Shopping Channel Shows

• Please log in to reply

65197 replies to this topic

niftyfifty

niftyfifty

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 9:23 AM

The UniBoober, I thought Leah looked good last night too. When she sticks with the classic lines and avoids the trendy styles, she looks wonderful. She had a ton of make-up on that made her facial skin tones look different than usual, but she still looked good. MBR figured that trick out years ago and I have rarely seen her in anything but classic styles. Isaac was his normal obnoxious self. The Q has invested heavily in the brand and I wonder how long it will take to burn out his sales. Most of what he makes looks like the quality of the line he sold at Target but with prices that are two to three times the Target price points.

witchissie

witchissie

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 10:15 AM

JadedOne - Yes, now that you mention it I do remember reading something about Jacque taking medicine that was making her gain weight. That's a little scary that medicine can do that to a person.

As for Barry Ort's connection to Lisa R - I thought some of you must have heard this. Last year when she was in Italy (I know she just recently did an Italy show but this was last year) Barry Ort was on with Jacque Gonzales on a KJL show. Out of the blue he made a reference to 'the missus' being in Italy. I thought he was joking but then he hinted that she really WAS his missus. Then Jacque said 'Lisa and Barry ARE married'. She went on to say that it was supposed to be a secret but it had already leaked out. She also said she was sure Lisa wouldn't mind them disclosing it or something along those lines. The next day when he was on (and I don't remember who the host was) he said again 'she left without me'. When I tuned into Lisa's Italy show she said absolutely nothing about it. No one called to ask her either (although she doesn't get too many calls on the Italy shows). At that point I was watching QVC only sporadically (as I am now) but I tried to watch the shows I thought Lisa would host to see if there was any more mention of it. Again nothing, she never talked about it and I never caught anyone phoning to ask her about it. Then only once, I saw the two of them (Lisa and Barry) doing a part of a show together. There was no mention at all of them being married from either one of them, but at the end they kissed (just an on the lips kind of kiss, no tonsil swapping obviously) and the banter between them was on the familiar side. All of this was maybe about a year or so ago, so not that long. The only thing I can figure out is that Lisa absolutely wants this kept quiet and that even callers are screened before being allowed to talk to her. And of course it's also possible that by now they're not together anymore. In any case I never heard it mentioned again and when I was reading posts on this board I got the impression that no one here was aware of it, but I figured SOMEONE had to have heard this - I couldn't possibly be the only one who tuned into that KJL show on that day. It almost seems like the Twilight Zone or something. I do feel that Barry was very anxious to have it out but obviously Lisa wasn't. One other thing I remember, on the show with Jacque I believe Barry said he was going to Italy when he wrapped up there.

I was reluctant to post this because it sounds so way out there, but I swear I did see that show and did hear Barry and Jacque discussing it. I was really hoping someone else had caught it and I tried to go back a ways but couldn't find any reference to it on this board. If anyone out there has seen this please let me know. Actually I wouldn't be a bit surprised if my entire post regarding this gets deleted.

bimbo du jour

bimbo du jour

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 11:29 AM

I do not for one second believe that Barry Ort and Lisa Robertson are married to each other. I think they are friends, and they were having a joke on us. I do recall that they went to one of the gazillion inauguration parties together, but I think that was work-related to sell more faux pearls. My take: LisaR is very ambitious, and she'll hitch her wagon to anyone who can help her climb the social ladder. Barry has a lot of connections to the rich and famous. Lately, they seem a bit chilly with each other, so maybe Barry figured it out, and/or LisaR decided to hitch her wagon to a different horse with connections.

I miss Kenneth Jay Lane. I adore that curmudgeon. He does turn up once in a while. Now, there's a man with connections and stories.

Fishyswa

Fishyswa

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 11:44 AM

I think Barry Ort is more likely married to Kenneth Jay Lane than he is to LisaR. Curmudgeon is an excellent word for Kenneth Jay Lane. It used to drive me bonkers when he would cough and clear his throat continuously (blech), but I think he stopped that when he quit smoking. I have to agree I don't mind the curmudgeon. He's certainly earned that title.

