Shopping Channel Shows

• Please log in to reply

65183 replies to this topic

sib5

sib5

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:11 AM

New Clarks representative AnaLisa (sp?) looks familiar and I think she is a former QVC model. I remember her mostly from beauty product shows. She is very pretty and has a good presentation style.

Purselover

Purselover

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 3:07 PM

I was driving by the Paula Deen Smithfield Ham segment and happened to hear the very end. She had the balls to say that she "was recently diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes". I guess her idea of 3 years is recent. And to have both David and Rick fawn all over her and say they trust her astounds me.

Three years with high sugars is three years of additional internal destruction. I'm not fond of Paula at all but as someone who was diagnosed four years ago, it is a disease that must be taken extremely seriously the moment you're diagnosed. To not come right out to her public and tell them, then change her (and her son's) marketability course immediately was a huge mistake. I understand her financial concerns but I think she could have transitioned from high fat, high sugar and crap to a healthy fare and not lost respect. Everyone already knew (come on Paula, the public isn't dense) that the foods she touted was poison. Now I'm not so sure she'll be able to salvage her career. She should at least salvage her health.

CarpeDiem54

CarpeDiem54

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 4:17 PM

The Elf has on some absolutely HIDEOUS geomettic print dress (Donna Reed style, of course) with a 'carol' shrug (the goof can't pronounce 'coral' to save her life). Makes the top half of her look tiny and the bottom half huuuuge. She was shilling some button front top. And kept saying 'botton'. Are they all starting to speak Klingon now? I lasted a whole two minutes. Which is two minutes longer than I lasted all of last week because I dropped the remote and had to fish it out from under the couch.

Edited by CarpeDiem54, Apr 2, 2012 @ 5:23 PM.

Susarb1

Susarb1

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

Am I the only one who noticed the HORRIBLY unflattering way the bright blue colored shorts from Denim and Co fit the model? There was such a camel toe, and the camera zoomed in on that area twice in the 20 seconds I watched. Doesn't anyone check this stuff?

Edited by Susarb1, Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:05 PM.

EmbiggenedSoul

EmbiggenedSoul

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

Hi all, I'm new to this thread, as a recent devotee/watcher/snarker on shopping channels...

I blame Iman + alcohol for my addiction - I had gotten home from a long week of traveling and was looking to relax on a Friday night, and everything else seemed too mentally challenging other than HSN. All of a sudden I see Iman in all her supermodel glory telling me about her Global Chic rollerbag which is so lightweight (!!) and available in my favorite color purple (!!!) and she says "Darling, you can pick it up with one finger" and "You will look so fabulous with this luggage" and "Look at how glamorous I am" and I fell for it hook, line, and sinker, LOL. But to be fair, I got the bag and for $99 bucks, it is a great bag and I have gotten SO many compliments on it, and I really needed a lightweight in-between sized bag. I travel every week for consulting and it works for me, SO, therefore, it became a ritual to watch HSN and QVC when I get home from traveling on Friday nights.

I have some other observations about some of these shows/hosts:

- Suzie (?) - the blonde short-haired chick who wears no/pale lipstick and usually wears some sort of flat sandals and capris - does she think that's a good look for her?

- Lisa Robertson - She's pretty in a fake way, but I think I kind of like her

- Diane Gilman - I'm torn between thinking her clothes are unfashionable old-lady wear but when the models wear them cutely styled I want to order more

- Mally - Holy crap, I can't believe this gal developed a cosmetic line, let alone is allowed to speak and sell it on national TV - I envision a total nerd/ugly person behind the scenes who hired her thinking it would be more marketable with her - it's totally unfair, but I doubt her ability to even spell the word mascara, LOL

- Chaz Dean and Wen - I had been resisting the infomercials for months and finally gave in when they were on QVC...love it so far!!!

So, yeah, every Friday night with a little win by my side, I declare myself an HSN/QVC-holic!!!

Edited by EmbiggenedSoul, Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:08 PM.

