Shopping Channel Shows

• Please log in to reply

65196 replies to this topic

jellyeggs

jellyeggs

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2004 @ 10:23 PM

Have you been happy with everything you`ve bought from HSN/QVC ?

sbsbea

sbsbea

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 25, 2004 @ 11:39 PM

Jane Rudolph Tracy left QVC?! Who's doing the silver shows now? I remember that was always her "gig".

Jane left in March. I am not sure what else she is doing, but she does have her own website. www.janetreacy.com Someone mentioned that there are message boards there, too...even a QVC board. I haven't visited, though.

As far as the silver shows...I assumed that when Jane left Jill would take over the silver. I haven't been watching much lately, but also haven't seen Jill on a lot.

Ananayel

Ananayel

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2004 @ 11:45 AM

Oh yes. I don't usually buy expensive items like jewelry or electronics. I use the SSC line, which is great, and have bought some household cleaners, a few clothes, sterling jewelry (and other jewelry from clearance,) and hair care/beauty products. Once I had to return a cosmetic kit because the colors were absolutely nothing like what appeared on either my home or work monitors, and once I returned a sonicare toothbrush kit because the battery would only run the brush for 45 seconds, not the three minutes it was supposed to, much less hold the charge so another person could use it. I really wanted to keep it, but since I had gotten it with a coupon, I couldn't afford right then to replace it. Oh, and I love the Italian Bath and Body products. My very first computer actually came from HSN.

From QVC I have gotten Bare Escentuals, and just a few other random items. They have better gourmet foods, which I usually send as gifts at Christmas. I got a very good deal on a printer/scanner/copier combo when I had to replace my printer. Let's think here, a bra, some shoes, and some gifts for others. I've never had a problem with either place regarding returns or credits, or even reshipping items lost in transit. I think they have better deals on computers, but since I'm not shopping for one right now, I can't say for sure.

I just realized how sad I was last night when I went to bed. I remember when HSN never used to have items at a fixed price. They would start at one price, and throughout the airing would lower it. "But wait! If you thought this was a great buy at $44.35, let's drop that down to $39.11! What do you think of that, Tootie!" "Toot! Toot!" And a couple of times a year, they would have Bargathons, where two hosts would pretend they were going to get in big trouble as they dropped the prices lower and lower. When you work second shift, are up late, and don't have cable (I could get it on a UHF station) it was very entertaining. Good times.

glstx

glstx

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2004 @ 12:21 PM

Did any of you guys watch the Jackie Kennedy jewlery show? It's kinda cool that they made nice reproductions of her jewlery, but it was all goldtone and silvertone and crystals. I wouldn't pay that much for metal that is going to turn green on my skin and crystals. Did enjoy seeing the pictures of her wearing the stuff though. And the John Lennon show - didn't sell quite as fast, did it?

I have the Mojave Magic makeup and it's really nice, but probably not as nice as some of the other lines, just way better than WalMart makeup. I want a Rowenta iron too.. that may be my next purchase. Although, I really need to get the glider/gazelle thing. My exercise bike is going as soon as I can have a garage sale.

ETA: 5 1/2 hours later and I just bought the pearl anklet. ARRGGHH!. I needed an iron or exercise equipment so much more than I needed those pearls but they were so pretty.. and under $30!

Edited by glstx, Jun 26, 2004 @ 6:04 PM.

jellyeggs

jellyeggs

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2004 @ 6:16 PM

I`m glad to hear you`ve been happy, i`m sure they`d love to have a testimonial from you someday.

AmbivalentGirl

AmbivalentGirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 27, 2004 @ 9:55 PM

Anybody watch QVC tonight with the Birkenstocks? I really want a pair - but didn't like most of their selection. Some of the sandals were just plain ugly, usually the ones that sold out right away too lol. The two that were hosting cracked me up with their "kicks."

jerry

jerry

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2004 @ 12:21 AM

I remember when HSN never used to have items at a fixed price. They would start at one price, and throughout the airing would lower it. "But wait! If you thought this was a great buy at $44.35, let's drop that down to $39.11! What do you think of that, Tootie!" - Ananayel

BWAH! Tootie! I'd forgotten about that sleezy format. They're so much more respectable now!

Years ago, I was watching a presentation of a particularly garish ladies ring. The host was on a roll, describing the ring, "Ladies, this ring is stunning... it's gorgeous... it's gaudy." I couldn't believe what I'd just heard and was LMAO as he stammered around, trying to recover from that mistake.

texaslynn

texaslynn

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 4, 2004 @ 12:06 PM

Thank you glstx for this thread!!! We keep QVC on all day as background noise - we used to have on The Weather Channel all day until they showed the Miss Cleo psychic commercials 28,000 times a day. Now, my husband is addicted to watching QVC too and can name all the hosts and their peculiarities.