ArmyMomKat

ArmyMomKat

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 11:57 AM

Hiya, Newbe here. Tony Little needs to lay off the Bison, he is starting to look like one. And what's with all the white bread. Yulk....

witchissie

witchissie

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 12:01 PM

Well, if they were having a joke, and it seems to me like that's what it probably was, I'm sure Lisa was not in on it nor was amused by it. And I'm rather surprised that Jacque backed him up if that's all it was. I don't particularly care for Barry Ort. I've heard him say things like 'now this is definitely for younger women', as if he's such an authority on women. I miss KJL too and I"m glad to hear he puts in an appearance once in a while. He does seem a bit conceited but that's part of his persona. I thought he might be in failing health like Nolan Miller. Hope that's not the case, he's been around a long time.

govgirl

govgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 1:07 PM

Just read on the Q boards that Amy announced last night she won't be back on PM Style -- hooray! Didn't mind her so much helping with the clothing, but the tweet/facebook thing was a joke. Now if we can only get rid of Fashion Friend doing the same thing in the mornings. Had to chuckle this a.m. when Jayne stood in for Pat to co-host with Dan: neither one of them knew when Pat was coming back.

As for LisaR being married: wasn't she involved with that ShopNBC owner/manager for a lengthy time? I seriously doubt if she's ever been married.

And today's TSV: who is designing this Qrap? And, how many did Carolyn order?

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 1:08 PM

Shawn was on earlier. I usually think she's amusing but when presenting the new pork burgers she twice said "my jowls are salivating". Gross. I don't want to hear about Shawn's jowls and her spit. She then presented the soft shell crabs, which I have a hard time with also since you're supposed to eat the shell and ALL. I had to change the channel.

I watched Leah yesterday for awhile during the Isaac shows. I thought it was strange that she did two shows. One earlier around noon then again a double shift closing out the evening. I did laugh that the last time I saw Isaac he was on with PiPatti and she was playing it like she was his bestest gal pal, but where was Patti? She wasn't paired with him those 2 shows. I wondered if Isaac requested Leah because she was definitely more of a "yes, uh huh, yes, you're right" host and let Isaac praise himself while she nodded in agreement. Patti and LaLisa do most of the talking when they're hosting, but Isaac likes being the predominant personality on set. Isaac the diva probably gets all boo-f***ing-hoo when he's not the center of everything.

During Isaac's show I saw several items presented that were not from his line exactly. The camcorder, straw hat, sunglasses, sheet sets, and the swim dress were made by other vendor's but Isaac put his name on them. Ridiculous. I'm not going to buy those just because his name is on them. His name doesn't make those things better. Not falling for it. I laughed when Carolyn Gracie was on earlier that day because she sold a couple of things mentioning specifically that those vendors weren't just putting their names on something trying to rip off someone else but actually manufactured their own items. LOL. A verbal swipe at Isaac, Carolyn? Made me laugh. I'm sick of Isaac's name being put on everything just to try and sell it. It's almost like a dog lifting his leg marking every tree.

Last Sunday was QVC's special 5 easy pay day. I had been contemplating the Steel by Design set of 3 bangles and was going to buy them. I'd seen them presented several times and they've always looked nice. Luckily, I checked out the reviews first and some said that the goldtone and rosetone color wears off of them quickly ruining them. I ended up not buying anything on their blow out 5 easy pay extravaganza day. Years ago, I would have been scouring their website looking to take advantage of the event. This time, the 1 thing I wanted stunk and I tuned out. Things sure have changed.

I heard Barry Ort on-air that night talking about LaLisa like she was his "wife", but he was just joking around. Barry is gay. He loves to be shallow and joke that Lisa is his girl because she's the shopping diva and beauty diva of the Q. Barry isn't serious. They do pal around. I've heard they've gone shopping and to the theater together like 2 girls out on the town. Barry just likes to be the little diva when he's on-air.

