Shopping Channel Shows

• Please log in to reply

65206 replies to this topic

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2005 @ 4:30 PM

Stupidest Statement of the Day: Rick Domeier presenting the Indonesian watch said, "this might be the most beautiful watch we currently have on-air!"

Most Awkward Host Award goes to Sheila. Last night Jane Treacy presented the TSV (which she said she hasn't done since '98 with a bit of a snicker) and Sheila did a walk-on for K.J.Lane jewelry. Sheila was talking about the number of years KJL jewelry has been on. She turned to Jane and asked, "have you been around a long time?" So embarrassing!

Kenneth J. Lane's jewelry - If I hadn't been told it was KJL high-end costume jewelry I'd have thought this was average fashion jewelry that's style was in the 60's. I'm glad qvc has dropped the description "Living Legend" from KJL's shows. I suspect in his previous contract Kenneth demanded the living legend reference. It was always Way Obnoxious.

I've tuned-in several times to HSN to try and see Judy Crowell. She did the high-end pearl shows recently. She always had a sophisticated look while on qvc. I hope that over time she won't try to fit in more with hsn and tamper with her style. Also, I'd never buy a pearl drop pendant for $899 from HSN. They've lied to me about the metals on a $45 ring; they'd certainly lie about the quality of something more costly.

Jay King Mine Finds - clicked on and off during his shows. Most of his stones are way way way overpriced and most of his offerings have an unrefined look. I did purchase a sponge coral necklace during one of his hours awhile ago. The necklace was fabulous and only $29. It didn't look like his usual stuff because it was finished out beautifully. When it arrived I found out that it wasn't one of his pieces but an in-stock item that was offered in his show. Odd thing...I purchased some time ago Amber Drop Earrings from an Amber show with that Russian guy but the package had a Jay King tag in the box.

Eaten Posts - I've had that happen twice. I now highlight and copy my posts before clicking "Add Reply" just to be safe. Also, when the site has suddenly gone down while in mid-post I'll paste and email my post to myself to save it for next time. Hope this will help others.

Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap

Posted May 31, 2005 @ 5:08 PM

Someone asked... Doink posted a racial remark.

I thought it was strange to see Jane do the TSV last night. I wish she hadn't kept saying how hungry she was. (She hadn't eaten. She's starving. She could eat the whole pan. Save some for her.) Sounded like she wanted us to appreciate her sacrifice of not having dinner before the show. Suzanne Somers usually has this "pity me for I do so much for you" attitude. Jane, it's not flattering on you.

baylark

baylark

Video Archivist

Posted May 31, 2005 @ 5:17 PM

SunshineGal, I hear you loud and clear on HSN lying on their jewelry metals. I once purchased a bracelet for my best friend for her birthday. The bracelet was represented as 925 silver. After I gave it to my friend she called me about 2 weeks later and told me how the "silver" was rubbing off! I called HSN and spoke to an idiot representative who tried to tell me that 925 silver does rub off to whatever metal is underneath! She even proceeded to argue with me. They misrepresented the item on air and also have uninformed ( is that a word?) reps. working their phones. They are so second class in all regards, I still wonder why I watch them. I guess it has become a morbid fascination with their schlepp hosts and inferior products( for the most part). I agree with you on never purchasing high end anything from them. Who the hell knows what you may end up with. And since I am on a roll. What is the deal withToni Brattin? She looks like a lonely hooker, schlepping her wares on HSN. Those wig gigs are awful. I was at a broadway play in NYC a few weeks ago and saw a woman wearing one. She thought she was so very glamorous with her faux pony tail! It stuck out like a sore thumb, it was so TACKY. I am shocked that Toni doesn't sell matching scrunchies to go along with those hair pieces..TACKY,TACKY,TACKY!!

Jeanslady

Jeanslady

Channel Surfer

Posted May 31, 2005 @ 5:20 PM

Carmela Richards, Karen Connelly, Tim Temple, Laura Duffek and Kendy Kloepfer all left SNBC back in July to start this new venture. Dan Dennis (HSN) and Paul Kelly (QVC) are also in the mix.

Koshka87 - Thanks for the feedback on WSS. I remember Dan Dennis and Paul Kelly. I previously posted my rant about Dan, so I won't repeat it since it was all negative.

The other names aren't familiar to me since I have never watched enough of ShopNBC to know any of the personalities. Since I'm a big fan of TV shopping, I'm sure I'll be checking out WSS as soon as it's on air (don't know when exactly, just sometime during the summer).

Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap

Posted May 31, 2005 @ 5:37 PM

Baylark, me too. I purchased a sterling silver bracelet from HSN in the wee hours of the morning. Maybe lack of sleep caused me to be impulsive. When the bracelet arrived it felt much too light to be sterling silver so I sent it back. I suspected it was only silver tone or silver plated. Is there any agency that periodically tests the truthfulness of the jewelry sold on the shopping channels?

laurajane30

laurajane30

Posted May 31, 2005 @ 6:22 PM

Been weatching herself the elf and HOW MANY times does she need to repeat HOW long she's been with QVC. UH... we all know your overcompensating for making the bad decision to leave.

FUNNY MOMENT...KJL's toady who steps in for him when he needs to lie down, refered to KJL as "she". LOL A definite slip in the wrong company.

Jennwith2ns

Jennwith2ns

Channel Surfer

Posted May 31, 2005 @ 6:37 PM

JRT, the troll as I call her, just had the nerve to correct the pronunciation of KLJ's stand-in, Barry! She is the worst! Barry mispronounced the word "turquoise" in JRT's opinion. She actually corrected him like he was a child! She asked, "Barry, now how do you saw that word?" and he said it over again in that effected faux French-accent sort of way and I wanted to gag! I can't even watch when she is on!!! She sickens me! How rude to correct someone live on the air like that! She is so full of herself!

laurajane30

laurajane30

Posted May 31, 2005 @ 7:21 PM

YUP, heard the deliberate pronounciation out "turkowaz". What a dumbass.

goodoldgirl

goodoldgirl

Channel Surfer

Posted May 31, 2005 @ 7:30 PM

I'm interested to know if anyone has tried the Micro Pearl Abrasion (A21614). I would like to find something cheaper than the Philosophy scrub I'm using, $65.00 is just to expensive. I do love it though.

wooziesooz

wooziesooz

Posted May 31, 2005 @ 7:50 PM

Jenn/Laurajane, I think JRT is on speed, insecure little twitt. As someone said she would be ABSOLUTELY nothing without Q. Seems like every time I flip over to QVC she is on lately. Whats up with that? I refuse to watch "the little one".

When she came back I emailed several of the Hosts at Q (that I have the feeling just watching them) that they didn't care for her, that I thought she was the worst, and there must be a lot of politics at Q to let her back. On another post I read that her husband was the one that got pissed at the company and she left in his support. Typical of her personality, I really doubt that she can think for herself.

Next time I'll let you know what I really think...tee hee

glstx

glstx

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2005 @ 9:59 PM

I did a little looking around about Cure by the Shore. It looks like it usually happened in May, but there is no info about a 2005 event, only past events. I always watched but only bought something one year. (A pair of BlueBlockers, Love!)

Maybe FancysFriend or you others with inside info know what happened with this year's event?

SheBuys

SheBuys

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2005 @ 12:27 AM

SSG said:

Sheila was talking about the number of years KJL jewelry has been on. She turned to Jane and asked, "have you been around a long time?" So embarrassing!

You can't post this and not tell me how the Troll responded. This is almost enough to make me like Sheila. . . .

As to Doink, I believe the boom was lowered and out they went.

Thank you all for the reminders on why I don't buy from HSN. Watching to see when Crowell shows up and watching Deasy last night I've been tempted and need to remember why I hate their stuff.

GOGTried the micropearl abrasion stuff. Don't like it. Most of the abrasion is being done by the nylon net applicator they send you.

Last night HSN had their Gold Heist kick off. It was sad to watch Deasy announce after an entire hour that they had sold all of 400 of their $114 TS. The Q tonight with 90 min into a gold anniversary show and $39 (?) TSV has sold over 9000. Is there that great a difference in the number of homes they can reach? Is it really so badly scewed against HSN? Makes me wonder how they make any money at all with that type of comparison.

AmazingGrace

AmazingGrace

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2005 @ 7:14 AM

I must be the only one who likes JRT. Granted she can be a tad perky, but I like watching her. Especially on the Irish shows. :)

Rick D. is the only one I really don't like. He's too snobby for my tastes.

My all time favorite was Kathy Levine.

I wish Colleen Lopez would jump ship to the Q. :)

Edited by AmazingGrace, Jun 1, 2005 @ 7:17 AM.

Plumbago Blue

Plumbago Blue

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2005 @ 7:53 AM

Caught our friend early this am: Wow, her look has really changed since I last saw her: love the softened hair. But please stop there. We need to keep at least one host(ess) unique and individually charming! (I almost saw a little of Patti R.'s eyes in hers...please, no more changes!)