Merchant Queen

Merchant Queen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 6:17 AM

Hooray, an Artisan-Crafted Sterling from Indonesia TSV on Thursday, along with several shows of Artisan-Crafted Sterling throughout the day. Even if we don't buy, it's Something Different to look at.

rustybones

rustybones

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 12:54 PM

I had to snicker last night on PMS when The Duchess was going on about some Denim & Co. pants. They are so wonderful, and last so long. I doubt she's had her ass inside any Denim & Co. pants since she came to QVC. Just once, I wish TPTB would insist she wears what she's selling.

HauteAndCold

HauteAndCold

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 2:38 PM

I had to snicker last night on PMS when The Duchess was going on about some Denim & Co. pants. They are so wonderful, and last so long. I doubt she's had her ass inside any Denim & Co. pants since she came to QVC. Just once, I wish TPTB would insist she wears what she's selling.

Yeah, but they'd have to sew a huge gusset in the bottom half of each pantleg, and add four inches of extra fabric to the bottom hem.

Darbar

Darbar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 10:21 PM

OMG, did anyone hear Rick just snort up a wad of snot during his show? Instead of excusing himself to blow his nose, he just horked a luggie. How gross!!!!

Jeeze, I swear Rick is messing his shorts over the Dyson. I just bought it, at the same Q price, at Bed, Bath and Beyond, and I didn't have to pay their stupid shipping and handling of nearly $15. And good old Rick lied saying you can't find this Dyson because it's sold out-----BULL. B,B and B has a lot of them, and so does Costco. I just wonder how Q can basically fib about the retail price---doesn't their rules say that their retail value is what you'd pay at retail outlets? Well, the retail outlets here aren't selling the vacuum for $414.96. They're selling it for $299.

Edited by Darbar, Apr 3, 2012 @ 11:11 PM.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 2:00 PM

My DSL went out Saturday night and it's been a LONG 4 days. Y'all have been busy.

I'm finding all this dishonesty to be wearing and now I'm more suspicious than ever of the Q. I used to be a Q cheerleader.... so to have fallen this far into the abyss of negativity has even surprised me.

I know what you mean, Purselover. Years ago QVC had better products so the hosts didn't have to lie to sell something and the price was lower so I didn't feel like I was being cheated. Now days the hosts say anything to sell something. Even though the customer reviews for the Stuffin Gourmet Parmesan Chicken say that it's processed ground chicken patties, the hosts keep misleading customers by showing an intact whole chicken breast. They should either tell the whole truth about the product or make Stuffin Gourmet change the product to reflect the presentation. We know they won't b/c they want to cut costs by using fillers but want people to pay the "gourmet" price. Pink slime has been in the news, is there a slime version for chicken? Ewww.

I don't know who these VT Luxe guys are or what this brand is, but they and it are bad.

I agree. Those guys act more like they are doing a fashion segment on Entertainment Tonight rather than QVC. They are more hype than substance. Everything is "wear this on the red carpet". I'm not a Hollywood actress. No red carpet where I work, none at home, there might be one at the bake sale next month at the building entrance. I'm certain no one will care whether I'm wearing VT Luxe sunglasses or not. Who do those VT Luxe guys think they are selling to?

I too saw Paul'r Deen selling that ham and saying it is "exclusively" at QVC. I've seen the Smithfield Hams at the grocery store. Her information was wrong unless they were playing with the wording, like this ham doesn't have salt solution added but the ones sold locally do. Also, Paul'r seems to speak slower now and sometimes forgets what she is going to say. David steps in and finishes her thoughts for her more often than not. She seems more confused and unfocused now.

I understand her financial concerns but I think she could have transitioned from high fat, high sugar and crap to a healthy fare and not lost respect.

ITA. Just tell people the truth and go on from there. She again stated that she "eats everything in moderation" when someone asked about her diabetes.

Hooray, an Artisan-Crafted Sterling from Indonesia TSV on Thursday,

I'm looking forward to Thursday, too! It sort of feels like "Old Q" programming: Artisan-Crafted Silver, Cottage Farms, Quacker, Taxco. Then, Doris Robert's makes her Italian Stoneware debut in the afternoon. I'm curious how Doris will do so I'll try to watch. At least the programming isn't another Dyson, computer, handbag or electronic item.