The t-shirt TSV. I guess they were trying to ritz up the plain old t-shirt by giving it a trapunto stitch neckline but it doesn't look inspired to me. Looks like something my mother would have worn in the 70's. Just not my style.

witchissie

witchissie

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 1:58 PM

Well, what a serious jerk that Barry is. And bugger Jacque for going along with him like that. I don't mind telling you I feel like the fool to end all fools. I was actually taken in by it. People have always teased me that I'll believe anything, I'm the most gullible person alive and once again that's proven right. Dang!

I actually meant to say something about Shawn, as she was mentioned earlier. Someone a while back had posted tht she looks like Princess Diana, and I heard a viewer tell her that once. I always thought she did too but I think she purposely cultivates that look.

BTW Sunshine Gal, thank you for confirming that you did hear Snort say that, even if he was joking. I was starting to doubt my sanity.

Edited by TWoP Nikita, Jun 22, 2010 @ 3:07 PM.
off-topic

Purselover

Purselover

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 2:10 PM

Ripoff is at Sam's Club? First the Shopping Channel and now Sam's Club?

Oh my. The crown seems to be slipping in favor of fast bucks.

I think Shawn favors Suze Orman more than Princess Di, but I see it too.

witchissie

witchissie

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 2:16 PM

I'll have to check S. Orman out next time she's on. I admit I don't recall her face. Hopefully Shawn won't start speaking with a British accent. (just joking).

bimbo du jour

bimbo du jour

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 3:17 PM

Well, what a serious jerk that Barry is. And bugger Jacque for going along with him like that.

Aw, I like Barry. He's a serious team player at QVC, always referencing other vendors. He works hard at his job. Now, Jacque, on the other hand, I think she likes to stir up trouble, and likes to make digs at LisaR.

I've seen Judith Ripka at TJMAxx. Not the Q items, her JR II items. I heard that the department stores are dropping her line, so she'll only be available on QVC and in her boutiques. The same thing happened to Christopher Radko a few years back. The regular retail outlets simply aren't interested in competing with QVC.

Fishyswa

Fishyswa

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 4:58 PM

Jacque, on the other hand, I think she likes to stir up trouble, and likes to make digs at LisaR.

I'm sure it was good natured teasing all the way around... after all, Lisa stood up in Jacque's wedding, so I imagine they are buddies. Besides, JMO but The Goddess needs to be knocked down a notch or two from her diva pedestal every now and again. YMMV

I watched Punky Brewster (perfect description of Shawn) earlier and found the advice of a poster very helpful. The advice about tuning out her nonsense seemed to work and I could actually watch the show.

pooh happens

pooh happens

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 7:01 PM

Well, what a serious jerk that Barry is. And bugger Jacque for going along with him like that. I don't mind telling you I feel like the fool to end all fools. I was actually taken in by it. People have always teased me that I'll believe anything, I'm the most gullible person alive and once again that's proven right. Dang!

witchissie, number 1 welcome, number 2 don't beat up on yourself so quickly. I too saw that KJL show with Jacque & Barry last year. My first thought was she found someone who will put up with her Diva insecurities. Good for her. But when nothing else was ever mentioned about it I too thought I must have been in the Twilight Zone.
Jacque doesn't strike me as the kind to go along with such an elaborate joke. (and I fail to see any kind of joke value.) Her excitement that night seemed genuine.
I have found it curious that Lisa & Barry have never done any full shows together since. Lisa almost always did the KJL shows.
Also about a month ago Lisa was doing a Royal Palace rug show & inbetween all the blah, blah, blahs she said "Barry & I were shopping for carpeting this past weekend & oh the prices."
I'm not totally convinced yet that there is no relationship.
Perhaps the QVC Jeffreee & Judy marriage taught a history lesson. Not a good move to go public.
I say it's still an open case.