Sorry I missed KJL: I would have thrown a shoe at JRT had I heard that rudeness. I am so sorry that she convinced the Q to take her back. Did they wheel the old guy onto the set? Good gawd, I remember that horrid cough. His boy-toy was a much needed replacement. He was just unwatchable w/all that phlegm. I really don't like his wares; looks like all the "junque" in my 88 yr old Mother's jewelry box: big flower pins and other 60's mod stuff from the 5 and dime.

marshmallowpeep

marshmallowpeep

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2005 @ 9:41 AM

Did anyone else watch some of Lisa R's 14K jewelry show last night? There were quite a few animated callers and BIG fans of Lisa. She has some fan club. She was getting all sorts of complements. One caller I found funny when she told Lisa R. that she remembers Lisa back in the 90s on late nights when she used to drop everything on the floor. Lisa laughed graciously. I guess these hosts all have their Sheila moments. One caller loves her spirit and aura. ??? This caller even said back in the day, Kathy Levine was her one and only favorite host and thought no one could replace her when she left QVC, but Lisa R. did. Lisa R. told the caller that she just met Kathy Levine for lunch the other day and they still keep in touch and she will tell Kathy that the caller asked for her. (corney) . . . Thought that was interesting though. Never saw Lisa and Kathy as as buddies. Guess they do have a lot in common. On a shallow note, Lisa R. was really over done again last night (when isn't she). Slathered in self-tanner and pasted with eye makeup and globs of lip gloss.

Edited by marshmallowpeep, Jun 1, 2005 @ 9:46 AM.

mopsy56

mopsy56

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 1, 2005 @ 9:54 AM

Amazing Grace, you're not alone. I also am a fan of JRT. I agree..You and I seem to be the only ones that claim her! Also enjoy Colleen from Hsn. Totally see her as a prime host on the Q.

I remember the first time I saw Lisa R. It was a Sunday night, (since Lisa recently had her 10 yr. anniv. it must have been 10 yrs. ago). Kathy L. was doing a diamonique show. Lisa was in training. Kathy said "hi" to her and gave Lisa a few moments to talk about what she was going to show in the next hour. Lisa was VERY meek and Kathy laughed at her. There seemed to be genuine warmness between them.

Sellmeanything

Sellmeanything

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 1, 2005 @ 10:11 AM

Hello to all! I absolutely love this website -- found it a short while ago and have absolutely loved reading everyone's posts. Have always wondered who owned the shopping channels; who were the top host (sales wise) and whatever happened to some of the old hosts. You are certainly very knowledgeable people. I do have a question that might have already been discussed here (I haven't yet read all 400 + pages) -- I had heard that QVC had sued Kathy Levine because when she left she took with her "Customer Lists" (a big no-no in the Corporate world). Has anyone heard if the suit went forward and what was the outcome? Also is she still with HSN -- I haven't seen her lately.

marshmallowpeep

marshmallowpeep

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2005 @ 10:19 AM

Not sure about the law suit, but her website Kathy Levine Talentwas posted on here recently and a TWoPr found her wedding dress being hocked on ebay, by Kathy herself. Not sure if it's still on ebay, but you might want to do a search over there. There are some interesting photos of her wedding, hubby and infamous wedding cake. TWoPrs, remember all that fruit on top of the cake, squashing it like a pancake! I think she's also selling her couch too. If I'm not mistaken. Unless that was a joke. She's somethin' else ain't she . . .

Sellmeanything

Sellmeanything

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 1, 2005 @ 10:37 AM

Marshmallowpeep -- Thanks for the info on her site -- I'll check it out. She sure is something -- selling her own wedding gown OMG!

Koshka87

Koshka87

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 1, 2005 @ 1:43 PM

My recollection was that she was selling the gown to afford a new sofa.

But I'm not totally sure.

Pretty tacky if you ask me, but of course, she *didn't* ask me.

CelestialTiara

CelestialTiara

Posted Jun 1, 2005 @ 3:44 PM

Mopsy56, you really jiggled my memory banks about the night Lisa R got to preview some items during a Kathy Levine show about 10 years ago. Wow, time does fly! I remember seeing that same show and they did seem kind of warm and fuzzy with one another. But who knows how good of actors some of these hosts are. I know several of them mention acting in their profiles on both HSN's and Q's websites.

I too really like Colleen from HSN. I always like Suzanne Runyan and Judy Crowell when they were on the Q so I find myself watching more of HSN now to catch those two. The rep for Slinky Brand today though got on my freaking nerves. She was always looking off to the side as if she didn't know where the camera was. Ugh....

