Shopping Channel Shows

• Please log in to reply

65185 replies to this topic

papiermache

papiermache

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 30, 2008 @ 8:36 PM

I love the HO's new host Candice Kumai. She has a friendly smile and her voice is deep and soothing, for which I'm always a sucker. Like Ms. Colleen.

White Noise

White Noise

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 30, 2008 @ 8:40 PM

I'm going to confess... I like to watch the Kirk's Folly shows. The jewelry isn't my style but I like to look at it. The set is filled with flowers, greenery, twinkly sparkles in the background and a handsome, virile, role-playing actor posing as Braveheart exuding chivalry and romance... okay, it was some sweet talk and lies while bringing up a new item. I enjoy that it's not the same old, same old set we see.

ITA, SunShine Gal! The entertainment of the Kirks Folly shows is what got me watching the Q in the first place! As much as I want to snark away, I can't because deep down, I think it's fun in its total over-the-top-ness. Braveheart talking like a duck was classic -- I think Patti tried to shut him up by saying something about how they're going to be on The Soup again. Boo, Patti.

I too have wondered if Mister Shannon has a lisp....

I'm glad I'm not the only one, SmoothSatin. I did a search and couldn't find anyone else mentioning it so I wondered if it was just the half-asleep haze I was in.

MyOwn2Sense

MyOwn2Sense

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2008 @ 8:45 PM

I'm going to confess... I like to watch the Kirk's Folly shows.

I like to watch too but now I only catch them once in awhile. When Judy was hosting with Jenniefer, it was great fun. They're close friends and it made the show even more enjoyable. The pieces were not as gaudy as they are now. In the retail stores 10 years ago, they were even more understated. I bought two pieces in a boutique in St. Augustine at that time: a pair of earrings with a created alexandrite drop and a butterfly pin with amber crystals. They are still beautiful to this day. I have never purchased Kirk's Folly on tv but I still do enjoy the shows when I can. On one of the trips to St. Augustine, I met Jenniefer when she made a personal appearance there. The woman is delightful and very down to earth. Everyone loved her. She's a pretty woman in person with beautiful skin.
When the guy started talking like a duck, I'd been doing dishes. I looked up when I heard that but didn't know what prompted it. Thanks for filling us in, SunShine Gal. The women just about lost their minds. Patti was really thrown. She tried to recover herself but Jenniefer couldn't stop giggling. Now I see that Patti was probably annoyed that the man got the better of her. Interesting.

That's TinkerBell moonlighting. After being arrested for soliciting, she answered an ad in the paper. "Disney Fairies needed for modeling crystals". Recovering from a hangover she thought it read "Kirk's Jollies".

Ha haa haaa. Good one.
I'm going to try to link to the heart charm ring I bought. However, the links to the Q items don't often work sometimes. I'll give it a go.[url="http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx?view=2&app=detailÂms=item"J2179,frames"y,from"se,cm_scid"isrc,cm_ssi"Item:%20J2179&cm_re=PAGE-_-SEARCH-_-J2179"]J-2179[/url] NO. I can see it didn't work but that is the item number. I think it's cute and I hope I will still think so when it gets here.

17 Roses

17 Roses

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2008 @ 8:47 PM

I agree with you, papiermache - Candice is lovely. Her clothes are young and fresh and her voice is fantastic - well modulated and deep. I instantly compared her to LaLisa (voice-wise) and what I loved is that she used complete prices: "thirty nine dollars and fifty cents" rather than La's tired "thirty nine dollars and change". I really think that QVC needs an infusion of young hosts.

Did anyone watch Susan Lucci on the Ho? She is really a lovely lady. However, at one point she sat down to talk about the dress they were showing (and that she was wearing) and I was shocked to see her legs. They looked like they were full of lumps. From the calves all the way up to her thighs. She is so tiny that the lumps or bumps were very obvious - I hope I'm wrong?

MyOwn2Sense

MyOwn2Sense

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2008 @ 9:23 PM

Did anyone watch Susan Lucci on the Ho? She is really a lovely lady. However, at one point she sat down to talk about the dress they were showing (and that she was wearing) and I was shocked to see her legs. They looked like they were full of lumps. From the calves all the way up to her thighs. She is so tiny that the lumps or bumps were very obvious - I hope I'm wrong?

