Shopping Channel Shows

• Please log in to reply

65189 replies to this topic

Granny Grumps

Granny Grumps

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 2:36 PM

Thanks Granny -- but I bet you and I both know -- new interesting things should be on the TV programming was well.

Why not. Suppose I want to see it worn or demonstrated? Does togather have video presentations.

Even if it does, I personally am not going to shop that way.

But that's OK there are plenty of places I can spend my money besides QVC

Exactly selhars! If I just want to look at the product I'll view it on their website (QVC.com) and not another site.

1) I don't think ANY product line needs to be one for 2 hours at a time, or one half the day...2) definitely no single product needs ONE HOUR of presentation time.

This has GOT to be bad programming.

No it doesn't. A 12-15 minute presentation on those type of products is all that is needed and was all that was needed up until about 3-4 years ago.

HauteAndCold

HauteAndCold

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 3:48 PM

Re: the Q's push to get people on Togather. I'm no marketing genius, but it seems contradictory to try to appeal to younger people through social media, while selling products they have absolutely no interest in like Dyson, outdated computers and electronics, frumpy clothes, endless hours of Susan Gravuh, etc etc. And the aging demographic that they must be trying to appeal to with their products has no interest in social media.

I guess ToGather is to Pinterest what the Jitterbug is to an iPhone.

Modernwhimsy

Modernwhimsy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 5:42 PM

I wonder when Wen will be back on?  I haven't seen it in a week and I'm running low on the 43 gallons I have as backups.  Eye roll.

Blondielocks

Blondielocks

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 9:59 PM

True NewOrleansLady,the last I saw him was at least 2 yrs ago. He was hawking a Macy's brand cookware set like it was the best thing ever made to use in the kitchen,it was on ShopHQ. He didn't last long. He was on 3-4 times in about 2 months,then poof,gone. Their male British host then would do those shows for awhile,then that product was removed.I almost didn't recognize him the first time I saw him. He was pretty heavy,actually obese. He really didn't look well to me.
I was talking about Steve Bryant in my last post in case anyone was confused.

NewOrleansLady

NewOrleansLady

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 10:14 PM

Yeah, Steve is a bit chubby. I saw him on ShopHQ when he was selling the "best cookware ever invented." He said his untimely demise from there was because TPTB said he was too old. Of course, to hear him tell it, sales of the Macy's pots and pans were off the charts. Hmmm....you would think if sales were that good TPTB wouldn't give a crap how old he is or what he looked like. After QVC he moved to Nashville to be the head huncho of talent for some shopping channel I never heard of. He was the best in the business, he says. He was so good the channel went out of business. Then he moved to just outside Sacramento, CA for a job at a radio station. Once again, the rating for his show were unbelievably huge. So huge that he was fired after 4 months. He still lives in Sac and he plays the ukelele (sp) at a mom and pop music shop in town. How the mighty have fallen!
Yeah, Steve is a bit chubby. I saw him on ShopHQ when he was selling the "best cookware ever invented." He said his untimely demise from there was because TPTB said he was too old. Of course, to hear him tell it, sales of the Macy's pots and pans were off the charts. Hmmm....you would think if sales were that good TPTB wouldn't give a crap how old he is or what he looked like. After QVC he moved to Nashville to be the head huncho of talent for some shopping channel I never heard of. He was the best in the business, he says. He was so good the channel went out of business. Then he moved to just outside Sacramento, CA for a job at a radio station. Once again, the rating for his show were unbelievably huge. So huge that he was fired after 4 months. He still lives in Sac and he plays the ukelele (sp) at a mom and pop music shop in town. How the mighty have fallen!

curiousguy22

curiousguy22

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 11:16 PM

The thing I remember most about Steve Bryant is a a comment he made on air only one time over 20 years, possibly longer, ago - when he, Levine, Bowersox, Judy, Jeff were on QVC or whatever it was called, then..  His wife and baby/very young son had been killed in an auto accident at some point in the past.   I about lost it when he said that.  He didn't dwell on it, and I never heard that story again.  

Haven't seen him lately.  Would have thought he'd retired by now.  I've always had the impression he had more than enough money, and that he worked for something to do, not the income.    If he's still single, no surprise he's still drifting.  I've never forgotten hearing that tale, and the effect it had on me at the time.  And, I am not a particularly sympathetic/empathetic person.   However, ever since, I can very easily give him a pass on just about anything.

Fwiw, can't see him and Levine, at all.  Never.  He certainly, in his best days, would not have have been her type.

Granny Grumps

Granny Grumps

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 12:04 AM

Why Steve was "chubby" when he appeared on ShopNBC was from chemo treatments that he had before he appeared on the channel and is a cancer survivor. While he does like to "toot" is own horn. QVC was a lot better when he was one of their hosts. When he was a host, the hosts where required to learn the products and find creative and entertaining ways of presenting the products. Unfortunately for him, TV executives think that someone his age isn't what viewers want too see. They would rather have younger unprepared "robots" as hosts, presenting the same items over and over again.

