Shopping Channel Shows

• Please log in to reply

65189 replies to this topic

glstx

glstx

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2004 @ 11:53 PM

I started this thread because of the off topic discussion we started in the Semi-Ho thread. Quacker Factory lady is really scary. The worst I saw was when she was hassling Bob and Bob on a kitchen show saying, "You better not be cooking any quackers." Man, she is weird.

Quacker Factory Lady, Lisa Robertson's eyebrows, Nick Chavez's hair.

Discuss.

texplant

texplant

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 12, 2004 @ 1:22 AM

glstx, I'm so glad you started this thread I am hooked on watching QVC. The creator of the Bare Escentuals make-up is one weird looking lady. I have to admit I bought the Cook's Essentials cookware and I love it.

cronox5

cronox5

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2004 @ 1:26 AM

Nobody will ever top Don West. The guy made sports cards fun to watch.

PostToastie

PostToastie

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2004 @ 10:03 AM

The creator of the Bare Escentuals make-up is one weird looking lady.

But her make up is good. I bought some of her eye-shadow (at Sephora) and it is really good and it lasts a long time. I've never bought anything like that off of QVC because I'm afraid of the tan membership problem (you can't get away from it. I've had to actually close checking accounts to get them to stop taking money out), but her products are good.

truffles17

truffles17

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2004 @ 11:21 AM

Nobody will ever top Don West.

Is this the same guy who used to pair up with that other guy and pimp the Beanie Babies early in the morning? There is something not quite right about two middle-age men getting that excited about stuffed animals. They used to do other things too, like knives and baseball cards, I think, so that's why I thought it was the same person.

Edited by truffles17, Jun 12, 2004 @ 11:24 AM.

mousepad

mousepad

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 12, 2004 @ 4:33 PM

The creator of the Bare Escentuals make-up is one weird looking lady

Marylin Miglin is weird looking also. Her face is stretched tight, thus she has trouble making facial expressions.

jenners

jenners

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 12, 2004 @ 9:44 PM

I used to be addicted to QVC, and am embarassed to admit that I even made sure I tuned in for Kathy Levine's farewell show a few years ago. I've never been disappointed by anything I purchased there, and even love the makeup I've bought (Smashbox). However, since getting satellite and not finding QVC right away in the sea of channels I've also not missed it.

I did check in on it a few days ago and saw that the Quacker Factory lady was still on. I always have wondered how it's possible that she sells enough to come back on a regular basis. I always feel sorry for the hosts that have to dress up in her crappy holiday sweaters during her stints on air. The only other show that rivalled this in craptastic costuming was the Kirks Folly lady. The hosts had to dress up as freakin' fairies for that one.

Theredqueen

Theredqueen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 13, 2004 @ 3:12 AM

Ok first think first, I need to confess my deep love for dlstx for making this thread.

Hi my name is Melanie and I'm addicted to QVC. Seriously, I have a very unhealthy obsession with QVC, I must seek professional help for it one day but untill then I have TWoP.

The Quaker factory lady- Does she have a headband in EVERY colour of the rainbow? I'm starting to wonder if that damn headband holds on the top part of her head. And who buys thoes sweaters that she makes anyways?

Kirks Folly- SCARY! Too much glitter and angels, and glitter, and fairies, and glitter!!

"The Morning Show"- The female host, what in the hell happend to her mouth?! Did she get some serious collagen(sp?) injections or somthing?

glstx

glstx

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2004 @ 8:51 AM

Yeah! You guys are great. It's okay that we are addicted to QVC, it really is - as long as you aren't purchasing more than you can afford to.

I actually bought something from Kirk's Folly. I never wear it, but I had to have it. It was a genie lamp pin and my first name is Genie, I couldn't resist.

I have tons of cooks essentials stuff and I love it. It really is good cookware. I have like 2 pieces of Diamonique. Stick with the small stuff, it looks more real than the big stuff. I also bought the reel mower. Love it.

The other night they were showing some of the people who were in the studio for a special tour. They showed this heavier older lady and they asked her what she bought. "I love Quacker Factory" she said and demonstrated how she was wearing one of those cutesy sweaters, "and I love Jeanne Bice". Scary.