niftyfifty

niftyfifty

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 7:33 PM

I certainly don't know anything about Lisa's relationship to Barry. However, I did hear him mention several months ago that he had purchased something for his wife. My ears perked up because I thought he was gay and I was surprised to hear him mention a wife. The thing that he does that I find annoying is that he constantly mentions Lisa when he is on with other hosts. He says things like, "Lisa loves this" or " Lisa would look great in that necklace" as if Lisa's taste is the gold standard for all good taste.I think it is particularly rude when he is paired with another host to bring her into the presentation.
All that aside, I can't even imagine the Duchess being attracted to him. I believe that it has been documented that she had relationships with Paul Kelly and Dave King. Line the three of those dudes up and which one is not like the others. Just sayin.

Merchant Queen

Merchant Queen

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 8:16 PM

This discussion of Lisa and Barry and a possible marriage has raised my antennae. It IS possible that they are married and that it is a marriage of convenience, if indeed he is gay. They could actually be Best Friends and love talking with each other, shopping, etc, best-girlfriends stuff, but they just don't sleep together. It would give him the cover of respectability he might feel that he needs.

I happen to know a couple, married a very long time, childless, and if you ever met him you would immediately swear he is gay. No one has Ever mentioned it to either him or to her nor have they mentioned it to anyone. I once heard her say that they were "just best friends" and that kind of solidified it with me. I think that this type of Marriage of Convenience may be more prevalent that we all know. JMHO.

Purselover

Purselover

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 8:41 PM

All that aside, I can't even imagine the Duchess being attracted to him. I believe that it has been documented that she had relationships with Paul Kelly and Dave King. Line the three of those dudes up and which one is not like the others. Just sayin.

Other than a friend, I can't either.

I remember when Lisa had on Michael Dawkins and it was his first show. She was VERY attracted to him, you could feel it through the screen, hair flipping, eye batting, coy little jokes, unbridled flattery and banter, it was SO strong I thought she was going to lean in and lick him. Only thing was he didn't seem comfortable at all. But I thought at the time, well, if he's straight and unmarried maybe they'll date.

mzbrooklyn

mzbrooklyn

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 8:48 PM

she's the shopping diva and beauty diva of the Q

Kinda hard to get one's head around that highly advertised theory when she wears the same clothes continually. I remember the white trousers worn constantly, which morphed into the too-long, black bell-bottom jeans and black platform shoes, and now the cream color jacket that has been added to the mix.

PS- there is a term in the community which refers to straight women who hang out mostly with gay men. What the heck, most of them are not only fun, but funny. And, they love to shop. Barry Ort probably knows all the best shopping in NYC.

godfreydaniels

godfreydaniels

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 9:14 PM

News Flash!! For all the Carolyn Gracie lovers. She will be cooking "Dog Treats" for her new (yet again) show called something like In the kitchen with Carolyn, or Kitchen surprises, sorry, the exact title escapes me as I wasn't really THAT interested, but I did hear the part about her homemade pet treats. Tptb must think she is more talented than I do. Too bad they haven't found her talents yet.

Edited by godfreydaniels, Jun 22, 2010 @ 9:15 PM.

pooh happens

pooh happens

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 23, 2010 @ 12:27 AM

This discussion of Lisa and Barry and a possible marriage has raised my antennae. It IS possible that they are married and that it is a marriage of convenience, if indeed he is gay. They could actually be Best Friends and love talking with each other, shopping, etc, best-girlfriends stuff, but they just don't sleep together. It would give him the cover of respectability he might feel that he needs.

Merchant Queen then shouldn't that be all the more reason to make a public announcement?

As for the attraction part what comes to my mind is:

Xavier Cugat & Charo
Anthony Franciosa & Shelley Winters
Marilyn Monroe & Arthur Miller
and my absolute favorite:
Ava Gardner & Mickey Rooney

Who knows what stirs up that chemical attraction.

