I wonder what happened?

Ingresgumball

Ingresgumball

Posted Sep 1, 2004 @ 2:37 AM

Okay, I figured out why Leslie bugs me: she's got Tori Spelling eyes.

Theredqueen

Theredqueen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 1, 2004 @ 4:22 AM

Ok so I was watching QVC early this moring/late last night and that damn woman who pushes "stronger, longer fingernails" was on. The umm..larger woman with the claw like fingernails that are absolutly, 100% freaking desgusting! Uh..Hate...Hate...HATE her! Jesus H. Macy, I get that your nails are strong but do you have to slam then down on a peice of wood like that and bend that back. I get the picture you freak! No one...NO ONE wants 7 inch long fingernails like that. I have nice strong healty nails and could grow them out just as long but do I?? Hell no! Bitch that is just nasty! HATEEEEE!

*Edited because I was in such a rage when I was typing I reversed my words.

Edited by Theredqueen, Sep 1, 2004 @ 4:26 AM.

Ananayel

Ananayel

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2004 @ 8:25 AM

The umm..larger woman with the claw like fingernails that are absolutly, 100% freaking desgusting! Uh..Hate...Hate...HATE her! Jesus H. Macy, I get that your nails are strong but do you have to slam then down on a peice of wood like that and bend that back. I get the picture you freak!

Hee! Yep, she's not the most effective spokesperson, is she? For some reason, I always expect to see her in a headband like Quacker Factory lady. But the ProStrong strengthening and moinsturizing products are awesome. My nails used to crack and peel something fierce, but not since I started using that. I only buy kits though, the single products are way too expensive.

helloagain

helloagain

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 1, 2004 @ 4:43 PM

From what I thought I understood, Kathy Levine left to develop her own talk show, or something like that. Maybe that didn't work out, so she started to hawk her clothes at HSN. Suzanne Runyan, the craft person at HSN...that's where I know her from-QVC. I kept thinking she looked familiar, but could think of where.
I watched some of the Italian Bath and Body show last night on HSN. I tell ya, if I didn't know Skip had a kid, I would swear that he was as gay as the day is long. Not that being married and having a kid proves anything. They could be his beard.
Whoever was asking about BE, I love it. I have been using it for a good 2-3 yrs now, and just like those callers, I would never go back to liquid foundation. I have a niece that is 17 and I just dying to get her to try BE, especially when I see the lines of "demarkation" from the liquid foundation she uses. She looks at me like I am crazy. I am being tempted by QVC to buy the supercloths. Anyone use them??

spendthrift

spendthrift

Posted Sep 2, 2004 @ 2:11 AM

Saw Bob B on QVC today. He's lost a significant amount of weight, just doesn't look good. No pep at all. Hope he's okay.
You know, I never gave Jill Bauer much thought, but since some of you have observed a snotty side to her, I can see it, too. Like her anyway, but not as much. I do like the relatively new host that comes on mostly at night, think her name is Sharon F-something. Think she's just beautiful in such a classy way and does a nice job. Hope she stays. Has anyone ever bought something really expensive like a big TV or computer? Wonder what you do if it doesn't work. would be so expensive and so much work to send back. Anyone???

Ingresgumball

Ingresgumball

Posted Sep 2, 2004 @ 3:05 AM

I think about that too. I HATE shipping back merchandise. But I live in an area where there's about 30 places to buy electronics within a ten minute drive. I can't imagine how many places are so far from a WalMart that they would get a computer from TV (not that they SHOULD shop at WalMart - but I'm not sure that HSN/QVC is that much better).

Did someone mention Margaux St. Ledger? Is she the former soap star? There's one woman whose ensembles make me drool every time she's on. I can't recall her ever wearing anything that could have been offered on QVC.

Edited by Ingresgumball, Sep 2, 2004 @ 3:05 AM.

rabidfan

rabidfan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 2, 2004 @ 5:07 PM

I am being tempted by QVC to buy the supercloths. Anyone use them??