Steve and Kathy did date for awhile, and both them in their books wrote about it. Or course they both made the other one look like the South end of a horse going North. Which they both probably where.

Edited by Granny Grumps, Apr 15, 2014 @ 12:13 AM.

Blondielocks

Blondielocks

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 10:37 AM

Too funny Granny Grumps about Steve B and Kathy L. I actually could see them together. Kathy was very popular and prided herself on fashion,staying thin,but she was no beauty,even after some plastic surgery,IMO.

Blondielocks

Blondielocks

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 11:36 AM

Too bad about Steve wife and son. Very sad, I remember him more than once though getting a little nasty is the only word I can think of with the caller,on air. That probably did him no favor.I also remember one time he had said it would be nice to be able to go out to dinner without people coming up and wanting to talk. Oh the pain of being such a big celebrity. I bet he doesn't have those problems now.

Fishyswa

Fishyswa

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 11:57 AM

Remembering Steve.... I couldn't stand watching him sing (which he seemed to want to do any chance he could get).  His face would contort in ways that were just plain gross to look at.  Yikes.

I always had the impression that Kathy was using Steve, eg. walking her dog when she would be out of town, etc. and he was starved for attention, so it seemed like he would do anything she asked.  But, whatever,  he did manage to get married and his wife is surprisingly not bad looking. 

Luv2Soap

Luv2Soap

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 11:59 AM

I knew Steve was let go. I didn't care fm for him, so was glad he left. Too arrogant for me.

I still say Kathy was let go, too, because she was getting old. There might have been a talk show in the works but anyone in the talk show world knows that it takes years and lots of luck to get a talk slow off the ground. She would have stayed at the Q until she got the green light. And the Q would have let her stay. Good for them, too. No, the talk show was ruse so she could save face.

Keep wondering when MBR or the Dans are given their walking papers, given their ages.

Blondielocks

Blondielocks

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 12:06 PM

Agree Luv2soap,but a lot of the hosts are in their 50's including Leah Williams who was 53 a couple of months ago.I believe PJD is the oldest at about 60. I think a lot of the long-time hosts have very. Good contracts these days.

Luv2Soap

Luv2Soap

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 12:14 PM

Blondie - I agree.

I would bet MBR and Wheels are untouchable because they've been there so long. Probably have stock options? Own part of the company? Don't know. But those two are so incompetent they should have been let go years ago.

NewOrleansLady

NewOrleansLady

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 12:15 PM

Granny Grumps....oh my goodness I forgot about Steve's cancer battle. I believe he had throat cancer about 4 or 5 years ago. I remember him posting about flying to MD Anderson in Houston for treatments. He is doing well now. I'm so sorry I called him chubby. I meant no ill will against him. I am a 13 year breast cancer survivor myself so I am well aware of horrible side effects. I wish him all the best.

Blondielocks

Blondielocks

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 12:50 PM

I read several years back that he had open heart surgery. He must be past retirement age by now,but likes to stay busy.Agree Luv2soap bothMBR and Wheels can be boring and hard to watch,but the one I really can't stand to watch or listen to is the other Dan. Blech. The only good thing he ever had going was his dog Murphy that was on the Q. He is a slimy goof.

Modernwhimsy

Modernwhimsy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 1:27 PM

I don't know who Victoria Wieck is but it's odd to see an Asian person so much plastic surgery.  She IS Asian right??   She must be very popular but I've never heard of her.  Bill Green has a nice mani going on.

QVC is selling a pack and go scooter...reminds me of that episode of Seinfeld with George and the scooter.  Not sure why the speed dial has a turtle and a rabbit instead of S/F or SLOW/FAST.  It does pack up nicely but I'm not sure that someone who needs a scooter can lift that thing up and hop it in their SUV truck as easily as shown.  It screams of torn rotator cuff/slipped disc to me.

Blondielocks

Blondielocks

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 5:12 PM

Victoria Wieck,yes she is Asian,but her face looks crooked from some bad surgery in my opinion. Bought a bracelet from her line 7 or 8 yrs ago. So cheap, I sent back immediately.

NewOrleansLady

NewOrleansLady

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 5:30 PM

Many years ago Victoria Weick was very pretty. Why on earth do these women feel the need to go under the knife?!?! I'd rather grow old gracefully. There is an older model on the Q (can't remember her name but it's not Helen) that has the most beautiful silver hair. She models hair products and some makeup. She is STUNNING!!! You can tell she hasn't had any work done. Sure she has wrinkles and a bit of sagging but to me she is gorgeous. Lisa needs to be more like her. Let the dirty fake tan go....ditch the catapiller fake eyelashes....cut the stringy hair into a flattering short style. Forget the Botox and whatever else she has going on. Be proud to be a mature woman!!!

Modernwhimsy

Modernwhimsy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 11:18 PM

Wahahahahahahahaha!