I kind of feel sorry for the hosts too. They have to make everything sound so great that you know isn't. One thing I've noticed in that vein is Lisa Robertson goes on and on about how great Nick Chavez's products are, but girlfriend obviously doesn't use them because her hair is so limp and lifeless. I have limp lifeless hair too, but that's why I keep it short.

texplant

texplant

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 13, 2004 @ 9:51 PM

Theredqueen, I thought the Morning Show host was looking a little strange lately. I have bought a Royal Palace rug, a silver necklace, a toy for Babyplant, and a dvd player. I love when they put things on easypay. I really want a Rowenta iron does anyone know if they are worth it? Sometimes Lisa Robertson looks so pretty other times she looks like she tripped an fell into her Smashbox collection. Has Jacqui Gonzales (I think that's right) being looking a little dull lately?

starwannabe

starwannabe

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2004 @ 8:52 AM

Ooh, thanks for this thread. I don't watch TV in the mornings, so I was wondering who's hosting the QVC morning show. Is it Pat James DeMentri?

Is there anyone else besides me who absolutely cannot stomach Lisa Mason? Her voice really bugs me and her wide bug eyes really creep me out. Oh well, I guess my avoidance of her saves me money I would have otherwise spent on Diamonique.

Does anyone know what happened to Paul Deasy? He disappeared rather quietly, so I'm suspecting that maybe he got let go for some reason.

Count me as one who would never be caught dead in anything Quacker Factory.

jenners

jenners

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 14, 2004 @ 11:22 PM

The host that caught me off guard after he left was Steve Bryant. He disappeared and then one day he was on a low quality informercial selling guitars.

Ok, I think it's sad that I remember these people by name.

Edited by jenners, Jun 14, 2004 @ 11:23 PM.

FunGirl

FunGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2004 @ 8:31 AM

Just Googled Paul Deasy and saw on a random board that he married Judy Crowell??? Had anyone else heard this???

Theredqueen

Theredqueen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 16, 2004 @ 3:34 AM

I wonder if Nick Chavez has ever given any of the models whiplash with the way he yanks there heads around like they are bobble head dolls. I was watching him a few nights ago and he yanked out a hair curler from this one womans head but it didn't come out and her head snapped back realy hard. She had tears in her eyes. I laughed, allot....and that's why I'm going to hell.

Annlindgk

Annlindgk

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2004 @ 10:03 PM

FunGirl, Paul and Judy were indeed married for a short time--they even showed off honeymoon pictures on the air. They went kerblooey in just a few weeks amid rumors that one of them (can't remember which) was gay. He left QVC shortly thereafter.

And yes, starwannabe, Pat James DiMentri hosts The Morning Show. Word to those who have commented on her odd look lately. I was switching around one morning and actually thought they'd brought in a new host. When I realized it was Pat, I was shocked.

I actually met Steve Bryant once and thought he was an exceptionally nice fellow. Shame he's not at QVC any more.

jenners

jenners

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 16, 2004 @ 11:13 PM

FunGirl, Paul and Judy were indeed married for a short time--they even showed off honeymoon pictures on the air. They went kerblooey in just a few weeks amid rumors that one of them (can't remember which) was gay. He left QVC shortly thereafter

Wow. If this is accurate then that would be the second micro/JLo-esque marriage for Ms. Crowell. Anyone remember back in the early 1990s when she married that Jeff guy. They were talking about it on air all the time, it was a huge deal, and they got divorced after a month or two.

Again. Sad that I remember all these things.

texplant

texplant

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 17, 2004 @ 1:55 AM

Judy Crowell was married to Jeff Hewson about 10 years ago but the marriage only lasted a few months. Paul Deasy and Judy Crowell are still together. They were married in the late summer / early fall of 2003. Because of what happened with her first marriage they kept the romance very quiet and private. I don't think she even wore her wedding rings while she was on air.

Annlindgk

Annlindgk

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2004 @ 10:30 AM

My bad--I can't keep most of these people straight. (Sigh.)

FunGirl

FunGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2004 @ 12:09 PM

Thanks for the scoop! (Or is it sad that I consider information on shopping channel personalities "scoop"?)

Anyway, thanks!

jmr

jmr

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2004 @ 8:45 PM

I really want a Rowenta iron does anyone know if they are worth it? - texplant

Oh my, yes! I have one and it's wonderful. Just like buttah when you iron. I have tons of stuff from QVC. I have a lot of Diamonique. I use the Bare Escentuals line. I have Royal Palace rugs. You name it, I've probably tried it.