I went on QVC.com to the Meet The Host section and Judy isn't even listed there. What happened to her status? When Kathy Levine left, it seemed like she and Mary Beth were the new "favorites" and now she's not even a featured host. I, too, read Kathy Levine's book and remember the "Jeff and Judy" scandal. Remember how he always thanked callers when they remembered to call him "Jeffrey" instead of Jeff? What was with that? He was by far the smarmiest of all the male hosts and I bet he was a total ass to Judy.

Also, agreement with glstx - we laugh and laugh when Nick Chavez is on giving those poor old women whiplash! And Lisa NEVER lets him touch her flat, super-sprayed hair! All the women parade by with the hugest hair I have ever seen (and I live in Texas where we have major hair) and Lisa's hair looks like it would scream if it went near a Nick Chavez product. Have you noticed that Lisa changes her hair color a lot? All the shades from blonde to dark brown in just a few months. I am thinking she has had cheek implants and a few other things done. I would like to see a pic of her when she was just starting out because I bet she looked very different. Despite my ragging on her, I like her and think she's one of the friendliest, least fake-sounding hosts. She can handle herself well with strange callers, unlike Bug-Eyes (I think her name is Lisa Mason) who freezes when a weird person calls.

One last thing -- did you notice about two months ago, all the hosts were saying the very cheesy "come on in" to an on-air caller instead of "thank you for calling" or "welcome to qvc". It sounded so dumb and you just know some dumbass manager made all the hosts go to a training session and tell them that was the way to welcome callers from now on. I notice the use of it dropped off a lot in the past month or so.

Okay - so it's obvious that I watch way too much QVC. Thank you again for this thread!!

texaslynn

texaslynn

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 4, 2004 @ 12:26 PM

Found an old pic of Lisa Robertson as Miss Tennessee - I am pathetic for spending so much time on this!

http://www.resacabea...mages/88-19.jpg

Edited by texaslynn, Jul 4, 2004 @ 12:26 PM.

glstx

glstx

Fanatic

Posted Jul 5, 2004 @ 4:17 PM

HAH Lynn, but thanks for the picture. It has to drive Nick Chavez crazy not to be able to get his hands in her stiff untouchable hair. Lisa is so patient with those people who call in, even the weird ones.

Has anyone seen Jewelry Television? That is a strange channel. Not at all like QVC or HSN.

Theredqueen

Theredqueen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 6, 2004 @ 4:01 AM

Has anyone seen Jewelry Television? That is a strange channel. Not at all like QVC or HSN.

Is that the one where they have two women on but they never show there faces? And they have rings, necklaces, bracelets on a rotating disk type thing? Then the women yell out "Everything on the table is under $1,000! Then like 3 mins. later they are like "Oh my god, we've gone down to $500! When in reality the "jewelry" is junk crap that you could get out of thoes kids quarter machines from Denny's.

starwannabe

starwannabe

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2004 @ 8:22 AM

Have you noticed that Lisa changes her hair color a lot? All the shades from blonde to dark brown in just a few months. I am thinking she has had cheek implants and a few other things done. I would like to see a pic of her when she was just starting out because I bet she looked very different. Despite my ragging on her, I like her and think she's one of the friendliest, least fake-sounding hosts. She can handle herself well with strange callers, unlike Bug-Eyes (I think her name is Lisa Mason) who freezes when a weird person calls.

texaslynn, I just turned on QVC last night and thought to myself that Lisa Robertson was looking pretty blonde there. I think she looks better with darker hair. I do agree that she seems like one of the most down-to-earth hosts and not like she's "on" all the time. Love your "Bug-Eyes" comment -- I can't stand Lisa Mason and I wish she didn't do most of the Diamonique shows. On the other hand, not watching those Diamonique shows certainly cuts down on the temptation to buy everything I see!

texaslynn

texaslynn

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2004 @ 12:18 PM

Did anyone see the Nick Chavez segment at Mall of America? Those poor women they found at the mall! They had them go on the stage and Nick "fixed" their hair! It really looked like they were in PAIN from Nick's commando hair tactics. Poor ladies, in their sensible clothes, no make-up, old tennis shoes. . . and Nick Chavez BIG HAIR!! You know they went straight to the bathroom to flatten it out.