- Diane Gilman - I'm torn between thinking her clothes are unfashionable old-lady wear but when the models wear them cutely styled I want to order more - by EmbiggenedSoul

Welcome! Diane Gilman is a piece of work. While selling jeans and tops she expounds on her days as a rock star groupie. You'll hear more than you want to. I remember her selling a jacket that had a key chain loop sewn on the front. She said she thought of that design years ago after she had been partying hard with some rock star. She had a hang over and couldn't find her car keys when she woke up. If only her jacket had a key chain attached to it back then she wouldn't have lost her keys. Her mind works differently from most of us.

Edited by SunShine Gal, Apr 4, 2012 @ 2:13 PM.

Purselover

Purselover

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 5:15 PM

Regarding Paula Butter Dean-

Just tell people the truth and go on from there. She again stated that she "eats everything in moderation" when someone asked about her diabetes.

I think it would have been the decent and honest thing to do. Eating everything in moderation is not the answer and a dangerous message to give people out there struggling with this horrific disease because high cholesteral and blood pressure also go with it and an extreme change in eating behaviors as well as losing quite a bit of weight while exercising and tossing the salt and fats is necessary along with no sugars. Looking at her I'd say she's only giving diabetes a cursory nod at best. Not good enough I'm sad to say.....

Plumbago Blue

Plumbago Blue

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 5:24 PM

Happened to tune into That's Cool with Jane. She was presenting waterproof mattress pads. Complete with the endless demo of the blue urine. Cool? Seriously?

oldbabe

oldbabe

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 6:50 PM

Recently I surfed by the Ho during a Barr & Barr handbag presentation (sound of tires screeching to a halt). What is this? Beautiful leather handbags in classic, structured style, that aren't the size of luggage! The complete opposite of those hideous Shariff and Falchi creations they're usually hawking! The handbag I'd been searching for was right there, in the color I wanted, on sale, with 4 easy payments (sound of angelic choir). So, for the first time in many months, I bought something from a shopping channel. Lucky shopper or sucker? You be the judge.

Caught a few minutes at the beginning of Anything Goes last night, with Shawny Sue running around the set wearing a bizarre yellow and red print dress with a yellow shawl-sweater and red tights. The only accessory missing to complete her clown outfit was a red rubber ball nose.

SassySenior

SassySenior

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 7:02 PM

Again, to get the most bang for their buck with that ridiculous show with Rick and Shawn, the Q really ought to have a psychedelic / neon painted VW bug, the quintessential clown car on the set. How many more shows before somebody gets a Junior's cheescake, or pie in the face? Total bedlam! If Shawn didn't look like a total freak!

Luv2Soap

Luv2Soap

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 10:36 AM

Didn't catch Shawn and Rick but did catch Rick presenting the TSV. Don't know who was more rediculous. Rick or the woman presenting with him. Does the Q honestly think seeing a presenter in that get up will see more product. Really?

Maybe the should bring over their "artists" from China to sell the products they make.

Auntie Chuck

Auntie Chuck

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 12:54 PM

I'm hoping someone can answer a question for me about the wait lists on HSN. I've heard a couple of jewelry presentations where they went on and on (and on!) about how once a certain piece sold out they would never be able to repeat it. They were very clear that it wasn't just that it couldn't be repeated at the same price, but that they would never, ever be able to get it back in stock due to not having anymore of the raw materials available to manufacture it. But then, on at least two occasions, they show the sold out graphic, with wait list available. How can it be available on wait list if they can't ever reproduce the piece? Or are wait list orders filled with returned items? I'm so confused! I've searched the HSN website and can't find a definition for wait list, so I'm hoping someone can help.

Darbar

Darbar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 2:06 PM

Most of the time, people will order something and return it, so hence you will most likely get the item IF someone returns it and you're on the waitlist.

shopper gal

shopper gal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 5:08 PM

I thought 'officially' QVC didn't resale returns to Q customers. I've heard scuttlebutt that customers have on occasion gotten resales or used merch. The returns usually get resold by the pallet to ebay sellers.