Her veins show a lot. They are not the varicose veins but they are apparent. She's also got a fair amount of sagging and some loose skin there and on her arms. I was only a few feet away from her several years ago so I was able to see this. In light of this, I don't know why she just doesn't wear stockings. They make the legs look smoother. Still, she's in her early sixties and is perfectly proportioned and her face and figure are flawless other than that. For that age and time of life, she looks great. Far better than average. Oh, and she's very, very nice. Never once did she show signs of fatigue or disinterest and she'd been seeing people, talking and signing autographs all day in the hot Florida sun, ending with a parade into the night. I wasn't in line for that, just observing so I got to see her and her husband without anyone in my way. He's a handsome man but showing his age as well. That's what happens. People get older, if their lucky. They're a really good looking couple even at their ages.

Edited by MyOwn2Sense, Apr 30, 2008 @ 9:28 PM.

SmoothSatin

SmoothSatin

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 30, 2008 @ 11:08 PM

JRT went on and on about how the Q has never done an omega like the TSV. Really? I'd swear I'd seen it before, and it looks like something Flavor Flav would wear. Too heavy and too much $. Why are we subjected to yet another jewelry item? I'd rather see another cookie jar. And who really can afford these new Bobbi overpriced items?

OK, I see the Omega on the model now, it doesn't look that heavy and big, It was so thick and huge up close, before they had it on the model.

I love KF jewelry, but can get it at Bloomie's, so why buy + shipping? Please, could we have a month without TSV's that are omegas, fax machine, cameras,...

EW. I just turned on CNN and we have Larry King and Michael Moore. How gross. OK, NO ONE on QVC or HSN could ever gross me out that way. My eyes hurt.

Susan Lucci: I think overall her items on the Ho show some real class, which cannot be said of some of the other vendors.

A few Darac items came today, and they were sent in a HUGE box. Smallish envelopes and products in a large box. Huh? Already I have made up my mind to send them back, just for that. After using them for a while, of course.

Edited by SmoothSatin, Apr 30, 2008 @ 11:14 PM.

MsFlibbles

MsFlibbles

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 30, 2008 @ 11:10 PM

I've noticed lately that the TSV's on QVC haven't been selling out. Could be the economy, could be that the Q overestimates what the market will handle or could be that the average shopper is getting more savvy. Or, hoarders are running out of storage space.

Now that its Gold Month according to QVC. Will we be seeing at least one hour a day of gold shows? And will the items all be on easy pay?

Edited by MsFlibbles, Apr 30, 2008 @ 11:12 PM.

sinderellagirl

sinderellagirl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2008 @ 11:28 PM

In the minority here.. I like Jill, she is knowledgeable but, for doGs sake Jill... Get a Manicure! Her fingernails yesterday were ragged and dirty, just nasty looking!

Have Jane's ears gotten bigger?? She is morphing into Dumbo! Hate her outfit tonite, puffy sleeves, ruffles around the collar, not flattering at all! Every time the camera zooms in for a close up of the jewelry.. you can see that she didn't get her self tanner on evenly, and all those liver/sun/age spots are taking over her body! I wish one of the camera people or vendors would whip out a roll of duct tape and apply it liberally to her pie hole!

AuntCarol

AuntCarol

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2008 @ 11:40 PM

2. To catch the presenter's hand and the container, they started lighting Masonic Lisa from the top, instead of the front. I don't know what makeup brand they use on the hosts at QPC, but it was pretty obvious there was a lot of it. A lot!

I've heard Lisa Mason say that she has bad skin. Also she has lupus which I think causes skin problems.

Can it be that the Q hosts or HO hosts make almost a million dollars??

I don't think they make that much. They start off around $50,000. I think Levine made in the 200,000 range. I can't imagine any of them make over $500,000.

Strega

Strega

Network Executive

Posted Apr 30, 2008 @ 11:45 PM

I'm pinning this since we seem to have had quite a few new posters recently and I want to make sure y'all are clear on the rules here.