gnabna77

gnabna77

Posted Jul 12, 2004 @ 10:27 AM

Does anyone know the romance status of Lisa Robertson, because she never talks about her personal life, nor does Patti Reilly. I guess they don't have boyfriends.

woodsprite

woodsprite

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 12, 2004 @ 3:17 PM

Has anybody ever observed the horror that is Adrienne and her Signature Club A cosmetic line on HSN? That lady seriously gives me nightmares, yet if I happen to catch one of her shows, this strange, evil force takes over me and I can't change the channel. Those poor old ladies she makes over with her jumbo-sized tubs of clown make-up...they always look ten times worse when Adrienne's done with them. Always. Somebody needs to tell her that ten layers of foundation and concealer, topped off with mauve eyeshadow and bright pink lipstick makes old ladies look even older, not younger. Somebody also needs to slap the hostesses who sit up there with Adrienne and try to convince everybody that all of the poor models look "amazing" with the pounds and pounds of gunk.

I can't believe Adrienne supposedly sold that crap at "high-end" department stores at one point.

BabyJade

BabyJade

Posted Jul 13, 2004 @ 1:53 AM

I"m a fan of Bare Escentuals and I'm pretty sure that Mojave Magic is another mineral makeup line, although I could be wrong. Haven't tried it.

Yes, I got the Wish Kit on QVC by Bare Escentuals even before the show aired on June 12th. It had a lot of great colors but thing that bothered me was the jars weren't even full (like 1/2 or 3/4 full), although I heard that was a BE issue, not a QVC issue.

gnabna77

gnabna77

Posted Jul 13, 2004 @ 11:31 AM

I don't watch HSN that often anymore because they sell crap! Suzanne Somers stuff is crap! And who wants to buy swords and knives? I like QVC alot better, and my q-card shows it. I have to stop tuning in when I'm home. But it's addictive. Anyway, I miss jane Treacy and Judy Krohl. I can't stand Krista Pitts and Lisa Mason (bugg eyes).

texplant

texplant

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 13, 2004 @ 11:25 PM

Unless you want to buy vitamins, make-up or whatever it is that Suzanne Somers is selling there is really no reason to watch HSN. The next time QVC has a Rowenta Iron on easy pay I'm going to buy one. Has anyone tried the Mrs. Prindables apples? I want to try them but the S&H is something like $9.00.

Edited by texplant, Jul 13, 2004 @ 11:26 PM.

gnabna77

gnabna77

Posted Jul 14, 2004 @ 11:04 AM

I've tried the Mrs. Prindables apples. They were good. I have a Rowenta iron and I love it!

dlgod

dlgod

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 14, 2004 @ 11:26 AM

HSN has the UGLIEST jewelry on television, but I DO like their Fantom vacuum cleaners, and Serious Skin Care has an awesome Vit. C mask. Other than that, I'm not impressed.........

Ananayel

Ananayel

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2004 @ 3:51 PM

Adrienne cracks me up. Those poor models. As you get older, less is more when it comes to makeup, hence my devotion to Bare Escentuals. Those ladies look like they've been dipped in technicolor grease. And she just applies it so sloppily with her fingers-she'll miss a spot blending the 19 concealer colors or applying the blush, and the model has to sit there actually looking like a clown while they yammer on about its "moisturizing" properties. Ugh.

glstx

glstx

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2004 @ 5:48 PM

I saw Nick Chavez at the mall. Those poor plain mall women looked like ass after he finished with them. My mom told me she couldn't believe I was "watching him flock all those people." I told her that he is such a loon that I just can't help but watch.

BabyJade

BabyJade

Posted Jul 15, 2004 @ 6:56 PM

Adrienne cracks me up. Those poor models. As you get older, less is more when it comes to makeup, hence my devotion to Bare Escentuals. Those ladies look like they've been dipped in technicolor grease. And she just applies it so sloppily with her fingers-she'll miss a spot blending the 19 concealer colors or applying the blush, and the model has to sit there actually looking like a clown while they yammer on about its "moisturizing" properties. Ugh.

Yeah and did you ever notice that no matter HOW much Bare Escentuals you use, it's not nasty like that?? I mean I [vain]put layer upon layer[/vain] of makeup on, but honestly?? It's not cakey like other lines!

Ananayel

Ananayel

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2004 @ 12:04 PM

Yeah and did you ever notice that no matter HOW much Bare Escentuals you use, it's not nasty like that?? I mean I [vain]put layer upon layer[/vain] of makeup on, but honestly?? It's not cakey like other lines!