I'd always heard that the waitlist of sold out stuff is more due to the amount of folks who buy on check hold (or with regular checks) and never end up finishing the deal. I think it's common for folks to reserve items on check hold and then wait for reviews to come in.

Speaking of potential clunkers - what's up with today's TSV? It was 'gone' by 12pm EST and when I clicked to even see what it was all sizes and colors are still available.

Get ready for ducklips Dalton - she's got the TSV tomorrow. I still don't know what qualifies her as an beauty expert.

Edited by shopper gal, Apr 5, 2012 @ 5:08 PM.

dbell1

dbell1

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 6:30 PM

I'd hope the Q doesn't resell. Or they at least check returns more carefully. I once ordered makeup. The eye gel was open, used, and had hair in it! Called the Q to complain and the rep went "So, do you want to return it?" Never ordered that product again.

Tonight's WTF item on the Q was cotton candy ornamental grass. Very odd. I can picture that with some matching pink flamingos to annoy my neighbors.

shopper gal

shopper gal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 6:56 PM

Goodness Gracious - I appreciate Jill wants to wear more color,but why does that color have to come from the grandma section in the store? She's wearing the poncho again, but the pants look like straight up Alfred Dunner. Ditto for the orthopedic wedge sandals. They did a close up of the models legs when selling faux tanner and Jill's feet were in the shot. Talk about toe hangover - very unattractive.

Merchant Queen

Merchant Queen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 7:07 PM

shopper gal, I agree that the Q's TSV Suarti ring is a clunker. Actually, that is putting it politely on your part. It's just plain Ugly, and so fat at the sides that it would keep your fingers apart painfully ~~~ good for wearing only to keep your fingers apart when your nail polish is drying. The beads look like they are strung on cord and the cord is then run thru the ring. I cannot imagine anyone Wanting this ring. SO cheap-looking, what a waste of good sterling. Definitely a What Were They Thinking item. NO sizes on waitlist in either color as of 700pm Central Time. This one needs to go directly to the QVC Outlet Stores and Never be on the air again. Notice that is is not being touted front-and-center on their Home Page. They Know it's a stinker and they are stuck with it.

buyitnow

buyitnow

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 9:26 PM

Suarti just keeps getting weirder. She looks like Ann Miller in her later years. Was she wearing a gold headdress or the Chrysler Building?

And we all get older, embrace it. The rolls of back flesh escaping from her corseted top didn't conjure up a dainty temple dancer. If she undid here stays her torso might actually balance that ginormous head. As it is I fear she'll topple over without tethers to hold that cranium in place.

HamOnWry

HamOnWry

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 10:59 PM

Happened to tune into That's Cool with Jane. She was presenting waterproof mattress pads. Complete with the endless demo of the blue urine. Cool? Seriously?

"That's Drool" with Jane?

CarpeDiem54

CarpeDiem54

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 2:15 AM

I turned on The Duchess and Duck Lips Show by mistake. Only the graphic of the TSV was showing and both of them were yakking at the same time. I couldn't understand a word they were yelling. They got louder and louder. And then they showed the Two Plastic Faced Darlings who proceeded to start talking in Spanish (for whatever reason), but the only words they knew were margarita and taco. click.

Honestly, what it WRONG with these people?