If you haven't done so, please read the Dos & Don'ts and the FAQ. If you ignore our rules on posting, you're likely to get warned, suspended, or banned.

It is important that you stay on topic. The thread name is "shopping channel shows." That's the topic. This is a site about television. If your post is mainly about your own shopping habits, product reviews, makeup preferences, day-to-day life, etc., you're off-topic.

You can certainly link to another website if you want to reference something you saw on TV, or discuss a news item, but the focus here should be on the programs, not the minutiae of the QVC website.

If you're unclear about the posting guidelines, please email or PM me. Thanks.

SmoothSatin

SmoothSatin

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 30, 2008 @ 11:47 PM

I think Jane has had ear implants. Aren't big ears supposed to be attractive? Lupus does affect the skin, it's one reason BE is a fav of women with lupus. Mineral make-up gives good coverage.

AuntCarol

AuntCarol

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2008 @ 11:48 PM

Doesn't anyone else think she is verging on anorxia? I haven't seen her in person but she appears to be VERY underweight. She's got that lollipop head thing going. Where people lose so much weight that their head looks disporportionately large.

SmoothSatin

SmoothSatin

Channel Surfer

Posted May 1, 2008 @ 12:19 AM

AuntCarol, I agree. I think Susan Lucci looks way too thin. I think "osteoporosis" when I see her.

I wonder if GrenierGirl is sending hate notes to Slatkin. His candles are more $, and so different.

ETA: Darn! His candles mostly seem to be made in China. What is it, everything has to be made there? I am searching other candles, some are made here, some there. Wow, so many things made in China. And I wonder what the cost is for the Q? Hmmmm.....I have to stop, it's depressing, all these Christmas items are coming up. It's been so cold, almost like Christmas here!

ValParrHill, how much mark-up is there, ValParrHill?

Quacker Factory / Kirks Folly - does it seem as if these two are weird stepsisters to each other, with their messages of Hope? And dreams?

Edited by SmoothSatin, May 1, 2008 @ 12:41 AM.

17 Roses

17 Roses

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2008 @ 6:23 AM

Still, she's in her early sixties and is perfectly proportioned and her face and figure are flawless other than that. For that age and time of life, she looks great. Far better than average.

I agree, MyOwn2Sense. I think she is beautiful and she was always my favorite on AMC. I think she's become more lovely with age. I ordered her Youthful Essence Microdermabrasion kit. I loved the dress she was wearing, too, although I preferred the large flower when she showed it pinned to her hair rather than on the bodice of the dress. She's very gracious, and I caught a cute, very quick stifled giggle when Suzanne Runyan said that "we all know Father's Day is right around the corner". :)

binda

binda

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2008 @ 7:44 AM

Speaking of Susan Lucci.... JMO but I've never been able to warm up to her. Her gestures and manner of speaking just sound soooo 'affected' that I just can't believe her schpiels. Now as an actress it works. That's probably why I think she's acting when she is selling her 'stuff'. Plus if there's someone who needs self tanner, it is her, to cover up or make less noticeable all that skin she is so intent on exposing. Sometimes not so attractive.

MyOwn2Sense

MyOwn2Sense

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2008 @ 8:32 AM

Doesn't anyone else think she is verging on anorxia? I haven't seen her in person but she appears to be VERY underweight.

She doesn't seem anorexic to me. Susan Lucci is tiny but has an hour glass figure. I also have heard her say that she wears a size 2. At 5'2", that's about right, I'd say.

joisnina

joisnina

Channel Surfer

Posted May 1, 2008 @ 8:57 AM

Good Morning - Moviestarr- Great idea to tip one everytime LaLisa says Madison Ave - I needed an excuse. Sunshine Gal - I love the Kirk's Folly shows, not so much the jewelry, but so clever and entertaining. But PLEASE - why compare JRT to Elphaba? Elphaba is great - and not a real talker - I'm sure she'd put a Hex on Janie in a second. I think Jane is a Shame! She has a pretty face, but the hair conjures Mr Spock and the clothes couldn't be more unflattering. She looks fat, fat, fat. Also, one can't help getting old - and if you've Irish complexion, age spots come with the territory. But for dog's sake, COVER THEM. As for S Lucci - she reminds me of Nancy Reagan in hooker clothes - both petite beautiful ladies who need to gain a little weight to fill out the bones. And Ms Lucci needs to cover her bones.