I was very skeptical about it initially, but I eventually decided I could just return it if I didn't like it. I don't normally wear foundation, because I just cannot get the hang of the liquid ones, and the cream-to-powder ones don't seem like they should work at all. I blend and blend and blend, and I still can just look at my face and see the foundation. But I wanted to wear a non-greasy sunscreen on my face. I finally realized that the Bare Escentuals models were among the few who actually looked better in the after pictures, as opposed to just looking like they had a bunch of crap on their faces.

Nick Chavez and Samy (HSN) are just too much. I can't believe those women have any hair left at all after being worked over. Icing, frosting and flocking? And they keep adding the stuff layer after layer? I must be freakishly low-maintenance, because I just can't think of an occasion where having your hair stick straight up six inches above your head and extend from the sides in great poofy waves is really appropriate. But I must ask, has anyone tried Nick Chavez's color enhancing system?

BabyJade

BabyJade

Posted Jul 17, 2004 @ 2:23 AM

Well, to be honest with you, I do not use Bare Escentuals foundation anymore- boy does it make you glow. I have oily problems so that is why I switched to another mineral makeup line and I am LOVING it although the coverage doesn't feel as great as Bare Escentuals did...however the fact that it's not as glowy and stays on a lot longer than BE did is why I stick with it. I do have to vouch for most other BE products though, like the glimmers (shimmery eyeshadows), all over face colors, brushes, etc. I am in love with the line.

Ananayel

Ananayel

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2004 @ 2:00 PM

I have oily problems so that is why I switched to another mineral makeup line and I am LOVING it although the coverage doesn't feel as great as Bare Escentuals did...however the fact that it's not as glowy and stays on a lot longer than BE did is why I stick with it.

May I ask which line? I tried some of HSN's Pur Minerals eyeshadows before the line left for shopathometv, and I thought about trying their foundation, but I preferred the loose powder over the pressed. I don't think they were offering the loose powder foundation at that point or I would have tried it. My skin is combination, rather than straight-up oily, and the Serious Skin Care helps keep it from being too dreadful to deal with. The rest of the BE line is wonderful, and even the strongest colors go on so sheer (if you want them to) it's very easy to try colors you normally wouldn't think you could wear.

Shopathometv and Shop NBC are riots as well, if you get them. Nothing like watching Star Jones hawk peridot bracelets stretched tightly around her ginormous wrist. Haven't seen her on since she lost some of the weight though. For some reason I am just hypnotized by the Swarovski crystal chandelier shows. And the gemstone globes.

ETA:
Thanks BabyJade. I'll check it out at work where I have a much better monitor. I have the problem that I often can't find neutral-toned (not peach or pinkish) foundations that are light enough. The Fair (1) BE is the closest I've come. I can't tell on my home monitor how light her "light" shades are. The prices seem about the same, and she's gotten some glowing reviews on her site.

Edited by Ananayel, Jul 17, 2004 @ 11:07 PM.

BabyJade

BabyJade

Posted Jul 17, 2004 @ 10:55 PM

Ananayel, I actually found it on another message board via a friend of mine. It's by Kathy Duncan, she's independent but she's awesome and very helpful (finding the right tone for me is TOUGH, generally I'm a 2.3 BE wise but now I'm like a 5.2 with the summer). Here is her website and she has her email available too if you have any questions.

tortuga

tortuga

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2004 @ 9:22 PM

I'm a fan of both HSN and QVC. I have to agree that HSN is starting to look a little low-rent these days.

I love craft days. I'm obsessed with the tatuoage demonstrations. I just can't imagine that looking good in a house. Doctor's waiting room? Sure. A house? No way.

Quacker factory should be renamed Crack-er factory. 'Cause you'd have to be on crack to think that stuff looks good.

QVC's Kenny Jay Lane? Alcoholic. His water bottle is filled with vodka. At least that's according to a rumor I heard.

texplant

texplant

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 18, 2004 @ 11:11 PM

Am I the only one sick of Joan Rivers Classic Collection or whatever it's called? I'm just waiting for Nick Chavez to be slapped with a personal injury lawsuit. On HSN they have a host named Shannon who I have never seen do a jewelry show does anyone know why?

dlgod

dlgod

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 19, 2004 @ 4:12 PM

Joan Rivers jewelry is pretty cheap looking to me, and I don't know of anyone who has tried her skin care line. I still haven't figured Nick Chavez out........he's a nice looking man, BUT......

I don't like to see Shannon do ANY show on HSN. She's a little too over the top for me!