AuntCarol

AuntCarol

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 23, 2010 @ 12:35 AM

She had a relationship with Paul Kelly not Dave King. I know DK and he says no.

Quigs

Quigs

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 23, 2010 @ 3:45 AM

Re: Lisa and Barry - It's very fashionable nowadays to have a "gay husband" in addition to a real husband or boyfriend. Many women brag about it. The gay husband is great to hang out with and usually up on the latest shops, gossip, etc.

govgirl

govgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 23, 2010 @ 7:04 AM

George Simonton just said this morning that LisaR came to NY to shop and have lunch with him; she obviously has a good rapport with all or most of the male vendors on the Q and it often sounds to me that she has more male friends than female. She does seem like she'd be a genuine good friend and be fun to hang out with.

Have to give Patti credit last night for keeping the D&C TSV top on for her 1 hour show. Did her no favors, to be sure. She seems so lost at times, as she was trying to giggle and make jokes, which no one seemed to be getting. A few times the models had that "what?" look on their faces when she was jabbering. When her hour ended, she looked like she couldn't wait to get out of there.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2010 @ 9:08 AM

When her hour ended, she looked like she couldn't wait to get out of there.

That made two of us.

Jane Keebler Elf calls MarkCharles Missilli "my on-air husband". One show after just doing a presentation with MarkCharles, she dubbed one of the other male vendors "my second on-air husband" then asked MarkCharles if he were jealous. SHUT UP, JANE! That's not entertaining to me at all. I found it childish and foolish. I didn't tune in to see Fake Housewives of West Chester County.

Edited by SunShine Gal, Jun 23, 2010 @ 9:30 AM.

niftyfifty

niftyfifty

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2010 @ 9:33 AM

I didn't tune in to see Fake Housewives of West Chester County.

I think you are on to something, SunShine Gal! I remember when I first started watching the Q, I couldn't believe how often the selling points for jewelry, clothing and food products revolved around their appropriateness for the "holiday parties" and for all of our "entertaining", and for our "cruise vacations". It was as if they viewed the customers as socialites who spent their free time shopping from television to prepare for the next social gathering. I remember thinking, "where do people really wear all that diamonique and Nolan Miller jewelry?" I'm sure there are some customers who actually do live lives like the "housewives of <insert city of choice here>. But, I think they have duped many others into buying boat loads of jewelry and clothes that really don't fit well with the lives they live.

mzbrooklyn

mzbrooklyn

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 23, 2010 @ 1:07 PM

Who knows what stirs up that chemical attraction.

Probably a few other "chemicals" to begin with.

Purselover

Purselover

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 23, 2010 @ 2:24 PM

But, I think they have duped many others into buying boat loads of jewelry and clothes that really don't fit well with the lives they live.

What I call "Shopping Channel appeal to the viewer's Pretend Lives". The shopping channels all know we would love to live those lives. I think for some, buying these things helps to promote that pretend life in their own minds.

Snarkety Snark

Snarkety Snark

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 23, 2010 @ 9:05 PM

Just weighing in on the Lisa R./Barry Ort thing: I followed it at the time and I'm definitely in the "it was a joke" camp. They were just being silly and playing around.

SBar54321

SBar54321

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 24, 2010 @ 7:40 AM

I watched the Elisabeth hasselback show last night with Patti R. hosting and I have to say, Patti seems so intimidated by so many of the guests. She acted like and asked for constant approval and even threw in her "mantra phrase" about making the day/your life count or something like that. I have to say she looked good in the animal print top and it was a nice change from the skin tight tops she normally wears. BUT...my eyes, my eyes (in my best Phoebe voice)...those JEANS!!!! OMG, she looked HUGE!!!! I know Elisabeth is a tiny woman, but Patti looked like a giant pear next to her, but Patti mentioned several times that she is an XS.

weenerdog

weenerdog

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2010 @ 7:45 AM

Wait, Elisabeth is xs, or Patti?