Kathcart

Kathcart

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2008 @ 9:19 AM

I have finally figured out why TPTB at QVC allow Susan Graver to yammer nonstop while whichever host is assigned to work with her is also yammering nonstop!

It's actually a brilliant scheme, now that I understand it: You know how all this research lately shows that we need to use our brains more, especially as we get older, to enhance our quality of life? Well, when (as happened in the one minute, seventeen seconds of it I could stand last night) JRT is yammering yammering yammering away about some godawful SG ponte knit swing dress and at the exact same time Grater is grating grating grating about said ponte knit swing dress, it taxes the old brain to try to follow the two conversations at the same time. Add a gushing caller and it's practically impossible to listen to. BUT! If you work really hard at it, imagine the exercise your brain is getting!

So in the name of a public service (offering us the opportunity to keep our minds sharp as we get older), QVC is also ensuring that more of their customers will remain sharper longer, and thus able to operate their computers and phones for easy ordering for YEARS to come. Gosh, thanks, QVC!

On a related note: The wiggle-waggling of products on the air ... knock it off, would you, show hosts? I understand why you do it when it's jewelry (even though it's annoying) -- it makes the jewelry sparkle under the studio lights. Okay, I get it. But some of the hosts are in such a habit that they now wiggle-waggle everything. Rick D. wiggle-waggled that TSV chef's knife the other night at midnight! It's a KNIFE, Rick! D'you think we'll be more likely to buy it if it's SHINY?? But the capper for me was that ugly ponte knit dress Susan Graver was yapping about last night. She was holding one dress in each hand, and wiggling them back and forth. Oh, I get it that she was demonstrating the vaunted "drapability" of the fabric (you know, it's just like butter -- yep, it drapes the way butter drapes) but she looked like a complete idiot.

Put me down for Team Jill.

SunShine Gal, the crack about seersucker was a hoot! I forgot to say so yesterday. I will never be able to buy seersucker again without feeling like a SUCKER.

Merchant Queen

Merchant Queen

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2008 @ 10:00 AM

RE yapping vendors and yapping hosts ~~ I do NOT understand the phenomenon. Look at it this way: the host has to do X minutes on a product, be it three minutes or ten minutes. Frankly, I would be hard-pressed to do 45 seconds on some of them, they are so gawdawful.

So, here is a willing vendor who can take over and fill all of the minutes for the host ...... what a deal !! The host can make listening noises, throw in an adjective or adverb here and there, smile a lot, and just skate along until it's time for the blasted phonecalls. There is Zero reason for the host to yap at all, Unless there is no Vendor present. For the speed-talking hosts, they are just shooting themselves in the foot, since if they were to Slow Down, they could then fill the time for a product with far fewer words and make much more sense of it.

All the job of a Host is, is Filling Time, either with going-to-the-phones, or letting the Vendors do their bit in demonstrating the product, or simply filling the minutes remaining on the clock ...... day after day, week after week, month after month ...... THIS is the glamorous Dream Job ??

coolkid

coolkid

Channel Surfer

Posted May 1, 2008 @ 10:22 AM

I personally use LaLisa as an fab exercise plan Every time she mentions anything relating money, I start sprint in place for ten seconds. Let's just say in the last two weeks I have lost 14 pounds. When the ripoff anniversary was on alone I lost 4.

Edited by coolkid, May 1, 2008 @ 11:08 AM.

AmyLynnEsq

AmyLynnEsq

Video Archivist

Posted May 1, 2008 @ 11:05 AM

Aaaw, I liked the Kirk's Folly show. I didn't buy anything (I don't do silver or gold tone) but it's fun to watch. And the Braveheart guy wasn't bad to look at *is sucker for guy in a kilt and/or with an accent, even if fake* If I were Patti, I wouldn't have minded his "flirtations!"

The amount of food that's going to waste during the TSV presentations is really getting to me today. Every 5 seconds -- chop, chop, trash...chop, chop, trash. Cheese, salami, tomatoes, celery, green onion -- all apparently going into the same bin behind the counter so you know they're not saving it for anything. Hey, make up some appetizer trays for the staff or something, why don't ya?