Thanks to everyone who posted suggestions on products for adult acne.

diamondgirl

diamondgirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 1, 2005 @ 7:42 PM

Hi Sellmeanything
Regarding Kathy Levine...Word is the lawsuit was dropped after Kathy agreed to discontinued sending emails to former QVC customers (to notify them regarding her new "projects"). Kathy claimed that the emails she used were accumulated from her own website......several QVC customers who received the messages said they never "signed up" to receive Kathy Emails. At any rate...she stopped sending them - QVC dropped their suit.

The Kathy Wedding Gown...not one single bid on ebay (zero, zippo)

What is Kathy doing now? She works as a free lance talent coach (training new vendors and hosts at HSN) and as her web site indicates - is availale for other "talent" work.

Re: Kathy and Lisa....very close personal friends - often see each other socially

diamondgirl

diamondgirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 1, 2005 @ 8:03 PM

Jewelry quality QVC vs HSN

98% of the jewelry sold at these two networks is from the exact same vendors....much of the product they sell is the identical or very similar with only slight design changes. QVC product is perceived as higher quality - this is due to a long standing good reputation and dedication to customer service. In the beginning HSN was "closeout"network - with a carnival atmosphere - their reputation was tarnished because of this. HSN has changed alot over the years...better product, customer service, etc...but those who have been burned in the past have a bad taste in their mouth about HSN - something they keep trying to overcome (better quality vendors, hosts, products, customer service, etc) They still have a long way to go

Bottom line - for the customer - competition is good in TV retail

Sharpy

Sharpy

Posted Jun 1, 2005 @ 8:19 PM

Oh goody! A solid gold JPII medallion, for the rapper in all of us. And to wear with it, the 11th commandment, lest we stray from our values.

whimsey

whimsey

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2005 @ 8:36 PM

Of interest on the Kathy Levine Talent website:

Kathy is listed as Non-Union
She does not include hosting the Joan Rivers shows

TiggersDoBounce

TiggersDoBounce

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 1, 2005 @ 9:31 PM

Hello Ladies :)

I have been busy getting caught up on all the new posts. Interesting reads with too many comments too make.

Thanks for the interesting points of view and info on all the old hosts, the white labeling, etc.

Welcome to all the new members. Keep the posts coming!.

MissFancy

MissFancy

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2005 @ 9:52 PM

She does not include hosting the Joan Rivers shows

Read on, whimsey--she does.

DIAMONDGIRL: It doesn't surprise me that QVC and HSN get their jewelry from many of the same factories. But why does it look like crap on HSN and so much better on Q? Am I biased? Lighting? Camerawork? Or are there different levels of quality in each factory and HSN opts for the lower?

My recent pet peeves, if anyone cares (and please add your own):

Lisa Mason-Whenever an item is about to go off Easy Pay, she says "This is the last show/day/minute/whatever that we will offer Easy Pay on this. After this show is over, that option goes away. I am sorry; we would like to extend it, but we CANNOT." Why not, Lisa? Is there some FCC regulation limiting the duration of Easy Pay? Also, she must stop saying "singular" instead of "single." Not the same.

They ALL must stop saying "It is literally like (touching a baby's bottom, having good lighting wherever you go, etc)" I know I've mentioned this before, but it seems even more prevalent now and IT MUST STOP!!!

Mary Beth Roe amazes me with how long she can talk without stopping or taking a breath. I know they all talk for hours about the products, but there's something about the way she does it that is different somehow. She's a regular chatterbox. I wonder if she talks her husband's ear off when she gets home. Whew.

I find Diane Young to be as cold as Christina Carlino. Her neck cream sounds great whenever she's on, and I'm always tempted, but it gets AWFUL ratings on MUA--the people there say it's just an overpriced moisturizer that does nothing to firm the skin.

If Sheila is emulating Lindsay Lohan, does that mean she will become anorexic, as well?

Your thoughts?

Edited by MissFancy, Jun 1, 2005 @ 9:57 PM.

Sharpy

Sharpy

Posted Jun 1, 2005 @ 10:01 PM

And will she be rammed by an amateur paparazzo?

wooziesooz

wooziesooz

Posted Jun 1, 2005 @ 11:11 PM

Miz Fancy.... Love, Love, Love your peeves to quote LR! And yes Liza Mazon must must MUST stop with the threats. The FCC will kick their butts if they extend easy pay.
I think Diane Young can't smile 'cause she has that new stuff that fills in the laugh lines.
OK... it's confession time, I bought the frying pan that you can flip
veggies with, did anyone else?

Chukkal

Chukkal

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 1, 2005 @ 11:49 PM

I'm curious about Tony Little and his "muscle" machines. What's the scoop on him?