Oh my gosh...they are the best!! I just bought them about 2 or 3 months ago and I love them. They make cleaning soo fast--I clean my windows, sliding glass doors, mirrors, kitchen surfaces (micro, dishwasher), glass top tables, even my wood furniture--they even remove the toothbrush spit marks my husband and kids leave on the bathroom mirrors--and clean without leaving streaks. I would highly recommend them. I was watching a little while ago, and someone who's had them for a while said they started to smell a little funnny--but I haven't had that problem yet. Can you tell I like them??

spendthrift

spendthrift

Posted Sep 2, 2004 @ 5:10 PM

Well, I did buy an Electrolux vacuum from QVC and love it, but if I would have had to ship it back it would have cost an arm and a leg. Also made a mistake and bought the NutriSystem four-week diet pack -- yuk -- which I did return. Ouch. It was so so expensive. Won't do that again.
I won't EVEN STEP into a Walmart. At least I think, expect, that QVC and HSN pay a living wage to their employees, offer benefits, insurance, vacation and sick leave. Hopefully they don't discount items at the expense of their employees' welfare. If I find out differently I will never purchase another item from them. And I don't mean just top management; I mean the entire staff from the lowest ranked on up. Grrrrr

rabidfan

rabidfan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 2, 2004 @ 11:18 PM

There's one woman whose ensembles make me drool every time she's on.

Well that eliminates the Quacker Factory Lady.

Penserosa

Penserosa

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 3, 2004 @ 12:29 AM

Okay...just to beat a dead horse about the Leslie B.'s mouth--I think she's got a set of veneers on her teeth. Have you ever seen the Extreme Makeover folks talk after they've had veneers put on? It's weird--it seems to affect their speech--I think that might be the case with her.

That could be it, although I've never really noticed a speech impediment (but I've only seen her on bits of a late night infomercial). Years ago I had a huge gap in my front teeth bonded and it took me months to learn how to speak again. Remember when you were a kid and you'd take a big wad of gum and shove it in your upper lip (just me, then? Okay.)? It felt like I had gum or patching plaster stuck in my teeth.

Does anyone remember Lynn Tucker?? That women made me crazy.

Was she the one with the crossed eyes? Drove me nuts, but I couldn't look away.

I rarely watch QVC anymore, but I used to have it on 24/7 back in the day. Favorite host of all time? Donna Harfenist. Knew her stuff, spoke clearly and with intelligence, enjoyed taking the piss and didn't have a "cutesy" bone in her body.

The Hollywood Collection mentioned upthread, is that the same thing that used to be on (I think) Value Vision years ago? Where they'd replicate Jewelry of the Stars and then show an old b&w Photoplay glossy of the star wearing the original piece? Loved that stuff, but never took the plunge. As I recall, it used to come boxed in a little metal film reel tin.

Have ordered a few food items over the years, but I only ever re-ordered one thing. Junior's Cheesecake! Spongecake crust instead of graham cracker? Best. Idea. Ever.

Edited by Penserosa, Sep 3, 2004 @ 12:32 AM.

spendthrift

spendthrift

Posted Sep 3, 2004 @ 12:45 AM

Yes, that's Lynn Tucker, but she wasn't cross-eyed. She was cock-eyed, slightly. Thought it was cute. She started about the same time as another host, forget her name, but allowed QVC to orchestrate her wedding. Really disgusting. HUGE show. Her husband had a child by a previous marriage and it was hushed up until later when she had a baby, turned out the baby had an older brother. Thought that was so mean to go absolutely crazy about this wedding and give the little boy no recognition. Felt bad for him. Think Lynn Tucker and this other gal left about the same time, too. Wonder why. Neither never seemed to be spontaneous.

Ananayel

Ananayel

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2004 @ 8:16 AM

The Hollywood Collection mentioned upthread, is that the same thing that used to be on (I think) Value Vision years ago? Where they'd replicate Jewelry of the Stars and then show an old b&w Photoplay glossy of the star wearing the original piece? Loved that stuff, but never took the plunge. As I recall, it used to come boxed in a little metal film reel tin.

Depending on how long ago, it may be the same. They used to have fairly regular shows on HSN, then weren't on any channel that I knew of (but I still got their catalogs and email updates,) and now have had one airing (that I know of) on QVC. They don't come in film cans these days, but in red velvet foldout boxes. One of these days I'm going to get an extra bit of fun money and try something. I just love those old classic jewelry styles.

tricksi

tricksi

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2004 @ 8:37 AM

Laurie Shore was on early this morning and eee gads! She was hyped up and gesturing with her hands a lot. She tried to show a pair of earrings on her ears but couldn't hold her head &/or shoulders still so it was kind of jerky. I like an upbeat person but she was just soooo enthusiastic and overeager about everything she showed. Maybe it's performance review time so she's trying to get those sales up.
Changing subject - anyone tried TriOral - the mouthwash thats supposed to eliminate morning & or bad breath?