Thank god someone else mentioned that. I really wanted to call in and complain- in a time when people can't buy food because it's too expensive, it's incredibly wasteful to toss everything behind the counter into a trash bin. I was horrified.

joisnina

joisnina

Channel Surfer

Posted May 1, 2008 @ 12:41 PM

Hello - 911 - what is your emergency?

Me - Halp! LaLisa's on. Every time she says "Madison Ave", I take a wee sip of Merlot and every time she says "Ladies who lunch" I bounce on my trampoline, OOOPs, my InTone Jogger (F150727) with handlebar. Now, I'm lying in a pool of red wine, with a Chihuahua licking my face, a trampoline on top of me and my foot is jammed between two bungee cords!

SmoothSatin

SmoothSatin

Channel Surfer

Posted May 1, 2008 @ 12:43 PM

Susan Lucci is too thin, and looks anorectic. She looks like she could collapse in a mess of bone dust on the set. She can't possibly be a 2, she's more likely a child sized 12

shoplib

shoplib

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2008 @ 1:21 PM

I finally just had to chime in on the Jill discussion, even though enough has probably been said. I understand the "stern" vibe some people get from her, and I can be just as annoyed with her as anyone else - sometimes depending as much on my mood as anything else - thank goodness for FF. But all in all, I do think that she's one of the better hosts. She does a good job of describing things and comes across, to me, as professional. I think she seems a little cold or aloof at times because she doesn't fall into that mold of beauty queen trying to win everyone's approval and be voted most popular.

But I wish she would get a hair makeover! That lopsided topheavy flop never worked, and it's really old now.

I wondered about the gold Steel By Design. I had some bad brassy gold plated jewelry so I'm skeptical about the color of this line.

Merchant Queen

Merchant Queen

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2008 @ 1:22 PM

Well Sports Fans, it's Official ~~~ Rich Hollenberg is Gone-Gone-Gone from the HSN Host List.

Who's next, who's next ......... kinda like watching a game of Russian Roulette ........

SmoothSatin

SmoothSatin

Channel Surfer

Posted May 1, 2008 @ 1:25 PM

Where are they training the new hosts????!!!!! Hey Jill, 1987 called, it wants it's haircut back! At least Jill won't dissolve into bone dust on the set!

ETA: Couldn't Nick Arrojo have done a makeover on Jill yesterday?!

Edited by SmoothSatin, May 1, 2008 @ 2:23 PM.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2008 @ 1:39 PM

Well Sports Fans, it's Official ~~~ Rich Hollenberg is Gone-Gone-Gone from the HSN Host List.

Oh, Merchant Queen. This is horrible. I sort of liked Rich. This off-ing of HSN hosts, when will it end? Does this seem like one of those horror movies? I can't remember the name but if you're picture is gone then so are you! If the hosts picture is gone, so are they. Host Death Watch HSN 2008. That must be terrible for Rich. He's been hosting so long that he hasn't put in time in another career. What is a former host trained to do in the real world? I hope he'll be okay.

AbbeyGrace

AbbeyGrace

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 1, 2008 @ 2:00 PM

Susan Lucci is too thin, and looks anorectic. She looks like she could collapse in a mess of bone dust on the set. She can't possibly be a 2, she's more likely a child sized 12

Oh, you mean like Jodie Foster in Taxi Driver?

SmoothSatin

SmoothSatin

Channel Surfer

Posted May 1, 2008 @ 2:33 PM

Huh? I have no idea what that means, about Jodie Foster?

I liked Rich also. Do you think maybe they're voting each off the network, like the way they do on "Big Brother"? His time was drastically cut down in the recent past. I wonder when they know...

MyOwn2Sense

MyOwn2Sense

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2008 @ 2:46 PM

What is a former host trained to do in the real world? I hope he'll be okay.

SunShine Gal, that's a good question. I liked him too. I don't remember what his bio said but maybe he has other broadcasting experience or education. I wonder if some of them go to work for the manufacturers, perhaps as sales reps.