Plumbago Blue

Plumbago Blue

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 8:25 AM

Flipped on the Q this morning, just to be confronted with someone's spider-veined, shorts-clad thighs. Finally, the camera moved from the crotch shot to the head and I realized it was Rachel. Closeups, in shorts, on a stool, should be avoided, IMO. Then checked out the gibberish on the Ho. As usual, the CC was non-sensical gobbledee-gook. (I'm taking a clue from them and just throwing letters on the screen...works for them.) If you went solely by the CC, you'd have no clue what they were selling. But, I had to tear my eyes from the CC to the actual screen. Some chefette selling Curtis Stone (Honestly? He's "all that" enough to warrant labeled cookware? The same shit every other celeb-u-chef hawks?), featuring a cheap looking round plastic tube, a "presenting ring", in which you pile layers of food and then lift it off for a perfect tower. Or NOT. Major, major fail...the chick pulls up the ring and and the whole thing (Looked awful, like tuna salad topped with guac and huge chunks of tomatoes and I forget what else)toppled over into a pile of ingredients. THAT plate was whisked to the back of the set pronto. She tried to show how easy it was to slice rounds of mozzarella and then tomatoes and it was obviously a struggle without a serrated edge of any type and just ridiculous. All for 29 bucks and change. I've found an empty tuna or soup can will adequately meet my food stacking needs. As often as that need arises...I think the last time was in 7th grade home ec, circa 1969.

CarpeDiem54

CarpeDiem54

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 1:05 PM

Actually, I'd like to see Anthony Bourdain on the Q. He's so blunt, brutal,politically incorrect and honest. I'd love to see him with Red Bull Rickster. I can hear it now. Rick, with spittle flying, screaming about some pan. And then AB saying, "Chill out, dude. You don't know what you're talking about. STFU!"

weenerdog

weenerdog

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 2:59 PM

Word has it that Carson Kressley is moving his line from QVC to ShopNBC beginning April 29. Lordy! Should make for some interesting shows ...

Purselover

Purselover

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 5:03 PM

Ok, I bit the bullet with one of Logo's items. Now understand I'm not into like.totally.on-trend fashion, especially for women of a certain age and I've always preferred more tailored, but Lori had this soft tiered cardigan for sale... and even though I was repulsed by Lori dressing like a 16 year old, I thought well.... I'd probably love this cardigan, especially for colder summer evenings. Fugeddaboutit....

http://www.qvc.com/L...sc=A223738-CSWB

It got here today and I'm shocked at how thin and miserable the material is. I could easily poke my fingernail through the fabric if I tried (which I didn't... ). The style and color (coral) is cute, but it was as thin as tissue and horribly made with one button's thread caught in a continuous loop. Made in China (natch), Lori Goldstein's "label" is nothing but ink stamped on the material like those T-Shirts you can buy in a package of 3 at WalMart. And on top of that it was $60 with shipping & handling. I have to send it back, even though I'm going to be dinged for return shipping. Is there anything on the Q that is worth buying?

Anyone else creeped out by the selling of items based on the artifacts that were found on the Titanic? Maybe it's just me but I don't think I'd want to look down on a ring or bracelet knowing that it was based on the design of an item that someone was wearing when they died. It was the first thing I thought of.... maybe it's the incredible tragedy of the Titanic that gets me because it's certainly not a unique idea, but no... I can't do it.

shopper gal

shopper gal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 5:26 PM

Actually, I'd like to see Anthony Bourdain on the Q. He's so blunt, brutal,politically incorrect and honest.

The day that happens he can officially shut his pie hole about how much the *other* cooks like Pauler and Rachel Ray are sell outs. I find him pompous. He has good points, but his delivery is egotistical and just ack.

Purselover - your link didn't work, but I remember that cardigan. I thought it was kinda cute too, bummer it's crummy fabric.

Is there anything on the Q that is worth buying?

I thought about this and the only thing I can come up with are some of the beauty sets - not the individual items b/c the Q sneakily takes 2 bucks off retail, however charges 7 bucks to ship to you. I shake my head at folks that don't get that. I know I know, I live in BFE and don't have a lot of good B&M stores, but there are so many other places to go on the 'net for bargains. I will give it to the Q...they partner with brands like Tarte and Philosophy and every once and a while a true value. The Tarte Emphasize Eyes kit I got over the holidays from the Q was a stellar value, even with S&H.

SassySenior

SassySenior

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 6:45 PM

Purselover, your link worked for me. Cute sweater. Too bad you have to send it back. I think I've seen garments made from that thin material -- I believe they call it "tissue weight". Who wants something so flimsy and delicate, and apparently, poorly made.