The 411 on Judy Crowell was like, wow! I, too, remember her fiasco marriage to Jeff Hewson. Kathy Levine wrote about it in her first book about basically what an asshat control freak Jeff turned into after the marriage. Kathy found out when she was supposed to do a show with Joan Rivers but her back went out or something and Judy had to sub for her. Judy called her in tears because she knew Joan would be loaded for bear asking her questions about the honeymoon. Kathy tried to make her feel better by telling her that, in reality, Joan is actually a very caring person. IIRC, Joan did ask Judy a question on the air but could immediately tell that Judy's heart wasn't in her answer and left her alone. The story came out soon afterwards and Jeff left the network not long after that. Sounds like he was a bit of a stalker, too. If she's truly with this new guy, I hope it works out for them.

I miss Kathy Levine. She was the best. I think she pitches some line on HSN now but I'm exclusive to QVC.

Great thread!

Edited for spelling.

Edited by jmr, Jun 19, 2004 @ 8:48 PM.

glstx

glstx

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2004 @ 9:52 PM

Rick Domeier - meterosexual or totally gay? He's the only guy that does the jewelry shows I think. Are all the other guys, "No way," or what?

jmr

jmr

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2004 @ 12:49 AM

Good point about Rick, glstx. I hadn't seen/heard him in awhile. When I was channel surfing the other night I heard a voice that I couldn't peg and it was him. He sounded quite different.

jellyeggs

jellyeggs

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2004 @ 10:39 PM

Any HSN viewers here? I mostly watch these channels every now & then to see the sexy models/hostesses/guests like Bobbi Ray Carter, Patti Reilly, Callie Northhagen & Suzanne Somers. Any hosts, etc. catch your fancies?

FunGirl

FunGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 22, 2004 @ 1:18 PM

I'm pretty sure Rick is married with a child or two. Perhaps he's the only guy who successfully sells the jewelry? I've seen other men sell it on QVC, abeit not as often as the women.

sbsbea

sbsbea

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 24, 2004 @ 9:12 AM

I haven't seen Jill Bauer or Kim Parish on QVC lately. Did they make the exodus with Jane Rudolph Tracy and Judy Crowell?

I also have to agree that Pat James Dementri should look into a different plastic surgeon. Her eyes and lips are way overdone.

starwannabe

starwannabe

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2004 @ 10:29 AM

Jill Bauer is still there -- she got married recently. Don't really know about Kim Parish.

David Venable -- Totally gay or totally gay?

sbsbea

sbsbea

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 24, 2004 @ 11:18 AM

David Venable -- Totally gay or totally gay?

My vote would be for gay. However, I also thought that Judy Crowell might be a lesbian. It shocked me when I learned that she and Paul Deasy were married.

FunGirl

FunGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2004 @ 1:47 PM

texplant, Rowenta Irons ROCK! You can iron everything with just one stroke, so it takes just moments to iron an article of clothing!

jmr

jmr

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 25, 2004 @ 9:36 PM

Jane Rudolph Tracy left QVC?! Who's doing the silver shows now? I remember that was always her "gig".

Ananayel

Ananayel

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2004 @ 10:05 PM

HSN and QVC watcher here. At last, a place to talk about my sad addiction to watching shopping channels. I have been watching HSN for years, back when it was just one host sitting at a table with crappy graphics, and all you could see of them was chest up. I was up late one night and Barbara Marville was waxing rhapsodic about some citrine earrings, and starting yammering on about how they were little bits of sunshine dangling from your earlobes. I know it must be hard to come up with things to talk about and make the items interesting, but really. Oh, how I did laugh. They used to have an Indian (I think) host named Sean Mahabir who I always thought was hot. And the collectible doll shows (which they don't seem to have as many of now) were totally creepy. And Ivana Trump's clothing line--anyone remember that? Farrah Fawcett used to have a jewelry line. And Jewel Queen, anyone? Anyone? Now, Suzanne Somers and Colleen Lopez are a riot, and I even have some SS jewelry that is pretty decent (just some small things.)

I love the Serious Skin Care line from HSN. It really is the only thing that has worked on my skin, and I have tons of it. It took me a while to get over the whole Slyvester-Stallone's-wife thing, but I'm glad I did. I haunt the HSN clearance section on hsn.com.

As for QVC, I also have Bare Escentuals makeup and love it. Mostly because I can do it quickly with a minimum of fuss. Get a huge kick out of watching Victoria Principal (no work done there-snort!) and Tony Robbins, who for me is like watching a horror show, he's so skeevy. And I went to college with David Venable (go Heels!), he was the president of my senior class. I was visiting family years ago, surfing past channels because I didn't have cable at home and was indulging my whims, and heard a familiar voice. Lo and behold, my senior class president, hawking cookbooks on QVC. That makes one of us using the major. He really is a very nice guy, whatever else he may be.