Who is Marlawynn?
How did she get a TSV on HSN?
Why did she pick skinny pants to sell?
Why are hers bagging in the crotch?

I feel punked. I thought this was the diane gilman channel.

sib5

sib5

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 11:55 PM

I have watched her shows in the past and liked a lot of her items, although I've never ordered any. Agree that the fit on those pants looks off. And what's with the blouson top??? It only looks good on the thin models. For those of us with any belly, blouson screams" I'm trying to hide my fat!" ( I will never wear a blouson top.)

Still, I enjoy her shows. And it sure beats watching NutriSystem on QVC today!

Luv2Soap

Luv2Soap

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 11:18 AM

Thanks for reminding me what the TSV on the is today. I forgot. Now I remember seeing Dan W and the NutriSystem lady at midnight eastern. Ugh.

How many of these NutriSystem TSVs will we have this year? It's only April and this is the second one.

Edited by Luv2Soap, Apr 16, 2014 @ 11:19 AM.

Blondielocks

Blondielocks

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 1:51 PM

They said during the presentation that this was literally,lol the last Nutrisystem TSV for the year. Yeah,right.

SassySenior

SassySenior

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 1:59 PM

If only !!!!!

dbklmt

dbklmt

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 2:03 PM

Lisa Robertson and her stalkers have made the news in the UK with lots of interesting photos.

http://homeshoppingista.wordpress.com/

DoughGirl

DoughGirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Yesterday, 11:22 AM

GMA had a piece on this morning about Lisa R and her stalkers too.

porpoise10

porpoise10

Channel Surfer

Posted Yesterday, 02:40 PM

I'm sorry now that I snarked at LR a few years ago someplace else. That is truly a hell to have to live with. It never goes away.

rustybones

rustybones

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 04:00 PM

porpoise 10, no need to feel sorry for snarking, it's what we all do.   I certainly feel sorry for LR or anyone who is stalked, but it won't make me stop criticizing her or cause me to like her more.  And in reality, the blame for much of the snarking we all do should be laid at the feet of TPTB at QVC, not the hosts themselves.

EauDeFussy

EauDeFussy

Video Archivist

Posted Yesterday, 04:49 PM

Porpoise10, you are right about the stalking being hell. I was "mildly" stalked decades ago by a man i went out with once. I say mildly because he had just enough sanity to go away when i threatened him with a restraining order. It's very frightening to realize you're dealing with someone not rooted in reality, for whom logic doesn't exist. And for Lisa to have at least three of these nutballs is unbelievable. Wait until they crank up their desire to be "if I can't have you, no one can". And i wonder how many more will come out of the woodwork because of this publicity?

porpoise10

porpoise10

Channel Surfer

Posted Yesterday, 04:51 PM

You're right, Rustybones. It's just I snarked someplace she might not expect it, and maybe only a couple years after her mom passed away. I guess if I feel a snark attack coming on, I should confine it to places they would know it happens, like here, so they can avoid it. I had no idea this site existed before February!

I agree about TPTB as most of the problem. They don't set the standards for these hosts and vendors that they should, and did a better job of when the shopping channels were younger.

Oops, something hiccuped on here and doubled the post. Sorry.

EauDeFussy, only just saw your post. I'm glad yours backed off. They should really strengthen the laws on it.

Edited by porpoise10, Yesterday, 05:07 PM.

telemachus2

telemachus2

Channel Surfer

Posted Today, 12:16 AM

Just watched part of a Logo presentation for the first time & finally understand why you guys refer to Lori G's products as rags!  What an amazingly overpriced & unflattering group of weird, cheap-looking clothes!  Antoinette was the host & looked awful in her Logo togs, but Lori appeared even worse, IMO.  She seemed swaybacked (apologies if she truly IS afflicted thusly - I'd never ridicule a handicap) with her rear-end protruding like a shelf under her long, droopy, pointed-side tunic top(s).  What normally shaped woman wants several layers of fluttering fabric & large, sloppy pockets located low on her hips & thighs?  Apparently there is an idiot born every minute, as at least one item sold out completely. IMO these bag lady clothes looked OK (not great, however) on the standard 6 ft skeletal models, but near the end, they brought out a Black "plus size" model (Iris??) who appeared to me to be about a size 14 - she looked fat & stumpy in these overly long, polyester layers, as would the average woman, not blessed with her height.  I am 5'6", size 14, large hips & smaller waist & bust, & have long dressed quite attractively (so I'm often told) in a longer top over trim-fitting pants - you'll never find me in the oft-recommended top that ends at the crotch, but I must draw the line at the droopy drawers effect epitomized by Logorags!  And WHEN did it become de rigueur to imitate deformity by posing pigeon-toed?  Numerous times I watched Lori G. seem to remind herself to reposition one foot so it turned in, a la Paris Hilton of 10 yrs ago.  And does Lori usually have I+ inch of dark roots showing? Ugh.  But so "in", I guess, with the 20 yr olds (Lori looks to be close to 60, however)